CRAFTSMEN TRAINING SCHEME (CTS)
SECTOR - IT & ITES
Designed in : 2014
Ministry of Labour and Employment,
DGE&T, New Delhi
Job Role :-
DTP operator in any print and book publishing houses or self employment.
Graphic Designer, Graphic Artists, Design Executives in advertising agencies, print media houses.
Visualiser, Quality Executive, Pre-press Professional in Newspaper/Magazines/ Flex Industries.
Instructors in training Institutes.
On completion of course the trainee should be able to:-
Operate Computer and Peripheral Independently.
Learn about Graphic art Techniques.
Design Logos, Cover pages, Advertisements, Letter heads etc.
Create various types of layout with Formatting
Create Illustration images, Pictures, for various formats meant for printing purpose.
GENERAL INFORMATION –DESKTOP PUBLISHING OPERATOR
Mr. Naresh Chandra, DGE&T
Scheme Name (CTS/CITS/ATS/SDIS/COE)
Existing Course Name
Desk Top Publishing Operator
Passed 10th Class Examination or equivalent
ONE YEAR (TWO SEMESTER)
Additional course proposed
Course proposed to be deleted
Structure (in no. hours)
Reason for change(addition/ deletion of skill areas)
Addition of In-design: Most of the print and publishing house including newspaper, book publishing houses and add agency use this platform and is very familiar in the industry. File manipulation and compatibility with others is easy, hence it is very much required by above industry.
Deletion of Adobe illustrator : It is mainly designing software and it can be incorporated in the CITS where it can be use more efficiently.
Reason for change(addition/ deletion of related theory)
Few theory topics are deleted due to obsolete because these topics are not relevant for DTP Operators and they are not in use now a days.
Technical-(i) Degree in Printing Technology from recognized university with one year experience of computer applications and Desk Top Publishing or Three year Diploma in Printing Technology from recognised Board /Institution with Two Year experience of computer application and Desk Top Publishing or National Apprenticeship Certificate / National Trade Certificate in Desk Top Publishing Operator Trade with 3 Year Experience in Desk Top Publishing and Computer Application.
Desirable- Preference will be given to a candidate with CITS in Desk Top Publishing Trade.
Same as existing one except that candidate with only NAC/NTC must undergo Instructor Training .
Yes , Ready for Printing (NIMI)
Need Minor Revision
To be Developed (brief details)
Not required for this course
On- the job training /field work/in house project work included no. of hours.
Yes, In house Project Work.
GENERAL INFORMATION 1. Name of the Trade : DESKTOP PUBLISHING OPERATOR
2. N.C.O. Code No. : 3121.50
3. Duration : One year (Two Semesters )
4. Power norms : 4.3 KW
5. Space norms : a) Work shop : 70 Sq. Mt.
b) Class room : 25 Sq. Mt.
6. Entry Qualification : Passed 10th class examination or equivalent
7. Unit size : 20 Trainees.
8. Instructor’s/Trainer’s Qualification: Degree in Printing technology with knowledge and
01 yr. experience of computer application and Desk Top
Diploma in Printing technology with knowledge and
02 yrs. experience of computer application and Desk Top
National trade certificate in appropriate trade and 03 yrs.
experience in Desk Top Publishing.
National Apprenticeship Certificate in appropriate trade and 03
yrs. experience in Desk Top Publishing
9. Desirable qualification : Preference will be given to a candidate with CITS in Desk Top Publishing Trade
At least one Instructor must have Degree / Diploma in relevant trade.
Syllabus for the Trade of “DESKTOP PUBLISHING OPERATOR” under C.T.S.
Duration : Six Month
Semester Code: DTP: SEM I
Fundamentals: * Introduction of personal computer & its applications.
* Keyboard practice with emphasis on accuracy and speed.
*Typing Master for speed.
* Practice to store & retrieve Information’s through storage media.
* Use of System & Application Software.
Fundamental & Basics Of Computer
* Introduction to computer, Hardware & Software
* Computer application
* Input Device: Keyboard, Mouse, OCR, OMR, MICR, Digitizer, scanner etc
* Storage Media- Magnetic Disk, Hard Disk, Floppy Disk, CD, etc.
* Output Devices: Hard copy devices & Soft copy devices.
Types of software
* System & Application Software.
Bits, Bytes, RAM, ROM, ASCII etc
Operating Systems: MS WINDOWS:
* MS Windows and its use
* File management, folder, maintenance wizard, setting through control panel.
* Using essential accessories and removal
* Installation of various software.
