Conflict: conflict is the struggle between the opposing forces on which the action in a work of literature depends- 5 basic types are person versus person, person versus self, person versus nature, person versus society, and person versus God
Rising Action: the series of events that lead to the climax of the story, usually the conflicts or struggles of the protagonist
Climax: the point of greatest tension in a work of literature and the turning point in the action
Falling Action: the falling action in a work of literature is the sequence of events that follow the climax and ends in the resolution
Name: ________________________________________________ Block: ___________ Definition of the Short Story: Guided Notes 1. A _________ _________ is a piece of prose fiction which can be read at a single sitting.
2. It ought to combine __________ matter-of-fact description with ________ atmosphere.
3. It ought to present a unified impression of _______, __________ and _________ "unity of effect" (Poe)
4. It mostly shows a decisive moment of life (which can entail a fatal blow).
5. There is often little action, hardly any character development, but we get a _____-________ of life (__________-____-__________ story).
6. Its plot is not very _____________ (in contrast to the novel), but it creates a unified impression and leaves us with a __________ _____________ rather than a number of remembered facts.
7. There is a close connection between the short story and the ________ because there is a unique union of __________ and ____________ in both.
8. There is a limited set of ____________, one single _________ and a simple ________
9. A short story very often has an open / abrupt _____________ and an open or surprise ______________.
10. A short story is restricted to one _________ only (fixed place and time, social surroundings).