Source Hampshire County Deeds 725-492 , 763-102 , and 1918 Pelham Tax Valuations
Style/Form Craftsman Bungalow Architect/Builder George Howard Caldwell [b. 1866]
Foundation fieldstone & concrete
Wall/Trim clapboards, shingles
Roof asphalt shingle Outbuildings/Secondary Structures garage converted to house Major Alterations (with dates)two additions ca. 1950; deck added, ca. 1980; windows replaced ca. 1980. Condition good Moved No (X) Yes ( ) Date Acreage 0.63 Setting North-facing house is set close to the heavily-trafficked road and is screened by shrubbery.
ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION ¨ see continuation sheet
Describe architectural features. Evaluate the characteristics of this building in terms of other buildings within the community.
This is a one-and-a-half story, dormer-front bungalow that is shingle sided on its second story and clapboard sided on its first story. The end-gable roof is asphalt shingle covered and centered on it is a broad, shed roof dormer with four windows. There is one interior chimney. Foundations of the house are mainly fieldstone. The house is three bays wide and two bays deep and windows are replacement 1/1 sash. On the south side of the house is a deck and a one-story addition; on the east is a second, single-story addition. The most distinctive feature of the bungalow, its deep porch, has been retained as an open porch. Although they are not identical, this house is very similar to the bungalow at 7 Amherst Road, due to having been constructed, no doubt, by the same builder. Both share the battered porch posts that rest on high porch railings, their overall scale and exterior materials. Formerly paired windows here at 5 Amherst Road on the street side have been replaced by single glazed openings.
The popularity of this house form during the early decades of the 20th century was due, in part, to its open interior plan that required less housekeeping and was flexible space for various family activities, and, in part, to its simple exterior that was aesthetically pleasing and economical to build.
HISTORICAL NARRATIVE ¨ see continuation sheet
Discuss the history of the building. Explain its associations with local (or state) history. Include uses of the building, and the role(s) the owners/occupants played within the community. 5 Amherst Road was originally part of Lot 58-3 [58th lot in the third division] drawn by James Thornton, Sr. [ca. 1684-1754] in 1739. Thornton was one of the founders of Pelham. He was one of two agents for the proprietary company which purchased the land from speculator Col. John Stoddard [1682-1748] that eventually became the town of Pelham. Thornton’s son, Dr. Matthew Thornton [1714-1803] lived in Pelham for a time and was signer of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 from New Hampshire.
Montague City Fish Rod Factory and West Pelham land owner Eugene P. Bartlett [1853-1925] sold the lot which became 5 Amherst Road to George Howard Cadwell [b. 1866] on August 24, 1916. Cadwell was an Amherst resident when he moved to 51 Amherst Road in Pelham in 1908 where “he operated a large farm…specializing in poultry and livestock…During the period of his residence in Pelham he purchased a farm property [51 Amherst Road] on the main highway, and divided the tract into house lots, on which he built houses, selling them and thus adding to the growth of the population and the real value of the town. He also built the Pelham school house [City School II]. He was elected a member of the Board of Selectmen and occupied the office of chairman of the board for a long term of years.” [“History of Western Massachusetts,” III: 50]
George H. Cadwell developed properties on Amherst Road and Cadwell Street. Cadwell Street was named for him. [Cadwell Forest in Pelham was named for his brother, timber baron Frank Arthur Cadwell (1860-1935), while Cadwell Creek was named for their father, Aretas James Cadwell (1828-1876).]
Two properties not contiguous with 51 Amherst Road but developed by George H. Cadwell were 5 and 7 Amherst Road. Cadwell’s 1918 Tax Valuation contains the first mention of a building on 5 Amherst Road: “1 house.” 5 and 7 Amherst Road were both very similar houses, while 5 Amherst Road is identical with another Cadwell house, 49 Amherst Road, built in 1916.
Cadwell sold 5 Amherst Road to Henry B. Johnson [b. ca. 1895] and Hilma Peterson Johnson [b. ca. 1901] in 1920. Johnson was a carpenter. The Johnsons had two children born while they were living at 5 Amherst Road: Dorothy Marion Johnson [b. 1921] and Kathleen Eleanor Johnson [b. 1926]. The Johnsons built 2 henhouses by 1921 and had 18 fowls. Hilma Johnson’s parents bought 4 Amherst Road, across the street. Her father lived there until his death in 1928 and her mother until moving to Amherst in 1943.
