c1913 Aber Artro, Llanbedr, Mer CG; Mod. Bldng Record 4 1913, B&B; Local stone and Bromsgrove mullion ws.
BATEMAN, J. F. LATROBE Engineer
1871-5 Nant Hir Reservoir and Dam, Hirwaun, Glam; A. Sutherland contractor. BoW
BATES, CYRIL F. Son of FR Bates of Newport qv, with Colin L Jones in 1920s (B&J), then with his father as FRB&Son 1930s, FRB Son & Price 1950s and 1960s; 1922 Newport War Memorial, Mon; B&J; BoW 455; Comp victory;
1928-9 Royal Chambers, High St, Newport, Mon; BoW 450; B&J;
1930? New buildings, Newport Market, High St; B&J; Br 14.12.28)
1936 St Joseph RC, New Zealand Rd, Cardiff, Glam; BoW 285, CFB;
1939 St Winefride’s Hospital, Romilly Cres, Cardiff; BoW 279; CFB;
BATES, F.R. Architect. Firm was later FRB & Son; then FRB, Son & Price. Son was Cyril F. Bates qv.
1892 Treharris Public Hall, Mon T Br 30.7.92
1892-3 Blaina WM, Mon T: Br 30.7.92
1892-3 Blaina Institute, Mon; Br 9.4.92; BoW
1895 Nos 142-3 Commercial St, Newport; Br 30.3.95; BoW;
1895-6 Maindee CofE Schools, Newport; Br 22.6.95;
1897-8 No 85 Stow Hill, Newport; Br 28.8.97;
1898 Powell’s Tillery Inst, Abertillery, Mon; Br 16.4.98; and add of gymnasium 1902 Br 29.3.02; and add of reading and billiards rooms 1908 Br 4.7.08.
1898 St Michaels Rd RC School, Newport Br 22.10.98;
1901 adds Beaufort Arms, Newbridge, Mon Br 26.1.01; Gwent RO D.866.341; now The Newbridge, BoW)
1891-2 Alts Eng WM, Carmarthen, and schoolroom CJ 31.7.91, W 25.6.92; dem.
1874 tower and spire, Castle Caereinion ch, Mont; BoW; ch of 1866 by T. H. Wyatt ? des for tower by THW)
BATTEN, JOHN D.
1910-11 Panelling on E wall Llanaber ch, Mer, in mem of Miles Leonard Davies + 1908; designed by JLB, carved by Mary Batten, Ada P Riddle and Norah Bennett, dedicated 23.4.11. inf PH
BAUGH, A. C.
1890-1 Wrexham Arcade, Wrexham BoW 307)
BAYLIS, BENJAMIN Brecon Surveyor (roads) in 1844 dir.
BAYLIS, CECIL RICHARD. 156 St Helens Rd, Swansea architect, Kelly 1926.
BAYLIS, JOHN HENRY. Swansea. Cf BoW Glam 94. AEBTD 1868: pupil of RJ Hodgson; office 11 Wind St: designs inc Post Office; Deaf & Dumb Asylum; Jews Synagogue; Vicarage, all at Swansea. Also Pontardawe church; Schools at Bryn-aman; gunpowder magazines for Curtis & Harvey of Glyn Neath; warehouses Swansea Docks; business premises of Messrs Jacob, Shepherd and others in Swansea; premises for Duke of Beaufort; bonded warehouse and vaults for Mr Ford and for D. & F. Williams; premises for Allsopp & Sons; premises for The Cambrian newspaper; premises for Pearce & Brown; finishings to Messrs Taylors premises, Castle Square; villas for D. Williams Esq; for JE Davies Esq; for George Richardson Esq; and many others in neighbourhood of Swansea, Neath and Carmarthen. Also Warehouse for Messrs Baylis, Botolph Lane, London.
1855? Cambrian Deaf & Dumb Establishment, Swansea; BoW; and flanking wings by JHB soon after 1860;
1858-60 Pontardawe Ch, Glam; BoW; AEBTD; Orrin 137; FS Cambr 21.5.58, opened Cambr 13.7.60; contr Jos Holtham Bath; £5347; for William Parsons of Ynmysdrew House; Br 9.8.62; font 1907)
18?? Schools Bryn-aman; AEBTD; not found in Brynamman, Cms.
18?? Mansions near Carmarthen, Cms; AEBTD; not identified.
