Brgy. Bombongan, Morong, Rizal Owned by Rafael Pacheco where he conducts his art workshops, demonstrations and lectures. It is also a perfect hide-away from the maddening crowd of the metropolis and as a nature sanctuary. One can enjoy a three-in-one view of Morong town with its four-centuries old bell tower.
Taktak Road, Antipolo City The town of Antipolo is well-renowned as the host of Hinulugang Taktak Falls. This mountain resort has picnic cottages, a swimming pool, artificial paths and steps to view the environs and the waterfalls. The month of May attracts thousands of visitors to watch concerts and plays, along with popular activities in the city such as pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, picnics, shopping for native delicacies and dining at native restaurants.
MAN-MADE 1. Hamaka Park
Along the National Road, Antipolo City Named after the term hamaka or hammock. For the many years past, this was the means of transporting ladies on their way to the pilgrimage site of Nuestra Senora dela Paz y Buenviaje (Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage). The hammock was borne by two men who hike up and down the hilly terrain of Antipolo with their precious cargo comfortably settled in the hamaka.
2. Pamitinan Cave and Wawa Dam
Brgy. Wawa, Rodriguez, Rizal
Pamitinan Cave is a historic site. It is where Andres Bonifacio, together with other 8 katipuneros declared independence from Spain on April 12, 1895, a year before the start of the Philippine revolution. The cave still bears the inscription of Andres Bonifacio and his followers: “Viva la Independencia Filipinas”
Wawa Dam is located at the picturesque foothills of the Sierra Madre mountains. It supplies water to parts of the metropolis, passing through large pipes. It has a beautiful gorge which lies between two limestone mountains. Four caves are said to have been inhabited by the Japanese soldiers during the Second World War. Wawa Dam is a key ecotourism site in the Southern Tagalog region.
RELIGIOUS 1. Boso-Boso Church
Brgy. San Jose, Antipolo City The Boso-Boso church was restored from the ruins of a centuries-old church that was destroyed during the World War II. It stands amidst old stones, vines and inspired nature landscaping.
2. Our Lady of Antipolo Shrine
Antipolo City It is known to be the shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage (Nuestra Senora de la Paz y Buen Viaje). History says that this miraculous icon sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco during the years of the galleon trade. On several occasions, the Blessed Virgin was credited with saving the Spanish galleons from destruction by pirates, Dutch and British blockades. The safe arrivals of the galleons were attributed to the miraculous powers of the icon. It was on November 26, 1926 that the Blessed Virgin from Acapulco was dedicated by the Archbishop of Manila, Michael O' Doherty. The month of May is a month-long fiesta in Antipolo, when thousands of devotees come to pay homage to Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.
3. Tanay Catholic Church
The first structure of the church was made of nipa and bamboo when it was built in 1606. The current structure, made of locally quarried stone, was completed in 1680. In 1783, it was reconstructed together with the convent. The church is an example of early Renaissance architecture. It has a four-storey octagonal tower, a façade of adobe blocks, relieved by columns and semicircular arched windows. Its podium is adorned by a niche with a statue of San Ildefonso de Toledo. A convent and a courtyard connect the church to the Catholic school managed by the Diocese of Antipolo. Within are ornate altars with statues of saints. Finely carved, the 200 year-old Stations of the Cross add luster to the antiquity of the church.
4. Baras Church
Baras, Rizal The church is one of the oldest in the area, having been completed in 1686. The first church in Baras was built by the Franciscans in 1595. The town of Baras was transferred to Ibayo in 1636, but the church was returned to the present site in 1682. It was the Jesuits who administered the parish from 1616 to 1679. The altar is unique and stone artifacts were unearthed beneath the church.
5. Morong Church
San Jose, Morong, Rizal St. Jerome Church stands high above the town of Morong. It was built in 1615 by Chinese craftsmen as evidenced by the Chinese-style lions at the entrance to the steep driveway. It took three years to construct the church which was funded by the people of Morong. The stone and mortar church has steps leading up to the front. The cross on the tower is illuminated at night and can be seen clearly from the countryside. It has a tower in front with an imposing statue of St. Michael the Archangel. The three-storey façade which was built in 1850-1853 to support a new bell tower is one of the most splendid examples of baroque architecture in the Philippines. It is in graduated levels, surmounted by a four-storey octagonal bell tower of European influence, with paired columns at the four exterior corners. The ornamentation consists of long, simple nave. The 14 Stations of the Cross are beautifully done. The restoration of the ceiling has been done and old beams are now visible.
6. Ang Kalbaryo
Brgy. Libid, Binangonan, Rizal
Ang Kalbaryo is known not only for its religious significance, but also for its historical value. According to the old folks, a cross-shaped rock suddenly grew out of the summit, but was destroyed by lightning and earthquake. In 1783, the people erected on the same spot, a wooden cross in place of the original cross. A chapel was built on top of a hill overlooking Laguna Lake.