Script & Series Editors, Right Angle: Penelope Middelboe & Martin Lamb
Series Executive Producer, S4C Chris Grace
List of Characters
Conn (high king)
Goll Mac Morna
KEY: SONG LYRICS UNDERLINED = LYRICS TO BE DUBBED. THESE LYRICS HAVE BEEN SUNG IN ENGLISH (TO BE FOUND ON VOICE TRACKS 1 & 2). LYRCS NOT UNDERLINED = LYRICS NOT FOR DUBBING. THESE LYRICS HAVE BEEN SUNG IN GAELIC (TO BE FOUND ON MUSIC & EFFECTS TRACKS 3 & 4).
1. FIONN: [V/O]My story begins with a death and a birth. The day before I was born, my father fought a mighty battle with Clan Morna. My mother watched from the castle tower.
SCENE 1: THE BATTLE OF THE CLANS 2. MUIRNE: Where is my husband? Can you see him?
3. LIA LUACHRA: There!
4. MUIRNE: Cumhaill! 4a. FIONN: [V/O] My father fought bravely only to be struck down by the coward Cúldubh. 5. MUIRNE: No!
6. CUMHAILL: Take care of our child..... 7. MUIRNE: The baby is coming… 8. CÚLDUBH: The day is ours! Aha! 9. BODBALL: We'll go somewhere safe. 9a. FIONN: [V/O] My father was dead. We escaped and that night I was born.
SCENE 2: THE NEXT MORNING.
10aa. FIONN: [V/O]Somewhere safe … but nowhere was safe. 10. MUIRNE: Lia Luachra? What's wrong? 11. LIA LUACHRA: Muirne, you must leave here. 12. MUIRNE: Alone? 13. LIA LUACHRA: Clan Morna are searching for you and the baby. 14. MUIRNE:Bodball. Lia Luachra. My dear friends, you are his mothers now. Raise him as a warrior, but don't tell him how his father died. 15. BODBALL: It breaks my heart...
SONG: Don Loach …
16. MUIRNE: (ECHOING INTO NEXT SCENE)
Raise him as a warrior... as a warrior, as a warrior SONG: Don Laoch
Mar cheannasai na Fianna One day far away
But ever drawing nearer
SCENE 3: HIS BOYHOOD 16a. FIONN. How well those two warriors taught me to be a warrior. SONG: One day come what may
Fionn will lead the Fianna
MONTAGE OF FIONN GROWING UP AND LIA LUACHRA AND BODBALL TEACHING FIONN TO FIGHT.
Fionn will lead the Fianna PROUDLY AND SADLY LIA LUACHRA AND BODBALL HUG FIONN. HE LEAVES THEM.
FIONN HEARS A WOMAN SCREAM AND SOB.
SCENE 4: FINDING THE TREASURE BAG CÚLDUBH IS STRUGGLING WITH A YOUNG WOMAN.
17. WOMAN: Help me! Save me! 18. FIONN: As a warrior, come here and fight! 19. CÚLDUBH: I will not. No! 20. WOMAN: My thanks to you.
What thing of his will you take? FIONN TAKES THE TREASURE BAG.
21. FIONN: This. 22. WOMAN: Hebelonged to Clan Morna. You're in danger now. Go to the cave on the top of that mountain. Show the trophy to my clan. They live there. Go quickly, and my blessing go with you! SCENE 5: THE STORM ON THE MOUNTAIN. 23. FIONN: My name is Fionn. I am a warrior. 23a. FIONN Who are you? 24. FIACHA: Crimhail. Look! THEY SEE THE BAG.
25. CRIMHAIL: Where did you get this, boy? 26. FIONN: I won it. 27. CRIMHAIL: Where do you come from? Who are you? 28. FIONN: I was raised in the mountains by two women. Bodball and Lia Luachra.I never knew my father. 29. CRIMHAIL: Those women are of our clan, the Clan Baiscne, and so are you. Your father's name was Cumhaill, and you are his son, Fionn Mac Cumhaill. 30. FIONN: Where is my father now? 31. FIACHA: He was killed by the man who stole this bag from him. 32. CRIMHAIL: One of Clan Morna, our sworn enemies.
33. FIONN: Was - was my father a great warrior?
34. FIACHA: Don't you know? He was leader of the High King's warriors, the Fianna.
35. FIONN: Then I could lead the Fianna. Like my father. 36. CRIMHAIL: Clan Morna are the King's warriors now. Our enemies. Your enemies. 37. FIONN: I will go to the High King! I want to take my father's place. Won't you come with me to Tara? ALL: (Mumbling) No, no. 38. FIONN: Then I'll do it alone. 39. CRIMHAIL: (INDICATES BAG)
Use this. Inside there are magic weapons and other wonders. But it will open only when the tide is high. 40. FIACHA: Fionn! Wait! Can you play chess? 41. FIONN: A little. 42. FIACHA: Do you know any magic? 43. FIONN: Magic? 44. FIACHA: Can you sing and write poems? 45. FIONN: Poems! 46. FIACHA: All these things a warrior must know.
Your father knew them. Go to the River Boyne and find a wise man, Finnegas.
Ask him to be your teacher. 47. FIONN: Finnegas, by the River Boyne. Thanks.
Fiacha - won't you come with me to Tara when it’s time? 48. FIACHA: You'd do better on your own. 49. FIACHA: Goodbye, Fionn MacCumhaill.
