Built in 1896 for Capt. David S. Blackburn, Union Army Ret., an early pioneer Ventura farmer, this late Queen Anne residence with Colonial Revival elements is the most elaborate home from the turn of the 20th century still remaining on Main Street. The large two-and-a-half story house has a medium pitch gabled roof with a hipped dormer window, boxed cornice, and decorative brackets under the eaves. A curved roof supported by double Corinthian columns covers the large wrap-around porch. An addition built on the west side for office space makes careful use of matching materials and detail.
60. Alessandro Lagoon Junction of Vista Del Mar
Designated December 1982 Drive and Alessandro Drive
In the later 19th and early 20th centuries the site of the Alessandro Lagoon was known as Chautaqua Flats and was a popular spot for camping and amusement enterprises. Today, it is one of the few existing fresh water refuges of the Pacific Coast flyway within Ventura County. The area is a triangular piece of land approximately 7.0 acres extending easterly from the junction of Vista Del Mar Drive and Alessandro Drive to a point of approximately 0.3 miles on Alessandro Drive which is west of the northern border fence of U.S. Highway 101. The area is presently enclosed in a seven foot high chain link fence.
61. Elwell House 143 S. Figueroa Street Designated March 7, 1985
The Elwell house was built in 1892 and belonged to William Elwell and his wife Edel Frieda Tico Elwell, descendents of important California and Yankee families.
The house has a medium pitched hip roof with an offset gable end and a bay window. Decorative brackets in sets of three are found under the eaves and the bay window has diamond panes in the upper portion. The front porch features turned columns and saw-tooth molding. An addition was made to the rear of the house for use as offices. This house is in a row of three landmark buildings, which share a rear parking lot. Landmarks #73 and #33 are all restored and used as offices. This is a good example of adaptive reuse.
62. Suyter House 1157 Poli Street
Designated April 22, 1985 Selwyn Shaw Historic District
The William Suyter house is one of three landmarks located in the Selwyn Shaw Historic District. This Queen Anne style residence was built by Selwyn Shaw, prominent Ventura carpenter/builder, in 1890-91 as a rental located on South Oak Street. The house was moved to the Shaw block from its original location at 334 S. Oak Street at the time of the Beachfront Redevelopment. Significant features of this well-preserved structure include a two-story octagonal corner tower with a pointed roof that extends from the high-pitched side-facing gable. The pediments on each side of the roof gable and beneath the front facing porch gable have an elaborate flower and tendril applied design. Other decorative details include dentils, fish scale shingles, and stained glass window and door panes on the lower floor. The landmark takes its name from 1920’s resident William Suyter, who served as a local deputy sheriff.
63. El Jardin Patio Building 451- 461 E. Main Street
Designated August 12, 1985
The El Jardin (Garden) Patio building was designed as one of the earliest outdoor malls in Southern California. The shopping court was very popular in the 1920’s, but El Jardin appears to be the only example built in Ventura. The two-story structure, with shops and offices opening onto an interior courtyard, remains basically unchanged from its original design. A large archway on Main Street leads into a well landscaped courtyard built on three levels. The wood trimmed stucco building has large multi-paned arched windows, wrought iron railing and lamps, carved wooden spools, beams, and brackets, and mission tile. Some of the tile has been replaced with brick tile. The use of low pitched tile parapets and flush tile roof lines enhance the effect of a “Spanish Village”. In the 1950’s, the arched front entrances and side windows on the street level were removed and replaced with large display windows.
El Jardin Patio was designed by the prominent Los Angeles architectural firm of Weber, Staunton and Spalding in 1925 for G. W. Chrisman and W. B. and Mary Alpin. The Alpins ran La Floresia, a flower shop on the west side of the courtyard, for many years. Their son, William Alpin, a photographer for Sunset Magazine, had his studio in the rear of the courtyard.
One of the earliest tenants of El Jardin was the Jack Rose Smart Shop, which was the first retailer in town to sell off-the-rack women’s fashion. This store occupied the Main Street location east of the archway. Jack Rose, a man who believed in downtown businesses, opened his first Ventura store in 1925 and continued to personally operate a downtown Main Street store until his death in 1955. In 1948, he built the art deco Jack Rose Building on the northwest corner of Main and Chestnut Streets to house his store.
