(1848-50 Swansea station, Glam; for SWR; twin overall roofs, ill BSW 2 157 & 216; opened June 1850; offices added on W 1877-8 and overallroofs changed to platform awnings 1924-6; new terminal block 1934; engine shed open 1850, ext 1854, replaced by Landore shed 1874 it became goods shed, part remains; branch to the coal-drops on the North Dock 1852 ext as the Swansea Harbour Rlwy to South Dock 1859
(1848-50 Neath viaduct, Glam; for SWR; timber; ill BSW 2 137; over R Neath & canal; replaced;
(1849 iron aqueduct carrying Clydach brook over VNR at Resolven, Glam; ill BSW 2 186; iron by Hennet & Co, Bridgewater, 1849;
(1850-1 Flying arches, Llansamlet, Glam, on SWR; four arches to retain cutting; BSW 2 141-2; Cambr 28.2.51;
(1852-3 Clunderwen Station, Pmbs, opened as Narberth Road 2.1.54; SWR; photo BSW 2 165; dem;
(1850ff Dock, Briton Ferry, Glam; BSW 2 77, 135 & 231; Company formed 1846; Act 1851, not complete, CMG 31.5.51; little progress until 1858. Briton Ferry Dock Co opened branch rlwy from SWR to wharf on R Neath, leased to Vale of Neath Rlwy.
(1851-2 Carmarthen Station, Cms; SWR; opened 17.9.52; ill w overall roof ILN but roof never blt?; BSW 2 161; dem;
(1852 White Bridge, Carmarthen, Cms; over Tywi for SWR; opening bridge drawing 4.10.52; replaced w steel bascule br 1908-11; BSW 2 162-3
(1852 St Clears Station Cms; SWR; w engine shed ill BSW 2 164; dem;
(1852-64 prop Carmarthen & Cardigan Rlwy from SWR at Carmarthen through Pencader & Newcastle Emlyn, Cms; BSW 2 227 234; authorised 1854; proposed port at Cardigan; contr Jays of London; begun from Carmarthen 1857, resid eng Mr Baxter; difficulties over money 1857-8; reached Conwil (Cynwyl Elfed) opened 3.9.60. Alltwalis Tunnel 985 yds near bankrupted company; C&C involved w Manchester & Milford over standard gauge line Pencader to Llanidloes; reached Llandysul 3.6.64; joined 1864 at Abergwili junction by branch from Llandeilo, Cms, on Llanelly Rlwy (standard gauge);
(1853 Merthyr High St Station, Glam for VNR, terminus w overallroof, ill BSW 2 202;
(1852-3 Haverfordwest Station, Pmbs; dem; SWR;
(1853-4 ?Shiloh WWM, Merthyr Tydfil, Glam; AT Edwards, Merthyr Rhondda & the Valleys, 1958, says des by IKB as Vale of Neath railway was demolishing old chapel; ill AJ 99; Romanesque; error, des is by Wilson & Fuller qv cf BSW 2 200-1 quoting CMG 30.4.53;
(1854 Bridge over R Cleddau, Haverfordwest, Pmbs on SWR line to Neyland; BSW 167-9; opening bridge;
(1854 Forest of Dean branch of SWR, Glos, on line of 1808-9 Bullo Pill tramway, 1826 Forest of Dean Rlwy, bought 1850, converted to broad gauge 1854; BSW 2 84;
(1854-6 Terminus SWR at Neyland, Pmbs, called New Milford; engine shed of 1850 from Chepstow (West) re-erected ; BSW 2 173; dem;
(1857 eng to Bristol & South Wales Union Rlwy, built after his death; BSW 2 72 86 n15; from Bristol to Severn ferry?
(1857-62 Ely Valley Rlwy, Glam; Llantrisant to Tonyrefail & Penygraig, w branches to Gellyrhaidd & Brofiskin; BSW 2 227, 236, incorp 13.6.57; John Pyne of Canford Dorset, land agent to Sir Ivor Guest, & Edward David of Radyr, land agent, engs; broad gauge, open 1860 to Tonyrefail, Penygraig 1862; ?no inv of IK Brunel;
(1857-63 South Wales Mineral Rlwy on tracks of Glyncorrwg Rlwy, tramroad of 1839-43 from Briton Ferry, Aberdulais, Tonna, Blaencregan, Glyncorrwg; incorporated 1853; branch Baglan to Fordecwyn. Had Ynysymaerdy Incline over Baglan Hill, followed R Pelenna to Tonmawr, through Gyfylchi tunnel to Afan valley to Cymmer, then the Corrwg valley to Glyncorrwg; BSW 2 227ff; opened 1861-3, completed by RP Brereton; ext to Briton Ferry Docks authorised 1861; line run by Glyncorrwg Coal Co.
