BUNNING, JOHN BUNSTONE. London. 1802-63 Architect to City of London 1843-63; Nunhead Cemetery 1844; Coal Exchange 1847-9; Holloway Prison 1849-52; Caledonian Market 1855.
1842-3 William Jones Almshouses, Monmouth, Mon; BoW 403; Kissack 2003 67, built for Haberdashers’ Co, adds by Wm Burn 1895-6, imposs; new almshouses 1961;
BURGES, ALFRED see Walker, Burges & Cooper
BURGES, WILLIAM 1827-81. Architect. London. Biography JMC; Son of Alfred Burges, civil engineer, cf Walker, Burges & Cooper. 1851 w Henry Clutton as assistant tnen partner: assist on Clutton’s Domestic Architecture of France 1853, worked for him at Salisbury Cathedral 1854-6, Dunstall ch 1851-3, Hatherop ch 1853-5; Ruthin Castle 1851-6 and Breamore House Hants 1855-6. Full partners for Lille Cathedral comp won 1855; ended partnership 1856. 1865 won comp for Cork Cathedral; For 3rd M of Bute also did 1871-2 unex prop for rest of Rothesay Castle; 1878-80 Cumnock ch, Ayrshire; R.P. Pullan, The Architectural Designs of Wm Burges RA, 1883;
(1851-6 involved in H Clutton’s rest Ruthin Castle, Denbs, for Hon Frederick R West; interiors, possibly des hall chimneypiece; BoW 273; JMC295:‘as early as 1851-6 he had des furniture and fittings made up by W. Caldecott for Ruthin Castle’. JMC 406 n 24: ‘furniture for Caldecott for Ruthven Castle’ RIBA, SNB, 20 1856 35, 43-5 (abstract 1852); ‘drew & finished Caldecott’s furniture for Ruthven’ (abst 1853); ‘lamps for Ruthven Castle’ (abs 1855) ‘sideboard for Caldecott’ (abs 1856). Sideboard may be the one carved by Phyffers and exh at 1862 Exhibition. He may have been involved w the billiard-room chimneypiece exh 1851 as by Clutton exec by Wynne & Lumsden (but cf BoW).
(1866-1900 Cardiff Castle, Glam reblt for 3rd Marquess of Bute. Burges met Bute 1865, began preparing plans before Bute came of age in 1868, work continued after Burges died 1881 and after 3rd Marquess died 1900, first under William Frame + 1905, then under H. Sesom-Hiley to 1921, then JPD Grant; Cardiff City Council colln of hundreds of drawings. Work continued after 1881 by William Frame. Arab Room completed 1882 by Burges brother in law R.P. Pullan; JMC; VCH 125-30;
(1866-73 Cardiff Castle Clock Tower: suggested 1866, begun after Marquess came of age 1868; P&P10 ill des 1868; FS Clock Tower 12.3.69, complete 1873, exh RA 1870; Winter Smoking Room, Axel Haig view exh RA 1870, dated 1872, des for marquetry panels dated 1872, des for doors 17.6.72, sketches for mural dec daed 14.3.74; Bachelor Bedroom above, Summer Smoking Room at top 1871-3, corbel ill Arch 14.9.72; tulip vases 1874; tiles 1874; section showing summer smoking rm decs ill Marble Halls 28, undated drawing repr Arch 1.4.1882;
(1868 Cardiff Castle, des alts to existing chapel; JMC 268;
(c1868-1876 Cardiff Castle, Oratory in room where 2nd Marquess died; proposed late 1860s, 1873 still a skeleton, 1874 rib vaults, 1875 windows by NHJ Westlake; bronze door 1876; JMC 268;
(1872 Cardiff Castle, top of Beauchamp Tower des 1872, exec 1877-9; Chaucer Room, 1877-9 decorated 1879-81, painting by Campbell & Smith, glass by Worrall 1880-5, panelling 1884
(1873-6 Cardiff Castle, Bute Tower; FS 24.4.73; Small Dining Room planned 1872, dec by Campbell, Smith & Co; windows c1873 by Lonsdale and Saunders; furniture 1890 by W Frame. Lord Bute’s Sitting Room: fireplace 1874; Lord Bute’s bedroom: fireplace 1874-6, figure by Ceccardo E. Fucigna; stained glass Lavers & Barraud; roof garden 1873-6 with tile decs by HL Lonsdale ill P&P11, fountain 1875-9, Madonna 1876-8, flower boxes 1877;
