1. The Department of Electronics organized a Seminar on Project Methodology on 9th July 2013. Dr.Ch.Srinivasu, Reader in Physics, ALC, was the Resource Person. The students of III B.Sc., (Electronics) were introduced to various steps involved in working on science projects and method of project work reporting.
2. The Department of Commerce organized a Seminar on “A Career in Company Secretary” on 17th July 2013. Mr.R.Rama Krishna Gupta, Chairman, ICSI, Hyderabad, was the Resource Person. Students of Commerce and B.Com. Computers as well as Business Administration attended the Seminar
3. The PG Department of Physics organized a Seminar on the topic “Tensors” on 23-24th August 2013 for the first year students. The Resource Person was Mr.Nagi Reddy, Research Scholar, Central University, Hyderabad.
4. The PG Department of Physics organized a Seminar on the topic “Nanoscience and Nano materials” on 12th September 2013. Mr.M.Prasanth Raju, Dept. of Physics, made a PowerPoint Presentation on the seminar topic for the I year M.Sc. Physics students.
5. The Department of Electronics organized a 2-day workshop on “PC Hardware & Troubleshooting” on 3-4th September 2013. Mr.B.Kranti Kumar, Embedded Designer, Q-Technologies, Vijayawada, was the Resource Person. Final year students of B.Sc., Electronics, attended the workshop and were acquainted with Computer hardware, Motherboards, SMPS, printers, Display Units and Antivirus Software Installation. The students also did practicals on Real Time Computer Problems.
6. The PG Department of Physics organized a Seminar on the topic “Thin Film Technology” on 24th October 2013. Dr.M.C.Rao, Dept. of Physics, ALC, the Resource Person, made a PowerPoint presentation on the topic for the I year M.Sc. Physics students.
7. The Department of Computer Science organized a Seminar on “Cloud Computing” for the final year B.Sc.Computer Science students on 12th November 2013. Mr.Mansoor Atif, an alumnus, was the Resource Person.
8. Dr.G.Sahaya Baskaran, Dept. of Physics, conducted a Course on “Microprocessors” to the students of first year Postgraduate Students of M.Sc., (Physics) during 19th September 2013 to 15th November 2013.
9. The Department of Commerce organized a Seminar on “A Career Counselling” on 14th December 2013. Mr.P.V.Narasimha, Director, T.I.M.E. Education Pvt. Ltd., Vijayawada, was the Resource Person. The Seminar focused on “Planning one’s career after completion of Degree Courses, Courses preferable for higher education, Improvement of communication skills, confidence, ability etc., and planning and preparations for getting admission into Management Institutes through CAT/MAT”. Final year B.Com students (General & Computers) attended the Seminar.
10. The Department of Commerce organized a Seminar on “Capital Market Awareness” on 21st December 2013. Mr.M.R.Krishna Prasad, Assistant Manager, National Stock Exchange Pvt. Ltd., was the Resource Person. The Resource Person made a presentation on “Capital Market Structure, DCMAT, Bombay Stock Exchange, National Stock Exchange, investment patterns in stock markets, etc”. Students of Commerce and Business Administration of both UG and PG sections attended the seminar.
11. The Department of Commerce organized a Seminar on “How to face Grooming section in Campus Recruitments” on 11th January 2014. The Resource Person was Mr.S.Bhargav Kumar, Team Leader, G.S.K.Ico, Hyderabad. Students of MBA, final year B.Com. (General & Computers), and B.B.A. courses attended the seminar.
12. The Department of Electronics conducted Technoesis 2013-14–a State Level Quiz and Paper Presentation Competitions, on 31st January 2014. Dr.K.Venkateswarlu, H.o.D. Electronics, Sri YN College, Narsapur, acted as a Judge.
13. The PG Department of Visual Communication organized a one day seminar on Cameras and Video Techniques for Making a Short Film on 10th February 2014. The Resource Person, Fr.Lourdu Raju gave valuable information on the latest models of cameras for video and still photography and clarified the students’ doubts during the interactive session.
