Western route – Coastal Road through the towns of Cavite onward to Nasugbu, Batangas through Aguinaldo Highway
CALABARZON (Cavite-Laguna-Batangas-Rizal-Quezon) route – The highway system and well-developed road network of this region links the province with neighboring provinces with ease and convenience for tourism, trade and commerce.
Major bus companies such as Tritran, Jam, Batangas Express Liner, Triftman, ALPS, CJC Transit ply the well-developed roads to and from Metro Manila and within CALABARZON on a regular basis. Bus terminals are located at Buendia and Taft Avenue, Araneta Center in Cubao, Quezon City and EDSA in Pasay City,
Founded in 1581, Batangas used to be a bigger province composed of the present Batangas, Mindoro, Marinduque and the southeastern portion of Laguna. It used to be called Balayan, with this town as the old capital.
In the 18th century, Marinduque and Mindoro were made into separate provinces. In 1732, the capital was transferred to Taal. Finally, in 1754, the capital was transferred to Batangas and the province was thereafter named after the new capital.
Total Land Area : 316,580 hec.
Population : 1,905,348 as of May 2000
Climate : Naturally Mild; with dry and rainy season
No. of Municipalities/ Cities : 32 municipalities and 3 cities
Capital : Batangas City
1. Batangas City
2. Lipa City
3. Tanauan City
Mataas na Kahoy
General Miguel Malvar Museum and Library
Gen. Malvar St., Sto. Tomas, Batangas A national landmark, it is a repository of the memorabilia of the last Filpino general who surrendered to the Americans. It also houses a collection of oil paintings belonging to the Malvar family.
Apolinario Mabini Shrine ( National Shrine)
Brgy. Talaga, Tanauan City The shrine in Barrio Talaga, Tanauan Batangas, is a memorial to the nationalism of the “Sublime Paralyctic” whose moral convictions and political principles inspired the Filipinos in their search for national identity. It houses the remains and personal memorabilia of the late revolutionary hero, Apolinario Mabini, who is also known as the “Brains of Katipunan.”
Museo ng Batangas at Aklatang Panlalawigan
Provincial Capitol Site, Batangas City The Museo ng Batangas is a modest repository of Batangas memorabilia. It is also an institution engaged in the preservation of the cultural wealth and traditions of Batangas and the Batangueño spirit that has animated the arts and the sciences, politics, economics of the province.
Batangas Memorial Foundation Museum ad Library
V. Ilustre Street, Taal, Batangas
Relics of a glorious past, are displayed in the 18th century house on V. Ilustre Street, Taal. The house contains the Batangas Memorial Foundation Museum and Library. It endured two world wars and underwent two major renovations in 1870 and 1940, to attain its present form. Its heavy doors, black and white marble tiles, and hardwood paneling are all reminiscent of 19th century architecture.
Jose P. Laurel Memorial Library
A. Mabini Avenue, Tanauan City The personal property of the late President Jose P. Laurel is housed here and the collection was donated by the Laurel family to the Philippine Government as a historical site and public library. The library is open everyday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Lipa City The San Sebastian Library of the arts opened its doors on February 10, 1996 starting with a modest collection of art books and memorabilia donated by Mr. Danilo Dolor, a prominent Batangueño and patron of the arts.
Marcela M. Agoncillo Historical Landmark
Marcela M. Agoncillo Street, Taal, Batangas The birthplace of Marcela Agoncillo, the maker of first official Filipino Flag during the Philippine Revolution against the Spanish authorities. The different flags of the revolution are prominently displayed together with the family’s collection of photographs, furniture and memorabilia.
Casa de Segunda Katigbak
198 Calle Rizal, Lipa City The ancestral home of the Katigbaks, a prominent Batangas family. The Casa is a typical “Bahay na Bato”. It is Spanish colonial yet tropical in style. It was named after Segunda Katigbak, reputed to be the first love of Dr. Jose P. Rizal, the Philippine national hero. Casa Segunda is declared by the National Historical Commission as a heritage house, for having harbored generations of artists, poets, and persons of learning and distinction.
Punta de Santiago Lighthouse
Calatagan, Batangas Built in 1890, it is one of the earliest lighthouses that still functions up to the present.
C. Tirona Street, Batangas City It is an example of a beautiful turn-of century residential design. It was originally owned by Mr. Alejo Acosta, the Barrio Captain of Batangas in 1883 and was later acquired and restored by the Pastor family. It is at present maintained as a private residence.
Flights of Steps
Taal, Batangas Connecting the Taal Church and Caysasay Shrine is a flight of 123 rough- hewn marble steps. A path branches off to the Santa Lucia wells. The water is believed to be curative by people of deep faith in the Virgin Of Caysasay.
Santa Lucia Wells
Taal, Batangas About 500 meters off the steps past a dried creek and gloomy undergrowth are the twin wells of Sta. Lucia in Taal. The present site used to be a brook where the Virgin of Caysasay performed miracles and where a church was built by the townsfolk. The violence of the 18th century earthquake sank the church but its half immersed facade remains intact. After the quake, spring water gushed out of the twin doors.
Msgr. Clemente G. Yatco Museum
Basilica Site, Batangas City The museum was built in memory of the late parish priest who started the creation of the museum. It is found within the compound of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception located at the city proper of Batangas.
