This late Queen Anne period house with elements of Classical Revival was constructed in 1918 for Daniel J. Righetti, who owned a shop on Main Street offering billiards, cigars, tobacco and confections. The Righettis were a pioneer Italian family in Ventura and lived in the house until 1922. In 1923 Dr. Julius Bianchi, a prominent local physician who served as a U.S. envoy to Guatemala from 1920 to 1922, purchased the home and had his practice there for three years. He became president of the Ventura County Medical Society in 1926. On January 24, 1947, Mr. Sidney Houghton had the house moved from its original Main Street location along Valdez Alley near the Mission to its current location on Park Row Avenue. Architecturally, the house is important as one of the relatively few unaltered examples of the late Queen Anne period remaining in Ventura. Queen Anne elements include a tower, gables and bay. Classical Revival can be seen in the large, sweeping, curved porch with its classical columns. The house serves as an important visual landmark for the Avenue Area.
46. Selwyn Shaw House 140 N. Ann Street
Designated January 21, 1980
Selwyn Lock Shaw, a prominent carpenter/builder who was responsible for the construction of many local Victorian style residences, as well as the Bard Hospital and Methodist Episcopal Church, built this Queen Anne style house for himself in 1888. This house is one of several on a block of primarily Victorian style houses owned and occupied by members of the Shaw family. The hillside home with a distinctive half-octagon bay window is a triple story single-family residence with an elaborate roof line.
47. Jacques Roos House 82 S. Ash Street
Designated March 17, 1980
Jacques Roos, President of the Great Eastern Company, had this house built in 1892. It is a pattern house built in the Queen Anne cottage style with significant Eastlake influences. The Eastlake elements are clear in the elaborately turned porch columns, spindle work and balustrade. The fine craftsmanship of this house can be seen in the meticulous detail, including elaborate sunburst patterns and flower designs in the shingles, bargeboard, and frieze. The windows make use of attractive flashed glass and are outlined by half columns. The Queen Anne influence is seen in the multi-gables and bays. This house is significant as the most elaborate example of Queen Anne cottage to be found in the City of Ventura. The house was originally designated as the Wilson House in 1980. The name derived from A. E. Wilson, a clerk at the Great Eastern Department Store, who lived in the house in 1910-1911. When additional information identified the owner as Jacque Roos, the designated name was changed in 1991.
48. Dacy Fazio House 557 E. Thompson Boulevard
Designated April 14, 1980
Orville A. Wadleigh, an early Ventura County rancher and City Trustee in 1918-1919, had this house built for his daughter Dacy Fazio in 1910. Dacy was married to Ben Fazio, owner and operator of the Fazio-Newby grocery store on Main Street. The house is a typical Craftsman Bungalow, but the property includes a carriage house/barn, which is significant as the only remaining example of a carriage house in the old downtown. The style and construction of the structure indicate that it may be older than the house itself. The house was restored in 1980 by Ira Goldenring for use as the Law Offices of Goldenring and Goldenring.
49. Terry House 4949 Foothill Road
Designated July 14, 1980
This two story, eight room house located at 4949 Foothill Road, now the Unitarian Church, was built in 1917 by J. Myers of Oxnard for Willington G. Wilde. The Wilde Family lived in the house until 1922 when it was purchased by Joe Terry Sr. The wood-shingled building combines several different styles of architecture, and is a good example of a ranch/farm house built for an affluent family of that period.
Built in 1896 by Jesse Bert Shaw, the son of Selwyn Shaw and a carpenter/builder like his father, this one-and-a-half story Victorian, with a medium high pitched cross gable roof and plain boxed cornice, is one of several houses built and lived in by members of the Shaw family along the 1100 block of Poli Street. The main feature of this house is a modified Palladian window on the front. A flat roofed addition was added on the west in 1929.
51. Blackstock House 835 E. Main Street
Designated September 15, 1980
The Blackstock House, thought to be the work of architect Charles Russell, was the home of James Blackstock, Main Street businessman and proprietor of the Central Cash and Meat Market and the Union Ice Co. from 1916 to 1926. The house was constructed in 1901 on the site of what is now the Ventura City Hall on Poli Street (originally built as the Ventura County Courthouse), and was moved ten years later to its present site on Main Street, a prestigious address in early Ventura. The house remained in the Blackstock Family until 1944.
The Blackstock House marks a stylistic transition from the Queen Anne mode of Victorian design period which was ending at the turn of the century, to the Classical or Colonial revivals which swept the nation from about 1880 to 1950. The square tower of the Blackstock House, with its pointed peak (hipped roof), distinctly echoes the Victorian style. The Classical or Colonial details can be seen in the modillions (flat brackets under the eaves) that support the eaves, the elaborate frieze details above the second floor window, the articulation of the two stories with different classical orders and the triangular pediment above the portico.
