City of san buenaventura

:)


Download 121.78 Kb.
Page1/4
Date conversion05.11.2016
Size121.78 Kb.
  1   2   3   4
CITY OF SAN BUENAVENTURA


HISTORIC LANDMARKS & DISTRICTS
September 30, 2009
NO. HISTORIC NAME ADDRESS

1. OIivas Adobe 4200 Olivas Park Drive

Designated February 11, 1974 SL/NRHP/CA VEN 815H

I

This two-story Monterey style adobe was the center of San Miguel Rancho. Built in 1847 by Don Raymundo Olivas, a prominent cattle and sheep rancher, it was owned by the family until 1899. Restored in the late 1920’s by millionaire Max Fleischmann, of Fleischmann Yeast and Margarine fame, for use as a hunting lodge, the historic house was given to the City of San Buenaventura in 1961. Now a historic museum, it is dedicated to Ventura's rancho heritage.


2. Ortega Adobe 215 W. Main Street

Designated February 11, 1974 CA VEN 785H


Emigdio Miguel Ortega, grandson of Josef Francisco de Ortega, discoverer of San Francisco Bay in 1734, and comandante of Santa Barbara in 1782, was born at Mission San Diego. Emigdio was appointed Sergeant of the Santa Barbara Company in 1811­1818 and comisionado at Los Angeles in 1918. He married Concepcion Dominguez at Mission Santa Barbara. Through the land grant of 1830 1850 for Rancho Ex Mission San Buenaventura from Govenor Pio Pico, he bought the 200 x 200 foot lot and built the adobe in 1855 57. The west half of the adobe was washed away by the floods of 1862 and rebuilt using the original roof tiles from the Mission San Buenaventura. In 1897, Emilio C. Ortega, son of Emigdio and Conception, began and operated from the adobe, the now famous Ortega Chili Factory.

3. Father Serra Statue 501 Poli Street

Designated February 11, 1974

This bronze statue was designed by John Palo Kanges and represents an idealized image of Father Junipero Serra, the founder of Mission San Buenaventura. Located in front of Ventura's City Hall on California Street, the original cement statue, a WPA project, was unveiled in November 1936. Due to weathering, the original statue was placed in storage in 1989 and replaced by the present bronze one. The wooden statue used to mold the bronze statue is located in the atrium of the City Hall.
4. City Hall 501 Poli Street

Designated February 11, 1974 SL/NRHP


Constructed in 1912, it served as the Ventura County Courthouse until 1962. Designed by famed Los Angeles architect, Albert C. Martin Sr. in the "Beau Arts" or Neo Classic style, the building features the faces of 24 monks on the facade and stained glass skylights and domes in the interior. Restored and converted into Ventura's City Hall in 1972, it stands as one of the state's premier civic buildings. The west wing, formerly the County Sheriffs Office and Jail, was restored and added to the City Hall designation in 1988.
5. Grant Park Cross Site Ferro Drive

Designated February 11, 1974 SL (Site)


The wooden cross, made of pine from Santa Paula Canyon, was placed on this site in the 1940’s to replace a cross that was erected by ladies of the ECO Club, a service club, on Admission Day, September 9, 1912, commemorated the original cross erected by Father Junipero Serra when he founded Mission San Buenaventura in 1782.

6. Mission Plaza Archeological Site 100 Block E. Main Street

Designated February 11, 1974 Mission Plaza Park


North side of Main Street

Including the Albinger

Museum, Filtration Building

NRHP/District SL/CA VEN 4 87


The Mission Plaza Archaeological Project studied the area west of Mission San Buenaventura Church and along Valdez Alley from 1973 to 1975. A number of important features covering 3,500 years of history were uncovered at the site. These features include five mission building foundations, ceramic pipelines, an adobe brick factory, a well, an earth oven, and a water filtration building. Nicknamed El Caballo (the Horse) because of a carved wall feature in the shape of an animal head, the filtration building, built sometime after 1782 by Chumash labor under the direction of Father Pedro Cambon, is the oldest standing structure in Ventura County. In the late 1860’s, the building was used as a jail. The Mission Plaza Archaeological site includes VEN 4, which was recorded in 1951 in the UCLA Archaeological Survey Archives. The local historic landmark designation covers an area of approximately one and one half acres.
7. Conklin Residence 608 E. Thompson Boulevard