14. The PG Dept. of Visual Communication organized an interactive program on 28th February 2014 for its students with the upcoming film hero Krishna Madhav and his crew who were in the city for promotion of their feature film. Led by Mr.T. Raja Kumar and P.John Adinarayana, faculty of the Department, the students in their interaction understood the dimensions of film production, the promotion of feature film and also shared their thoughts with the celebrities.
Radio and Doordarshan talks:
1. Dr.N.Suresh Babu, Dept. of Sanskrit, gave a radio talk on “Nanaphalati kalpalateva bhumihi” in the All India Radio, Vijayawada, on 16th July 2013.
2. Sixteen students of Visual Communication Department participated in a live interactive programme “Teen Time” on All India Radio (Rainbow Krishnaveni FM 102.2), Vijayawada, on 24th July 2013. The programme meant for the students provided an opportunity to focus on their career objectives of the Course they are pursuing. The students discussed the career scopes in advertising, television production, film direction, acting, photography, public relations, journalism, writing, media research, event management, etc. In addition, the students also explained the ongoing campaign on anti-alcoholism being carried out by them.
3. Students of PG Visual Communication Department participated in the execution of Live Radio Program on All India Radio, Vijayawada, on 6th January 2014. The participants who made a live presentation and the topics respectively are: K. Prem Chandh (AMVC 11) on Singing and Music; Bhavan (AMVC 2) on Types of Photography; G. Rajesh (AMVC 3) on Uses of reading books; M. Roshan (AMVC 01) on Making of Short films; and K. Naveen (AMVC 4) on Cinematography techniques
The expansion of Fr. Gordon Library continued on a large scale this academic year too in terms of books and Journals, infrastructure and users.
The Library continued its expansion spree apace this academic year too in terms of books, Journals and infrastructure in tune with the growing number of users.
Addition of a wide range of books on subjects varying from textbooks to religious literature formed part of expansion. And this year’s addition of 1200 books to the existing collection included subjects like Food Technology, Music, Dance, Indian Folk Arts, Computer Animation, & Bio-Informatics. And 162 Journals & Magazines have been renewed this year. An amount of Rs.3,60,000–00 has been spent on purchasing books and renewal of magazines for the U.G. Library.
A total number of 499 books including important books on Competitive Exams and General English have been acquired for the P.G. Library at a cost of Rs.1,71,092/-. 45 National & International Journals & Magazines have been renewed in the P.G. Library at a cost of Rs.1,13,310/-.
To keep pace with the emerging digital advances, our Library also stepped up its continuous efforts to upgrade and update the existing facilities. The E-learning Centre is strengthened with digital server with digital books and journals (both International & National) covering all disciplines.
The third Fr.Gordon Memorial Lecture was delivered by Dr.N.Ramesh Kumar, Special Chief Secretary to the Governor of Andhra Pradesh, an illustrious alumnus, on 23rd February 2014.
Our thanks are due to Dr.G.A.Prasad Rao, the Librarian and Mrs.T.Roja Mani, the P.G. Librarian.
1. A three-Day Induction Programme for the newly recruited faculty members was held under the aegis of Internal Quality Assurance Cell from 03.06.2013 to 05.06.2013. Fr.Dr.G.A.P. Kishore, SJ, Principal, Fr.D.Ravi Sekhar, SJ, Rector and Fr.S.Raju, SJ, Correspondent, were present at the programme that commenced with self introduction by the new faculty members of Inter and PG sections.
On the first day of the Induction programme, the faculty members were introduced to the “History and Traditions of ALC” by Dr.M.Srinivasa Reddy and Dr.G.Sahaya Bhaskaran while Mr.K.V.Vijaya Babu and Mr.G.M.Srirangam spoke about “Effective Classroom Management–I” and “College Autonomy” respectively.
