Stack fan coil units, 2-pipe, 4-pipe or 2-pipe with electric heat for furred-in or exposed cabinets that are floor mounted in multi-story buildings.
1.02 QUALITY ASSURANCE
Units shall be tested and certified in accordance with AHRI standard 440, latest edition. All units shall have C-ETL-US listing signifying the units have been examined by ETL and are in compliance with both the US and Canadian applicable standards. Each coil shall be factory tested for leakage at 300 psig air pressure with coil submerged in water. Insulation and adhesive shall meet NFPA 90A requirements for flame spread and smoke generation.
1.03 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
Unit shall be handled and stored in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
Factory assembled, stack fan coil units. Units are complete with water coil(s), fan(s), motor(s), drain pan, and all required wiring, piping, controls, and special features. Standard insulation shall be dual density fiberglass insulation.
B. Cabinet Stack Unit (42SH):
Outside panels are made of 18-gage galvanized steel coated with baked-on enamel finish and are fabricated with no exposed fasteners. The interior surfaces shall be lined with 1/2-in. thick fiberglass insulation. The standard cabinet unit has factory-installed double deflection discharge grille(s) and stamped supply grille. Controls are factory wired and mounted in small access panel at front of unit.
C. Furred-In Stack Unit (42SG):
The unit shall be constructed of 18-gage galvanized steel frame and 18-gage galvanized steel back panel. The fan coil is for furred-in installation. These units are designed to have the wallboard applied directly to the unit surface and all openings have standard 1/2-in. thick fiberglass insulation. Units have double deflection aluminum discharge grille(s) and painted, stamped (standard) or bar-type aluminum (optional) return-air grille panel. Removable return-air grille provides access to all internal piping and wiring. Controls are provided with a quick disconnect plug for field-mounting on front of unit.
D. Back-To-Back Furred-In Stack Units (42SJ):
The open unit shall be constructed of 18-gage galvanized steel frame and 18-gage galvanized steel back panel. These units are similar to the 42SG but are actually two completely separate units contained in one cabinet that share a common set of risers. These units are designed to have the wallboard directly applied to the unit surface and openings have standard 1/2-in. drywall flanges. The interior surfaces shall be lined with 1/2-in. thick fiberglass insulation. Units have double deflection aluminum supply grille(s) and painted, stamped (standard) or bar-type aluminum (optional) return-air grille panel. Removable return-air grille provides access to all internal piping and wiring. Controls are provided with a quick disconnect plug for field-mounting on front of unit.
E. Universal Furred-In Stack Units (42SU):
Units shall be constructed of heavy-gage galvanized steel frame and back panel. Interior surfaces shall be lined with standard fiberglass insulation. Units shall be designed to have wallboard applied directly to the unit surface. All units shall include a return air block-off panel. Units shall have an optional double deflection aluminum discharge grille(s) or an optional arctic white painted double deflection discharge grille(s). Unit shall have an arctic white painted stamped steel return air access panel. Removable return air/access panel shall provide access to all internal components. Controls shall be provided with a quick-connect plug for field-mounting of thermostat on the front of unit. Units shall have stainless steel hose kits.
F. Mega Furred-In Stack Units (42SM):
Units shall be constructed of heavy-gage galvanized steel frame and back panel. Interior surfaces shall be lined with standard fiberglass insulation. Optional anti-microbial fiberglass, foil faced or closed cell insulation is available. Units shall be designed to have wallboard applied directly to the unit surface. Controls shall be factory wired and accessible from the front of the unit. Return air/ access opening shall provide access to all internal components. All valve package piping to the coil(s) shall be factory installed.
G. Drain Pan:
Drain pan shall be formed of 18-gage steel and shall be coated inside with fire-retardant closed-cell foam insulation. Water never touches the metal pan, eliminating the possibility of corrosion. On 42SG, SH, and SJ units the drain is factory piped to the drain riser that has a removable “P-trap” allowing easy cleaning. On 42SU and 42SM units, the drain pan shall be field piped to the drain riser with a removable/ cleanable “P-trap.” On 42SM units, the standard drain pan is stainless steel, externally coated with a 2-part closed cell foam insulation.
A filter track complete with 1-in. non-woven synthetic throwaway filter shall be installed in the unit. Optional filters are available.
1. Centrifugal fan shall be directly driven by an electric motor.
2. Fan wheel shall be double-width type with forward-curved blades and shall be statically and dynamically balanced.
3. Fan wheel and scroll shall be constructed of galvanized steel.
4. Fans shall be easily removable.
1. Standard base unit shall be equipped with a 3-row coil for installation in a 2-pipe system. Additional coil depth and circuiting shall be provided for installation in a 4-pipe system as described in the Special Features section.
2. All coils shall have 1/2-in. copper tubes and aluminum fins with 14 fins per inch spacing; coil fins are mechanically bonded to copper tubes. The copper tubes comply with the ASTM B-75. The fin thickness is 0.0045-in. and tube thickness is 0.016 inches. All coils are tested with air at 300 psig under water.
