Faculty council minutes



Download 41.46 Kb.
Date conversion24.05.2017
Size41.46 Kb.
FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

Council Room, 412 Student Union

September 9, 2014




Materer called the meeting to order with the following members present: Avakian, Baeza, Biros, Bliss, Cecil, Chandler, Clarke, Fishbein, Jacobs, Jones, Lloyd, Lowrance, Luttbeg, McBee, Miller, Nabar, Piao, Royer, Siddons, Takacs, Topham, VanOverbeke, Walker and Wansley.

Also present: Bertholf, D., Bird, L., Boles, M., Caldwell, L., Campbell, C., Clark, G., Croci, D., Elliott, K., Fry, P., Harris, AJ., Kiso, B., Lyles, J., Masters, B., Miller, B., Shutt, G., Smith, B., Sweeden, J., Tally, M., Tarbutton, R., Tucker, S., Upson, M., Van Delinder, J., Weaver, J., and Wray, K.

Absent: Chung, John, Kennison, McGaha, Perea-Fox and Wu.
HIGHLIGHTS

Special Reports –

Joe Weaver/Marla Boles – Physical Plant…………...……………………………………..

Barbara Allen – O’Colly…...……………………………………………………………….

Remarks and Comments – Gary Clark for President Hargis……………………………………….

Report of Status of Faculty Council Recommendations and other Vice Presidents……………......

Reports of Standing Committees …………………………………………………………………..

Academic Standards and Policies ………………………………………………………….

Athletics ……………………………………………………………………………………

Budget …………………………………………………………………………………......

Campus Facilities, Safety and Security ……………………………………………………

Diversity……………………………………………………………………………………

Faculty ……………………………………………………………………………………..

Long-Range Planning and Information Technology ………………………………………

Research ……………………………………………………………………………………

Retirement and Fringe Benefits ……………………………………………………………

Rules and Procedures ……………………………………………………………………....

Student Affairs and Learning Resources ………………………………………………….

Reports of Liaison Representatives ……………………………………………………………….

Women’s Faculty Council………………………………………………………………….

Graduate Faculty Council………………………………………………………………….

Library Undergraduate Services……………………………………………………………

Emeriti……………………………………………………………………………………..

SAC ……………………………………………………………………………………….

Wellness Center……………………………………………………………………………



Materer called the meeting to order and reminded the councilors to sign the attendance sheet which was circulating the room. Materer asked for approval of the August 12, 2014 minutes. Motion passed. Materer moved to approve the modified agenda to reflect that President Hargis and Provost Sandefur are in Washington DC. Gary Clark will be standing in for the President and Brenda Masters for the Provost. Also the Athletics Committee will have a brief report. Motion passed.

Special Reports:
A. Joe Weaver/Marla Boles – Physical Plant
Weaver stated that the Physical Plant wanted to give the council a glimpse of kind of things that they have been working on. This is not a final report but just an idea of what they are working on. Weaver introduced Ron Tarbutton and his staff: Brandon Kiso, Marla Boles and Jeff Sweeden. Tarbutton presented the following Next Level PowerPoint presentation along with a live web demo.

Weaver stated that this is a tremendous amount of change and asked for everyone’s support when it’s rolled out in January. Weaver stated there would be some bumps but asked for patience while they work through these.

Materer thanked Tarbutton and crew for the presentation and opened the floor for questions. Materer stated that every Physical Plant employee he has worked with has been very professional. Materer asked about alternate funding for work orders. Tarbutton stated that in the case of maintenance work the key problem codes that are entered are automatically routed to the appropriate account number. If a faculty member puts in something that is a department cost, the Physical Plant has asked for a single department code that will be the default code. Tarbutton said if it’s a research item they will not use the default account and there is an “alternate funding” option where the special account number will be used for that particular work order. Fishbein asked about emergency work orders? Will they be handled the same way? Tarbutton stated there will be a change. For emergency work orders, faculty/staff should call the 24 hour answered phone number, day or night. Do not enter the work order online. McBee asked if this includes weekends and holidays. Tarbutton stated yes. This also includes after hours and times that the university is closed, 365 days a year. Chandler asked if there was a way for faculty to track the status of their work orders like UPS. Tarbutton stated that the faculty member will receive an email when the work order is received, approved and completed. Tarbutton stated that at any time a faculty member can go to the customer portal and view the work order to check the status. On emergencies it’s an immediate response. Tarbutton stated that the presentation today was for maintenance and there is a different module for projects. This is where they have estimated start and completion dates. These are tracked in more detail. Avakian asked how many levels of approval are there behind the action desk. Tarbutton stated the Physical Plant wants everything to be as minimal as possible. The action desk approves the request as soon as it comes in if it’s very clear where it goes. If there is a question it goes to the zone manager who will review it. This is an example if the action desk needs more information about the work order. Tarbutton stated that everything is done electronically. Weaver stated that general maintenance will be approved and tracked quickly.

