The building at 13904 Cherry Tree Crossing Road was constructed in 1896 by William Berry Early in preparation for his pending marriage to Angela D. Petty. Because of their growing family and the desire for a modern, attractive house, the Early family significantly enlarged their dwelling with the construction of rear additions and the application of Queen Anne-style detailing and ornamentation c. 1910. The Early House is one of the largest and most ornate residential buildings in Brandywine. The house is significant not only as an excellent example of Queen Anne-style architecture in Brandywine, but also for its association with the Early family, a prominent local family that was integral to the development of Brandywine. The William Berry Early House is one of several houses that were constructed by members of the Early family in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries between the railroad tracks of the Popes Creek Line of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad and Cherry Tree Crossing Road. The orientation of the house facing the railroad tracks rather than the road represents the importance of the railroad to the success and growth of the small village of Brandywine. Further, the William Berry Early House is indicative of the growth and success of both a local family and the village they helped establish. Since 1958, when the William Berry Early House was sold by the Early family, the property has been owned by five families. The property is currently owned by Michael and Ginger Fluharty.
Originally constructed as a two-story, three-bay I-house facing the railroad tracks, the dwelling was enlarged c. 1910 with the construction of rear additions, a two-story bay with turret on the southwest (side) elevation, a wrap-around porch, and two-story canted bays on the façade (southeast elevation), all of which are reflective of the popular Queen Anne style. The house sits on a solid foundation that has been refaced with stretcher-bond brick. The wood-frame house and additions are clad with German wood siding. The upper gable ends of the building are clad with square-butt and fishscale wood shingles. The main block of the house is capped by a side-gable roof with overhanging eaves and an ogee-molded boxed cornice with modillions and returns. The main entry is centrally located on the façade and is sheltered by a one-story porch. The half-hipped roof of the wraparound porch is supported by turned wood posts with elaborate sawn brackets and is finished with overhanging eaves and a boxed cornice with modillions. The porch is ornamented with finely detailed spindlework and has a balustrade of turned wood posts. Two-story, three-sided canted bays are located on the outermost bays of the façade. Capped by pyramidal roofs covered with asphalt shingles, the bays are fenestrated with elongated 1/1 vinyl-sash windows with square-edge wood surrounds. All other window openings on the building hold 1/1, double-hung, vinyl sash with square-edge wood surrounds and a wooden lintel. Circa 1910, the dwelling was significantly enlarged with the construction of two two-story, front-gable additions that project from the rear (northwest) elevation. It is possible that what appears to be an addition on the northernmost bay of the rear elevation may actually be an original ell. The entry on the rear of the addition is sheltered by a one-story, three-bay porch. The half-hipped roof is supported by chamfered wood posts and ornamentation includes spindlework, elaborate sawn brackets, and a balustrade of turned posts. The southwest (side) elevation of the addition is dominated by a two-story canted bay capped by a pyramidal turret covered with asphalt shingles. The three-sided bay is fenestrated with single window openings. A single-leaf paneled wood door with a single light is located to the southeast of the bay on the first story. It is sheltered by the wrap-around porch that extends from the main block. A two-story projecting bay is located on the northeast (side) elevation of the dwelling. Capped by a hipped roof, the bay is one bay wide and is fenestrated only on the northeast elevation by single window openings. A greenhouse and two sheds are also located on the 1.1478-acre parcel.