(1858 Locomotive shed, Newtown, Cardiff, Glam for SWR; BSW 2 118; conv to standard gauge 1872, closed 1882 when new Canton depot opened;
(1858-61 Llynvi Valley Rlwy, Glam; authorised 1846 on line of Duffryn Lynvi & Porthcawl Rlwy of 1828 w connection to Bridgend by Bridgend Rlwy, acquired 1854. Broad gauge Bridgend to Nantffyllon northward, Porthcawl branch from Tondu southward, on old track. Opened for goods 10.8.61, passengers 25.2.64 to Maesteg, 1.8.65 to Porthcawl via Tydraw & Cornelly. Merged w standard gauge Ogmore Valley Rlwy 1866 as Llynvi & Ogmore Rlwy; GWR 1873. BSW 2 219ff, Captain McNair res engineer 1858
BRUNTON, JOHN Engineer. ?John & William Brunton father & son
(1832 Two bridges on Claypon’s Tramroad, Ynyscedwyn, Ystradgynlais, Brec, now Glam; BoW Powis 388; BoW Glam 571 Claypon’s Tramroad Extension 1832-4 by J&WB from Ystradgynlais to Onllwyn to take limestone to Ynysgedwyn Ironworks; mentions engine house and two bridges.
BRUNTON, WILLIAM Sr Engineer. 1777-1851. BSW 2 26-7. See John Brunton. WB proposed a Bath-Bristol Rlwy 1830 and a London-Bristol one 1832 w Henry Habberely Price (1794-1839) qv.
(c1828 Incline to Ynysmeudwy Canal Docks and Tramroad, Glam, brought coal from Cwm Nant Lwyd colliery to Swansea Canal for Ynysgedwyn Ironworks, for George Crane; BoW 647; also Nant Llwyd Causeway, Cilybebyll, BoW.
(1831 entr comp for floating harbour Swansea; BSW 2 214;
1832-4 consulted over Loughor Bridge, Glam; ?plans used; CJ 17.2.32; cf also Beeck;
(1833 eng to unex Cambrian, London & Gloucester Railroad; BSW 2 26; Cambr 7.9.33; but later William Woodesdon appears as engineer;
BRUTON & WILLIAMS see E. H. Bruton
BRUTON, EDWARD HENRY Cardiff. Architect, born 1854 articled Edward G Bruton of Oxford (father?) In practice from 1881 (WWinA 1926) with Edward Jenkin Williams qv as B&W. DF Ingleton qv of Haverfordwest was articled to Bruton & Foster of Cardiff WWinA 1926; EG Bruton took over HJ Underwood practice in Oxford in 1852.
1886-90 Tredegarville U, West Grove, Cardiff, Glam; Br 1186A 387; BoW 304 des 1886 built 1890; 1st pr 1886 RHH; WWinA 1926;
1888 Workmens Inst, Penrhiwceiber Rd, Mountain Ash, Glam; BoW 454; enl 1900 by Morgan & Elford)
1888 1st pr Bute Dock Offices, Cardiff, Glam; RHH)
1892 House at Caerphilly, Glam; B&W; T Br 30.7.92; also House for Mrs weeks Caerphilly T Br 31.12.92 B&W;
1892 Cemetery chapel, Merthyr Dyfan, Glam T Br 30.7.92; Barry Cemetery WWinA 1926;
1893 rest Cowbridge Ch, Glam; Orrin 48; £800; Hatherley & Carr Bristol contrs; CGG 27.10.93; rest of tower, removal of W gallery, new organ by Nicholson, new pulpit, NLW LL/F/255; B&W;
1893 rest Pendoylan ch, Glam; Orrin 126; T Br 30.7.92; Br 15.7.93; B&W; tower reblt, new pulpit, tower screen; £800; JR Haines Cardiff contr; WM 15.6.93; BoW;
1893 Pontycymmer ch, Glam; Orrin 141; dem 1979; T for St Theodore Welsh chapel Br 30.7.92; WM 13.2.93 & 5.9.93; £2500; Hatherley & Carr Bristol contrs; Br 9.9.93; chancel and S aisle not built orig estimate £3250;
WwinA 1926 lists competition victories Cardiff Institute for the Blind; Cemetery chapel Merthyr Dovan, Barry; Cory Bros & Co offices, Cardiff; Blaengarw church; also offices Bute St for Cory Bros & Co; UM chapel Penarth Rd, Cardiff; U chapel West Grove, Cardiff; churches in Garw valley inc Blaengarw and Pontyrhil and other churches in Glamorgan and Wilts & Dorset Bank, Newport Rd, Cardiff; also works at Senghenydd in Gwern y Milwr Hotel, B chapel, WM chapel; CM chapel; restoration Hensol Castle; Redbrook, Caerphilly, Mon;
BRYANT, IVOR Council Surveyor, Aberdare.