B. Barbara Allen – O’Colly
Materer introduced Barbara Allen who is the advisor as well as a lecturer in the School of Media and Strategic Communications where she teaches reporting and a class called Electronic Communications which introduces students to some of the software and technology that is used in multi-media journalism. Allen feels that OSU is a community that embraces the educational experience and learning through mistakes is a fabulous way for an entrepreneur to learn. Allen stated that at the O’Colly they make a lot of mistakes. Allen asked the council members to help educate the students not just complain about their mistakes. Allen stated that her job as advisory is quite little. She does not do any kind of pre-publication reviews. She does not read the newspaper before it’s printed. She does not stand over the student’s shoulders or hold their hands while they are writing stories or taking pictures. Allen showed the council members her edits from a printed story which she uses to help students with their stories. She does this to show the students what an editor in the real world will do when editing their stories. Allen stated that the O’Colly is an independent student learning laboratory. It is run by students who are mostly studying journalism but also students who are studying political science, strategic communications and advertising. The O’Colly does its own training, students are training each other. The O’Colly selects and Editor-in-Chief for the entire media organization. They have about 100 students on payroll. There is a board of some faculty, staff, 2 Oklahoma newspaper publishers, students, the advisor and the O’Colly general manager. This group takes applications for the Editor position. Once this position is filled, they in turn determine the newsroom structure, hire other students to be editors and those editors hire the student writers, photographers and designers. The advertising room is just down the hall and they do have a paid advertising manager. All the advertising is sold and designed by students. Allen stated that the O’Colly is an open book. Please come down and let them know if you have a story idea, what’s working well or what’s not working well. Contact information can be found on the website. Allen stated they are trying to instill in the students that they are being held to a high industry standard so they need to hear from the public. Allen has two tips for the faculty to take back to their constituents about how to trouble shoot with the O’Colly. 1. They have a lot of requests from faculty members and administrators to read the stories before they are published. Allen stated that their base line is industry standard. If the student went to work for the Oklahoman or Tulsa World and someone wanted to read your story the answer is always no. The O’Colly does not allow anyone to read stories before they print. What faculty can do is request that the reporter agree before an interview to call back when the story is completed. Request that they read back all direct quotes and give you a general run down of what the story will be. This is well within your rights and the students are trained to know that they can do this. 2. If a faculty member has an event or has a topic that they want covered, send an email with a photo to the O’Colly. Include contact information. Allen opened the floor for questions.
Remarks and Comments: Gary Clark for President Hargis:
Clark stated that the President is in Washington DC meeting with our Congressional delegations and OSU alums. Clark stated that OSU is trying to get some internships and scholarships going and President Hargis met with a potential donor last night. Hopefully they can get a gift to start the fund to enable OSU to have students go to the capitol and spend an entire semester or a few weeks in the summer to gain experience and learn their way around Washington, DC. Hopefully also learn how the system works. President Hargis will be leaving for China soon after returning from DC. He will be visiting with some universities there to build relationships.

Clark stated there will be a virtual ground breaking (the actual ground breaking won’t be until January) of the new Business Building. Weaver stated this is an 18 month project. This will double the size of the current business building.

Clark stated that there are just under 4,100 new freshmen this year, making this the second largest freshman class in OSU history. This is a record enrollment overall for OSU which is good news. The quality of the class continues to increase. Clark stated that 30% of the class had a 27 or above on the ACT. Retention numbers also continue to improve. 100 more students were retained as sophomores.