(1873-81 Cardiff Castle, Library; bookcases; stained glass Lonsdale & Worrall; bookcase marquetry des Lonsdale carving by Nicholl; design for seat WB 1880;
(1874 Cardiff Castle, unex des for staircase hall; RA 1874; Marble Halls 29 & front cover; JMC; A 23.5.74; Br 16.6.74; Arch 4.7.74; Arch 1.4.82;
(1875 Cardiff Castle, Banqueting Hall; des for fireplace wall 23.2.77; sideboard des 1874 exec 1878-9; painting des by Lonsdale May 1875, complete 1881, wood carving complete 1893; stained glassd by Lonsdale c1873;
(18?? Cardiff Castle, Guests Tower
(18?? Cardiff Castle, Herbert Tower: The Study 1880-1; The Arab Room 1880-1 fireplace dated 1881
(18?? Cardiff Castle, S curtain wall up to Black Tower heightened by WB;
(1875 Rustic bridge, Cardiff Castle, dem 1930s; NM catalogue 1981 A 82; estimate 1875 £1108;
(1868-9 Stables, Cardiff Castle, N & E sides P&P23; JMC 267-8; BN 18 1870 387; Arch 1874 150-1; NMW catalogue A81 says design 1868-9 exec 187-5 much plainer.
(1870 Convent chapel, Cardiff, for Lord Bute conv from barn; JMC 283-4 & 403 n 50: Convent of sisters of Good Shepherd, Ty Gwyn Rd, Cardiff, dem c1967; baldacchino partly Lord Bute’s own design;
(1871-4 House, Park Place, Cardiff, for John McConnochie, chief engineer of Bute Docks; JMC 305-6; RA 1872; blt 1872-4; drawing room decs 1880 JMC 409 n 14; BN 22 1872 401; Br 1872 358; illustrated by Viollet le Duc in Habitations Modernes, 1875; P&P22 Axel Haig undated watercolour from RIBA; BoW)
(1874 S & W sides, Stables, Cardiff Castle, drawings P&P23 from RIBA. First part N and E sides 1868-9 built as shown on drawing no 5, S and W sides 1874-5 quite different from drawing No 3; Bldr Albert Estcourt, Gloucester;
(c1875 ?Cottage at Maindy, by river Taff, Cardiff; attr BoW 287;
(1875-91 Castell Coch, Tongwynlais, Glam, for 3rd Marquess of Bute. Initial report 1871-2, work began August 1875, constr complete end of 1879; interior completed under William Frame and J. S. Chapple 1891; section c1877 ill P&P13 from RIBA; JMC 279ff. Banqueting Hall estimate 1878 Campbell & Smith exec HW Lonsdale; Drawing-room des 1879 exec 1886-7 under WF; Lord Bute’s bedroom 1888; Lady Bute’s bedroom completed 1891 on basis of drawings by WB, furniture by Chapple; Kitchen furniture by Chapple; JMC 403 n21: Albert Estcourt Gloucester, contr; JT Wright clerk of works; Wm Blight master mason
BURGESS PARTNERSHIP, Cardiff. Founded by Haydn Mervyn Rhys Burgess in Pontypridd, HMR Burgess & Partners (HMRB&P), or Burgess & Partners (B&P) then BP. Also office at Newtown called B3Burgess see below
l9l0 Public Hall & business prems, Llanelli, Cms; unex; ill Arch l8.2.l0;
BURN, WILLIAM. 131 George St, Edinburgh and London. (1789-1870) Leading Scots country house architect, with commissions all over Britain (Colvin 159-68). David Bryce partner to 1861 continued at George St, and his wife’s nephew John Macvicar Anderson qv was pupil and took over in 1870. cf www.scottisharchitects
1832 Design for unidentified Scots Baronial house (NLW PA 8108-9) included with plans by E. Haycock for Alltlwyd, Llanon, Cd, built for John Hughes 1832-3, possibly therefore for Alltlwyd. Hughes had Edinburgh connections through Col ATJ Gwynne of Monachty.