SCENE 6: ON THE BANKS OF THE RIVER BOYNE 50. FINNEGAS: Whoa there, boy. You nearly scalped me. 51. FIONN: Sorry. I didn't see you. Are you fishing? 52. FINNEGAS: No, I'm milking a cow. 53. FIONN: I can fish. Watch me. 54. FINNEGAS: Would you like to work for me? 55. FIONN: I'm sorry, sir. I'm looking for a very very wise and magical man. Maybe you know him? Finnegas? 56. FINNEGAS: Oh, I know him. Very well. 57. FIONN: It's you! Will you teach me to play chess, and write songs and poems, and do magic?
58. FINNEGAS: I could do...
59. FIONN: How long will it take - a year?
Longer? 60. FINNEGAS: It would take most people seven.
SCENE 7: THE SALMON OF KNOWLEDGE 61. FIONN: [ IN V/O] So I lived with Finnegas for a year, and he taught me all he promised. It was hard work, because every spare moment we'd be trying to catch a very special salmon. 62. FINNEGAS: There! There he goes! After him, boy!
63. FINNEGAS: Ah! My beauty! This is it, this is the one! The Salmon of Knowledge.
64. FINNEGAS: Watch the fish. It mustn't burn. Ha! I've been waiting all my life for this moment. You know it's written that the wise man who eats this Salmon will gain all wisdom and knowledge? I'll put on my best robes. 65. FINNEGAS: Don't eat the fish. 66. FIONN: On my honour, I promise. 66a. FIONN Oh, it’s burning! 67. FIONN: Ow! AS A REFLEX, FIONN SUCKS HIS BURNT THUMB. A MAGICAL EFFECT HAPPENS. THE SPIRIT OF THE SALMON RISES FROM THE DEAD FISH AND SPEAKS TO HIM.
68. SALMON SPIRIT: Fionn. My wisdom is with you. You are
the chosen one. 69. FIONN: Oh no! What have I done? 70. FINNEGAS: So. Let me taste this marvellous fish. 71. FINNEGAS: No knowledge. No wisdom. Nothing. Just a piece of burnt salmon. 72. FIONN: I'm sorry. 73. FINNEGAS: You promised. On your honour,
74. SALMON SPIRIT: He has done no wrong. Help him, Finnegas. Great he will be, but greater are the trials he must first go through.
75. FINNEGAS: My blessing on you, boy. Your destiny is a hard one. You must go to Tara.
76. FIONN: The court is full of my father's enemies...
77. FINNEGAS: Tonight is the great feast of Samhain. You can go in safety. Even Goll Macmorna will harm no man till midnight; it is their custom. 78. FIONN: Midnight? That's only a few hours. 79. FINNEGAS: Yes but the tide is high. Quick, put your hand in. Take the first thing you find. FIONN PUTS HIS HAND IN. HE FEELS AROUND INSIDE THE BAG.
FINNEGAS PUTS THE WINGED HELMET ON FIONN.
80. FINNEGAS: Ever flown before, Fionn?
Good luck go with you! 80a. FIONN: I knew I would be in great danger at Tara
but I had the treasure bag – surely that
would help me?
SCENE 8 THE GREAT ASSEMBLY 81. FIONN: Fiacha! 82. FIACHA: You asked me to come. 83. FIONN: Thanks friend. 84. FIACHA: Now, when you go into the Great Hall, keep well away from Goll – he's the big man with the eye patch. Go straight to the High King. 85. FIACHA: I'll wait for you here. This spear needs sharpening… 86. FIONN: I claim my birthright. 87. CONN: Which is? 88. FIONN: To be leader of your Fianna. 89. CONN: And who are you to demand this of me, the High King of Tara? 90. FIONN: I am Fionn, son of Cumhaill. 91. CONN: Prove it. 92. FIONN: Who was losing the game here? I'll take his place - 93. GOLL: Why, you!!!!!! 94. CONN: It's not yet midnight. 95. CONN: This boy has nerve. No man alive beats me at chess, and he challenges me? (LAUGHS)
96. FIONN: Checkmate. 97. GOLL: He's won!
98. CONN: And now I know you are indeed the son of Cumhaill.
99. CONN: Wait. At midnight, Tara is set on fire each year by a dragon spirit. No warrior here has stopped him yet. We sleep under his spell. Destroy him and you will be Leader of the Fianna. 100. FIONN: I'll do it. 101. FIONN: My task is to kill a spirit. 102. FIACHA: Ssh. Listen. 103. FIACHA: That's it! 104. FIONN: I can’t kill that! 105. FIONN: I'm sleepy. 106. FIACHA: Fionn! Don't! 107. FIONN: Fiacha - is there something in the bag that we can use to keep us awake? 108. FIACHA: I - (SLEEPY)
109. FIONN: No! 110. FIACHA: I …(FALLS ASLEEP) 110a. FIONN: There’s no time for magic. Quick – a sharp spear – Now I’m awake! 110b. FIONN: I have to do something, but what? FIONN SUCKS HIS THUMB. THE SALMON SPIRIT APPEARS.
111. SALMON SPIRIT: You must entice him into a doorway. Only there can you kill him with a human weapon. 112. FIONN: A doorway? 113. FIONN:No magic, then. Just a warrior's skill. 114. DRAGON: Hail Fionn MacCumhaill, leader of the Fianna!
SCENE 9 The Birthright Truly Won
115. DRAGON’S HEAD: What no man could do, this boy has done. I'll come no more to Tara.
116. FIONN: Goll of Clan Morna. Fiacha of Clan Baiscne. Two warriors, two equals in my Fianna. Shake hands, for the old quarrel is over! 117. CONN: Well said. And let it be well heard by you all. 118. ALL: We hear you! 119. FIONN: Your majesty. Warriors. Men and women all, these are my mothers. See that you revere and honour them, as I do. 120. FIONN: [V/O]And that's how I became Leader of the Fianna.