64. Robert Brakey Residence 413 Poli Street
(La Mer Bed & Breakfast)
Designated October 14, 1985
The Brakey House was built in 1890 for Ventura’s well-known house mover, Robert E. Brakey. Mr. Brakey was a City Trustee in 1916-17 and owned a large portion of the hillside between Oak Street and present-day City Hall. His son, John R. Brakey, continued the house moving business and among his accomplishments was responsible for moving the Port Hueneme Lighthouse, which no longer exists. John also accumulated a large collection of historic photographs, which are now in the possession of the Ventura County Museum of History and Art. The Brakey family continued to live on the property through the 1930s. Although the Vernacular Victorian residence has been significantly altered over the years, it still retains characteristics of its original Eastlake influence. Today, the house serves as the La Mer Bed and Breakfast.
65.Judge Ben T. Williams House 386 Franklin Lane
Designated January 26, 1987
The Judge Ben T. Williams House was built on Ventura Avenue around 1890, possibly by Selwyn Shaw. Around 1950 it was moved to Franklin Lane. It is an example of a Queen Anne ranch house, with Stick Eastlake influence. Benjamin Tully Williams was Judge of the Superior Count of Ventura for many years during the 1890's and early 1900's. He was also one of the most powerful political figures in the County during that time.
66. Charles Corcoran House 831 Buena Vista Street
Designated April 1, 1986
The Charles B. Corcoran Houses embody the distinctive characteristics of a type and period of construction. The original house, built in the California Bungalow style in 1910, is a single story house with low pitched roofs, a porch with overhanging gables supported by elephantine columns, a cast concrete block foundation, and wood siding. This bungalow also includes a large Palladian bay window. The 1930 house is a much finer example of its style. Built in the Mediterranean, or Spanish Colonial Revival style, the architecture includes a red tile roof with low pitch, stucco walls, arched doorways throughout, wrought iron balconies and railings, and exposed rafters and beams.
67. Charles Cooper House 163 Cedar Street
October 14, 1986
Charles L. Cooper, a carpenter, purchased this property at in 1886 and built the house in the same year. One of the more noted owners was Mr. Frank White, owner from 1929 49. Mr. White was a horticulturist and developed new strains of many common flowers. The house represents a particular period of local history when Ventura was only a small community; just prior to the tremendous economic boom created by the arrival of the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1887.
68. Josiah Keene House 41 Bell Way
Designated September 28, 1987
The Josiah Keene home was built near Ventura Avenue around 1872, making it one of the first grand homes built in San Buenaventura after incorporation. Josiah Keene was a veteran of the Civil War; a former U. S. Treasury employee; and a San Buenaventura area rancher. The house, which was moved to 41 Bell Way in 1928, is perhaps the City's only example of Second Empire/Victorian Residential style.
69. Hartman House 73 N. Palm Street
Designated September 28, 1987
In 1911, the Hartman family moved into this residence. Previously, portions of the San Buenaventura Mission complex and a brewery were on the property. The house is a well preserved example of the Craftsman Bungalow style, which was prevalent in California in the first quarter of the 20th century, and contains many of the woodwork details which were part of that style. Gayle Kieran restored the house in 1988.
70. J. A. Day House 759 E. Poll Street
Designated April 25, 1988
Built in 1889 by prominent local grocer and Saticoy area rancher J.A. Day, this Victorian home features many elements of the “stick” style. The gabled walls feature ornamental “stick work” at their intersection with the roof. The steeply pitched gabled roofs feature similar decorative stick work at their apex. The clapboard siding is terminated at the corners with column-like detailed corner boards featuring base and capital-style trim. The entry imitates a tower by continuing through the second floor roof and terminating with its own gable roof. Other Victorian elements include the balusters and frieze, decorative pediments over the windows, and stained glass over the door. The J.A. Day home reinforces the historical feeling of the nearby Selwyn Shaw Historic District.