Ilagan Ancestral House
Marcela Agoncillo Street, Taal, Batangas A well preserved residential structure constructed in the late Spanish period. It is still used by the descendants as a private residence. Visitors are accommodated only by special arrangements with the owners.
Taal Heritage Village
Taal reigns as one of the most architecturally preserved sites of the Spanish colonial era in the Southern Tagalog region, next to Ciudad Fernandina of Vigan, Ilocos Sur.
The beautifully quaint and well-preserved town of Taal showcases its beautiful antillan and art deco period homes; exquisite embroidery craft, old churches and historical landmarks associated with the Philippine revolution.
Leon Apacible Historical Landmark (National Landmark)
The ancestral house of Leon Apacible, one of the heroes of the revolution along with the family’s collection of memorabilia.
Marcela Mariño Agoncillo Historical Landmark
The birthplace of Marcela Agoncillo, the maker of the first Filipino flag during the Philippine Revolution. The different flags of the revolution are prominently displayed together with the family’s collection of photographs, furniture and memorabilia.
Basilica of San Martin de Tours - Taal Basilica
San Martin de Tours is the patron saint of Taal in whose honor a feast is celebrated every November 11. The church was first built by Father Diego Espina in 1575 in the town of San Nicolas. It was destroyed when Taal volcano erupted in 1754. It was rebuilt at the present site in 1755, but was destroyed again by an earthquake in 1849. Construction of the present church was started in 1856, which was supervised by an architect, Lucina Oliver. It was once known to be the biggest church in South East Asia.
The church is unique with design features that combine patriotic, religious and artistic influences. Artists point to the theatrical exuberance of its baroque façade consisting of a single mass of stone shaped with rich complex designs. The church, however, is a fusion of styles with arched openings, alternating segmental canopies and arches of asymmetric shapes.
This centuries-old Spanish vintage edifice used to be an educational institution. It is now an architectural legacy that stands prominently in the town plaza.
Our Lady of Caysasay Church
This church is one of the province’s distinct cultural artifacts from the Spanish colonial period. Among these relics are the 27-centimeter image of the Virgin which was fished out of the waters in 1603. The Augustinian emblems engraved on the communion rails, the ornately carved holy water receptacle, and the few baroque motifs remain on the external frieze. The church has been renovated, but many interesting details of period art can still be appreciated.
Lobo, Batangas Gerthel Beach is one of the finest beaches of the area. The one-kilometer stretch of white sand beach has a gradually sloping ocean floor of up to about two hundred meters before the drop off.
Lobo, Batangas The garden consists of living corals near the shore of one of the beaches of Lobo. It can be clearly seen during the early mornings, when the water is clear and the tide is low.
Mahabang Buhangin Beach
Laiya, San Juan, Batangas Located in the town of San Juan, the area has white sand and a living colony of corals.
Barangay Hugon, San Juan, Batangas The white sand of Hugon Beach is one kilometer long. Some parts of the sea floor have smooth rocks but most are sandy. There is a sudden drop-off of about ten meters from the beach. The waters of the beach are also good for snorkeling.
Daang Ibaan, Batangas City The falls is about 30 meters high with at its base as a swimming area. It is semi-developed with concrete steps built for easy access.
Munting Buhangin Falls
Nasugbu, Batangas This small cove has become a favorite haunt of local and foreign tourists, and offers water enthusiasts with a fine stretch of powdery white sand beach, fringed with foamy blue waters.
Nasugbu, Batangas Natipuan Beach bears a resemblance to Munting Buhangin, with off-white sand and refreshing waters. It is located in another cove, which is similarly accessible.
Taal Lake and Volcano
Taal, Batangas Taal Lake and Volcano in Batangas is one of Southern Luzon’s centerpiece attraction. The gateway for most visitors is through the town of Talisay or Tagaytay City whose ridge gives a panoramic view of Volcano Island. The volcano is known to be the smallest in the world. Surrounded by a lake, the volcano is situated on an 8.8-kilometer islet, lapped by the 27-kilometer-long lake. Both the lake and the volcano are situated at the crater of an extinct volcano. The Volcano Island is also ideal for trekking.
Matabungkay, Lian, Batangas It is a two-kilometer long white sand beach situated in the town of Lian, facing the China Sea. The area is ideal for water sports, such as swimming, boating, yachting, fishing, and skin diving. Dotting the shoreline are several summer cottages.
One of the highest and most prominent mountains in the province, Mt. Maculot is one of the favorite sites of mountain trekkers. It is said that the mountain was the last stronghold of the Japanese Imperial Army. Several tunnels built by the Japanese soldiers are present in the area. The name “Maculot” (meaning “kinky”) was derived from the curly-haired aborigines of the place.
Brgy, Calijon, Malvar, Batangas This tourist attraction consists of two major falls and two smaller ones. One of the bigger falls is about 10 meters high with a great volume of clear water gushing down to a shallow pool. The other one (also about 10 meters high) resembles a bridal gown. One of the two smaller falls is shower-like, while the other one forms a series of small cascades.
Mainit Hot Spring
Brgy. Pulang Bato, San Juan, Batangas Mainit Hot Spring offers therapeutic mineral waters and a refreshing dip for bathers. The spot is ideally located at the foot of a huge mountain with thick vegetation.
Isla Verde, Batangas Located on Isla Verde, Mahabang Buhangin has an extensive stretch of shoreline with a vast ribbon of fine white sand.