Designated May 6, 1974 Mitchell Block

Located at 608 E. Thompson Boulevard, the home was originally built in 1877 by Dr. Solomon Leander Stuart, a dentist, whose office was located on California Street between Main and Santa Clara Streets. He is thought to have been a descendent of the artist Gilbert Stuart. The home was then deeded in 1887 to E. L. Mitchel, proprietor of a brick business and builder of two of the homes within the Mitchell Block. Marguerite Conklin, granddaughter of Marada Waton and owner of the property in 1918, lived her entire life within this restored Cape Cod style home amidst her family heirlooms. It is folklore that her mantle clock, silent on the day of her passing in 1977, would never be operable again. The exterior was changed to it’s present Cape Cod appearance in 1927.

8. Mission Norfolk Pines 211 E. Main Street

Designated July 1, 1974 Mission District

Two of the tallest trees in the City, these large Norfolk Island Pines (araucaria excilas) are located adjacent to the San Buenaventura Mission. The trees were planted in the 1880’s, and local legend suggests that they were brought here from Norfolk Island by a sea captain to be used as replacement masts for his ship. The captain, perhaps lost at sea, never returned to claim his trees. Traditionally, the trees are lit with colored lights during the holiday season and can be seen for miles along Highway 101.


In November 2000, the America The Beautiful Fund designated the pines as California’s Millennium Landmark Trees. The non-profit group has given the designation to at least one tree in each of the 50 states that “has seen the nation progress from a largely rural, farming community to an industrial powerhouse.” The Mission Norfolk Pines were the first trees to be given the designation in California.
9. Mound Pepper Tree 5430 Telegraph Road

Designated July 1, 1974 No longer exists


The Mound Pepper Tree was located 25 feet west of the east property line of the Mound Guest Home. It was cited as the oldest and largest tree of its species in the City. It was 100 years old, 43 feet tall, 23.5 feet in circumference at it’s narrowest point two feet above ground and had a 100-foot branch spread.
10. San Buenaventura Mission 211 E. Main Street

Designated July 1, 1974 NRHP District

Father Junipero Serra founded Mission San Buenaventura on Easter Sunday, March 31, 1782. It was the ninth and last mission founded by Father Serra. Construction on the first adobe mission church began in 1787, but problems forced its demolition in 1790. The present stone and adobe church was built just to the east of the original structure and was completed in 1809. The Mexican Government secularized the missions in 1834, and in 1846, Mission San Buenaventura was sold to Jose Arnaz and became known as Rancho Ex Mission. In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln returned the Mission San Buenaventura Church to the Catholic Church, which owns it to this day.

11. Plaza Park Moreton Bay Fig Tree Chestnut and Santa Clara

Designated July 1, 1974 Streets


The Moreton Bay Fig Tree, which was planted in Plaza Park in 1874, is thought to be the largest tree of its species, being 68 feet high with a branch spread of 130 feet, in the City. It is a Ficus Macrophylla, which is a native of Queensland Australia. The tree is located at the northwest corner of Plaza Park at Chestnut and Santa Clara Streets.
12. Mission Plaza Moreton Bay Fig Tree 100 Block E. Main Street

Designated July 1, 1974 Mission District/NHRP


The Mission Plaza Moreton Bay Fig Tree (fiscus macrophylla) dominates the east side of Mission Plaza Park along Figueroa Plaza. Its branches have a spread of over 100 feet and its circumference is 18 feet. The tree is almost 120 years old. This area is part of the Mission National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) District.
13. Baker Residence 2107 Poli Street