* Use of Internet accessing/ browsing
* Emailing Downloading
Operating Systems MS Windows :
* Introduction & version
* Desk Top & its terminology
* Setup using Control Panel
* Windows Accessories
* File management Folder Concept
Networking Concept :
* LAN, MAN, WAN
* File & Printer Sharing
* Introduction & Use of Internet
Industrial Visit on awareness
History of Printing and Types
Understanding & File Manipulations in various Software a) MS Word
* Basics of Word Processing:
* Text Selection. Opening Documents and Creating Documents Saving Documents/ Quitting Document cursor Control, Using the interface (menu toolbar). Editing text (copy, delete, move, etc) Finding and replacing text. Spell check feature/Auto correct feature. Grammar facility. Auto text. Character formatting. Page formatting.
* Document Enhancement:
* Adding borders and shading. Headers and footers, Setting up multiple columns, Sorting blocks, Margin and hyphenating. Documents... Data sources Merging Document's Using mail merge feature for labels and envelopes. Inserting Graphics, pictures and text. Using template: and wizards, text wrapping, printing documents. Proof corrections with appropriate proof reading marks.
Comparative Analysis of various printing processes
Conceptualization of Document
Desk Top Publishing:
* Word Processing through MS Word.
b) Adobe Page Maker
* Basic concept: Creating and opening publication, using the tool box, working with palettes, text and graphics, starting a publication from the template, saving and closing a publication.
* Tutorial - positioning ruler guides, typing text, formatting graphics. Creating columns, creating styles, changing type style and alignment. Rotating and moving of text block and graphics, placing text file, setting tab, indents, and leaders copying graphics between publication, positioning and resizing the logo.
* Constructing a publication :- setting up pages, changing document setup, using master pages, choosing a measurement system and setting up rulers, adjusting layout, numbering pages, arranging pages creating running header and footers importing text, threading text blocks, balancing columns, edit story. Customizing the dictionary. hyphenation, leading frames layers, locking, objects wrapping text around graphics cropping a graphic using libraries assembling publication into a book, indexing a publication , creating table of contents , applying color, edit color creating custom color, color libraries table editor, importing, linking and exporting a graphic. OLE
(object linking and embedding).TIFF image. PDF HTML formats printing of publication proof corrections with appropriate proof reading marks.
*Types(Fonts), Type sizes, Different families (Style)
* Point system and other system of measuring
* Casting off, , proof reading and its marks.
* House of style
* Page composition through Page Maker
(c) Quark Xpress:-
* Specifying Document setting
* Creating and opening publications, use of palates & Control
* Typing & text manipulations
* Positioning Resizing. Scaling and stacking typing text. Formatting graphics. Creating columns. Creating style. Changing type style and alignment. Rotating and moving of text block and graphics. Placing text file. Setting tab. indents. Leaders. Copying graphic between publications. Viewing page in appropriate format.
* Master pages. Master items & spreads
* Tables manipulations
* Box and line manipulations.
* Drawing merging & reshaping items.
* Web document Feature.
* Setting up pages, changing document setup. Choosing a measurement system. Adjusting layout. Numbering pages. Rearranging pages, Continued lines & linked text chains importing text. Creating columns. Editing, customizing the dictionary, hyphenation, leading Long documents. Drop caps. Special Characters, Spell Check. Anchoring items to flow with text
* Grouping & locking object. Wrapping text around graphics. Using libraries. Indexing a publication creating table of contents applying color. Edit colors creating custom color libraries.
* Halftone separating & Trapping.
* importing linking and exposing a graphic and document. OLE (object linking and embedding). EPS. PDI. HTML. Formats.
* For outputs. Printing of publication proof corrections with appropriate proof reading marks .
* Introduction of various methods of composing..
* Output device :- Inkjet printer, laser printer, Image setters, computer to plate, computer to printing machine.
* Introduction and preparation
* Various paper sizes (Conventional and metric)
and their uses.
* Various paper calculations
Page composing through Quark Express
* Use of scanner for picking up illustration line drawings she has etc.
* Setting of Scanner
* Selection line per inch, Dots per inch, Pixel inch.
* Selection of highlights. Middle tone and shadow are. Contrast, Brightness, Saturation.
* Reading of color strip and do color correction
* Making of OCR.
Scanning * Principle of scanning
* Types of scanners (Flatbed & Drum) and its use
* Resolutions, DPI, LPI, PPI
* Graphic drawings inputs of pictures, sketches etc.