Isla Verde, Batangas This is a spot where wind-tossed waves surge against the rocky cliff supporting a long plateau. From atop the plateau, one can catch a breath taking view of the seascape, when the weather is clear and sunny.
Isla Verde, Batangas The site is an ideal place for picnics. Its main attraction is a rock shelter that has provided cool shade for visitors.
Brgy. Ilijan, Batangas City Ilijan is a set of waterfalls with water coming from a big spring on top of a mountain gracefully flowing from one bowl to another. It has seven huge stone bowls carved naturally and beautifully arranged like a flight of stairs.
Maricaban/Tingloy Island, Batangas Located on the southwestern part of Maricaban Island, Sepok Point has white sand and shores typical of a tropical cove; a good place for swimming and snorkeling.
Bulaklakan, Lipa City The area has about three small falls enclosed in a canyon, the highest of which is about 10 feet high, with water coming out of the mouth of a small cave.
Basilica of Saint Martin de Tours
Taal, Batangas Reputed to be the largest in Asia, Taal church stands 96 meters long and 45 meters wide on a plateau in the heart of Taal. The Augustinian Missionaries started construction in 1756 and took a century to achieve its present form. The façade resembles St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. Its tabernacle is made of silver, which is reputed to be the only one of its kind in the Philippines.
Our Lady of Caysasay Church
Taal, Batangas This church is one of the province’s distinct cultural artifacts from the Spanish colonial period. Among these relics are the 27-centimeter image of the Virgin which was fished out of the waters in 1603. The Augustinian emblems engraved on the communion rails, the ornately carved holy water receptacle, and the few baroque motifs remain on the external frieze. The church has been renovated, but many interesting details of period art can still be appreciated.
Church of San Jose
San Jose, Batangas
This church was built by the Augustinian friars around 1788. It has a single-aisled interior, which offers an unobstructed view of the large main altar; ceiling frescoes, and flowery capital on the columns. The altar is massive, with six rounded columns encircling the image of St. Joseph. The church is an interpretation of Baroque architecture in the Philippines, and combines this with the neo-classical lines of the adjacent convent. The pulpit and canopy is a study in intricate carvings of local flora. Outside, a multi-tiered belfry was built in the later years of the 19th century. A bridge offers passage to the church over the Malaquing Tubig River.
Tanauan, Batangas This church was built in 1881, along the Romanesque lines of churches in Europe, but local builders incorporated neo-classic lines, especially along the external sides of the church. Rounded arches tapering down to the strong pillars harmonize with uncluttered lines of the central ceilings. The church is remarkable for its wide-open central naves and circular niches.
Church of San Guillermo of Talisay
Talisay, Batangas The construction of the church was begun by the Spanish friars in 1892, but it suffered a heavy damage in 1898. Restoration has enabled the structure to remain functional.
Church of the Immaculate Conception of Bauan
Bauan, Batangas The Church of the Immaculate Conception of Bauan was first constructed in 1700. It was built around neo-classical lines and its walls are broken by the Gothic lancet windows. The altar has a tri-centered arch, with a niche containing the statue of the Virgin. The façade of the church features both geometric and circular forms. It has a bell tower, which is hexagonal and rests on a base decorated with coupled columns. Topped by a campanile, the church is arcaded with capiz shell windows on the upper level.
Carmelite Convent of Lipa
Lipa City This convent of the Contemplative Order of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel was the site of a mysterious “shower of petals” to a visionary nun after World War II. A popular site for devotees of the Virgin Mary.
San Sebastian Cathedral
Built in the Romanesque tradition with a circular dome, massive walls and balconies, the cathedral is the center of worship in the historic town of City of Lipa. The Cathedral was originally built to honor St. Sebastian. Its first grand concept was completed in 1865 but after the devastation of World War II, it underwent massive reconstruction. This beautiful church has an architecture which used columns and light-play. The domes of the church and the bell tower have intricate moldings and arched stained-glass windows. The body of the church is barrel-vaulted and is illuminated by modern chandeliers. The church also features a winding stairway to the choir loft.
Apolinario Mabini Shrine ( National Shrine)
Brgy. Talaga, Tanauan City The Shrine in Barrio Talaga, Tanauan Batangas, is a memorial to the nationalism of the “Sublime Paralyctic” whose moral convictions and political principles illuminated the Filipinos in their search for national identity. It houses the remains and some personal belongings of the late revolutionary hero, Apolinario Mabini, who is also known as the “Brains of Katipunan.”
Gen. Miguel Malvar Museum and Library
Gen. Malvar Street, Sto. Tomas, Batangas A national landmark, it is a repository of the memorabilia of the last Filpino general who surrendered to the Americans. It also houses a collection of oil paintings belonging to the Malvar family.
Museo ng Batangas at Aklatang Panlalawigan
Provincial Capitol Site, Batangas City The Museo ng Batangas is a repository of Batangas memorabilia. It is also an institution engaged in the preservation of the cultural wealth and traditions of Batangas, and the Batangueño spirit that has animated the arts and the sciences, politics, economics of the province.