Designated September 23, 1975


Located at 2107 Poli Street, the home was built in 1888 by architect Franklin Pierce and it is a well-preserved model of Victorian architecture.
14. Judge Ewing Residence 605 Poli Street

Designated September 23, 1975


This house was built in 1894 for Judge Felix Ewing, then the only judge in Ventura County. It was built in the popular Queen Anne style. The large wrap around porch was elaborate for its time. The library has special carved paneling and tiled floors. The stone used in the walls was quarried in Foster Park north of Ventura. The building is now used as law offices.

15. Theodore Groene Building 592 E. Main Street


Bahn's Jewelry Store

Designated October 27, 1975


This building was originally constructed in the late 1920's as a bank for the Ventura Guarantee and Loan. Although it served as a home for many different businesses, it is primarily known as being occupied by the Bahn's Jewelry Store. Purchased by Theodore Groene in 1961, it was then restored by the contractor, Clyde Campbell. The building features a beautiful interior, including three large murals by Norman Kennedy. The exterior is noteworthy because of the lovely brickwork and the unusual ceramic tiles. The original white paint was removed from the building in 1982.

16. San Miguel Chapel Site SW corner Thompson

Designated October 27, 1975 Boulevard and Palm



NRHP
The San Miguel Chapel, originally constructed of adobe brick about 1790, served as a place of worship while the Mission San Buenaventura was being built. The Chapel was the first permanent structure in Ventura built by non Aboriginal man. A second chapel, half the size of the first, was built on the site after the original chapel was destroyed by the earthquake of 1812. Subsequently, the chapel suffered extensive damage from natural causes, and, in 1873, the walls were torn down. The site was excavated by students from Moorpark College, starting in 1974. Excavated features include the uncovered aqueduct, which served the Mission, a rock foundation, a bell tower, and a section of painted wall.
17. Robert Stacy Judd Church 101 Laurel Street

Church of Religious Science

Designated December 1, 1975

This unusual building was designed for Ventura's First Baptist Church by Hollywood architect Robert Stacy Judd. Finished in 1931, the church stands as a monument to the Mayan Revival style. Due to funds provided by local sculptor, Jason Herron, the building was restored in the mid 1980’s.

18. Shisholop Village Site South end Figueroa Street

Cabrillo's Landing CA VEN 3

Designated December 22, 1975

LLocated directly on the beach at the foot of Figueroa Street is the site of the Chumash Indian Village called Shisholop by the missionaries who settled Ventura. Believed to have been a Chumash provincial capital, Shisholop was first settled shortly after A.D. 1000 and reached it’s zenith about the time it was visited in 1542 by Portuguese navigator Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, while on an exploratory expedition for Spain. The location of Shisholop Village and the Cabrillo Landing was designated as a historical point of interest.
19. Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital 121 N. Fir Street

Designated March 8, 1976


Opened on January 1, 1902, by brothers Senator Thomas R. Bard and Dr. Cephas Little Bard as a memorial to their mother, the Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital is Ventura's only remaining Mission Revival building. Located on a hillside just two blocks east of City Hall, the structure, with its arched loggia, scalloped parapeted gables and domed bell tower, stands out as one of the finest works of well-known local builder Selwyn Lock Shaw. Cephas Bard, who came to Ventura in 1868, is said to have been the County's first American doctor. He was also the first patient to die in the Bard Hospital in 1902. The building has been rehabilitated for use as offices.

20. Ventura Wharf (Pier) Harbor Boulevard east of

Designated March 29, 1976 California Street

The Ventura Wharf was partially destroyed in 1926 and was rebuilt as it appears today. Located off of Harbor Boulevard between California Street and Fir Street, the pier was built to encourage growth in Ventura and to provide an outlet for farmers and their crops. The pier was considered a public utility and "absolutely indispensable" to the City's economy. The wooden structure includes a restaurant and a bait and tackle shop. The pier is a point of interest for today's tourists, as it was a promenade for residents in early days. It is said to be one of the longest piers on the California Coast.