On the 2nd day, the members of faculty were acquainted with the “Choice Based Credit System” by Mr.G.M.Srirangam; while Dr.T.Srikumar spoke about “Effective Classroom Management–II” and Dr.G.Srinivasa Rao and Mr.K.V.Vijaya Babu dealt with “Techniques of Teaching & Microteaching”.
On the concluding day, Dr.G.Srinivasa Rao and Mr.K.V.Vijaya Babu spoke about “Microteaching” and the three-day Induction Programme concluded with Valedictory Session
2. The Annual Staff Orientation Programme for the faculty members of Degree and Postgraduate sections for the academic year 2013-2014 was held under the aegis of Internal Quality Assurance Cell on 6-7th June 2013 on the topic “Faculty Professional Enrichment Programme”. All the officials of the College and faculty participated in the Orientation Programme. On the first day, the Resource Person Mr.G.C.Pande, General Manager & Principal, State Bank Institute for Rural Development (SBIRD), Hyderabad, gave a talk on “Innovation in Curriculum Design & Development”. The talk was followed by a workshop on Curriculum Design & Development and Group Presentations
On the 2nd day, the Resource Person Mr.A.Vithal Rao, Controller of Exams, P.B. Siddhartha College of Arts & Science, Vijayawada, gave a seminar on “Innovations and Reforms in Examination System in Autonomous Colleges”. And the seminar was followed by a workshop on Scientific Designing of Question Papers and Group Presentation, followed by valedictory session.
3. An Orientation Session on Project Work has been conducted for the newly recruited faculty members on 15th June 2013. Thirty faculty members attended the session.
4. Orientation Programme for the First Year Degree students was held on 24th June 2013. The forenoon session was introductory session and the afternoon session was allotted for Departmental Orientation. Students were acquainted with various aspects of the College viz. Exams, Library, Student Activities, NCC, NSS, NGC, Extension, Mentoring & Counselling, AICUF, Sports & Games, Women’s Cell and Placement Cell. Officials of the respective branches briefed the students. All the officials of the College were present at the Orientation Programme.
5. Facial Painting: The Department of Visual Communication organized a Facial Painting Competition on the theme Anti-Alcoholism entitled All Ka Hell – Say No To Alcohol, Yes To Life on 5th July 2013 as a Campaign Strategy to create awareness about the ill effects of alcoholism. About 250 students including girls from various Colleges of the city enthusiastically participated in the competition, portraying hazardous impacts of alcoholism. Besides the officials of the College, faculty of the Department, popular TV artist Atluri Hemanth and Rev Sr.Alberta, Correspondent, Maris Stella College, Vijayawada, were present at the event. Sr.Alberta exhorted the students to uphold the spirit of service to the society.
6. Blood Grouping: The Indian Red Cross Society in association with our College NSS units conducted Blood Grouping for our First Year Degree Students on 10.07.2013 in our College Seminar Hall. About 900 students underwent the blood grouping exercise.
7. Inauguration of Departmental Associations: The Departmental Associations for the year 2013-2014 were inaugurated by Mr.S.Khader Rahman, IRS, Additional Commissioner, Customs, Central Excise & Service Tax, an alumnus, at Fr.Devaiah Auditorium on 16th July 2013. The Departmental Associations encourage the students to participate in various co-curricular and extra-curricular activities and provide a platform for participation, to learn the skills of life and to realize and enhance one’s innate potential. Each Departmental Association is represented by a Chairman, Secretary and a Joint Secretary and ably guided by a Staff Member. Dr.N.A.Francis Xavier, Dean of Student Activities, introduced the Student Council for the year 2013-2014 and Office Bearers of the various Associations. The Inaugural of the Departmental Associations was followed by a performance of Telugu Folk Art Forms viz. Dappulu and Kolatam by renowned artists.