Marcela N. Agoncillo Historical Landmark
Marcela N. Agoncillo Street, Taal, Batangas
The birthplace of Marcela Agoncillo, the one of the three makers of the first official Filipino Flag during the Philippine Revolution against the Spanish authorities. The different flags of the revolution are prominently displayed together with the family’s collection of photographs, furniture and memorabilia of the Agoncillo family. The same flag was raised at the balcony of the house of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo during the proclamation of Philippine Independence from Spain on June 12, 1898.
Leon Apacible Historical Landmark
Marcella Agoncillo St., Taal, Batangas The ancestral house of Leon Apacible, one of the heroes of the revolution along with the family’s collection of memorabilia.
Jose P. Laurel Memorial Library
A. Mabini Avenue, Tanauan City The personal property of the late President Jose P. Laurel is housed here and the collection was donated by the Laurel family to the Philippine Government as a historical site and public library. The library is open everyday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Bauan, Batangas Coral formations of different types and huge gorgonians abound in the area. It is on the west side of the island.
Brgy. Anilao, Mabini, Batangas Approximately 75 feet south of the Dive 7000 Resort area and about 450 feet, lies a giant rock formation that looks like an underwater amphitheater. Originally virtually barren, the cathedral has been seeded and restored with coral from other sites. Throngs of eager fish gather around visiting divers waiting to be fed.
Brgy. Anilao, Mabini, Batangas This dive site is fairly sheltered. There are no exotic coral formations, but there are plenty of small tropical fish and an interesting drop-off that goes down in graduated steps. A good choice for shallow dives.
Brgy. Anilao, Mabini, Batangas There are coral heads teeming with marine life and the water is usually crystal clear.
Mabini, Batangas The island’s external appearance resembles the shape of a hat. However, underwater, its profile makes its name sombrero even more appropriate. In certain areas, water is fairly shallow on the rim, down to about 50 feet.
Tingloy Island, Batangas The rim of the drop-off west-southwest to Sepok Point is a very good dive site, with varieties of marine life.
Mabini, Batangas This area breaks the surface and then drops down to about 80 feet. This is marvelous area for both wide angle and macro-photography because of the abundant and varied coral formations and fish life.
Tingloy, Batangas There are types of corals numerous enough to fascinate even a marine biologist.
Tingloy, Batangas There is a drop-off topped by a wide variety of coral and inhabited by lots of small reef fish.
Batangas City The most popular dive sites here are the drop-off (0-300 feet) and the remains of a Spanish galleon, which ran aground in 1620.
Maricaban / Tingloy
The island contains a cave at 125 feet, accessed by the tunnel, which makes for challenging adventure. There are excellent coral formations, abundant pelagic fish, and other outstanding photographic opportunities.
Evercrest Golf Club and Resort
This membership golf club with a resort operates a golf shop and a restaurant that overlooks the beautiful golf course.
Calatagan Golf Club
Calatagan, Lian Batangas The golf club holds a unique distinction: it is located in an arboretum where over 3,000 trees of local and foreign species are planted.
3. MOUNTAIN CLIMBING / VOLCANO TREKKING
One of the highest and most prominent mountains in the province, Mt. Maculot is one of the favorite sites of mountain trekkers. It is said that the mountain was the last stronghold of the Japanese in the province before they were defeated. Several tunnels built by the Japanese soldiers are present in the area. The name “Maculot” (meaning “kinky”) was derived from the curly-haired aborigines of the place.
Taal Lake and Volcano in Batangas is Southern Luzon’s centerpiece attraction. The gateway for most visitors is through the town of Talisay or Tagaytay City whose ridge gives a panoramic view of Volcano Island. The volcano is known to be the smallest in the world. Surrounded by a lake, the volcano is situated on an 8.8-kilometer islet, lapped by the 27-kilometer-long lake. Both the lake and the volcano are situated on the crater of an extinct volcano. The Volcano Island is also ideal for trekking.
4. SHOPPING Taal town is popular for its age-old embroidery crafts. Filipiniana attire for men and women features intricate embroidery cutwork and crochet insertions. Balisong (Philippine hand-made fan-knife) as well as rattan, bamboo, and woodcrafts are also excellent buys.
5. NIGHTLIFE In Lipa and Batangas Cities, some business establishments open after sundown, offering an array of activities to include dining, ballroom dancing, live bands, piano bar, videoke singing, and other forms of after-dinner entertainment.
Most resorts offer a wide range of watersports, such as jetski, hobbycat, boardsailing and windsurfing.
Eastern route- Ortigas Avenue through the towns of Rizal and onward to the eastern towns of Laguna through the Laguna de Bay road network;
CALABARZON (Cavite-Laguna-Batangas-Rizal-Quezon) route- The highway system and well-developed road network of this region links the neighboring provinces with ease and convenience for tourism, trade and commerce
Major bus companies ply the well developed roads to and from Metro Manila and within the CALABARZON on a regular basis. Bus terminals are located at Buendia and Taft Avenue and EDSA in Pasay City.
The province of Laguna was named after Laguna de Bay, the body of water that forms the province's boundaries. Laguna de Bay was named after the town of Bay, which was the first provincial capital during the Spanish period. Laguna de bay is the biggest fresh water lake in the country.
Laguna, along with its surrounding areas, was conquered for Spain by Captain Juan de Salcedo in 1571, after which, the Franciscan friars started the Christianization of the province.
