Amritsar district ranks 3rd in number of buffaloes in the Punjab State, hence is rich in milk and milk products. Pertaining to higher number of livestock, poultry and fish; the district ranks 1st in number of animals slaughtered. As shown in table no.25, 96.72% of the animals slaughtered in the city are sheep and goats. Average no. of animals slaughtered per day is 208. This reflects high demand of animal skin for the leather factories and also the demand of meat for consumption.
The district has natural resources of fishery within its boundaries. The natural fisheries abound in the riverside complex consisting of approximately 128 kms of Beas river, 40 km of Ravi river, 32 kms of Satluj river and 78 kms of Sakki Nala. Besides, there are drains, canals and dhands to the extent of about 400 kms of water courses. The commercially important fish (local name) are: Dhambra or Rohu, Thail, Morkah or Mrigal, Kalehan, Shingara, Saul, Mullec, Paddi, Mahanseer, Kangra etc.
The road network of Amritsar is primarily “Ring Radial” with an intense network of eleven radial roads leading to core city like spokes of a wheel. There are 2 National Highways, 3 State Highways, 6 M.D.R’s and 24 O.D.R’s & number of other important roads passing through the city providing stronger regional linkages (Refer map 8). N.H-1 acts as the central spine cutting the city into two parts namely north and south. These eleven radials emerging out of the city have acted as important nodes for the development.
The road network in the city has been studied in two parts: (i) walled city, (ii) outside walled city (Refer map 9). Walled city carrying one-sixth of the city population is heart of Amritsar city as it generated lot of trade activities, which on other hand generates lot of traffic. A wall and a circular road that runs along the wall both outside and inside the wall bound the old city. There are 14 entry points/ gates of the walled city leading to the various residential areas, specialized bazaars, Golden Temple and other activities within walled city. It has a road network characteristic to a typical medieval town of North India. Narrow winding streets characterize the road network, lanes and by-lanes laid out into introvert planning units. This part of the city is built on human scale with the major thoroughfares and surprising open spaces. The dense road network with narrow width fails to meet the existing transit demands of multi-modal transport with majority of motorized vehicles.
On the other hand, later development includes areas built outside the walled city i.e. north side of the Amritsar – Jalandhar rail line which divides the city into two halves. It is characterized by wide roads. The city does not have any distinct ring although the Circular Road as well as bye pass exist in the northern portion of the city but it is completely absent in the southern portion. The table below lists the important roads passing through the city along with details of road cross sections and right of way.
Table 14: Statement showing the details of Road Cross-Section and R/W of Inter and Intra City Road Falling in Amritsar Local Planning Area
The total length of roads existing in the Amritsar M.C. area is 495.20 kms in the year 2001, which has increased to 524.41 kms in 2004 and 611.13 kms in 2006. There has been an increase of 29.21 kms in the total road length in the city in the last four years and an increase of 87 kms in past two years. This increase has been observed in the category of surfaced roads. Almost 90% of the city roads are surfaced (metalled) roads, among which, 98% are Black Top roads with remaining 2% as cement concrete and water bond macadam roads. The unsurfaced roads have been sub-divided into Motorable and Non Motorable ones. Motorable roads have major share among the unsurfaced roads, which is of the order of 95% in 2004.
Table 16: Length of Roads within Amritsar M. C. (in kms)