9 September 2012
“A Secret for Two” by Quentin Reynolds
Directions: Answer the following questions in complete sentences. Be sure to
proofread your answers and be prepared to share.
2. How does Pierre feel about Joseph? Why do you suppose the author mentions
that where Pierre lives, both animals and children are given names of saints?
3. How does Pierre greet Joseph every morning? In what way is Joseph compared to
5. Pierre knows all of the families that he serves personally. Based on his
relationships with other characters, what type of person do you suppose Pierre is?
6. Why do you suppose Pierre refuses to retire? What does this suggest about his
relationship with Joseph?
7. Describe the scene the morning that Joseph dies. What sort of mood is being
that Pierre and Joseph shared?
clues foreshadow the revelation at the end?
Directions: Answer the following questions about the following literary terms.
2. What is foreshadowing? What is an example of foreshadowing from the story?
4. What is personification? What human characteristics are given to Joseph?
5. What is the theme of the story?
6. Would this story work in a different setting? Explain.
7. Imagery is used in the story. Give an example of imagery.
not avoid the truck because it was “as though he were blind.” However, the
text tells us that there was a warning yell and the scream of brakes. In your
opinion, do you feel that Pierre knew that the truck was coming and allowed
himself to be killed or was he so depressed that he genuinely did not notice it? Or could there be another explanation? If so, what do you think it is?
Explain your answer using concrete support.
Directions: Choose three quotes from the text and use textual analysis to make
inferences about the message that the author is communicating.
Choose a quote from the text and write it in this column. Make sure you write the page number with the quote.
What is the tone of this quote?
Is there anything particular
about the word choice?
Is there a particular mood that is being established?
Why do you think the author includes this quote in the text? How does it add to the meaning of the story?
Characterization is the way an author develops characters in a story. Sometimes
authors use direct characterization, where they directly tell the reader what a
character is like. Other times they use indirect characterization, where they give the
reader hints or clues about a character through the way the character acts in different
text and then record what can be inferred about the character based on the example.