An attempt to write a foreword to Baba's Charters and Sayings may well be described as an effort to discover the Sun with a lighted taper. None is more conscious of this than myself but my revered brother B.V. Narasimha Swami whose privilege it has been to compile the "Charters and Sayings" would not brook my denial of the honour of writing this foreword. With Baba's divine grace, the lighted taper may perhaps dimly light the way out of the depth of theSamsaric Cavern to the Radiant Sun outside; and if it does so, it will be an addition to the Charters.
Self-realisation is the aim of Mysticism; but the means to the end must be suited to the needs of the individual. Baba in the flesh was, to his devotees, the embodiment of the Supreme Spirit lighting the Sadhakas'path by his every word and action. The mortal body has passed away but the "Baba" once in it now lives in the Spirit Eternal helping in the silent way he often did in the flesh the myriads of his devotees who seek solace in him. A Sadhaka however must need have something manifest and perceptible to the senses on which to pin his faith; and the 'Charters and Sayings' compiled by Swamiji will serve as a manifestation of that Supreme Spirit in words. As Lord Sree Krishna manifests Himself in the Bhagavad Gita, so does Baba in the 'Charters and Sayings'.
The compilation will doubtless be a beacon on the Sadhakas' path; but it would likewise transport persons like my humble self, who had the privilege of being at Baba's feet when He was in the body, back into the old times, and revive fond memories of the blissful moments spent with the Master.
The 'Charters and Sayings' are useful as precepts both in the world spiritual and the world material. Pervading them is the love of an ardent devotee who pictures Baba as the Body, the Jeeva and the Shiva. At one stage says Baba "I am your servant's servant"; next "I am a servant of Allah"; and yet again "I am He." Intellect fails here; but the spirit beyond the intellect and mind is manifest, In the body Baba was the insignificant human being; between it and the supreme Shiva, he was as "Jeeva" a wheel in the great machine; but transcending these He stood as Shiva Himself.
The onward march of Science may some day co-ordinate these phases in the frame of the Intelect. The miracles referred to in the book may cause a sceptic to stare. To the devotees in tune with the Infinite Baba they are only events in thfe process of evolution-mysterious to the mere man-but explicable in the light of Faith and Love.
One cannot be too greatful to Swamiji for the labour of love which has crystallised this phase of Baba's divine personality in the 'Charters and Sayings'. All I would say is All glory to the Master and to his "Vyasa" the Swamiji; and may the book serve to create and foster Faith and Devotion in all corners of the country!
Baba's Religious Tolerance and Catholicity – 593-94
Baba and Conversions 595
Baba's Prayers 596-99
Baba's Practical Wisdom and Detachment 600-05
Baba's Conservatism 606-607
Baba's Mystical Rites and Wisdom 608
-grain powder to stop epidemics
-coin rubbing to ward off evil and promote welfare
1. Baba's advice reg. His biography 609
2. His peculiar methods of talk-Parables,
3. His peculiar humour, double entendre,
4. Baba's peculiar method of teaching 621-25
5. Baba and photography, uselessness of
Photography to understand him 626-34
6. Baba's parables 635-43
51 A. Baba appearing on 23-8-1954 to C C Mankiwala at Ahmadabad, said, "write to B.V.N. Swami and tell him Baba is always present before His bhaktas. He is the guiding and all pervading power that shapes the ends of devotees and even of the Universe".
Ah Blessed Lord, Oh High Deliverer!
Forgive this feeble script, which doth Thee wrong.
Measuring with little wit Thy lofty love.
I take my refuge in Thy name and Thee.
Thou seemest human and divine,
The highest, holiest manhood, Thou.
(Apantaratma) These men do never die; They become the Praised Ones, They shed mercy on the world with myriad hands. They help the helpless. They aid the depressed.
They leave not those that follow them when the time of
danger comes. They are men, only in name. In reality, they are God Himself, These solitary ones are marvellous.
Bedil, the Sufi of Sina
Faith is the sun of life
And her countenance shines (like the Hebrew's)
For she has looked upon God,
Sri Sai Babas Charters and Sayings
(As Dwaraka Mayi)
1. This is Dwaraka Mayi of ours on which you are setting. This wards off all dangers and anxieties from her children. Highly merciful is this Masudi Ayi. She is the mother of those who place their entire faith in her. If they are in danger, she will save them. Once a person climbs into her lap, all this troubles are over. He who sleeps in her shade attains bliss.
2. What can the snake do to Dwarakamayi’s children ? They look on amused, when the snake appears.
When Dwaraka Mayi protects, can the snake bite.
3. We have no need to fear. Strike, le me see how you can strike and kill (ef,36,473)
4. This is not a mosque. It is Dwaraka. Those who seek refuge in her will never be harmed.
5. As soon as one climbs the steps of the mosque suffering due to Karma are at end and joy, begins. That Fakir (God) is very kind and will relive your troubles.
6. When any one enters this Dwaraka Mayi, his goal (object) is achieved.
7. This place (Dwaraka Mayi) is for Tarana i.e., saving people, and not marana ie., killing them.
(Meaning of Dwaraka Mayi)
Masudi Ayi i.e, Dwaraka Mayi is Sai.
8. I do nothing. I receive nothing. Datta calls for his own. He has called for Rs.15/- his due and given it to Masudi Ayi. So the money has been received (by me)
(Baba’s promises in His own name)
9. My eye (of vigilant supervision) is ever on those who love me.
Whatever you do, wherever you may be, ever bear this in mind, that I am always aware of everything you do.