8. Environmental Week: The Departments of Botany and Microbiology observed Environmental Week from 18th to 22nd July 2013 to create awareness among the students on the need for protection of environment, need to conserve endemic and endangered plants and reduce pollution by using modern technologies. As part of the Environmental Week, the Departments organized various competitions from 18th to 22nd July 2013 at College level with participants from different Departments.
Essay Writing Competitions - 18th July: Essay Writing Competition was conducted on the topic “Earth for Tomorrow”. 100 students participated in this event. Rev Fr.P.Anil Kumar, SJ, Vice Principal (UG) and Mrs.Glory, Dept. of Microbiology, acted as the judges. The first prize was won by Mr.Arockia Raj (NB 04), while the VVN Ajay (DZ 19) and D.Gayatri (AZ 27) won the 2nd and 3rd prizes respectively.
Drawing Competition on 19th July: Drawing Competition was conducted on the topic “Save Nature” in which 50 students participated. Rev Fr.P Balashowry, Vice Principal (Inter) and Mr.K.Balachandra, H.o.D. Microbiology, acted as judges. The first prize was won by Ms.K Priyanka (NZ 23), while Alex Raja Reddy (AFC 19) and Neethu Prakash (ABBA 11) won the 2nd and 3rd prizes respectively.
Slogan Writing Competitions on 20th July: Slogan Writing Competition was conducted on the topic “Need for Protection of Environment” in which 200 students participated. Dr.T.Rose Mary and Mr.P.Srinivasa Rao, Dept. of Botany, acted as the Judges. The first prize was won by N Sridhar (DGH 03), while Sri Sarasija (AP 48) and Tony Yesudas (DB 02) won the 2nd and 3rd prizes respectively.
One-day Seminar on Ecological Consequences for Sustainable Development on 22nd July: The Departments organized a one day Seminar on the topic “Ecological Consequences for Sustainable Development” with Dr.P.Brahmaji Rao, Associate Professor, Dept. of Environmental Sciences, Acharya Nagarjuna University, as the Resource Person. He emphasized the importance of preservation of germ plasm, maintaining gene banks for future generations and bio-remediation process for reducing pollution.
Mendel’s Day: The observance of Environmental Week concluded coinciding with the observing of the Mendel’s Day on 22nd July. Dr.Mrs.N.Vidya Khanna, Director, Janasikshana Sansthan, Vijayawada, the Chief Guest, in her message, emphasized the importance of Youth in the Conservation Aspects and motivated the students to make use of the facilities being provided by the government for the environmental protection. All the officials of the College, faculty and students of Biological Sciences were present at the events.
9. Commemoration of the 42nd Death Anniversary of Gurram Joshua: The Department of Telugu commemorated the 42nd Death Anniversary of Navayuga Kavichakravarthi Gurram Joshua on 24.07.2013. The occasion was marked by the Department releasing a book entitled “Vachana Gabbilam” written by Late Chavvaka Ramakrishna. Faculty of the Department and students of AET, NET, DET, AMAS & NMAS sections participated in this programme.
10. Blood Donation Camp: The Indian Red Cross Society Blood Bank under the aegis of our College NSS Units conducted a Blood Donation Camp on 25.07.2013. The Blood Bank takes care of the needs of deserving people. A total number of 187 students donated blood on this occasion. Smt.Sunitha, IAS, Commissioner of Collegiate Education, AP, Hyderabad, who is on an official visit to the College, visited the Camp and appreciated the students for donating blood. Sri Illa Ravi, General Secretary, IRCS, Dr.A.Madan Mohan, were present at the Camp, besides the officials of the College and NSS Units.