Clark stated that everyone will be undergoing the sexual assault training which the students are currently taking. The course is an online course that takes roughly 45 minutes. 16,000 students have completed the training so far. Students will not be able to enroll in the spring until they complete this training. All incoming freshman class will complete the course in the future.

Lastly, Clark wanted to mention that administration occasionally gets complaints from students about displays that are put up around campus. Clark stated that with freedom of speech there may be exhibits from time to time on campus that may offend some students/faculty/staff individually. Whether everyone agrees or disagrees, it’s a freedom of speech issue within reason. The administration is open to ideas and hopefully they can choose which ideas make sense and others they wish to ignore. Avakian stated that the administration should be commended to trying to keep an open campus as far as communication of concerns. Avakian stated that OSU is one of the most open campuses he has ever been familiar with. He feels it enlightens the academic life of the campus. Clark stated that there needs to be an open exchange of ideas within limits.

Report of Status of Council Recommendations:
Associate Provost Fry stated that the following recommendation that is still pending:
14-05-01-Faculty: Revisions to P&P 2-0112: Annual Faculty Appraisal & Development Policy.
Fry also stated that freshman retention numbers are up. Retention last year was 78.9%, this year it’s over 81%. Fry stated that this is one of the largest if not the largest increase in one year in OSU’s history. Fry thanked everyone; especially the faculty that teach 1000 and 2000 level courses who have been submitting academic alerts. Hopefully the student success numbers will continue to increase.
REPORTS OF STANDING COMMITTEES:


ACADEMIC STANDARDS & POLICIES – Carol Jones – Update

Recommendation: Academic Integrity Policy
Jones stated that the Academic Integrity Policy was attached to the agenda for today. Jones said the committee has approved the changes as marked and asked the council to approve the recommendation. Motion passed.
ATHLECTICS – Tom Royer – Update

Royer met with Kevin Fite, Associate Director of Compliance on August 27 and Marilyn Middlebrook Associate Athletics Director for Academic Affairs and Director of Academic Services for Student-Athletes on September 2 to discuss this committee’s responsibilities and role with regard to their professional responsibilities. He expressed our collective interest to serve as an independent body to work with the Athletics Council and at the very least, maintain a strong line of communication. Marilyn expressed an interest in the committee reviewing, on an annual basis, the guidelines for Academic Services for Student Athletes I also had a phone conversation with Meredith Hamilton, Hamilton (OSU Faculty Athletics Representative to the NCAA– National Collegiate Athletic Association).

We have 3 vacancies including:

Student Members (2): Yet to be identified.

University Wide: Robert Christianson retired and indicated that he will no longer serve.
We are currently working out a meeting schedule with members.
Materer clarified that the faculty vacancy is a general faculty position and he has some emails out for a replacement. If anyone knows someone who would be interested in serving on this committee to please let him know.
BUDGET –Pamela Lloyd – No Report
CAMPUS FACILITIES, SAFETY AND SECURITY – Nathan Walker – No Report
DIVERSITY – Daqing Piao – No Report
FACULTY – Karen McBee – No Report
LONG-RANGE PLANNING and INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY – Victor Baeza –

Update

Baeza announced that this summer OSU-IT met and worked hard at rewriting almost all their policies and procedures. These changes will be coming before this committee this semester. The committee will have its first meeting next week. The committee will be reviewing all these policy and procedures that they worked on this summer. Baeza said it covered a lot of items. Avakian asked what the purpose of the review is. Baeza stated so they would be brought before Faculty Council for the councils stamp of approval. Materer stated that some of the policies apply to Stillwater only while others apply to all branch campuses as well. This is something that needs to be addressed by the committee. Baeza stated that there were representatives from all the campuses involved in the process. Weaver stated that these IT policies will be system wide since it’s one A&M system.

