health care vacant/not in use Number of Contributing Resources
industry other: previously listed in the Inventory
7. Description Inventory No. PG: 81A-008
Condition excellent deteriorated
X good ruins
Prepare both a one-paragraph summary and a comprehensive description of the resource and its various elements as it exists today.
The Gardiner House is a two-and-a-half-story, five-bay structure designed in the Colonial Revival style in the early 1920s. The house, located at 9408 Juliette Drive, is sited on an expansive wooded lot in Clinton, Maryland, containing more than one acre. The lot is surrounded by dense residential development. The house is set back from Juliette Drive, which curves slightly around the property. A gravel driveway with a circular turnaround fronts the house and is accessed from Juliette Drive. The house is fronted with mature shrubs and trees. A shed is located to the rear of the house in the south corner of the lot.
Dwelling The Gardiner House was constructed c. 1922 in the Colonial Revival style, which was the dominant style throughout the United States during the first half of the twentieth century. Set on a concrete foundation, the large two-and-a-half-story house is wood-frame construction. The five-bay wide structure is clad in weatherboard siding with corner boards, all of which is original to the house. A hipped roof with overhanging eaves caps the structure. Covered with asphalt shingles, the roof is pierced by an interior-side corbelled brick chimney. Front-gabled dormers with raked cornices are located on the façade and south rear elevation. Both dormers have paired 6-light casement windows flanked with louvered wood shutters.
The façade (north elevation) of the main block exhibits symmetrical fenestration. The central bay on the first story of the façade houses the main entrance. The single-leaf wood door has a square-edged surround and is bordered by 1-light sidelights. A one-story front-gabled portico, with a curved underside, frames the entrance. Tuscan columns support the portico. The entrance is flanked by two 6/1 windows. The second story of the façade features paired 4/4 windows in the central bay, which are flanked by two 6/1 windows. All windows on the façade have operable louvered wood shutters and ogee-molded lintels. The west (side) elevation has a set of four 6-light casement windows and two 6/1 windows on the first story. The second story of the west side elevation has three 6/1 windows. The south (rear) elevation, like the west (side) elevation, features a combination of window openings. The central bays of both the first and second stories have two 6-light casement windows. The first story has two 6/1 windows located to the east of the casement windows, while the second story has two 6/1 windows located on both sides of the casement windows. A one-story addition obscures the original windows on the western portion of the south elevation’s first story. Windows on the east (side) elevation are obscured by a two-story addition.
The materials used to construct the one-story porch addition indicate it was constructed c. 1940. The porch is located on the south (rear) elevation of the main block. Covered by a shed roof, the wood-frame porch is clad in weatherboard siding. The porch has screen panels on both the west side and south rear elevations. A single-leaf screened door on the south (rear) elevation of the porch provides access to the dwelling.
There is a two-story addition located on the east side elevation of the main block. Constructed c. 1950, as evidenced by its materials and form, the addition has a flat roof pierced by a chimney of brick construction. The structure is clad in vinyl siding, contrasting with the original materials on the main block. The façade has paired 1/1 vinyl windows on the first and second stories. The south rear elevation also has paired 1/1 vinyl windows on both the first and second stories. The west side elevation of the addition has double-leaf multi-light doors flanked by tripled 1/1 vinyl windows. The second story has eight 1/1 vinyl windows. The west side elevation also features pilasters running from the first-story windows to the roofline. The interior of the house was not accessible at the time of the on-site survey.
Shed Located to the rear of the house is a one-story shed. The materials suggest a construction date of c. 1950. The wood-frame shed is one story high and one bay wide. The structure is clad with asbestos shingles and capped by a front gable roof. The roof, covered in asphalt shingles, has a raked cornice and overhanging eaves that display the shed’s exposed rafters. A single-leaf door on the north elevation provides access to the shed. The interior of the shed was not accessible at the time of the on-site survey.
The Gardiner House, which predates the residential subdivision that surrounds it, is an established and familiar visual feature of the neighborhood. Although the house is no longer associated with a farm, which compromises its integrity of association, its large, wooded lot visually and physically separates the property from the surrounding development, helping to maintain its integrity of location, feeling, and setting. The dwelling retains its original design, materials, and workmanship. An addition on the east (side) elevation of the house unmistakably reads as a modern addition and does not detract from the design or workmanship of the main block. Thus, the Gardiner House maintains sufficient integrity to convey the qualities for which it is significant.
The shed, associated with the Gardiner House, retains its integrity of materials, workmanship, design, setting, location, feeling, and association.
The Gardiner House and property retains a high level of integrity.
8. Significance Inventory No. PG: 81A-008
Period Areas of Significance Check and justify below 1600-1699 agriculture economics health/medicine performing arts
1700-1799 archeology education industry philosophy
1800-1899 X architecture engineering invention politics/government
X 1900-1999 art entertainment/ landscape architecture religion
2000- commerce recreation law science
communications ethnic heritage literature social history
community planning exploration/ maritime history transportation
conservation settlement military other:
Specific dates c. 1922 Architect/Builder Unknown
Construction dates c. 1922, 1940, 1950
National Register Maryland Register not evaluated
Prepare a one-paragraph summary statement of significance addressing applicable criteria, followed by a narrative discussion of the history of the resource and its context. (For compliance projects, complete evaluation on a DOE Form – see manual.)