21. Franz Residence 31 N. Oak Street

Designated March 29, 1976


The Emanuel Franz House, built in 1879, is the only remaining unaltered example of Urban Italianate architecture from the 1870’s to be found in the City. The house was built for Emanuel Franz, an Austrian immigrant who operated one of the first mercantile businesses on Main Street, just a half block from his home. Franz and his new bride moved into the house in 1880. All of their six children were born in the house. The Franz family owned the house continuously until 1975. Located at 31 N. Oak Street, it has an interesting front stoop and widow's watch. Designated on March 29, 1976 and placed on the National Register June 25, 1982.
22. Magnolia Tree 739 E. Santa Clara Street

Designated March 29, 1976


Planted at 739 E. Santa Clara Street by Charles G. Bartlett circa 1907, it was the oldest of its species in the City. The tree was removed by the property owners in 2002.
23. Great Pacific Iron Works 235 W. Santa Clara Street

Designated October 4, 1976


This structure originally housed the Hobson Brother's Meat Packing Business, which was established in the 1870's. Currently owned and operated by Lost Arrow/Patagonia.
24. Ventura Theater 26 S. Chestnut Street

Designated October 4, 1976


Built in 1928, it was the City's only luxurious movie theater during the movie palace era.

25. First Post Office Bldg. 377 E. Main Street

Designated October 4, 1976

This building housed Ventura's first Post Office. Built in 1902, it was used until 1919 for that purpose.
26. Hitching Post 88 N. Ann Street

Designated October 4, 1976


This is one of the last remaining hitching posts in place in the City.
27. Apostolic Church 902 E. Main Street

Designated December 20, 1976


This structure originally served as the Alice Bartlett Club. The building has both architectural and historical significance. It was moved to its present location in 1922.
28. Southern Methodist Episcopal Church 896 E. Main Street

Designated July 11, 1977


The church was built in 1890 and is the last of the original seven churches built in the City during that time. It is in the Gothic style with a high steeple and beautiful stained glass windows. For several years it was the Victorian Rose Wedding Chapel, and currently houses the Victorian Rose Bed and Breakfast Inn.
29. Post Office Murals 675 E. Santa Clara Street

Designated October 24, 1977


Located in the Post Office at 675 E. Santa Clara Street, the murals were painted by Gordon Grant in 1936 37. The project was sponsored by the Federal Arts project of the WPA.
30. Livery/County Garage 34 N. Palm Street

Designated November 21, 1977

Located on Palm Street, the site has been in use since 1875 as a livery stable, then stable and garage, until the County purchased it in 1921. It is now the site of the Livery Theater, offices, and retail uses.

31. Packard Garage 42 N. Chestnut Street

Designated November 21, 1977

The building was originally constructed in 1925 to be used as a garage and showroom. The County purchased the building in 1956 for use as a warehouse. It recently housed the Concept Seven Thrift Store and is currently vacant.
32. Peirano Store 204 E. Main Street

Designated January 16, 1978 Mission District


Completed in November 1877, this structure is the oldest remaining commercial brick building in the City. Located at the southeast corner of Main Street and Figueroa Plaza, the store was owned by the Peirano family from 1890 until Nick Peirano, nephew of the original owner, retired in 1986. The building was in constant use as a grocery store from the time it was built until 1986. The building was renovated to accommodate a restaurant in 1998.
33. Peirano Residence (Parrish Law Offices) 107 S. Figueroa Street

Designated January 16, 1978 Mission District


Built in 1897 by the Peirano family, this house was in constant use by the family until 1976. The house is a one-and-a-half story wood frame structure with a gabled roof. It was restored by Donald Parrish and is currently used as a law office.
34. Theodosia Burr Shepherd Gardens SE corner of Poli and Chestnut

Designated July 17,1978 Streets Point of Interest

The original gardens of one of California's most famous horticulturists were located between Main and Poli, Chestnut and Fir Streets. All that remains is a Star Pine and a Bird of Paradise.