1938 Clinic now council offs, Aberdare, Glam; BoW;
BRYCE, Lt Col ALEX, RE.
1817 Plan and section of proposed battery at Chapel Point, Pmbs; PRO MPH 734;
? The Sir A. Bryce referred to in 1830, PRO MPH 485 (2), ‘plan showing land (at Pembroke Dock) surrendered by Ordnance, accompanying Sir A. Bryce letter’.
BRYCE, DAVID 131 George St Edinburgh. Architect, former partner of William Burn to 1861, then on his own. Major country house architect.
1867 Unex plans for adds to Castle Malgwyn, Cilgerran, Pmbs, for Mrs Eliz. Gower. NLW Nanteos Cilgerran 1. Add of dormers to front and a drawing room with an Italianate tower and conservatory to left end proposed. (ill in Castell Malgwyn, 2000 guide book labelled as of 1866 by Ambrose Poynter, incorrect). Plans are dated 19.1.67 from 131 George St.
BUCK, GEORGE WATSON Civil Engineer, Severn St, Welshpool, Mont, Pigot 1828-9 dir;
BUCKERIDGE, CHARLES Architect. l832-73). Oxford. cf A. Saint in Oxoniensa 1973 357-71 (AS). In office of G.G. Scott c1854. ARIBA 1861. Commenced 1856 in Oxford. Work in Wales largely through Rev Gilbert Harries, Llanunwas, Solva, who was vicar at Llandefaelog Fach, Brec. then Gelligaer, Glam., and commissioned work in those areas. Died aged 40 1.9.1873 and most of his commissions taken over by JL Pearson (JLP) or finished by Matthew Holding, chief assistant to CB. His son Charles Edgar Buckeridge 1864-98 was painter, trained as stained glass designer w Burlison & Grylls, did murals for several churches employed esp by Bodley, died young. Another son John Hingeston Buckeridge 1857-1934 worked for Ernest Turner, London, emigrated Queensland 1886, Sydney 1892, important practice there.
1857 Llandefaelog Fach Rectory, Brec; plans NLW SD/Bounty/?; AS; for Rev Gilbert Harries; Eccl 1857 131;
(1858? Kilconner Ho, Co Carlow, Ireland; BN 11.3.59)
1858-9 Llandefaelog Fach Schools, Brec; BN 11.3.59; much altered;)
1858-9 Maesmynys Parsonage, Brec; BN 11.3.59; plans NLW SD/Bounty/135, CB 86 High St, Oxford, triple gabled w half-hipped centre one over porch, attached stable;)
1869 rest Llandough ch, Glam; Orrin 76-7; £862; CGG 31.12.69; BN 14.1.70; S wall of chancel reblt; AC 1901 258; BoW; AS;
l870-9 rest St Martin ch, Caerphilly, Glam; exec JLP; BoW says des 1873, exec 1877-9; design 1870 exec 1874-9, Orrin 27; ICBS; AS and BoW say des 1873 exec JLP from 1879; altar pulpit and altar-desks by Wm John of St Fagans; Wall & Hook of Brinscombe Glos contrs; £5500; consec WM 18.12.79; extended W 1904-5, and tower 1907-10 all by GE Halliday)
l870ff Capel y Ffin monastery, Brec; for Father Ignatius; cloister begun 1870 on W side, church begun 1872 with 3 bays of chancel, completed JLP 1882 and no more built; BoW; AS; church collapsed; Br 1872 710; Eccl Art Review 1878 148; Peter Anson, The Call of the Cloister; 1870 MS;
1870 rest Llanvetherine ch, Mon; Br 10.12.70; wagon roof rest, new 3-lt on nave N, windows rest, new shaft and bowl to font; BoW;
1870 ?rest Llanspyddid ch, Brec; BoW; but rest 1879-80, acc to Kelly;
1871 plan rebuild Eglwysilan ch, Glam; Orrin 55; ICBS; BoW chancel reblt and nave rest to plans by CB 1873-5;
