6. The building design includes a l3R sprinkling system but only one exit path
from the two front upstairs apartments.
7. The sprinkling system design includes sprinklers in all common areas and bathrooms.
8. SBC l00.4.2.3.2 requires two exits from second story apartments unless the total
occupant load does not exceed ten.
9. Because each apartment is 575 sq. ft., table l0A of the SBC places the occupancy
classification at 3 per unit or 12 for the second floor.1
10. Section l04.2.9 of the SBC does not require any sprinkling system in a two story apartment house which has less than l6 dwelling units.
11. The buildings in question are not required to be sprinklered.
12. A number of current codes (BOCA, NFPA 101 Life Safety, and the Standard
13. The variance basically proposes to substitute a sprinklered building for one exit
for two second story apartments.
14. Two LFOs were present during the hearing and testified in favor of the design.
15. In fact, the Chief of the Washington Township Fire Department testified that he would like to see all two story apartments with small occupancy loads in Washington Township designed like this.
16. The FPBSC approved an almost identical variance for a 3 story condo (97-4-4)
on April 1, 1997. See Exhibit 6.
17. While this alone does not mandate the approval of future variances, when combined with the solid testimony of the LFO in favor of allowing sprinklers