35. Feraud Store & Bakery (1903 Building) 2 W. Main Street

Designated July 17, 1978 NRHP


Located at the southwest corner of Main Street and Ventura Avenue, the Feraud Bakery and Grocery Store was opened by Jules Feraud in 1903. The bakery stayed in the family until 1944.
36. First National Bank of Ventura 1904 401 E. Main Street

Designated August 13, 1978 Point of Interest


This building was opened in June 1904 as the First National Bank. The building has been much altered over the years for various commercial uses.
37. First National Bank of Ventura 1926 494 E. Main Street

Designated October 16, 1978


Located at the cornerstone of the downtown area at Main and California Streets, this building was used as a bank for many years. First as the First National Bank of Ventura, then Bank of America, Security First National, Channel Island State Bank and Wells Fargo before becoming the American Commercial Bank. It currently houses a retail furniture store on the ground floor, with offices on the upper floors.
38. Bank of Italy 394 E. Main Street

Designated December 4, 1978


The building was constructed in 1923 24 after being promoted by John Lagomarsino, Sr. The architectural style is Italian Renaissance Revival, which was widely used for commercial structures at that time.
39. Dr. T. E. Cunnane Residence 128 S. California Street

Designated December 18, 1978

This structure was the home and office of Dr. Thomas E. Cunnane, the City's physician after the death of Dr. Bard in 1902. The structure is one of the few remaining examples of Queen Anne cottage style architecture. Now used as business offices.

40. A. C. Martin Building (Bella Maggiore Inn) 69 S. California Street

Designated April 9, 1979


The building was constructed in 1926 by architect A. C. Martin of Los Angeles (who also designed City Hall). The style of the facade is taken from Spanish Renaissance sources. The building was restored by Tom Wood and currently in use as the Bella Maggiore Inn. At one time it was known as El Nido Hotel.
41. Robert Sudden Residence 825 Front Street

Designated April 9, 1979


Captain Robert Sudden built the house in 1886. It was originally located at Fir and Meta and moved to its present location in 1916.
42. Robert M. Sheridan Residence 1029 Poli Street

Designated May 21, 1979


This Craftsman Bungalow house deviates from the traditional box like shaped bungalow. Historically the house is important for being built by Robert M. Sheridan, son of early pioneer E. M. Sheridan, who was editor of the Ventura SIGNAL. Robert and his wife, Ellen, who was a well-known editor, writer and designer, used the house.
43. Chaffee & McKeeby, Einstein & Bernheim SE corner Main and Palm

General Store Streets (building demolished)

Designated May 21, 1979 Point of Interest

This building was located at the southeast corner of Main and Palm Streets and was demolished because of structural problems in December 1979. The building was completed in 1872 and originally housed two general merchandise stores. The owners were associated with the early development of the City; the Einstein and Bernheim store eventually became the Great Eastern Department Store. It is now the site of the Mid-State Bank.

44. Dudley House SW corner Loma Vista and

Designated January 21, 1980 Ashwood Avenue (NRHP)


The Dudley House, built in 1892, was originally located at the northwest corner of Telegraph Road and Ashwood Avenue and was moved in 1977 to the southwest corner of Ashwood and Loma Vista Road, where it is being developed as part of a historical park. The farmhouse was part of a 50 acre ranch owned and occupied by the Dudley family for five generations. The house was built by Selwyn Shaw, well know local builder and craftsman. The San Buenaventura Heritage Foundation is currently restoring the house.
45. Righetti House 125 W. Park Row Avenue




  1   2   3   4
:)


The database is protected by copyright ©hestories.info 2017
send message

    Main page

:)