Baeza stated that during this process it came to light that there were things that some faculty members had no idea that IT supported and items that faculty were working on that IT had no idea that faculty were doing. Friday, October 3rd from 10:00-11:30 in the Peggy V. Helmerich Browsing room in the Library there will be an event called: The Academic Technology Forum. This will bring together the FC LRPIT committee, OSU IT, ITLE, the library and possibly OSU communications to talk about technology based projects, services or resources they feel faculty should make greater use of. After the short presentations, there will be a 30-45 minute question and answer session. The purpose of the forum is to create conversation between faculty and all the different IT offices that provide different types of technology to support research and instruction. The announcements will be out soon. There will also be a link to a form where faculty can submit a question ahead of time. Jacobs asked if the new policy made things easier to figure out who is doing what. Some newer faculty are upset that they have to pay for things out of their own startup funds. These are things that come from IT such as – SAS or HLM. Jacobs asked if these changes would make things more transparent so people know. Baeza said this is something that can be brought up at the forum but is not covered in the IT policies. Materer stated it gets complicated because each college has their own IT department. Baeza stated that during the summer meetings IT found out how many departments are purchasing their own licenses for Adobe products. So now they have their own, campus wide, site licenses so every department does not have to do it individually. Baeza stated that Darlene Hightower has been highly involved in the preplanning of this forum and she will make sure that all the heads of the IT departments will attend the forum. Weaver stated that IT has to maintain the overall environment that makes all the systems work and it’s very difficult. Weaver stated that there was an audit finding last year and the policies were not up to date. Materer asked when the policies were last updated. Baeza stated 1997.

RESEARCH – Gilbert John – No Report
Materer stated that Gilbert has been talking to Sheryl Tucker in the compliance office and some changes and will get these details to us at a future meeting.
RETIREMENT and FRINGE BENEFITS – Rita Miller – No Report
RULES and PROCEDURES – Bob Avakian – No Report
STUDENT AFFAIRS and LEARNING RESOURCES – Barney Luttbeg – No Report

Report of Liaison Representatives:
Women’s Faculty Council – Barbara Miller
Miller stated that the WFC representatives talked with Dr. Fry and Dr. Sandefur about reorganizing the council. Fry and Sandefur suggested the WFC talk to Nick and the Faculty Council executive board about working more directly with Faculty Council as either a part of a committee or form their own committee so they will have more notice for their activities. The group met today and Materer suggested that they could work through the Diversity, Research or Faculty committees. Maybe even have some of their activities, such as the scholarships, go through one of these committees so more people would be able to help with the projects. Miller said the upshot is the Research awards will continue. The award letters will hopefully be out within the week. The electronic part will be available as well.
Graduate Faculty Council – Brenda Smith

Smith stated that they are continuing to work through the process of reviewing policies and procedures related to graduate education. The policy that the council dealt with at their last meeting was the International Teaching Assistantship policy (ITA). You may or may not be familiar with this policy but the important components of it are that people who qualify for needing to take TOEFL Test based on their score from the speaking portion of the test may or may not be required to take some additional English course here on campus which are housed under the Graduate College so they have a GRAD prefix. In the past there were some problems with this: 1. they were not offered for credit, 2. there was no stipulation in terms of what grade needed to be made for a person to have successfully completed the course. This has been changed so now there is GRAD 5092 and 5082 that are 2 hour courses. They were bumped to 2 hours so they would have the appropriate rigor and a B or better has to be made in each of these courses in order to move onto taking the actual ITA exam.

Smith stated that the issue of the Graduate Faculty Bylaws and modification that was approved last spring relative to changing the categories- from members and affiliates to members, associates and Emeriti are being looked at in regards to the process for not only appointment but also reappointment. They are moving into the implementation phase of this process. The council is now looking at the process. The plan is that if someone was a previous member and they meet the criteria under the new membership (full member category) they will be grandfathered in. In addition they want to realign this process with the Post Tenure review as well. This is tricky because it has to go back to the academic units and they are working through this process. The new associate category is also being reviewed and worked on. The academic unit can specify if the associate member will teach only, serve on committees, etc. They will specify specifically what they will do. This can be a 1-5 year appointment. There are also some previous members that now do not meet the criteria to be a full member so they will move to the associate category. There are a lot of details to be implemented. Takacs asked if there is paperwork that needs to be filled out to maintain their status because she has a few grad students that this applies to. Smith stated that all associates have to go through the group process to be approved just like membership in the past has gone through the subject matter group. Takacs and Van Delinder are to speak about this issue.