The province became a bloody battleground during the Chinese revolts in 1603 and 1693.The succeeding centuries brought rapid progress in agriculture, education, commerce and cultural pursuits. The province bred a large number of intellectuals, businessmen and landowners who benefited from access to education and liberal ideas led by the national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal. Fanned by his execution in 1896, thousands joined the revolution against Spain.
Laguna was one of the first eight provinces to rise in revolt against the Spanish rule. The ill-equipped Filipino forces, led by General Paciano Rizal of Calamba, General Severino Taino of Pagsanjan, General Agueda Kahabagan of Calauan, among others, fought the Spanish authorities and won on August 31, 1898, with the surrender of the last Spanish garrison in Sta Cruz.
On January 23, 1899, Laguna expressed its full support for the First Philippine Republic that was proclaimed in Malolos, Bulacan. Two citizens of Pagsanjan, Don Higino Benitez and Don Graciano Cordero, represented the province during the historic event.
The eruption of the Filipino-American hostilities in 1899-1901 saw Generals Juan Cailles and Paciano Rizal leading the defense of Laguna until surrender was inevitable. Under the American Flag, Cailles was named the first Filipino Governor of Laguna.
After the hostilities, Laguna progressed rapidly. More schools and colleges were established, agricultural production was strengthened, core areas of trade and commerce were established, various public services were instituted and roads were built to link the towns to each other and with the country’s capital in Manila. In 1917, the Manila Railroad Company extended its line to Laguna to as far as Pagsanjan. The abundance of its natural resources, the high literacy rate of its people and the presence of numerous ventures in agriculture, entrepreneurship became the determinant of its eminent position as one of the country’s most developed provinces at the beginning of the 20th century.
Today, Laguna is a bustling province which hosts major export processing zones, light and medium industries and educational institutions. Its fertile lands produce millions of pesos worth of agricultural products. Its tourism assets that dot the province have attracted a multitude of foreign and domestic tourists.
Total Land Area : 175,973 hectares
Population : 1,965,872 Million (NSO 2000 Survey)
Name and Number of Municipalities and Cities :
Laguna is composed of 27 municipalities and 3 cities :
Capital : Sta Cruz
Chartered City : San Pablo City
Component Cities : Calamba City
Sta. Rosa City
November –April - Dry Season
May- October - Rainy Season
Dr. Jose Protacio Rizal Shrine
Calamba Town Proper, Calamba City
This 2 storey, red-tiled roof, typical of the residence of the principalia of the 19th century, is maintained as a National Shrine by the national government. It houses the National Hero’s childhood memorabilia and that of the national hero’s family, ranging from pictures of the late hero, boyhood sculptures of Jose Rizal, to laminated excerpts of some of his best written works. The house is by no means an original one. Except for the old water well, everything is a reconstruction of the original house. The Shrine offers guided tours for groups. It has a gift shop on the ground floor. There is no entrance fee, but donations are welcome. The shrine is open from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, everyday except Monday.
Nagcarlan, Laguna Built in the 18th century by the Franciscan missionaries, the underground cemetery is enclosed by a unique circular structure. The intricately designed wall and wrought iron gate with a red-tiled walk lead to the small chapel, where an altar-like structure is located. The tombstones are embedded on the underground level and brick walls of the cemetery. At the crypt of the cemetery, according to history, is where the local Katipuneros and followers of the secret revolutionary societies called Katipunan, plotted against Spanish rule.
Trece Martires Monument
Sampalok Lake, San Pablo City Constructed through the efforts of the Association of the Deaconess of the Philippine Independent Church in 1927, the monument is in the memory of the 13 martyrs of the Philippines Revolution against Spain.
Trece Martires Street, San Pablo City Located on the southern bank of Sampalok Lake not too far from the City Hall, it was constructed through the initiative of Mayor Vicente Amante and was formally inaugurated on November 30, 1996 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Andres Bonifacio, a leading hero of the Philippine Revolution against Spain. It was designed by a local sculptor from Sta. Cruz, Laguna.
Bantayog ng mga Bayani
Brgy. Sta. Isabel, San Pablo City Commemorative statues to honor the heroism of guerillas who fought during the World War II.
Bantayog ng Kagitingan (Veterans Federation,SPC Chapter)
San Mateo, San Pablo City A commemorative marker constructed in Brgy. San Mateo , 20 minutes drive from the City proper, where regular and special gatherings of war veterans are usually held.
Los Baños, Laguna Four years of war and Japanese occupation destroyed many buildings,roads and bridges in and around Los Baños. In quick succession, the College of Agriculture of the University of the Philippines in Los Banos, became a camp for prisoners of war and as an internment camp for nationals of allied nations during the Japanese occupation of the Philippines. During the dramatic rescue of the Americans and internees by Filipino guerillas and U.S. paratroopers on February 23,1935, the entire campus was razed to the ground. Only Baker Hall, the armory-gymnasium remained standing amidst the rubble. Shortly after the war, Generals Masaharu Homma and Tomoyuki Yamashita, the commanders of the Japanese Imperial Army were executed in April 1946. They were tried for war crimes and executed near the Economic Garden. The Shrine with commemorative markings are located near the main highway.
Japanese Memorial Garden
Brgy. Kanluran Talaongan, Cavinti, Laguna Constructed by the Japanese Government in the 1970’s, it can be reached by land transportation within one hour from Sta. Cruz, Laguna.