10. If one ever meditates on me, repeats my name, signs my deeds, and is thus transformed into me, one’s Karma is destroyed. I stay by his side always.
11. You should have truth always with you. then I shall be always with you, wherever you are, and at all times.
12. I will be with you, whenever and wherever you think of me. Do not fear.
14. If, one ever dwells on me in his mind and will not even taste food before offering it to me, I am his slave. so also if he hungers and thirsts after me, and treats all else as unimportant.
15. I am (Bhaktaparadeena) the bond slave of my devotees, I love devotion.
16. He who withdraws his heart from wife, child and parents and loves me is My real lover and he merges in Me like a river in the sea.
17. Saibaba: The key of my treasury is now placed in your hands. Ask for anything you want, Rs. 5 to 100 a month or what you will and I will give it to you.
Devotee (M B Rage) declines to ask.
SB: Ask something, I am anxious to give you.
D: Is it agreed that you will grant anything I ask for?
D: Then, Baba, I want this. In this and in any future birth that may befall me, you should never part from me. You should always be with me.
SB: Yes, I shall be with you, inside and outside you, whatever you may be or do.
18. My devotee feels Me in you, in himself and in all creatures and sees all as his Guru. He will become myself.
19. If you make me the sole object of your thoughts and aims, you will gain Paramartha. (supreme Goal)
Look to me; I will look to you.
Trust the Guru fully. That is the only sadhana. Guru is all the Gods.
20. If one devotes his entire mind to me and rests in me, he need fear nothing for body and soul. If one sees me and me alone and listens to talk about me and is devoted to me alone, he will reach God (Chaitanya). He who worships me as Nitya, Suddha and Buddha comes to me.
21. Those who perpetually repeat repeat my name reach their goal.
22. Simply say “Sai” “Sai” with heart overflowing. I care not for show of respect and forms, I rest in such devotees.
23. Repeat my name. seek refuge in me. But to know ‘who I am” have Sravana and Manana.
24. I am formless and everywhere.
25. If anyone casts his burden on me and thinks of me, I look after all his concerns.
26. Yes; you can place your burdens on me.
27. In the abode of my devotees, there will be no dearth fo food and clothing.
28. You devotees are my children. I am your father. You have to get everything from me. So you should not talk like that (and say Sai is not God).
29. Why are you anxious? I take all care of you.
30. Sit quiet, Uge Muge. I will do the needful. I will take you to the end.
32. Why do you fear ? Am I not here (where you go to ease yourself?)
33. Stay here, treat it as yoru house
Governor came with a lance to pierce Dada (G.S.K). I had a tussle with him and drove him out. Finally I conciliated him.
Why should any fear, When I am here?
34. When this baby sleeps we have to stand by, keep awake and watch or take trouble.
35. I will not allow my devotees to come to harm. I have to take thought for my devotees. And if a devotee is about to fall, I stretch out my hands, and thus with four, four (i.e. a number of ), outstretched hands at time to support him, I will not let him fall.
36. I am its (frog’s) Father, and am here. Will I let the snake eat it ? See how I effect its release…….. Hallo Veerabadrappa be ashamed of your hatred. Give up hatred. (The snake dropped the frog) I have kept my word and saved Basappa (the frog from Viradadrappa the snake). God has saved him by sending me.
37. See I have to suffer for your sake, to remove your sufferings.
I wil lnot let you die. I will die first ere I let you die (Nadram) (Nadram lived long after 1918)
Nana is about to die. But will I let him die ? (535-A)
Fakir (God) wishes to kill Dada Saheb (i.e., G.S.Khaparde) but I will not permit him.
O Anna ! if I had delayed a minute, this man (S.B.Nachen) would have indeed perished. The madman had seized him with his hands, even his troat. But I extricated him. What is to be done ? If I do not save my own son, who else will.
38. He is mine, and mine alone.
I alone have to shoulder the responsibility for carrying him across. Whom has he got except me?
39. You are now safe, Go.
40. Night and day, I think and think of my people, I con their names over and over again.
To S.B.Dhumal Bhau, the whole of last night, I had no sleep. I lay thinking and thinking of you.
At every step, I have to take care of you, Else, what will happen to you, god knows.
42. I get angry with none. Will a mother get angry with her kiddies? Will the ocean send back the waters to the several rivers? I love devotion, I am the slave of my devotees, Bhakta Paradhina.
43. How can I allow my children to fast or starve?
44. Come, Sirs, carry away bags of udhi, Come, cart away the treasures of your mother.
Look here, People come and say Baba, give. I tell them to take. No one takes.
45. My master told me to give bountlessly to all that ask. No one listens to me or wisdom. My treasury is open. Non brings carts to take from it. I say dig; none will take any pains. I said dig out the treasure and cart it away. be the real and true sons of the mother and fully stock your magazine. what is to become of us i.e. this body life? Earth will return to the earth; and the air (breath) will return to the air. this opportunity will not return.
46. Place your entire faith in my words. Your object will be accomplished.
“Even from the tomb the voice of Sai Cries”
Baba’s survival as Apantaratma
47. To Lakshman on 15-10-1918
Jog thinks I am dead. I am living. Come and perform morning Arati
48. (Give me) my 1¼ Rupee (Majya Savva Rupya)
49. My tomb will speak and move with those who make me their refuge.
50. I shall be active and vigerous from my tomb also.
51. I will be with you, the moment you think of me, at any place.
52. As soon as a devotee calls unto me with love, I will appear. I require no train to travel.