A Study of Genesis – Chapter 7 GOD SENDS THE FLOOD On the Weather Channel there is a program called, “Storm Stories.” This is the ultimate storm story!
Verse 1 – God invited Noah and his family into the ark. Notice the word, “Come,” (not “Go”) which means that God was already in the ark. God saw the evidence of Noah’s faith. This is the first time “righteous” is used in the Bible. Why was Noah righteous? He was righteous because of his faith. Noah stood out as a believer in a world of unbelievers. The Bible describes Noah as a “preacher of righteousness” (2 Peter 2:5). His life and message spoke of righteousness as he called people to repent and avoid the judgment of God. Verses 2-3 – God told Noah to take seven of each clean animal into the ark. These would be used later for sacrifices (8:20)and for food (9:3). God desires worship and He must be worshiped through a blood sacrifice.
Verse 4 – God allowed one more week for people to repent. God gave ample warning of what would happen. There is in football a “2-minute warning.” God gave a 120-year warning, and then a 1-week warning. This extra week of grace was intended to bring people to repentance. Instead, they used it to treasure up for themselves the wrath of God. Romans 2:4-6 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; who will render to every man according to his deeds.
Don’t mistake God’s patience for lenience.
Verses 5-9 – Noah obeyed God completely. He was now 600 years old. That means he started building the ark when he was 480 years old! Noah was motivated by faith and by fear. Hebrews 11:7By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
Noah had never seen anything like a flood or even rain, yet he obeyed without question.
Verse 10 – The flood came just as God promised (see Genesis 6:13, 17). Verse 11 – The time span of the flood is well documented in chapters 7 and 8. Probably no other event in the Bible is dated so thoroughly as the Flood. In all there are 18 time references to it. Maybe Noah kept a diary. Verses 11-12 – The flood waters came from below and from above the earth. Subterranean waters erupted and the water canopy above the earth collapsed at the same time. This produced tsunamis or tidal waves. This was not just an ordinary rain even, but a supernatural, worldwide release of flood waters.
The flood happened all of a sudden without warning, just as the recent tsunami in southeast Asia caught millions of people unprepared.
Verses 13-15 – Noah’s family and all the animals entered the ark the same day the floodwaters came. Noah didn’t have to go and bring all the animals into the ark. The animals came to him. God brought them to Noah (6:20; 7:9, 15).
Verse 16 – God made Noah safe and secure inside the ark. Noah may have fallen down inside the ark, but he never fell out. Verses 17-20 – This proves the flood was worldwide. At least forty different cultures have a flood story. This is extra-biblical proof that the flood was worldwide. The waters were deep enough to cover the highest mountains. The highest peaks were covered by at least 15 cubits of water (22 feet). The ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat (modern day Turkey). Mount Ararat is 16,254 feet high! Verses 21-24 – Only those in the ark were saved. Outside the ark was total death and destruction.
CHRIST IS OUR ARK OF SAFETY 1. The ark was made of wood, a picture of Christ’s humanity.
2. The ark was lined with pitch, a symbol of Christ’s atonement.
3. The ark had only one door to show that Christ is the only way of salvation.
4. The door was sealed by God to reveal our eternal security in Christ.
5. All who survived inside the ark were saved by grace and through faith.
6. The ark provided protection from judgment and provision for all inside.
BIBLICAL ARGUMENTS FOR A WORLDWIDE FLOOD: 1. The depth of the flood waters. The water rose 22 feet over the highest mountains (7:19-20). 2. The duration of the flood. The waters prevailed five months, then receded slowly (7:24; 8:3, 5, 13, 14). 3. The disaster the flood produced. This was not just heavy rainfall, but a global upheaval (7:11). 4. The dimensions of the ark, which were 450 ft. by 75 ft. by 45 ft. (6:15). The sheer size of the ark implies that the flood was more than a localized flood.
5. The description of the flood by the Apostle Peter. 2 Peter 3:4-64 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. 5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
6. The destruction of the human race. Only eight people were saved alive.
7. The declaration of the Lord that He would not send another worldwide flood (9:11, 15). Obviously there have been many local and regional floods since then.
Back to the Beginning
A Study of Genesis – Chapter 7
GOD SENDS THE FLOOD
Verse 1 – God_______________________________________ Noah and his family into the ark.
God saw the__________________________________ of Noah’s faith.
Verses 2-3 – God told Noah to take_____________________________ clean animal into the ark. Verse 4 – God allowed__________________________________________ for people to repent. Verses 5-9 – Noah obeyed God___________________________________.
Noah was motivated by_____________________ and by________________________.
Verse 10 – The flood came just as_________________________________. Verse 11 – The_______________________ of the flood is well documented in chapters 7 and 8. Verses 11-12 – The flood waters came______________________ and_____________________ the earth.
The flood happened all of a sudden__________________________________________, just as the recent tsunami in southeast Asia caught millions of people unprepared.
Verses 13-15 – Noah’s family and the animals entered the ark____________________________ the flood came.
Verse 16 – God made Noah___________________________________________ inside the ark. Verses 17-20 – This proves the flood was________________________________. Verses 21-24 – Only those in the ark____________________________________.
CHRIST IS OUR ARK OF SAFETY
1. The ark was made of wood, a picture of Christ’s________________________________.
2. The ark was lined with pitch, a symbol of Christ’s_______________________________.
3. The ark had only one door to show that Christ is___________________________ of salvation.
4. The door was sealed by God to reveal our__________________________________ in Christ.
5. All who survived inside the ark were saved_________________________________________.
6. The ark provided___________________ from judgment and_________________ for all inside.