Pila Heritage Site
The town is an extant example of Spanish colonial town planning. There are a number of well-preserved houses around the church - town plaza - municipal hall cluster with various architectural interpretations and styles reflecting the early years of the 20th century.
Brgy. San Rafael, Luisiana, Laguna Once a quarry site during Spanish colonial times, adobe stone from the area where used for the construction of Luisiana Catholic Church.
The Battle of Mabitac Site
Mabitac, Laguna It was in this town of Mabitac that the Battle of Hinukay was fought in 1900, when the town joined the fight against the Americans under the leadership of General Juan Cailles and Fidel Sario. The Filipino-American encounter happened at the entrance of Mabitac bordering the town of Siniloan. The Americans under Col. Cheatham were defeated by Filipinos. The National Historical Institute later officially changed the title of the site, from Battle of Hinukay to Battle of Mabitac.
Emilio Jacinto Shrine
St. Mary Magdalene Church Magdalena , Laguna. The glass enclosure contained the blood-stained bolo and hat of
General Emilio Jacinto, a young hero of the revolution who is honored
for his valor during fight between Spanish forces and the katipuneros in
the Battle of Maimpis. Wounded, he sought refuge in the church and
was later brought to Sta. Cruz for treatment. The blood-stained bolo
and hat are found inside this church.
Brgy. Munting Ambling and Brgy. Malaking Ambling.
According to local lore, the cave was open to the community of Magdalena whenever help and assistance were needed. It is said that utensils found here were made of gold-plated material and enamel, but due to neglect and greediness of the locals, the borrowed utensils were never returned. From then on, the entrance of the cave was closed and those with clean hearts and minds were allowed to enter through a small entrance leading to the inner cave.
Mt. Makiling, Los Baños, Laguna The National Arts Center a prominent modern structure that overlooks Laguna and its environs. The facility is managed by the Cultural Center of the Philippines. The Center has 62 cottages, an auditorium, seminar and conference facilities. Reservation can be coursed through the Manila office of the Cultural Center of the Philippines.
Philippine High School for the Arts
Mt. Makiling, Los Baños, Laguna The special boarding school for the secondary education of highly gifted and talented Filipino youth, combines a general learning grid for education and training in the field of dance, music, theater, voice and visual arts. It is a site of cultural exchange programs for the youth of many countries.
Footwear Capital of Southern Tagalog Region
Liliw, Laguna Nestled in one of the foothills of Mt Banahaw in the 4th district of Laguna, the town is quaint, dotted with well-preserved homes and well-ordered communities that reflect the spirit of Liliwenos, who have adapted to the changing needs of times. Traditionally a rich agricultural area, the townsfolk have added improved ways in livelihood with the enhancement of traditional footwear making craft to open boutiques and stores specializing in modern-day footwear, handbags, accessories and food stalls selling delicacies that Laguna is famous for. The main street in the poblacion is dotted with fascinating stores that have attracted shoppers all year round.
U.P. Los Baños Campus,Los Baños This half-hectare farm is where tropical flowers and orchid varieties such as with cattleyas, dendrobiums, vandas, waling-waling, anthuriums in various stages of growth are raised. Mr. Carlos Lazaro, its owner, also provides lectures on orchid and anthurium propagation
Boy Scouts of the Philippines Camp
Mt. Makiling, Los Baños ,Laguna The BSP grounds were developed to host the 10th World Jamboree of the Boy Scouts. The site continues to be an ideal site in the foothill of Mt. Makiling Forest Reserve for trekking, camping and the enjoyment of nature.
Makiling Botanical Garden
U.P. Los Baños Campus College of Forestry The Makiling Botanical Garden (MGB) was started in September 1965 to support professional instruction and research related to forestry and plant sciences. It has served the needs of eco-tourism as well as the educational and recreational needs of the general public. MGB occupies 300 hectares of forest land distributed into three main sections composed of the Aboretum, Nursery, and Recreational areas. There are 1,060 genera; 2,087,150 varieties, 2 culvinators of flowering plants and ferns representing 209 families of flowering plants and ferns in the Mount Makiling area. An exhibit of Philippine wildlife in a diorama can be viewed in the pavilion . Mini waterfalls, gurgling creeks, natural swimming pool, concrete trails as well as nature trails are attractions at the MGB.
Maria Makiling Park
U.P. Los Baños Campus
Maria Makiling was considered as a goddess in the local folklore of the Southern Tagalog region. She is said to reside on top of the tallest mountain in Laguna. Through time, the people who lived at the foot of the mountain venerated her for abundant harvests. A mini Maria Makiling Park located near University of the Philippines Los Baňos Alumni Center was constructed as a tribute to the great bio-diversity; outstanding natural and cultural assets of Mt. Makiling.
Cavinti, Laguna Lake Caliraya is a man-made lake built by American and Filipino engineers in the 1930’s to provide hydroelectric power in the region. The Lake is situated at 1,200 feet above the sea level, with cool winds, clear waters and lush greenery which is an ideal area for leisure and natured based activities.