1872 Lodge to Kilvrough, Pennard, Glam; BoW; for Thomas Price;
1876 Ilston School, Glam; Bow; for Thos Penrice of Kilvrough; Tudor;
BAXTER, WILLIAM +1840. Clerk of the works at Penrhyn Castle, Caerns, 1819-40. NT guide 22 records him buying stone at Penmon, Ang, April 1819. In Pigot 1828-9 dir. A Mr Baxter repaired Capel Curig ch, Caerns, 1837.
BDG McCOLL Cardiff & Bristol. Formerly McColl Associates (MA)
1982-7 remodelled Grand Theatre, Swansea; BoW; MA;
1996-8 St Elli Centre, Llanelli, Cms; BoW BDG McColl of Manchester;
1999 Entr House of the Future, St Fagans Museum, Glam; Touchstone 6 1999)
BDP see Building Design Partnership
1863 chancel roof, Montgomery ch; BoW)
1868 S porch, Montgomery ch; BoW)
BEANLAND, J. & W. Contractors, Bradford, Yorks.
1830-1 rebuilt nave, St Thomas ch, Overmonnow, Monmouth, Mon, under supervision of Arthur Wyatt, agent to Duke of Beaufort; BoW)
BEAUMONT, J.W. & R.F. Manchester. Also JWB & Sons. Pendlebury Hall orphanage, Heaton Norris 1880-2 JWB; Whitworth Art Gallery Manchester comp 1891 1894-1908 JWB&S; Denton Library by JWB 1894; Physics Lab Manchester Univ 1900-1 add 1912; Winter’s buildings St Anns Sq Manchester 1901 JWB; 35 Dale St Manchester 1903 JWB; Whitworth Institute 1908 JWB; Whitworth Laboratory Manchester U 1909; 21-33 Oldham St Manchester 1914 JWB;
1893? Queens Hotel, Abergele Rd, Old Colwyn, Denbs BoW)
BEAZLEY, SAMUEL. London. 1786-1851. Leading theatre architect, playwright, novelist, soldier, also des railway stations 1816 Lyceum London; 1820 Theatre Royal Birmingham; 1822 alts Theatre Royal Drury Lane and colonnade 1834; Leys Castle Inverness RA 1833 neo-Norman; Studly Castle Warws neo-Norman 1834; St James Theatre Leicester 1837; alts Cahir Castle c1838-40; Adelphi Theatre 1841; Hillersdon House Devon RA 1848; Dover Pilot House 1848; for SE Rlwy stations inc London Bridge 1850-1, housing at Ashford 1851; Lord Warden Hotel Dover 1848-53 RA 1846 EVA 16 27; also North Kent Rlwy stations Gravesend & Erith. Lived at Tonbridge Castle, Kent.
c1830-2 ?inv in neo-Norman adds Bryn Bras Castle, Caerns; RH; not in Colvin;
BECK, HARRY 3 Central Chambers, Sheffield
1883 adds ‘Tyn-e-Coed’ Mer; ill BN 19.10.83 ‘remodelling of garden front, removal of present entrance from S to N existing reception rooms enlarged and a billiard rm and library added (on l. side of house). Large mullioned and gabled. Not identified, not Tynycoed, Arthog, Mer;
BECKETT, RICHARD THOMAS, Chester. 1867-1937. Pupil of Paley & Austin 1886-90, then in John Douglas office c1890, practice from 1894. He was son of Richard Beckett, Douglas’ brother-in-law by a 2nd marriage (E Hubbard John Douglas, pp 3 & 206); RIBA Dir 1993 67. 1898 entr Salford Cemetery comp, RTB of Liverpool RHH;
1906-10 adds Vivod, Berwyn, Denbs; BoW 104)
1910-11 1st pr St Saviour ch, West Shore, Llandudno; assessed WD Caroe, HL North 2nd; Br 6.1.11; RA 1911. Nave only built; Name on plaque; now Llandudno B;
1920s adds Holy Trinity ch, Llandudno, Caerns; ?plans made for appeal for new chancel and side chapel 1918; TCHS 1994 12ff;
1928-30 Holy Trinity ch, Llandudno Junction, Caerns ICBS, ?plans 1923-5 for first addition. RTB of Tryddyn.
BECKWITH, H. L.
1903? Add Moor Park, Llanbedr Ystrad Yw, Brec; BoW)
BEDALL-SMITH, L. see SMITH, L. BEDALL.
BEDFORD, THOMAS 772-1817. Architect, brother of noted London architect Francis Bedford (1784-1858). Related to Bedfords of Laugharne. Clerk to Sir John Soane 1797-8. In Llandeilo c1803-13 and then in Laugharne (TL). Died in Great Yarmouth 1817.