l872-4 rest Whitchurch Ch, Solva, Pmbs; AS planned 1870, ICBS 7459; exec by CB 1872-3 completed by M. Holding and JLP; ICBS;
1873-9 rest Pembroke St Mary ch; meeting 1873, plans made; JLP took over W 23.1.74, and work done 1876-79; AS; CB 1879 187;
1873-5 rest Eglwysilan ch, Glam; Orrin 55; plan for complete rebuild 1871 at ICBS; chancel rebuilt nave rest; £1040; tower rest 1888 £446 no archt named; not among wks completed by JLP; AS says designs 1871 exec 1873-5 by M. Holding with W.P. James;
1873 plans rest Caerphilly ch, Glam, exec by JLP after 1879; AS; ICBS; BoW; but see 1870 above
1873-9 Pontnewynydd ch, Mon; completed JLP; ICBS; BoW blt 1873-4 and 1876-9; disused; AS plans half-carried out 1873-4, then lawsuit w builders, completed by JLP 1876-9; ICBS; MM 26.9.73)
1906-9 Elan Village, Brec; for Birmingham Corporation reservoirs; BoW;
BUCKLER, CHARLES ALBAN 1824-1905 Architect. Son of J.C. Buckler 1793-1894, worked with his father qv.
l874 Stradey Castle, nr Llanelli, Cms, adds for C. Mansel-Lewis; J.C. Buckler was a friend of Mansel-Lewis and may have done designs, but in correspondence says that he is too old and recommends his son. Not known if either was employed. Bills suggest new stair already there, but lantern over stair hall, new tower and internal alts all done at this time. The only name so far is Waller & Co, London, the contractors. TL from Mansel-Lewis papers in CRO.
BUCKLER, JOHN 1770-1851. Bailiff to Magdalen College Oxford c1789-1849, topographical artist, occasional architect. Father of John Chessell Buckler 1793-1894. Colvin. Occasional architect, designed memorials. Tower Theale ch 1827-8; Glastonbury Abbey House 1829-30; gave up practice c1830
1824-7 Halkin Castle, Flints; for 2nd Earl Grosvenor; RA 1827; BoW Halkyn Castle.
1826-9 Pool Park, Denbs; for 2nd Lord Bagot; RA 1830; early use of half-timber; Benjamin Gummow may have supervised, also a Mr Ward to whom the 15 yr old John Jones ‘Talhaiarn’ qv was apprenticed 1825; BoW 263; derelict 2008)
1843 Pentrobin church, Flints; BoW; for Sir S Glynne of Hawarden; not in Colvin, ?by JCB;
Attrib: Rhyd y Cilgwyn, Llanynys, Denbs, for Lord Bagot, early C19, BoW 247; two gateways Hawarden Castle, Flints, early C19, BoW 364, 369; Pentrobin Parsonage Flints 1846 BoW 417.
BUCKLER, JOHN CHESSELL. Architect l793-l894, son of John Buckler q.v. with whom he worked until JB retired c1830. Costessy Hall Norfolk 1826; 2nd pr Houses of Parliament 1835; Designed Butleigh Ct, Som, 1845; library Magdalen College Oxford, 1849-51; adds Jesus College Oxford 1854-6, restored Lincoln Cathedral. Son Charles Alban Buckler l824-l905 designed RC church Stroud 1858; RC priory Hampstead 1874, Arundel Castle 1890-1903.
l874 Stradey Castle, nr Llanelli, adds for C. Mansel-Lewis; J.C. Buckler was a friend of Mansel-Lewis and may have done designs, but in correspondence says that he is too old and recommends his son. Not known if either was employed. Bills suggest new stair already there, but lantern over stair hall, new tower and internal alts all done at this time. The only name so far known is of Waller & Co of London, the contractors. Mansel-Lewis papers CRO.
