Attachment D: Sample Assessment Items
2. After reading, share your notes with your group.
Include the following kinds of information:
Name his teachings, using specific vocabulary from the readings.
What did this person do that made him a leader?
Why would the Catholic church have had a problem with this person?
A John Calvin
B King Henry VIII
C Martin Luther*
D Louis XIV
2. John Calvin, a French theologian, advocated that God had preordained the fate of all people. This was called
3. The Anglican Church became a national church throughout the British Isles under
A Henry VIII.
B Elizabeth I.*
C Charles V.
D Philip II.
4. The Thirty Years’ War was a conflict between
A England and Russia.
B Christians and Muslims.
C Protestants and Catholics.*
D France and Italy.
5. Ignatius Loyola established what order of monks?
A cultural conflict.
B economic conflict.
C political conflict.*
D social conflict.
7. The church court established to reinforce Catholic doctrine was
A the Council of Trent.
B the Inquisition.*
C the Schism.
D the Society of Jesus.
8. Freedom of worship was granted to the Huguenots through the
A Diet of Worms.
B Council of Trent.
C Edict of Nantes.*
D Peace of Augsburg.
9. The primary reason that the North German princes supported Martin Luther was
10. The group formed to reform the Catholic Church was the
A Council of Trent.*
D Society of Jesus.