71. Ventura Insurance Bldg 692 E. Main Street
(Rosarito Beach Restaurant)
Designated April 25, 1988
Built in 1937 for the Ventura County Mutual Fire Insurance Company, this structure was created by noted Los Angeles Architect William W. Ache. Its Art Deco or Moderne style with Aztec Revival flower elements is unique to San Buenaventura. This style attempts to unite arts with industry using machine-age materials and techniques. In this representation, poured concrete is the link material. The building is highlighted by a low hip roof with barrel tile, two sash windows with transom, and the classic lines of poured concrete. Today the site serves as home to the Rosarito Beach Cafe, known for fine Mexican dinning.
72. Erburu House 2465 Hall Canyon Road
Designated January 5, 1989
Mariano Erburu built his California craftsman bungalow in 1909 as a residence for his family. This two story bungalow is distinctive in its size with approximately 4,000 square feet of floor space. The side-gabled house features a large gable dormer in the front and a shed dormer along the back. Exterior elements include a “knee-brace” supported first floor roof along the back, clapboard siding and cantilevered “outriggers” supporting the gabled overhangs. The casement and double hung windows are framed with wide and angled jamb casing. The interior has stained wood paneling, coffered ceiling and built-in cabinetry. The first house built in the area, the residence was a focal point for those traveling to Ventura through Hall Canyon. A Basque immigrant, Mr. Erburu was a prominent Ventura businessman and at one time had up to 300 head of sheep grazing in Hall Canyon. In the late 1890’s he was a partner in a mercantile business with J. Feraud. The exterior and interior have been authentically restored by Robert and Pauline Chainese.
73. Mc Coskey Love House 119 S. Figueroa Street
(Parrish restored to office building)
Designated July 17, 1989
Ada McCoskey Love was the widow of prominent Ventura physician, J. H. Love. Dr. Love moved to Ventura in 1891 and was a major figure in the community until his death in 1906. Ada’s house, built in 1903, uniquely combines elements of the Italianate period with later Victorian influences. The two-story, wood clapboard house has large pediments over the front porch and front second story windows, with applied decoration in the front door pediment. The second story has wide eaves with decorative supports.
This house was originally located at the corner of Chestnut and Santa Clara and moved once before being placed, along with the Elwell House (Landmark #61), at the current location next to the Peirano Residence (Landmark #33). All three houses were restored by attorney Donald J. Parrish for adaptive reuse as offices.
74. Kate Duval House 953 E. Main Street
Designated July 17, 1989
Built in 1902, this charming Queen Anne Cottage features a large front slanted bay window with a shingled pediment, sunburst brackets, and decorative blocks. The front porch was enclosed at a later date. The property was owned by Kate Duval, wife of Eugene W. Duval who owned a hardware store on Main Street. The Duval Family lived in the house next door at 943 E. Main Street and used this house as a rental. The house is significant as one of several houses built along Main Street between 1902 and 1905 that has maintained its character and integrity over the years.
75. J. Hoover Love House 970 E. Santa Clara Street
Designated July 17, 1989
This house was built in 1923 by Louis Rudolph and sold to J. Hoover Love, Deputy County Tax Collector and son of the prominent Ventura physician Dr. J. H. Love. It is unique in it’s blending of a Mediterranean exterior with an American Arts and Crafts Movement interior. The Mediterranean influence is seen in the parapet roof and symmetrical stucco facade. Craftsman features include a carved wood door with four narrow panes flanked by narrow multi paned windows. French doors with wrought iron railings are found on each side of the main entrance with raised quatrefoils.
76. Mabel Nellie Owen House 93 W. Simpson
Designated January 22, 1990 Simpson Tract
This Mediterranean style house was the home of Mabel Nellie Owen who was an activist and voice for the Avenue Community for over fifty years. Projects with which she was involved include relocation of the Taylor Ranch feed lots, opposing a proposal to construct a sewer treatment plant next to Sheridan Way School, building of Westpark and Avenue Adult Centers, initiation of a senior mini bus, and construction of the Church of God in Christ church.
77. Dr. Cephus Bard House 52 W. Mission
Designated April 1, 1991
Dr. Cephus L. Bard, a Civil War veteran, followed his brother Senator Thomas Bard to Ventura in 1868. He was the town’s first American doctor and became very popular. He was a contributor to medical journals, an inventor, and a collector of Indian artifacts, sometimes accepting them in lieu of payment for his services. His collection forms the basis of the Ventura County Historical Museum collection. In 1902, Cephus and Thomas opened the Elizabeth Bard Hospital as a memorial to their mother. Dr. Bard was the first patient to die in the Bard Hospital later that year.
