Intimacy: Finding Hope in an Age of Sexual Chaos Our goal for Bethany’s groups this year as we journey together with Jesus is to. . . “Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn’t love in order to get something from us but to give
everything of himself to us. Love like that.”
Ephesians 5:1-2 Date of Message:Sunday, May 8, 2016
Name of Message: Part 5: Having “The Talk” With You Kids 1) Ice breaker – Our high school students provided some valuable feedback about talking to their age group about sex. Which of the following statements resonated with you or perhaps reminded you of a funny / awkward story about how you were first introduced to “sex ed” by your parents or a teacher. Don’t use puppets or action figures to explain
Don’t say you probably know more than I do about this
Don’t’ assume how much we know, talk about sex comprehensively (explicitly)
Don’t say, “Don’t do it” Say wait till marriage
Don’t beat around the bush, get to the point.
Don’t avoid questions. Make it ok to ask and then answer honestly all our lives, not just for 1 talk
2) Review God’s design for sexuality from the last few weeks
Part 1: Our sexuality is a good gift from God expressed throughout our lives. As women and men, we bear his image daily. God also designed sexual intimacy to bless marriage between a man and a woman with joy, with children, and most especially with a transcendent spiritual oneness.
Part 2: For all of us, the gifts God gave us have been broken by our sin, the sin of others against us, and by a world system that is under the control of the evil one.
Part 3: Satan continually seeks to attack our identities as men and women with the lie that we are not enough – leading to gender confusion, discouragement, and mistrust between the sexes – but Jesus calls us to be fully alive in Him, so that together we can reveal His glory.
Part 4: The primary message of the Bible is not a prohibition of sex outside of marriage, but an affirmation that sex is for marriage as a celebration of Oneness and a defense against spiritual attack.
Part 5: Since sex is for marriage, all sexual activity (porneia) outside of the celebration of oneness is harmful – because it is the fruit of selfishness. A vital connection with God and an awareness of His presence will give us the grace not to stumble.
* When we find ourselves resisting any of these truths, it is important to ask this question: “What’s behind that?”
3. Review of this week’s message: Point 1. In community with others, parents have the primary responsibility to _teach_God’s _word_ to their children.
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
Point 2. Parents imparting truth about sexual intimacy …
A. can spare their sons and daughters great__heartache____.
B. … can set them on a path of_joy_ – if their children embrace the _why_ and not just the _how_.
4) What questions were raised or questions answered in today’s message? 5) Of the 4 possible actions steps that Pastor Kevin listed, which one do you think is most important for you at this point in your life 1) Learn it (including how to be forgiven and healed)-
- Intentionally pursuing God’s healing path so you will not be bound by guilt and shame and thus not be free to talk openly with your kids. 2) Live it (and own it when you haven’t.) Allow God to search you and show you where you have been living outside God’s guidelines for your sexuality (might be in attitudes of the heart), surrender yourself to God, receive forgiveness, find His healing path. 3) Listen. – Take a parenting class on how to really listen to your kids, so when you get opportunities to speak your kids will listen. 4) Love – with grace and truth.
6) Pray for one another as you have been during the series.