1803 payment for ‘altering offices’, Slebech Hall, Pmbs; BoW; John Carter noted repairs going on in 1805;
1813 Capel Isaf, Manordeilo Cms. House for Thomas Lewis of Stradey CRO Mansel-Lewis 2022 has plans and spec for a house different to present one. TL thinks it does seem to have been built, but rebuilt very shortly afterwards? Colvin has 1811 CRO Mansel Lewis 1920 & 1590;;
TL thinks he came down to design Abermarlais for Admiral Foley and did a series of Regency houses in and around Llandeilo: e.g Llandingat House, Llandovery, for David Lloyd Harries c1818; Llwynhelyg, Manordeilo; the series of hipped lodges and vicarage with Gothic windows for Lord Rt Seymour of Taliaris; Talley House;
BEECH, GERALD R. Worked with Quentin Hughes of Liverpool School of Architecture. Later career spent at Wells, Som, primarily church restoration.
1962 alts stable as chapel, Coed coch, Betws yn Rhos, Denbs; BoW 107; B&H
BEECK, -, London, Engineer.
1830 Plans for Loughor Bridge, Cms/ Glam; C 18.9.30; Blt 1832-4 to plans by W Brunton qv Dem.
BEER, ARTHUR J.
1966 Camelot court, Caerleon, Mon, by Arthur T Beer, AJ 11.1.67, fourteen houses, four flats;
1990-1 alts St Woolos Cathedral, Newport, Mon; BoW
BEESTON, FREDERICK ROBERT London. AEBTD 1868; pupil Samuel Beazley, in practice with son Frederick. Designed new bldngs in St Georges Place Hyde Park Corner inc Alexandra Hotel; Rackets Club Hans Place, London; FRB begun Manchester-Milford railway section from Llanidloes to Llangurig 1860, abandoned. His son Frederick Beeston Jr then worked with David Davies as contractor on other part, Pencader-Aberystwyth 1865-7 (I. Thomas, Top Sawyer, pp83-4, 87, 103); AEBTD says Frederick B was pupil of FRB and in ptnrship with David Davies completed the Manchester & Milford from Aberystwyth to Carmarthen.
BELL DESIGNS, Architectural services. 34 St Mary St, Cardigan.
2006-7 Houses for Tai Cantref, Maes Ingli, Newport, Pmbs. Signed plans.
2009 Waterfront building, The Strand, Cardigan, Cd;
BELL, ARTHUR E. Son of resident engineer Barry Dock & Railway Co.
1897-1900 Barry Docks Office, Glam; £50,000; BoW
BELL, FRANK W.
1905 Screen, Llandenny ch, Mon; NLW LL/F/?)
BELL, RICHARD London
1861-2 Glamorgan County Asylum, Penyfai, Glam; BoW)
BELLIS, FRANK Architect, High St Bangor. In Mold, then w Robert Grierson qv in Bangor 1890s (G&B), then on own in Mold, then on own in Bangor, cf Copes Dir 1929.
1922 des for Memorial to North Wales Heroes, Bangor, Caerns; BN 26.5.22;
BELLIS (JOHN) & KAY (ROBERT B.) Wrexham
1972-3 converted Marford Mill, Rossett, Denbs, to offices BoW 267
1973 housing on Traeth, Harlech, Mer; PH;
BELLS, FRANK, Mold. Error for Frank Bellis
BENEST, JAMES SMYTH Norwich, former Borough Surveyor Merthyr Tydfil (BoW) or surveyor to Board of Health (Orrin). E.E. Benest was City Surveyor, Norwich, 1854-9, and JSB from 1868-78; BoE 159: 1850 school to Christ Church, New Catton, Norwich, w A. Newson; 1859-60 adds Norwich School; 1860 Lodge, Rosary Rd Cemetery, Norwich; 1861 rest Blackfriars, Norwich; 1861 Middle School Norwich; 1864 Fishergate School, Norwich; 1866 Drill Hall Norwich; 1867 porch Halvergate ch, Norfolk;
1857 Christ Church, Cyfartha, Merthyr Tydfil, Glam; BoW; Orrin 103; money given 1852; ICBS 4608 1853; £2677; contractors Wm Daniels Abergavenny and P. Rees Merthyr Tydfil; Br 9.5.57; CMG 2.5.57.
BENFIELD, JOHN Mason. Died at Pembroke Dock at advanced age, 1856. It was under his superintendence that the mansion at St Brides Hill, St Brides, Pmbs was erected; PH 28.3.56. House was built before 1833 (Lewis TD) St Brides Hill was later called St Brides Castle and was built for Charles Philipps, possily by Thomas Rowlands (TL). Benfield is buried at Slebech.