11. Mobilography: The PG Department of Visual Communication organized the annual Mobile Photography Competition “Mobilography” on 29th July 2013 to bring out the hidden talents of the students. About 300 students of both the UG and PG Sections enthusiastically participated in the competition and proved that they are capable of putting mobile phones to good use to hone their creative skills and submitted photographs taken on their mobile phones on given topics viz. Natural Beauty, Traffic Rules, Myths, Culture, Technology, Disasters and Social Problems. Of the entries received from the participants, the Department selected 90 entries and displayed them as an exhibition which attracted about 2500 student-visitors. Rev Fr.S.Raju, SJ, Correspondent and Rev Fr.Rex Angelo, SJ, Vice Principal (PG) were present at the inaugural. The event was organized under the supervision of Mr.T.Rajkumar and Mr.P.John, faculty of the Department. The first prize was won jointly by V Stepehn Raj and Prem Chand of first year VisCom course, while the 2nd and 3rd prizes were bagged by K.Kumar Teja Reddy (II M.Sc.) and Rakesh of B.Sc.Visual Communication.
12. Youth Sensitization Programme on Environmental Awareness: YOU-SEE
The Department of Botany organized a Youth Sensitization Programme on Environmental Awareness-YOU-SEE, College-School programme, at St.Mary’s English Medium High School, Ravipadu, Guntur Dist. on 28th November 2013. As part of this programme, the Department organized staff orientation programme, career guidance and environmental awareness programme for the students. Dr.B.Siva Kumari, H.o.D. Botany and Dr.T.Sri Kumar, Dept. of Physics, delivered talks on the Role of Teachers in the Present Day Society and their Responsibility towards the Community Development.
Dr.B.Siva Kumari delivered a talk on the need for environmental awareness and Dr.T.Srikumar gave a talk on career guidance for X Class students.
13. Free Eye Check-up Camp:The Postgraduate Section conducted a free Eye Check-up Camp on 2nd October 2013 for its students. Vason Eye Care, Vijayawada, facilitated the Camp.
14. World Aids Day: To mark the World AIDS Day, the NSS Volunteers took out a Rally in collaboration with the AIDS Control Board, Krishna District, from Old Government Hospital to Railway Institute, S.N.Puram, on 1st December 2013. About 150 volunteers, carrying placards and raising slogans to create awareness among the general public, took part in the Rally led by the Programme Officers of NSS.
15. All Ka Hell - A Campaign against Alcoholism:
The Department of Visual Communication conducted a Social Campaign entitled ‘All Ka Hell- Say No to Alcohol Yes to Life’ from July to December, 2013 in order to create awareness about the ill-effects of alcoholism among the general public of Vijayawada city, As part of the Campaign, the students organized various awareness events viz. Promotional Logo, Flash Mob, Signature Campaign, Street Plays and Marathon that successfully reached out to 10,000 odd people with its social message. The Campaign began on July 5, 2013 with Facial Painting Competition to highlight the hazardous effects of alcoholism. Students from local Colleges portrayed the horrible sights of alcoholism. Rev.Fr.Dr.G.A.P.Kishore, S.J. Principal, underlined the importance of the Campaign on anti-alcoholism. Rev.Sr.Alberta, Correspondent, Maris Stella College, encouraged the students to uphold the spirit to serve the society. On 4th December 2013, the Department organized a Flash Mob on the campus in which a good number of students made an extempore dance performance, portraying the unity of students to address the issue. The performance motivated other departmental students to fight against this social menace.
Rev.Fr.Dr.Rex Angelo, Vice-Principal (P.G.), inaugurated the Campaign Logo and lauded the Department as well the students for the innovative initiatives being undertaken to create awareness about the ill-effects of alcoholism among the people in the city.
Rev. Fr. S. Raju, Correspondent, launched the Signature Campaign by affixing his signature. He voiced concern over rampant alcoholism which is gripping the contemporary younger generations. Rev.Fr.Dr.G.A.P.Kishore, SJ, Principal, endorsed the Signature Campaign by affixing his signature.
Students also staged a Street Play, scripted and directed by themselves, that captured the general public’s attention in the thoroughfares of the city.