52. Sifford House 162 S. Ash Street
Designated September 15, 1980
This home was constructed in 1895 for the Frank Sifford family. Unique characteristics include a portico columned front door, framed by a horseshoe shaped arch. The second story is accentuated by a small balcony above the front porch. Originally, the Palladian style window, to the left of the front door, contained stained glass in the arched center section. The architectural style has an element of Colonial style and flavor. The structure is currently used as a residence and studio.
53. Nellie Clover House 857 E. Main Street
Designated November 1980
This house is a fine example of a classical turn of the century cottage. The Main Street lot originally belonged to Thomas Binns who died in 1891 and left the property to Eleanor Clover, mother of Melvin Clover. Melvin married his housekeeper, Nelllie (nee’ de la Riva), and they first occupied the house in 1911. Their marriage lasted less than a year. The house was deeded to Nellie in 1913 and she retained ownership until her death in 1964. The de la Riva family has a long history in Ventura, and the Binns were related to the Sheridans, another prominent family.
The house incorporates several distinctive architectural features. A dentiled Italianate cornice surrounds the building. A hipped roof with a large shingled pedimental porch is supported by classical Corinthian columns. The shingled pediment features a Palladian style vent. The building’s features also include narrow clapboard siding, bay windows and a decorative redwood front door with sunburst design.
54. Kimball House 7891 E. Telephone Road
Designated July 1981
Eugene C. Kimball, a well-known rancher and inventor of farm machinery, built this house in 1928 for his growing family. Eugene C. Kimball was the son of Charles Newton Kimball who came to Ventura from Massachusetts in 1876 and farmed near Seaward Avenue between Main Street and Thompson Boulevard. The architect for the house was Alfred Frank Priest of Los Angeles. The house has elements of the Colonial revival style. Mission style is seen in the arches, courtyard and the red tile roof, with touches of Monterey revival style in the wood columns. The interior of the house remains much as it did when originally constructed. It is a one-story residence, with a basement, of approximately 4,600 square feet, containing four bedrooms, currently located on a little over one-and-a-half acres.
55. Dunning House 932 E. Main Street
Designated September 1981
The house is a single story California Bungalow built around 1920. It has a side facing gable roof with offset low pitched gable over-porch and heavy decorative beams across the porch. Large stucco columns with a diamond design support the porch roof. The slanted bay window on the east side of the house contains a window seat. The house is covered with clapboard siding and has a red brick chimney. Both exterior and interior retain the original California Bungalow feeling and are in excellent condition. William Arthur Dunning, a local rancher, constructed the house, which was continuously occupied by the Dunning family until 1965.
56. Granger House 1206 E. Main Street
Designated January 1982
This house is a one-and-a-half story vernacular Victorian featuring a high-pitched truncated hipped roof topped with iron cresting and intersecting gables on the south and west side. The house built in 1902 by W. H. Granger, a local grocer. His wife Effie lived in the house as late as 1917.
57.Morrison House 331 Poli Street
Designated May 18, 1982
John C. Morrison was the first owner of this property, which was built in 1880. This two-and-a-half story vernacular Victorian farmhouse features a prominent tower and a profusion of Eastlake details. The detailed porch frieze combines spindle and spool decoration with cutout stick work. The two story slanted bay window on the south side of the house is divided by decorative shingles, which also appear under the main roofline. In 1985 the house was cut horizontally when it was moved from its original location, at 1785 N. Ventura, to 320 W. Main Street to undergo restoration before being relocated to 331 Poli Street.
58. Mission Aqueduct East end of Vince Street
Designated August 2, 1982
Chumash Indians labored to construct the approximately eight foot high wall of rubble that forms the main channel of the Mission Aqueduct. Constructed between 1792 and 1850, the aqueduct system included a dam, reservoir, filtration building, lavandaria, and fountains. Starting at the convergence of San Antonio Creek and the Ventura River, the aqueduct extended approximately seven miles, winding its way along the base of the foothills toward the mission and mission gardens, watering farms along the way.
The aqueduct was heavily damaged in the great flood of 1862, but with repairs, it continued to be used into the 1870’s. Dynamite was used to blast a hole through the aqueduct during the construction of a county road. Segments of the aqueduct are still visible today, and a part of the wall exists in the basement of a house built in 1989. The City of San Buenaventura designated a portion of the aqueduct located at the east end of Vince and Lewis Streets as a historic landmark on August 2, 1982. The City designated portion is the largest and most intact stretch of surface aqueduct known to exist.
59. Blackburn House 721 E. Main Street