1. When does the story take place?
1. What is Jacob Marley’s role in the story?
2. List 5 characteristics Scrooge has. Use examples from the story to support your answers.
3. Why do you think Scrooge has such a negative attitude toward the holiday season?
1. Who does Scrooge work with?
2. What is odd about the sign outside of Scrooge’s office?
3. What relative of Scrooge comes to the office? Why is he there? How does Scrooge treat this relative?
4. How does Scrooge feel about Christmas? How do we know? (hint: cite specific examples from the story)
5. What does Crachit ask for?
6. What do the two men who visit Scrooge want?
7. What is the purpose of these two men in the story? Whose character do they help develop, and how do they do so?
1. What does Scrooge say is at the center of Christmas?
2. What strange events occur when Scrooge arrives home?
3. What does Marley drag with him, and why is this important?
4. Why does Marley come to Scrooge?
5. What does Marley say is going to come to Scrooge?
1. Which ghost is the first to visit Scrooge?
2. What reason does the ghost give Scrooge for coming to him?
Act I, scene v
1. Where does the ghost take Scrooge first? Who do they see there?
2. What do we find out about Scrooge as a young boy?
3. What place do Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Past visit second? What happens here?
4. What is the significance of the warehouse for Scrooge?
5. Describe Fezziwig.
6. Describe young Scrooge.
7. Describe what happens between the man and woman at the end of the scene. What is happening and why? How does Scrooge feel about seeing this?