BENMORE, GEORGE PHILLIPS Architect and surveyor, Bangor. Much work on Penrhyn estate and did numerous cottages for estate at Abergwyngregyn, Caerns, prob incl Wig farmhouse; ?also at llanfairfaechan inc ?Plas Newydd c1860; at Betws y Coed; and at Llandegai inc possibly Anchorage built for head forester, and Haulfre c1870; AV;
1857 Plas Llanfair Cottage, Llanfairfechan, Caerns, for Rd Luck, HL North’s grfather; ext c1900 by HLN.
1861 Ysbyty Ifan ch, Caerns/Denbs; BoW Clwyd 317;
1863 remodelled Deanery, Bangor, Caerns; plans NLW B/B/3; Robert Roberts & Evan Jones bldrs.
1980s Capitol Shopping Centre, Queen St, Cardiff; BoW
BENSON, W. A. S. 1854-1924. Originally appr to Basil Champneys, but in 1880 persuaded by William Morris to set up as a metalwork mfr. Factory in Hammersmith and from 1887 New Bond St shop, also designed furniture for JS Henry & Co, ironwork grates for Coalbrookdale and Falkirk and became chairman of Morris & Co after death of Morris. Lived in Manorbier, Mrs Benson at Castle Corner 1926. Collection of drawings found in Manorbier 2008 suggest numerous small works in area, inc Summerhouse at Lydstep for Lord St Davids, Village Hall at Jameston, refronting pub at Manorbier (inf RS ex David Glennister).
c1908 Manorbier Village Hall, Pmbs;
BERBIERS, J. L. Chief Architect Cwbran Dev Corporation, Mon, 1969-72, the only major housing, Hollybush, des by deputy JL Russell qv 1971.
1970s Old peoples flats in centre of Newtown, Mont; BoW 179.
BERNARD, CHARLES EDWARD. Cardiff. Architect. Civil engineer, Crockherbton, 1844 dir.
1853-4 Llanddewi ch, Cwm Rhondda, Glam; Orrin 73; £1050; CMG 26.5.54; NLW LL/F/129; nave replaced 1897-8 by EM Bruce Vaughan and chancel replaced 1912 NLW LL/C/130. 1853 ch had grant from church Commissioners.
1864-6 Royal Hotel, St Mary St, Cardiff; BoW;
1878 24-6 Queen St, Cardiff; BoW;
BERRINGTON, SON & WATNEY Prudential Chmbrs, Wolverhampton
1920 54 houses in Corwen RDC area, Mer; Br 19.11.20
1923 Edeyrnion reservoir nr Corwen, Mer, for RDC; Br 3.8.23
BETHELL, J. R. C. County Architect, South Glamorgan
1986-7 South Glamorgan County Hall, Hemingway Rd, Cardiff, Glam; BoW 266)
BEVAN, DAVID Hirwaun
1857 Siloam B, Penderyn, Glam;
BEVAN, WILLIAM Junior. Civil Engineer, High St, Swansea, 1835 dir
BEVAN, WILLIAM Cardiff
1892 selected Lady Chapel, St Peter RC ch, Roath, Cardiff Br 2.7.92
BEVAN, WILLIAM ALDRIDGE Merthyr Tydfil, surveyor 1844 dir
BEVIS & HILL, architects, Southsea, Hampshire. ?CW Bevis of Portsmouth selected in Bristol Infirmary competition 1900 RHH.
1882 Plans Sunday School, Bush Street, Pembroke Dock, Pmbs; T Arch 21.10.82; W 13.10.82. ?not used as Parish Hall blt 1883 des by K McAlpin qv of Pembroke Dock;
BEYER, PEACOCK & Co. Locomotive engineers, Manchester Henry Robertson qv was director with CF Beyer. When Beyer had Llantysilio Hall, Llandysilio, Denbs, blt for himself in 1872-4 by S Pountney Smith qv the stables 1874 were apparently designed in the office of Beyer, Peacock & Co; BoW 199;
BEYNON, BENJAMIN Builder Tenby
1887 Bldr Marine Bath, Southgate House, Tenby, Pmbs; TO 21.7.87
BEYNON, DAVID. Cilycwm. 1810-? Son of Thomas Beynon. Monumental mason, cf index sculpt and Carms Antiq 1989 46, fl 1830s-70s. Carms Antiq 1994 95, 102. David Beynon, normally of Glanrhyderryd was living at Neuadd Arms Cilycwm in 1856 when inn was being rebuilt, and may have been involved.