3. Coil shall be equipped with a manual air vent and shall be piped to supply and return risers with valves as specified on the equipment drawings. For 42SU and 42SM units, coil is not piped to risers, which shall be shipped separately.
4. Piping between hot water coil and risers shall include loops to compensate for maximum riser expansion and contraction of 11/2-in. on 42SG, 42SH, and 42SJ units. On 42SU and 42SM units, a flexible hose is included.
K. Flexible Hose for 42SU abd 42SM Fan Coil:
a. Hose shall have an external component constructed of stainless steel 304L wire braid with an internal core tube of EPDM rubber.
b. Hoses shall have 37.5 degree female swivel crimp on fittings on either end for attachment to brass 1/2-in. male adapters.
c. Hoses shall be assembled with a patented process which bonds the tube to the outer braid, minimizing the possibility of the hose assembly kinking during installation.
d. All hoses shall be equipped with permanently installed (crimped) end fittings to eliminate the possibility of bands or clamps loosening and creating leaks.
e. Plated steel hose swivel fittings and brass adapters shall reduce the possibility of overtorquing.
a. Hoses shall meet UL-94 VO rating listed as Underwriters Laboratories Yellow Card number QMFZ2.E80017.
b. The 1/2-in. hoses shall be rated for a maximum working pressure of 400 psig and burst pressure of 1600 psig.
c. Temperature range for hose assemblies shall be –40 to 200 F.
d. Hoses shall be field connected.
e. Torque specifications for hose connections shall be 350 in.-lb +10/-0 in.-lb to prevent leaks.
1. Standard factory-furnished and installed risers shall be up to 119 in. long with 3-in. belled ends at the top for floor to floor dimensions up to 117 in. For floor to floor dimensions greater than 117 in., 104 in. risers will be provided with riser extensions up to 24 in. long.
2. Supply and return risers shall be 3/4-in. to 2 1/2-in. diameter.
3. Risers shall be Type M or L copper insulated with 1/2-in. or 3/4-in. thick closed cell insulation.
4. Optional riser chase on 42SGA for application of wall board directly to the chase.
The factory furnished or installed risers shall have ball valves except on the drain riser.
N. Controls and Safeties:
Unit shall come with no controls unless control package is selected.
Unit fan motor shall be equipped with thermal overload protection with automatic reset.
O. Operating Characteristics:
1. A unit with a conventional coil, installed in a 2-pipe system, shall be capable of providing heating or cooling as determined by the operating mode of the central water supply system.
d. Motorized control valves shall be rated at 300 PSI with 150 PSI close-off pressure differential, and rated to operate with fluid temperatures from 40 to 180 F. Normally closed valves shall be powered open with spring driven closure.
* 4. Unit shall be equipped with 3-way motorized valves.
5. Fixed flow valve(s) shall be factory installed as shown on the equipment drawings.
* 6. Motor shall be 3-speed, single-phase, 60 Hz permanent split capacitor type for 208, 230 or 277 volts or 50 Hz permanent split capacitor type for 220 volts.
7. Motor shall be ECM motor for single-phase, 60 Hz, 115, 208, 230, or 277 V.
* 8. Double-deflection aluminum finish supply grille(s) shall be finished for field installation.
9. Double-deflection aluminum finish supply grille(s) with opposed blade damper shall be furnished for field installation on two or more discharge units.
10. Ceiling skirts for exposed stack units shall be provided for field trim and installation.
11. A fresh-air opening shall be provided as shown on the equipment drawings.
*12. One-in. thick cleanable filters, pleated MERV 8 filters, or pleated MERV 13 filters shall be installed in the filter track.
13. Unit shall be equipped with nichrome wire electric strip heaters for total or auxiliary electric heat as specified on the equipment schedule.
a. Heaters shall be protected by an automatic reset safety cutout switch and a fusible link.
b. Heater capacity shall be as specified on the equipment schedule.
d. Electric heaters shall include thermal overload protection with fusible link back-up.
e. Units with electric heat shall also include blower motor and control sub-fusing.
14. Fused or unfused service switch shall be provided. Switch shall be suitable for single phase, 60 Hz service for 115, 208, 240 or 277 volts as specified on the equipment schedule.
15. Panels of 42SH unit shall be painted with the color specified on the equipment schedule.
16. Return air panels shall be supplied as shown on the equipment drawings.
17. Tamper-proof fastners (Allen head) shall be installed on the access panels on cabinet models.
18. A stainless steel drain pan shall be available for factory installation.
19. Factory-installed insulation options shall include foil faced fiberglass or closed cell insulation (42SG,SH,SJ,SM only).
20. Control Options:
a. Factory installed 24-v transformer and relay board for use, with 24-v controls by others.
b. Carrier’s Debonair® 24-v digital display programmable or non-programmable thermostat, including factory-installed 24-v transformer, relay board, and changeover sensors, as required. Provides automatic fan speed control based on demand.
c. Factory-Installed Carrier Fan Coil Open
Controller: BACnet based communicating controller with pre-programmed control algorithms; including factory-installed 24-v transformer, relay board, supply air sensor, return air sensor, and changeover sensor (as required). Provides automatic fan speed control based on demand.