In 1929, the Johnsons sold 5 Amherst Road to Enfield undertaker Harry Clifton Stevens Moore [1887-1944] and his second wife Minnie B. Ayres Moore [1887-1976]. Moore’s family had been undertakers in Enfield for three generations. He and his family had to leave after the taking of Enfield by the Commonwealth for the creation of the Quabbin Reservoir in 1927. “A thoroughly up-to-date scientifically educated mortician is Harry Clifton Moore” reported the “History of Western Massachusetts” in 1925. Moore served Pelham as an assessor and cemetery commission. In 1940, during a story on town meeting at Pelham Town Hall, Life Magazine published a photograph of Moore and others being sworn in.
The Moores built a garage in 1930, added an “undertaking room” [a separate outbuilding] in 1931 and a summerhouse by 1936. Harry Clifton Moore died in 1944. In 1946, Minnie Moore sold 5 Amherst Road to William D. Kenney [b. ca. 1913] and Lorraine B. Kenney [b. ca. 1920]. Kenney was a truck driver and construction foreman when he resided at 5 Amherst Road. Three children born to the Kenneys were Michele Marjorie Kenney [b. 1948], Steven S. Kenney [b. 1951], and Robert D. Kenney [b. 1958].
The Kenneys sold 5 Amherst Road to Frank Ozereko [b. 1948] and Francine T. Ozereko [b. 1951] in 1981. Frank is a professor of fine arts at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and Francine is an artist. Their 1984 Tax Valuation lists 1 house, 2 garages and 2 sheds standing at 5 Amherst Road. Frank exhibited a series of paintings “in the tradition of Chinoiserie-art inspired by things Chinese” in the Pelham Library in 2004.
BIBLIOGRAPHY and/or REFERENCES ¨ see continuation sheet
Hampshire County Deeds 725-492 ; 763-102 ; 1010-483 . Hampshire County Plan Book 77-83 .
Pelham Tax Valuations, Annual Reports, and Street Lists, [Town Vault, Town of Pelham; and History Room, Pelham Free Public Library].
Pelham Vital Records, [Town Clerk’s Office, Town of Pelham].
Federal Census, 1920.
Board of Assessors, Town of Pelham, Revaluation Card, 5 Amherst Road, 1982.
Parmenter, C[harles] O[scar], “History of Pelham,” [Amherst, MA: Carpenter and Morehouse, 1898], pp. 24, 25, 30, 31.
Lockwood, Rev. John, Ed., “Western Massachusetts: A History, 1636-1925,” [New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1925], Vol. 3, pp. 49-50; Vol. IV, pp. 760-761.
“Life Goes to a Town Meeting with the People of Pelham in their 200-year-old Hall,” Life Magazine, March 4, 1940, pg. 93.
Aldrich, Kenneth R., and Pearly P. Keyes, Jr., Personal Recollections, 2003 and 2004, to Robert Lord Keyes.
Aldrich, Walter Scott, Jr., in “An Evening at Campbell’s Bakery,” [Pelham Historical Society Meeting, May 18, 1998], [Video in History Room, Pelham Free Public Library].
Nicolay, Edward P., Personal Recollections, April 19, 2004, to Robert Lord Keyes.
Keyes, Robert Lord, 40 South Valley Road, Pelham, MA 01002, Pelham, Massachusetts History Project: Genealogical and Historical Research.
Recommended for listing in the National Register of Historic Places. If checked, you must attach a completed National Register Criteria Statement form.
Massachusetts Historical Commission Community Property Address
State Archives Facility
220 Morrissey Boulevard Pelham 5 Amherst Road
Boston, Massachusetts 02125
Area(s) Form No.
National Register of Historic Places Criteria Statement Form
Check all that apply:
Individually eligible Eligible only in an historic district
Contributing to a potential historic district Potential historic district
Criteria: A B C D
Criteria Considerations: A B C D E F G
Statement of Significance by _Bonnie Parsons________________________________
The criteria that are checked in the above sections must be justified here. This property contributes to the potential West Pelham Historic District. The district is significant according to criteria A and C and it has local significance. West Pelham is significant as the site of 18th century settlement at four mill sites, one of which exists today, and for its association with events of Shays’ Rebellion after the Revolutionary War.
West Pelham, known during the late 19th and early 20th century as “Pelham City” represents a 19th century agricultural and light industrial village that superceded Pelham Center as the town center due to the long term success of its industry attracting and sustaining workers and to its development in the early 20th century as a suburban area for population spillover from Amherst, long a college town and intellectual center of the region. A late 19th century resort destination, West Pelham is also important as it retains a building from this era, and from the resort Orient Springs. The district retains buildings from its 19th century agricultural, resort and industrial past as well as from its early 20th century suburban phase, which continues to the present. There are fine examples of Federal and Greek Revival farmsteads. With a Queen Anne store and single and double houses from the Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles - applied to bungalow, cape and Four-square forms - the district’s stylistic range as a home to workers and suburban commuters is exemplary.