BUCKNALL & JENNINGS see Alfred Bucknall
BUCKNALL, ALFRED Sketty, Swansea. Brother of Benjamin Bucknall qv and Robert Bucknall. In 1878 an A & W Bucknall of Swansea and Bournemouth designed schools at Pontarddulais; With Edward William Jennings in 1880s B&J
l87l-3 Llanelli EP chapel, Cowell St, Llanelli CJ l8.8.7l; W 4.4.73 by ‘Mr Bucknall of Swansea’ probably Alfred
1873 St Helens Rd CM chapel, Swansea Br 1873 814; now Argyle Presb; BoW585; Temple style with recessed composite portico)
1878 School, Pontarddulais, Glam, by A&W Bucknall of Swansea and Bournemouth illustrated Br 7.6.78;
1885-6 Alts St Matthew ch, High St, Swansea; BoW 585; Orrin 177; B&J; orig ch 1823-5 by William Jernegan; intended as Welsh ch; Renaissance style; ICBS disliked it; £3000; contr William Morgan Swansea; Cambr 23.7.86;)
BUCKNALL, BENJAMIN of Gloucester l833-95. Translator of Viollet le Duc, designed Woodchester Park, nr Stroud, key High Victorian Gothic mansion. He had two brothers as architect-builders in Swansea, Alfred and Robert, and himself had office there, ?moved there. While in Swansea had brief partnership with a Mr Donnelly of Birmingham, but only a RC church in Warw resulted. l877-8 emigrated to Algiers but wife and daughter remained in Swansea. Inf Stephen Bucknall pamphlet. c1858ff Woodchester Park, Glos; 1861 Taunton RC;
l858-60 Abergavenny RC ch, Mon; BN 1858 96; Br 19.4.60; BoW, for John Baker Gabb;
l864 ext St David RC ch, Swansea; by C.F.Hansom 1847; nave lengthened poss to CFH design; timber dormers added; Presbytery by BB;
l868 Seamens Church, Quayside, Swansea; BoW;
l869-78 Holy Trinity ch, Alltyferin, Pontargothi, Cms. Church designed for Bath family of Alltyferin begun 1869 but not completed until after a death in 1878; wall paintings by Stansell of Taunton;
c1870 Glynycoed, Newton Rd, Oystermouth, Glam; BoW486; ?possibly the large house in W suburbs of Swansea designed by B & A Bucknall;
1871 new front with tower, Monmouth RC, Mon; BoW 398; Kissack 2003; £530, £39 fee to BB;
18?? Work at Dirleton, Llangadog, Cms; inf TL from papers of AJ Gulston sold at Derwydd sale; Dem;
BUCKNALL, ROBERT. Third of Bucknall brothers cf Alfred and Benjamin. Practiced in Swansea.
BUCKNALL, WILLIAM. West Norwood, London. 1852-1944. Nephew of Benjamin Bucknall; partner of JN Comper, his bro-in-law, 1888-1904. 1910 St Alphege House, Pocock St, Southwark, for Anglican convent. A and W Bucknall of Swansea and Bournemouth are given as architects for school at Pontarddulais, Glam ill in Br 7.6.1878
1907 St John Mission Home, Stow Hill, Newport, Mon, w HJ Griggs; Br 7.12.07; BoW 429 now Clewer Court; blt as a mission house from House of Mercy, Clewer, Berks, as part of complex around St John’s ch)
1910-16 des stained glass E w of Milford ch, Pmbs; PCG 7.4.16
BUDGEN, HENRY. FRIBA Cardiff. Henry Budgen & Co 95 St Mary St Kelly 1926. Joined Jones, Richards & Budgen qv, continued on own. WWinW 1920: b Egham, ed The Leys Cambridge, lived at Heolgerrig, Abergavenny, FRIBA 1900; WWinA 1926;
1902-3 adds Cory Bldng, James St, Cardiff, for Midland Bank; BoW269-70)
1907 Albert Rd WM, Penarth, Glam; HB; Gothic tower BoW492)
1907-10 Cambrian Bldngs, Mount Stuart Sq, Cardiff BoW270)
1910 Barry Dock WM, WCC10, 260, £4000 Lloyd & Tape Barry Dock bldrs In centre of town. Free Gothic. Same as WM Holton Rd, Barry Docks. Barry Dock News 7.4.11 HB;
1875 Girls Endowed School, Dolgellau, Mer; Br 3.12.75 Presumably the first buildings dated 1876 of Dr Williams School, Barmouth Rd)
BUNNEY, MICHAEL FRANK WHARTON. Architect 1873-1926 son of JW Bunney water colourist. Chief assistant to Horace Field c1900, in practice 1902. From 1905 w CC Makins. Designed small houses esp in Hampstead Garden Suburb (ASG). Consulted by 1st Lord Aberconway of Bodnant over planning of Prestatyn, Flints, BoW 418.WWinA 1926 Michael Bunney MBE FRIBA domestic work in London Home counties and N Wales, beach pavilion Prestatyn and town planning Prestatyn, Flints;