Preparation of OCR
Project work / Industrial training
All India Trade Test
Syllabus for the Trade of “DTPO” under C.T.S.
Duration : Six Month
Semester Code: DTP: SEM II
Adobe Photoshop * Image Fundamentals: - Digital image pixel. Resolution. DPI, raster image/bitmaps. Vector image/graphics.
* Various File Format:- Bitmap, JPEG, PSD, PDD, TIFF,GIF, WMF.
* Understanding Various Tools:- Marquee- Rectangular/Elliptical. Move Lasso, Polygonal l Lasso Magnetic Lasso, Magic wand. Crop Air brush, Paint brush, Pencil, Rubber Stamp, Pattern stamp, Erase, Paint bucket, Direct selection, Path component selection , Pen custom shape, eye dropper, Hand Zoom.
* Understanding various Palettes:-Navigator, info, Color,
Swatches Style History, Layers.
* Paths, Character, Paragraph, Foreground Colors. Background colors. Default colors.
* Switch colors..
* Details about Status Bar. Option Bar.
* Edit Image in Standard mode. Quick Mask Mode.
* Various Image Display Options:- Standard Screen mode. Full Screen Mode with Menu Bar, Full Screen mode.
* Various Edit Commands:-Transform Preferences, Define Brush etc.
* Varions Image Command Inverse. Ajust, Extract, Liquify etc.
* Mode RGB /CYMK /LAB /Grayscale. Adjust Brightness/ Contrast. Hue/ Saturations, desaurate, Replace Colours, invert, Variations, Canvas size, Rotate canvas, crop, Trim- Various Layer Commands. Rearranging Layers, Lock Layers, Merge down, Merge.
* Visible, Flatten Image. Working with layers set.
* Various Select commands
* Various Filter Effects, Render 3D Transform, Lens Flare. Lightning Effects. Motion Blur. Radial Blur...
* Various View Commands.
* Print Option
*Industrial visit of graphic design studios /Add agency/News paper etc.
DOCUMENT DESIGNING & ADVANCED FEATURES
Continuous tone, half tone, Moiré pattern
Highlight, Middle tone, Shadow areas Contrast and details
Photo editing Software..
Color correction techniques
(B) Corel Draw: - * introduction: - Creating. Opening drawing. Setting up the drawing page. Using the rulers. Grid. And guidelines. Viewing document.
* Drawing and Shaping Objects:- Drawing. Moving & Shaping Object, drawing lines and curves, dimensions line.
* Working with Style & Templates. Organizing Objects:- Arranging & Changing the order of objects.
* Grouping, Ungrouping locking and unlocking objects.
* Using and setting layers
* Aligning & editing objects data. Working with pattern and texture fills. Applying and editing line ending shapes, splitting and erasing portions of objects positioning moving stretching and rotating objects.
* Working with multiple on screen color palettes
* Adding graphics symbols and specials characters. Editing.
* Formatting text and paragraph. Hyphenating text. Linking paragraph text frames, using spell checker and grammar, using thesaurus.
* Creating and editing blends. Envelopes
* Creating and modifying vector and bitmap.
* Extrusions. Creating drop shadows. Creating and editing transparencies, contoured.
* Objects, Working with linked bitmap, cropping, coloring and converting bitmaps.
* Applying special effects to bitmaps by 3D
* effects, blur effects, contour effects
* Creating documents for various formats, using layout. Previewing sizing and positioning a print job.
* Creating color separations, working with halftone and bitmap screens
* Importing and exporting files. OLE (Object linking and embedding).
* Printing of Document/Design.
Graphic design: * Principle of page design
* Elements of design
* Color-Define color, type of colors, impact of colors, color wheel, achieving of different colors through appropriate color percentage. Selection of types (Fonts) for text/Display work.
* Preparation of Graphics
* Creation of rough sketches.
* Color Selections
* Font & Image selection
* Illustration Work
(c) Adobe In Design:- *Document and column set up for a variety of publications
* Identification of tools* Use of rulers,guides and snap-to guides
* Page formatting
* Formatting type including styles, sizes, leading, tracking, kerning
* Using the edit menu – cutting, copying, pasting
* Multiple pasting, editing stories, spell checking
* Formatting paragraphs, moving/resizing text blocks, leading adjustment etc..
* Placing graphics,resizing graphics, text wraps
* Setting up templates and style palettes
* Grouping and aligning objects, multiple pasting with “step and repeat: functions
* Graphic formats, links, resolutions
* Color, color libraries and color separation
* Bi-fold brochures and other custom layouts.