1845 Cilycwm Ch, Cms, paid for reslating (CRO chwdns accnts)
1858 Cilycwm ch, Cms, lychgate; Paid £35 for porch to chyard; CRO CPR 29
BEYNON, THOMAS. Cilycwm, Cms. Mason +1839; m Gwenllian Phillips 1793. Tenant of Plough House (Old Post Office) 1832. Father of David q.v.
BFLS, Paddington, London. Practice formed by former members of Foster + Partners.
2009 Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, North Rd, Cardiff, Glam; Touchstone Dec 2011; new concert hall etc; senior partner had worked on Sage, Gateshead for Fosters.
BIBBY, PETE Architect Flint
1894 rest St Mary ch, Bagillt, flints; under way Br 27.10.94; Richard jones contr;
BICKERS, W. Bradford
1911 Theatre, Murray St/ Market St, Llanelli, Cms; LG 16.11
BIDDLE, GEORGE PARKER, CE Engineer.
1858 Plan of Llanelly & Pembrey Docks, Cms; ?survey; HRO MR 710
BIDDULPH-PINCHARD, C.H. Architect London born 1876 articled King & Lister, Plymouth, worked at Wellington School, som in 1920s; rest Great Chalfield ch Wilts 1912;
1911 adds Coldbrook, Abergavenny, Mon WwinA 1926;
BIDLAKE, GEORGE. Architect. Waterloo Rd, Wolverhampton. Pupil of HE Kendall. Father of WH Bidlake 1861-1938. Bidlake & Lovatt Wolverhampton & Pontypool (B&L) in 1850s; w TH Fleeming in 1870s (B&F); AEBTD;
BIRCH, EUGENIUS, l8l8-84. Engineer, pier specialist, the most noted of pier designers, cf S Adamson, Seaside Piers, 1977, 72-3. Early career inv railway & bridge wks in UK & India; also Devon & Somerset Rlwy; Exmouth Docks; Ilfracombe Harbour; Scarborough Aquarium; Brighton Aquarium. Piers: l853 Margate; l862-3 Blackpool North; 1863-6 Brighton West; 1863-4 Deal; 1864-5 Lytham; 1866-72 Eastbourne; 1866-9 Scarborough; 1867 Weston s Mare Birnbeck; 1869-72 Hastings; 1878-80 Bournemouth; 1879 Hornsea; 1884 Plymouth;
l863-5 Aberystwyth Pier, Cd; original wk largely disappeared in later alts; orig 800’ long, 30’ wide; Adamson 101: contr JE Dowson, 100’; £12000 Kelly dir; 100’ washed away 1866, repairs 1872 JW Szlumper; pavilion & shore end adds 1895-6 by GC Marks erected by Bourne Eng & Electr Co, £8000; damaged 1938; pavilion burnt 1961; drawings exh HMT 4.2.63 similar to that at Deal; ?opened 1865
BIRCH, JOHN Architect, author of Cottage Architecture c1870 book of plans for houses. 1st prize Society of Arts comp 1864 for labourer’s cottage design.
c1870 Labourers cottages for Derwydd estate, Llandybie, Cms; corresp in possess TL;
1871 Labourers cottages on Dirleton estate, Llangadog, Cms; MS; ?same estate;
BIRCHAM, - Government surveyor.
1897 alts Cardigan workhouse, St Dogmaels, Pmbs; T CJ 15.10.97
BIRD, PETER. Architect, Wells. Partner in Caroe & Ptnrs qv. Cathedral architect St Davids from c1990.
1997-8 St Davids Cathedral new organ-case
1997-2001 St Davids, restoration Porth y Twr
1998-9 St Davids Cathedral, repairs to W front.
2001-6 St Davids Cathedral, rebuilding of cloisters- redesigned Martin Stancliffe scheme. Work began 2005, 2006 St Mary’s Hall converted to refectory, new treasury made in former song-school at SE corner, new song school in St Marys Hall undercroft. New N porch.
BIRKENHEAD, G. A. Cardiff
1906 Gladstone County Primary School, Barry, Glam; BoW; £17850;
BIRKETT, DANIEL. Carlisle. Brother of Rev GW Birkett, vicar of St Florence, Pmbs. 2nd pr Carlisle St John 1864; entr Penrith workhouse comp 1875; RHH.
1872-4 Park Rd Parochial School, Tenby, Pmbs; Plans HRO TSE/1; TO 15.8.72; contrs Wm Davies & Thos Morris; George Francis paid £5 for alts to plan W 22.8.73; Opened PH 31.7.74;