This house was constructed for Dr. Bard in 1886. It was originally located on Oak Street, where Dr. Bard had another residence. The house was moved to its current location in 1951. The house is one of the few Italianate structures remaining in the city and has maintained its elaborate Italianate details through the years. Noted characteristics include a slanted bay window with a mansard roof and decorative brackets and panels, an offset front gable with boxed eaves and cornice that returns with heavily carved brackets, and shiplap siding. The entry porch had been enclosed at one time in the past but has since been restored as an open porch with thin columns and decorative top brackets.
78. Carlo Hahn House 211 E. Santa Clara Street
Designated July 15, 1991
This two-story residence was built between 1912 and 1914 for Carlo Hahn, an agent for the Bordalino Hat Co. and a partner of Giovanni Ferro. Mr. Ferro, Hahn's brother in-law, lived next door in the elaborate Italianate villa once owned by the Schiappapietra family. The Hahn House was built to complement the adjacent mansion. It exhibits several characteristics of early Victorian styles although built well after the period ended. The house was remodeled as a restaurant in 1971. The house is listed as a contributing member of the Mission National Historic District.
79. Hammonds/Reese House 637- 639 Poli Street
Designated September 14, 1992
This well designed house constructed in 1905 is an example of Queen Anne architecture with Colonial Revival elements. Among its outstanding features are a wrap around porch with Corinthian columns and a pediment over the entry with an articulated end medallion, both slanted and rounded bay windows, diamond patterned window glazing, two tall decorative brick chimneys, an irregular gabled roof line, projecting eave brackets, shingle clad gables and second story walls, narrow horizontal clapboard siding and a vertical board clad base skirt wrapping the front and left sides of the house. The hillside lot is elevated above the street behind a Sespe stone retaining wall.
The architect and builder are unknown, but the first owners of the house were Harry and Dora Hammonds. Mr. Hammonds owned an insurance company in Ventura for over forty years. The second owner purchased the home in 1912. He was David J. Reese, the Ventura postmaster and editor and proprietor of the Ventura Daily Free Press and the Ventura Weekly Free Press.
The house occupies a prominent location on the Ventura hillside surrounded by other designated landmarks. The Judge Ewing Residence, Landmark # 14, is located to the west. The Bard Hospital, Landmark # 19, is located to the east, and the site of the Theodosia Burr Shepherd Gardens, Landmark # 34, is located across the street.
80. Pierpont Inn 550 San Jon Road
Designated February 1, 1993
In 1910 wealthy Ojai socialite Mrs. Pierpont-Ginn chose architect Sumner P. Hunt to build this Craftsman bungalow-style Inn for motoring tourists and for her son, Austen Pierpont to manage. Austen later became an architect and added guestrooms and English Tudor Cottages. Since 1928, two branches of the Vickers Family have owned the Inn. The Gleichmanns operated and expanded the property for seven decades. In 1999, the Pierpont Racquet Club owners, the Garretts, purchased The Pierpont and restored the property with architectural and historical integrity. In 2003, The Pierpont was accepted into the Historic Hotels of America by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The Pierpont Inn has hosted many celebrities and notables over the years, including Presidents George H. and George W. Bush.
81. A. D. Briggs House 856 E. Thompson Boulevard (Christopher Place)
Designated May 10, 1993
The house was built for Arthur D. Briggs in 1894. It is an unusually fine and well maintained example of the Queen Anne style, and stands with the house next door at 844 Thompson as an example of the many homes that were located in this neighborhood at the turn of the century.
82. Tudor House 301 S. Dunning Street
Designated October 12, 1993
This home was built in 1929 for William S. Smith. The house, part of the Chrisman Tract, is a classic example of English Tudor Revival architecture popular in the early part of the Twentieth Century. Architectural elements include a high steep gable roof punctuated by three (3) gabled dormer windows, stucco walls with brick as decorative trim, multi-paned windows, and a shingle roof resembling thatching. The house has a brick driveway with accents of brick and wood planters that complete the landscaping. The home continues as a single-family residence.