Library Undergraduate Services – Matt Upson
Upson, Director for Undergraduate Services at the Edmon Low Library, presented the following information about a new undergraduate research award to the council:


This award is all about is promoting/supporting/celebrating excellent library research skills in the undergraduate population. They are asking students to submit their work, a completed project or paper that they have done for an existing course or under the supervision or mentorship of an OSU faculty member along with an essay that is 750 to 1,000 words that reviews their research process. They are looking at topic development, library research strategies, information resources and how they are evaluating the information. They will also take a look at the bibliography that they will be submitting as well. Submissions are due November 3rd. There are two categories; underclassman (freshman or sophomore) and upper classman (junior and senior). There are two awards being offered per category. There will be a $1,500 dollar award for the winner and a $750 award for the runner up in each category. Upson stated that students may be asking faculty members for letters of recommendation for the award. The form can be found on the website. Upson said the Library will be promoting this award over the next few months. If anyone is interested in being a judge on the panel in the future please contact him. Upson said they are offering a series of workshops at the Library that are open to everyone but are especially geared towards those interested in applying for the award. These workshops are currently posted on the award website. Takacs asked if students from Tulsa can apply and Upson said this has not been addressed yet. Upson said they might have to limit this year’s award to the Stillwater campus but can hopefully open it up to all campuses or switch campuses each year. Avakian asked if it was an every semester award. Upson said in the future it will be a calendar year award. This year’s is an abbreviated award because of the timeline. They are still working out the details.

Emeriti –Dennis Bertholf
Bertholf stated that the association held their meeting last night. They had a nice presentation about the 100th Anniversary of Extension by James Trapp. The association is working on their committee assignments and hoping to have those filled soon. Next month Provost Sandefur will be the guest speaker.
Staff Advisory Council – Darlene Croci
Croci updated the council on SAC activities:

1. Distinguished Service Awards. Each year SAC recognizes staff members who have done exceptional service. The application can be found on the SAC website. The deadline for the applications is September 26th.

2. Harvest 2. SAC is in the planning stages of this right now. Each year SAC holds a competition that benefits the Harvest 2 Community Program. There is a trophy given to the department that provides the most donations. Croci believes this is in October.

3. Fall Raffle. This is planned for homecoming and includes tickets to the game and other items. This will raise money for the Staff Development Fund at the OSU Foundation. Joe Weaver has been gracious enough to provide SAC opportunities for staff development activities on campus and they are trying to grow this fun.

4. New recognition program for staff members. This will begin October 1st. In the past SAC has recognized years of service for staff that have completed 5, 10, 15 and so on years of service. SAC is switching to a catalog system where that staff member can log in and choose and item for 5 years of service. In the past they have given lapels pins and portfolios with the OSU logo.

Wellness Center – Mary Talley
Talley found out yesterday that OSU has been awarded a Health At Work award. This is awarded by the expanded employee assistance program. Earlier in the year, OSU was named a Fit Friendly workplace by the American Heart Association. This is two more indications that OSU is a fabulous place for us to work and our students to study.

Talley also stated that on October 9th the annual wellness walk for United Way will be held. Everyone should be getting information about this soon. Betty Thompson is the celebrity walker. She is a former Miss Oklahoma and first runner up to Miss America in 2012.

Tally presented the following Wellness flyer:

Dr. Bird thanked the council and committee that have been working with McKenzie Wilfong on the training for faculty for Title IX. Wilfong said the meeting went great. They will be meeting with SAC to request that faculty and staff review the material to make sure it is being taught in a way that appeals to faculty and staff as well as delivering the information that is needed. Materer stated that he and a member from the Diversity Committee will be meeting and try to understand what we need to do for Title IX. As these meetings progress they will give the council updates. Materer stated it will be a lot of work but will be very beneficial.


Old Business - None
New Business – None

The meeting adjourned at 4:40 p.m. The next regular meeting of the Faculty Council is Tuesday, October 14, 2014 in 412 Student Union, Council Room.
Respectfully submitted,
Deb VanOverbeke, Secretary



The database is protected by copyright ©hestories.info 2017
send message

    Main page