Turumba Swimming Pools (Panghulo)
Pakil, Laguna The Turumba swimming pools, also known as Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de Turumba and the Doña Aurora A. Quezon swimming pool is a source of livelihood and income for the local government and the local population. It is also the main source of potable water and irrigation. In the olden days it was a swampy place where tuber and ferns grew in abundance. It was only in 1732 when Fr. Fernando de Haro supervised the clearing of the place during the construction of the church. During the worst drought in 1771, Fr. Juan Valladeras enclosed the spring and constructed the irrigation canals up to Sambal River, which was completed on 1804. In 1924, the big stone at the center of the spring was crushed and the remains can still be seen beneath the main pool. During the visit of Doña Aurora A. Quezon in 1938, on her recommendation and patronage, the swimming pool was constructed, and was thereafter named in her honor.
The Danilo Daleňa’s House of Paintings
Pakil, Laguna The provincial residence of a famous artist, the house has received visitors who admire the collection of his painted works of art. Daleňa, a son of the town of Pakil, has enhanced the touristic appeal of this town with the restoration of this residence where his collection of art works are displayed.
The E & R Artwork Shop
Pakil, Laguna Fancy softwood carvings are artistically carved out of single piece of wood with use of simple knife by local craftsmen. Many items of fine carving ideal for gifts and souvenirs are sold here.
Paete, Laguna Jutting out into the Laguna de Bay parallel to the Paete River and nestled between ricefields is an area of varied use. During summer months, it is a site for local concerts and local food kiosks. The park has a pavilion where people congregate for sightseeing and relaxation amidst a serene seascape.
Sampalok Lake, San Pablo City The 3,832-kilometer peripheral road of Sampalok Lake has a good potential as a tourist attraction for its quaint setting with a community of homes, local seafood restaurants and leisure pursuits like promenading, biking and sports set in the beautiful environs of the lake.
Sampalok Lake Staircase ( Hagdang Bato)
Trece Martines Street, San Pablo City A concrete set of stairs leading to and from Sampalok Lake. A famous local landmark, and now a part of the official seal of San Pablo City. It was constructed in November 1915 on a site which is now a part of Doña Leonila Mini- Forest Park. Divided into five sections, it has a total of 89 steps.
Rizal Avenue, San Pablo City
Right at the center of the city that leads to the San Pablo Cathedral, the monument to Dr. Jose P. Rizal prominently marks the center of the plaza. The main road leading to the plaza is dotted with beautifully sculpted lamp posts with globe-shaped bulbs have identified San Pablo City as an eminent chartered city in the Province of Laguna.
Los Baños, Laguna The Crocodile Lake is a small crater lake situated on the edge of Laguna de Bay, which is shaped like crocodile. The natural lake formation is unique as it is a lake within a lake.
Magdapio Falls (Pagsanjan Falls)
Cavinti, Laguna The majestic Pagsanjan Falls is situated three miles outside the town on the rugged highlands of Cavinti. The main access to the world famous Pagsanjan falls is through the Bumbungan River of Pagsanjan town. The falls has 14 rapids and upon entering the gorge one can experience the natural forest setting with wild orchids, ferns, vines and age-old trees. During the rainy season tourists may view a series of mini falls, first of these mini falls is the Talahib Falls. Farther on are Kalukuy Falls and the misty Bridal Veil Falls. Some of these mini-falls, numbering more than nineteen, have no names and are rarely seen during the summer season.
Barangay San Buenaventura, Luisiana
Named for its natural formation which is likened to an old chapel along the river.
Talon ng Aliw
San Jose, Luisiana, Laguna A waterfalls with an approximate height of 25 meters and a width of 30 meters. Upstream/Headwater of Dapi river going to Balanac river in Magdalena,Laguna.
San Salvador, Luisiana, Laguna
The highest falls in the jurisdiction of Luisiana,Laguna with an approximate height of 70 meters. Downstream of Dapi River leads to Balanac River in Magdalena, Laguna.
Taytay Falls or Imelda falls
Majayjay, Laguna A pristine set of falls are at the foot of Mt. Banahaw with cold and crystal clear waters situated in Barangay Taytay. The trek down is an arduous, 15- minute drive from town and 30-minute hike to the picnic site.
Siniloan, Laguna One of the five falls found in the Sierra Madre Mountain ranges, the accessibility to the site makes Buruwisan popular. The falls has a 50-meter drop.
Majayjay, Laguna Botocan Falls is another tourist attraction but it is presently utilized by the National Power Corporation (NPC) to generate power. The Botocan Hydro Electric Plant has 546 steps going down the ravine and is accessible by cable car. The Botocan Falls attracts country travelers, writers, poets , painters and nature lovers.
Majayjay, Laguna Attracts hundreds of visitors from Manila and environs. This river is noted for its cool and crystal water and panoramic beauty, ideal for swimming and fishing.
San Pablo City The seven lakes are spread out in of the city of San Pablo which are nestled on a depression created by volcanic activity over the centuries. The lakes are : Sampaloc, Mojicap, Palakpakin, Calibato, Pandin, Yambo and Bunot. Ideal for picnics, hiking, freshwater leisure fishing, camping and nature-based activities.
Another big tourism potential are the areas surrounding Mount Banahaw in the eastern parts of the province. Majayjay is one of the towns at the foot of this mystic mountain which is shared with the province of Quezon. Banahaw is approximately 2,188 meters above sea level.
San Pablo Cathedral
Rizal Avenue, San Pablo City Originally built in 1774 by the Augustinians, the architecture is of neo-classical style. It used to house a good collection of silver and jeweled religious statuaries, candelabras and altar pieces. It has a simple design with Doric coupled columns. It has a unique podium; inter-locking triangular and segmented arches; decorative bound windows with a four-storey octagonal bell tower composed of alternating blank and open windows.