Statement of Significance The Gardiner House, located at 9408 Juliette Drive, was constructed c. 1922 on an established, working farm. At the time the primary dwelling was built, the farm consisted of 209-¾ acres and illustrated the agricultural shift from large plantations to small farms that occurred in Prince George’s County during the last decades of the nineteenth century. The Colonial Revival-style Gardiner House stands out as a more high-style example of a farmhouse in Prince George’s County than the more commonly found vernacular I-house form. The Gardiner House maintains a high level of integrity, which helps the building convey its significance.
The Gardiner House is located in Clinton, Maryland, a community in the southern portion of Prince George’s County. Changes to the county’s economy that occurred from the end of the Civil War (1861-1865) to the turn of the twentieth century are still visible in the landscape of southern Prince George’s County. During this period, agriculture, while remaining the dominant form of livelihood, changed from large plantations to small farms. Freed blacks operated a large number of these small farms, but during the Reconstruction period, both white and black newcomers to the county purchased the majority of small farms.1 The Gardiner House was constructed on what was considered a small farm, which consisted of just 209-¾ acres. S.H. Evans of Pennsylvania had bought the farm in 1892.2 Evan’s purchase of the farm illustrates the trend of new residents to the county acquiring small farms.
The Evans family owned the property for more than twenty years before Evaline and Charles S. Evans, heirs of S.H. Evans, sold the farm to Rebecca Berger in 1915.3 Miss Berger, a Pennsylvania native, was 55 years old when she purchased the farm. In 1920, she was noted in the Federal Census as the head of her household, with no occupation.4 The farm changed hands again in 1922 when James St. Clair Gardiner of Iowa bought the property.5Gardiner, a farmer by trade as indicated in the 1920 Federal Census, was a bachelor when he purchased the farm. Around 1922, James Gardiner had the Colonial Revival-style house that now stands at 9408 Juliette Drive constructed. By the time of the 1930 census, he was married to Johanna Gardiner, also a native of Iowa.6 In 1930, the couple had two children named Irene and James S. that were 3 and 2 years old, respectively. The census also stated James Gardiner’s occupation as a clerk for the Department of Justice.7 After purchasing the farm and constructing a house, James St. Clair Gardiner became an active member of the Clinton community. Gardiner served on the Board of Directors of the Clinton Bank.8 Gardiner’s occupational shift from farmer to clerk illustrates the growth occurring in the Washington, D.C. area at the beginning of the twentieth century, with the number of farms reduced and employment by the federal government increasing.
In 1935, Gardiner sold the farm. The subsequent four owners – Frederick and Loretta Bickford, Mark and Jean Massel, Chen and Helen Shang, and Elizabeth Pryde – owned the property for six years or less.9 Presumably, the property continued to operate as a working farm. The farm remained intact until 1956 when Elizabeth and John M. Pryde sold a 40-acre portion of the farm that included the house to the Clinton Realty Company, Inc.10 Under the ownership of the Clinton Realty Company and Pullander Construction Corporation, the subsequent owner, the farm was subdivided and developed as the Surratt’s Garden subdivision. The Gardiner House sits on a lot containing slightly more than one acre and is legally defined as “Lot 12 in Block D, Plat #1” of Surratt’s Garden. Although the house is currently surrounded by dense residential development comprised of one-story, brick-faced ranch houses, it continues to stand out as a significant feature of the Clinton community.
9. Major Bibliographical References Inventory No. PG: 81A-008
1920 and 1930 U.S. Federal Census (Population Schedule). Online: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Subscription database. Digital scan of original records in the National Archives, Washington, DC. http://www.ancestry.com.
Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and Prince George’s County Planning Department, Historic Sites and Districts Plan, 1992.
Prince George’s County Land Records.
10. Geographical Data
Acreage of surveyed property 1.18 acres
Acreage of historical setting 209-3/4 acres
Quadrangle name Anacostia Quadrangle scale: 1:24,000
Verbal boundary description and justification
The Gardiner House is sited on a 1.18 acre lot, which was originally part of a 209-¾-acre farm. The farm was first subdivided in the 1950s and the size of the lot was reduced. The lot is bounded to the north by Juliette Drive, which curves to form a portion of the western boundary. The eastern boundary is a row of residential lots that face Small Drive. The southern boundary, again, is a row of residential lots that face Gwynndale Drive. One residential lot abuts the property, forming the western boundary. The Gardiner House has been associated with the lot now designated as Lot 12 in Block D, Plat #1 of Surratt’s Garden since its construction c. 1922.
11. Form Prepared by
name/title Elizabeth Breiseth and Paul Weishar, Architectural Historians
organization EHT Traceries, Incorporated date October 2007
street & number 1121 5th Street NW telephone 202.393.1199
city or town Washington state DC
The Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties was officially created by an Act of the Maryland Legislature to be found in the Annotated Code of Maryland, Article 41, Section 181 KA,
The survey and inventory are being prepared for information and record purposes only
and do not constitute any infringement of individual property rights.