In a first of its kind, the students of Visual Communication Department, along with their other departmental counterparts, took part in the Marathon which started from Indira Gandhi Municipal Corporation to Andhra Loyola College. On its way, the general public also joined the students and raised slogans against alcoholism.
16. Women’s Cell Activities: The Women’s Cell in Collaboration with Vasavya Mahila Mandali, Vijayawada, conducted a Signature Campaign on 33% Women Reservation on 12th October 2013. It also organized, in collaboration with the All India Democratic Women Association (AIDWA), a Guest Lecture on the topic “Atrocities against Women” delivered by Ms.K.Swarupa Rani, General Secretary, AIDWA, on 7th December 2013.
17. Science Exhibition: The PG Departments of Physics. Chemistry, Biotechnology and Visual Communication organized Science Exhibition on 4th November 2013. Rev.Fr.A.Theckmury, Advisor, Alumni Association, ALC, and Rev.Fr.Dr.Rex Angelo, Vice-Principal (PG) inaugurated the Science Exhibition. All the first year students of M.Sc., Physics, Chemistry, Biotechnology and Visual Communication Courses actively took part in the Exhibition and displayed and demonstrated the various devices related to their respective subject concepts. Faculty members of Physics, Chemistry and Biotechnology Departments conducted innovative experiments related to their subjects to inspire the young minds towards science and technology. Faculty of the Visual Communication Department created awareness among the visiting students about the camera, photography, editing, mixing, recording, online editing on switcher and production process steps. Around 200 students from various Municipal High Schools in and around Vijayawada city visited the Science Exhibition.
18. Bhavana: The Postgraduate Section’s Cultural Festival “Bhavana 2014-Cultures for Unity” was held on 4-5h February 2014. Sri K Pattabhiramaiah, Director, Kamineni Clinic, Vijayawada, inaugurated the two-day festival. He appreciated the College Management for organizing various cultural programmes and for encouraging students’ participation in extra curricular activities. Dr.P.V.Ramana Murthy, Chairman and M.D. Andhra Hospitals, Vijayawada, also participated in the inaugural. About 500 students from various Departments participated in the festival. As part of Bhavana, competitions in various events were conducted including Fashion Show, Mehendi, Spot painting, Icing the Cake, Fruit and Vegetable Carving, Solo Vocal, Group Dance, Mime, Mismatch, Skit, Rangoli, Mr.Loyola and Ms.Loyola. Mrs.Mary Manjula of MCA Department was the Chief Coordinator of the event. Dr.G.V.Mohan Prasad, M.D. Dolphin Diagnostics, Vijayawada, was the Chief Guest for the valedictory session. The MBA Department bagged the overall championship while the Department of M.Sc., stood the Runners Up. Later, the prize winners in the various competitions were presented with prizes. Rev Fr.D.Ravi Sekhar, SJ, Rector, Rev Fr.S.Raju, SJ, Correspondent, Rev Fr.G.A.P.Kishore, SJ, Principal and Rev Fr.Dr.A.Rex Angelo, Vice Principal (PG) and faculty members of the PG Section were present at the inaugural and valedictory sessions.
19. Manus 2K14: The Department of BBA organized “Manus 2K14: Language of Talents” a State Level Management Fest on 7th February 2014. Prof.P.Rajasekhar, Registrar, Acharya Nagarjuna University, an illustrious alumnus, inaugurated the Fest. About 200 students from different Colleges across the state participated in various events viz Business Quiz, Young Manager, Product Launch, Role Play, Paper Presentation, Treasure Hunt and Dance, conducted as part of the Fest. The overall championship was bagged by Maris Stella College, Vijayawada. Mr.A.Sai Kamal, M.D. Mexican Fried Chicken, was the Chief Guest for the valedictory session of the Fest. Mrs.D.Uma Kumari, H.o.D. Dept. of BBA was the Chief Coordinator of the Fest, while Mr.Mahesh V.Pail was the Student Coordinator.