* Rotation tool, drop caps, page numbering and insertion of special symbols.
* Styles and creating a custom style palette, use of templates
* Printing solutions and PPD’s and PDF’s
Page make-up * Principles of page make of Books.
* Board Room/Seminar Presentation material preparations.
* Copy preparation and copy fitting procedures.
* Page making through Adobe In Design
Bilingual Software * Setting of Bilingual (Hindi / Any Regional language) matter
* Solid and Tabular setting with any multi script language software i.e. ileap Office / ISM publisher
* Types of digital printing.
* Uses in commercial operations.
* Inkjet bubble jet /thermal printer/laser printer
used for small and big formats * Page composing through Regional Language Software.
Printer& Publishing:- * Installation of New Printer by printer setup.
* Use of Inkjet/DeskJet/Laser Printer for taking out copies
FILE & PRINT MANAGEMENT Printing: * Various Types of Printers and their uses.
* Merit & Demerits
* File format supported for printing i.e. EPS, PDF, TIFFetc. and also convertion in PDF,
Project Work and Binding:
* Project Work & Binding the pages in form of Book using spiral/spico binding machine.
Project Work and Binding: * Preparation of Project Work for DTP unit.
* Various Binding techniques.
Design Project: * Practice of Graphic Design with combination of text and illustration in proper layout for preparing Visiting Cards, Letter Head, Book/Magazine Covers, Charts etc.
Industrial visits. Various printing processes and related technology, , Inwards works and its costing. Estimating and various Binding techniques.
Industrial Visit / On job training
Costing & Estimating: * Costing and estimating of various jobs* Preparation of masters/ Use of masters for taking out proofs.
All India Trade Test
NOTE: Employability Skills is common for all Trades.
TRADE: DESKTOP PUBLISHING OPERATOR
LIST OF TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
TRAINEES TOOL KIT FOR 20 TRAINEES + ONE
Name of the items
WORKSTATION/NODES : i7 Processor or Equivalent and above with major minimum features as below :
1) 32/64 Bit Processor (3.06 GHz or Higher,4 MB 4-Core) or Higher.
7) PS2 / USB Keyboard, USB/Optical Mouse with latest Licensed of Operating System and anti virus/ OEM Pack(Preloaded).
8) Professional/Ultimate Edition with Internet Facility.
(Note : Model should be with latest configuration.)
10 nos(for Trainees).+ 1 no( For Faculty)
Color Laser Printer
1200*600PI Black & Color, Paper size A4,
2 MB Memory, Printing speed 8 to 16 page per minute.
(Note : Model should be with latest configuration.)
Laser printer with 1 GB RAM and Post Script emulation cartridge.
Resolution 2400 DPI or higher.
(Note: Model should be with latest configuration.)
Page scanner flat bed type scanner
(Reflection & Transmission) with standard accessories4800DPI or higher with OCR software
(Note: Model should be with latest configuration.)
Software (Latest version)
I) Adobe Publishing Collection for windows.
ii) Ms office
iii) Corel Draw
v) iLeap office / Any Bi-lingual/Regional Language software
vi) Quark Xpress for Windows.
vi) Anti-virus Software.
(Compatible with Operating System with Upgradeable license)
1 set Each for
All the computer system should be connected in LAN. The printer connected to any of the places in the Lab should be shared within Lab
As per requirement
Internet connectivity Minimum speed 2 MBPS or Higher
625 VA or higher line interactive UPS with 20
minute battery backup or
5 KVA online UPS with 2 hours battery backup
Spiral/Spico Binding Machine
Air conditioner 1.5 tons with Voltage Stabilizer
C. Furniture items
Chairs for Computer.
Table with sunmica/Novapan top for computers, printers and other machines.
3 Nos.(2 for Faculties)
(1 for stationery items)
Storable cabinet - back up/ software
Shoe rack (Pigeon Hole Type)
Instructor Chair (Lab & Classroom)
3 Nos (1 for each Faculty)
1 No. (for Classroom)
Instructor table with sunmica top (Lab & Classroom)
3 Nos. (1 for each Faculty)
1 No. (for Classroom)
Single Seated Desk/Dual Desk
Student lockers (steel) with 8 compartments
D. Tools & Miscellaneous items
Em scales, steel rules, scissors, Eye glass 10 X.
5 Nos. (Each)
Paper cutter (standard size)
Reference Book for each software.
Note : Lab should be dust proof and having Electrical wiring with proper earthing.