83. Arcade Building 38 50 W. Main Street
Designated March 21, 1994
The area around Ventura Avenue east and west on Main Street was the beginning of the auto sales industry in the City of Ventura during the mid to late 1920’s. Auto dealers at 38 50 W. Main Street included Dodge, Chrysler, Edsel and Jaguar as well as vintage car operations. The present owner is Robert Addison. Roy Weatherly of Weatherly Motors was a long time owner.
84. Cassidy Dairy Ranch 3908 Loma Vista Road
Designated May 16, 1994
Noted builder Selwyn Shaw built this six-bedroom Colonial Revival house in 1894 on 7½ acres as a country residence for Richard & Amelia Cassidy. He farmed oranges, grain and lima beans. In 1911 walnut trees were planted and in the mid 1920's Cassidy started a dairy, "Cassidy Dairy Ranch", which was discontinued in 1935 upon the death of Richard Cassidy. Fred Cassidy built a barn in 1899 on the same spot where Glen Cassidy, grandson of Richard, built his small house in 1952.
85. San Buenaventura Mission Lavanderia 204 - 208 E. Main Street
Designated November 14, 1994 Under Store Room
The archaeological remains of this Mission era lavanderia were discovered under the rear storage rooms of the Peirano Market and Wilson Studio buildings in 1991 when the buildings were to be rehabilitated. Many post mission era artifacts including bottles, porcelain, stoneware, and abalone shells were found in the crawl space under the floor of the storage areas. A segment of mortared Mission floor tile was also found in the crawl space.
Mission San Buenaventura was built in 1782, and the lavanderia was probably built between 1792 and 1815 in conjunction with the Mission aqueduct, which carried water from the confluence of San Antonio Creek and the Ventura River. The water ran from the aqueduct to the fountain and into the central tank and eventually emptied into the Mission gardens to the west. Lavanderias were constructed at many missions and had many similarities; however, local building materials were used in the construction of each lavanderia and resulted in distinguishing elements and features.
Lavanderias were important to the missions in California as the population of the surrounding area grew. Lavanderias were usually built close to the missions and provided a place to wash the clothes of the Indians and Padres. They also served as a social gathering place for the women of the missions.
86. Erle Stanley Gardner Office 21 S. California Street,
Designated February 6, 1995 Room 306
In the eyes of the world, Erle Stanley Gardner is possibly Ventura’s most famous and prolific resident. Gardner wrote 155 books and over 400 articles, and was once ranked by Guinness World Records as one of the world’s best selling authors. The author of 82 Perry Mason mystery novels moved to Oxnard from his native Massachusetts in 1911. He practiced law after passing the bar without a law degree. Gardner moved to Ventura in 1915 when he joined the prestigious firm of attorney H. Frank Orr. His office was located in the northeast corner of the First National Bank Building (Landmark #36). His custom wood desk was so massive it would not fit in the elevator and had to be brought in through the 3rd story window. He was a workaholic and would dictate his novels into an Edison wax drum recorder so his secretaries could type his manuscripts from these recordings. The first Perry Mason novel, “The Case of the Velvet Claws,” included many Ventura references. He resided in Ventura until 1934. The specific office Gardner occupied does not retain any of Gardner’s personal objects.
87. Casa de Anza 606 612 N. Ventura Avenue
Designated March 23, 1998 11 - 15 E. Simpson Street
This prominent apartment building was built in 1929 by Richard Langdon along with Austin A. Chute Development Co. as a direct response to the booming oil business and the need to house oil field workers in the Ventura Avenue area of the city. The three story building accommodated 14 residential apartments on the second and third floors and four commercial areas on the first floor. Among the first businesses to occupy the building were a dress shop, an upholstery shop, a beauty shop, and a refrigeration service.
Built in the Spanish Colonial Revival style of the 1920s, the red brick structure features a hipped roof tower, quoins in contrasting buff colored brick at the corners, deeply recessed wood casement windows, wood or steel mullioned store windows, wood and glass doors and tile bulkheads. As a result of efforts by the Westside Community Council, the Casa de Anza apartment building has been restored and once again houses apartments and the Avenue branch of the public library.