Iglesia ni Cristo
San Pablo City Located along Dr. Fernando Bautista Street near the San Pablo City District Hospital, the 2100-seat house of worship was completed on November 9,1963. Viewed from the other side of Sampalok Lake, the castle-like structure was prominently featured in international and local publications due to its unique architectural features.
Mabitac Catholic Church
Barangay Maligaya, Mabitac Is often visited by pilgrims and tourists. It has a long set of stairs consisting of concrete and tiled steps totaling 126 steps, which churchgoers have to negotiate to reach the house of God. The site also provides a panoramic view of the town and its environs.
The 400 year old church built by the Franciscan Missionaries is a popular landmark in Liliw. Its architectural features date back to the late 18th century and has been beautifully restored through the efforts of its parishioners and the community.
St. Gregory the Great Parish Church
Majayjay, Laguna The imposing Catholic church and prominent landmark was built in 1711. This church is considered one of the biggest in the Philippines, The huge church and convent built by the Franciscans has withstood strong typhoons and earthquakes for many centuries. It is located in the heart of the poblacion. It has attracted pilgrims, artists, historians and archetects for its impressive construction and design features.
Majayjay, Laguna Originally constructed as the site of the Tribunal during the Spanish period, its use was converted as an Ermita or chapel to enshrine the image of the Nuestra Señora de la Porteria which was brought to the country by Spanish missionaries in 1759.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Church
Pagsanjan, Laguna In 1835, Pope Pius XI proclaimed Our Lady of Guadalupe as the perpetual national patroness of the Philippines and Mexico. The first sculptured image of the Blessed Virgin Mary was a gift from Mexico and was stored at the main altar in 1688. It was destroyed during the air bombardment of the town on March 15, 1945. In 1946 the Catholics of Mexico donated a life-size image of the Nuestra Seňora de Guadalupe to the people of Pagsanjan. This second image was made by Mr. Ramon Barreto, a noted sculptor from Tuluca, Mexico and is now enshrined as the town’s patroness, together with another image of the virgin which was carved by Maximo Vicente, a prominent sculptor from Manila.
St. Peter de Alcantara Church
San Pedro Bautista-Founder of first Pakil community in 1588-1602 Pakil was attached to parish of Paete as a visita in 1676. Franciscan missionary Fr. Francisco Barajas reached Pakil and permanently established his mission here. Through his zeal and industry he was able to separate Pakil from Paete on May 12,1676. He became first parish priest and St. Peter of Alcantara became the patron saint of Pakil. The church has attracted much interest from pilgrims, artists, architects and the cultural community for its unique features and high state of preservation.
St. James the Apostle Church
Paete, Laguna Like many churches in Laguna, Paete Catholic Church was built during the early Spanish period. The novelty of this church is the rich repository of religious statuaries, altar and backdrop were carved and painted by the residents of Paete who are known to be master carvers and prominent sculptors. The intricate baroque altar is a testimony to the artistry of Paete’s famed woodcarvers. The walls of the church are adorned with large murals done by Jose Dans (19th Century), a true son of Paete who used color pigments mixed with pulverized volcanic ash and brushes fashioned from cat’s hair. Although the church has been recently restored, the original design features have been conserved.
The International Rice Research Institute
IRRI Compound, Los Baňos, Laguna The world’s most complete center for rice ( oryza sativa) research, education and development. The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)- has its headquarters and field laboratories adjacent to the College of Agriculture and its Experiment Station at Los Baños. Formally dedicated in February 1962, the Institute was funded by the Ford Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation.
Museum of the Wildlife Collections of Dr. Dioscoro Rabor
College of Forestry, U.P. Los Baños The museum showcases the personal collection of mammal and bird species of Dr. Dioscoro Rabor who has worked on various fields such of ichthyology, fisheries, mammalogy, herpetology, ornithology and ecology. However, it is in ornithology and mammalogy where he has made many important scientific contributions.
U. P. Los Baños (UPLB) Museum of Natural History.
UPLB Campus, Los Baňos, Laguna
The Museum of Natural History (MNH) of the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) is a center of documentation and is a repository of biological specimens for scientific reference. It is a center of research, information and education. The Museum has a diverse collection of more than 200,000 preserved Philippine animals, plants, cultures of living microorganisms and other biota that showcase the country’s rich biodiversity. It houses most of the priceless collections of birds and small mammals of the late Dr. Rabor. Further, it has in its Hortorium a diverse collection of living plants. The Museum is also actively involved in public education, through exhibits, lectures on biodiversity, taxonomy, biology and ecology of varied flora and fauna.
BioSci Bldg. UPLB Campus, Los Baňos, Laguna The entomology museum features the different species of the insect world from the smallest bug to biggest moth.
IRRI Compound, Los Baňos, Laguna The IRRI Riceworld is permanent exhibit of artifacts and implements on world-wide rice growing as well as a learning center about rice production research and its importance in global rice production.
A tour through Riceworld is to know the story of the rice intimately. It depicts the different ways rice is grown. The geographical zones where the rice is planted, the challenges involved in providing productivity, the problems associated with sustainable rice production in various ecosystems, the conservation of genetic diversity of rice and the potential benefits of research was envisioned and operated to respond to many challenges in sustainable rice production.