(c1852ff estate buildings, Kinmel Park, St George, Denbs, for H R Hughes who succeded 1852. BoW 282 attribs the Baroque stables 1852-4 to Burn but no evidence; Colvin: Bangor UL Hughes papers relate to a lodge 1858, gamekeeper’s house 1862, agent’s house 1865)
(1861 Wynaston Leys, Dixton, Mon; Kissack 16; not in Colvin or BoW; Wyastone Leys for JM Bannerman, Kissack 2003;
BURNELL (E.H.) & LEGG (H.S.)
(1879 adds Maesllwch Castle, Glasbury, Rad BoW)
BURNELL, J.E. Llanelli. Architect, surveyor.
1898 Ammanford, a shop. T: LCG 9.6.98
1909 Three houses and 31 plots nr Brynforest Inn, Trimsaran, Cms apply JEB surveyor. LCG 11.2.09
1910 One hundred workmen’s houses, New Dynant Colliery, Cwm Mawr, Pontyberem, Cms C Arch 11.11.10
BURNET (Sir JOHN) & PARTNERS
(1969-70 Pearl Assurance, Greyfriars Rd, Cardiff; BoW; 25 storeys;
BURNETT, E. WESTFIELD. Architect Tondu; in WWinA 1926 at Toft Butt House, Llanerch Rd, Colwyn Bay;
BURNETT, FREDERICK WARDLESS Architect Penarth MC ARIBA; WwinA 1926;
BURRELL, GEORGE. Engineer, nephew of lighthouse-bldr Joseph Nelson qv; later worked for Walker & Burges qv.
1832 worked w Nelson on Nash Point, Marcross, Glam;
1838-9 res eng South Bishop light, St Davids, Pmbs; James Walker;
BURTON, DECIMUS Architect London 1800-81; Colvin; worked for John Nash; Colosseum 1823-7; Hyde Park Screen 1824-5; Buildings at London Zoo 1826-41; archway Constitution Hill 1827-8; Tunbridge Wells ch 1827-9 and Calverley estate 1828; Athenaeum Club 1827-30; Charing Cross Hospital 1831-4; Fleetwood new town 1836-43 and ch 1840; alts British Embassy Paris 1841-50; Palm House etc Kew Gardens 1845-8; Temperate House Kew 1859-62.
BURY, THOMAS TALBOT, 50 Welbeck St, London. l8ll-77. Pupil of Pugin, worked with him on Houses of Parliament. Wrote ‘Remains of ecclesiastical woodwork' 1847 and ‘History and description of the styles of architecture from the earliest times' 1849. With Charles Lee 1845-9, competitor for Carlton Club 1844 L&B; for Weymouth Cemetery 1855 (RHH). Said to have designed 35 churches and chapels: Chipperfield, Herts 1839; Clapham Park London; Battersea Park Rd London 1849 (dem); Kingsdown ch, Sevenoaks, Kent 1850; Dover St James 1859-62 dem; Burgess Hill, Sussex, 1861-3; Weymouth; Stamford Hill, London (B.Clarke 252). In Berks BoE: Woodland St Mary 1851, Braywood 1866 (dem), rest. Lambourn and almshouses 1852, Welford 1852-5, New Lodge Winkfield 1858. Oxon: Upper Heyford rest 1865; Surrey East Molesey 1864-7. London : Finchley Rd 1856; AEBTD 1868.
1853-4 Trecynon Ch, Aberdare, Glam; reblt by TTB after fire 1856; BoW 133; AEBTD; St Fagan ch, Aberdare, Orrin 5; ICBS; blt for Hon RH Clive of St Fagans; Br 20.11.52, Dyffryn stone and Bath £1800; rebuild after 1856 fire £5000;
1856 reblt Trecynon ch, Glam, after fire; Orrin 5; see 1853-4;
185? House and parsonage, Aberdare, Glam; AEBTD; ? at Trecynon)
l859 Falcondale House, Lampeter, Cd, for J. Harford; enlargement of early C19 villa; T: W 5.8.59; AEBTD; A. Harford, Annals of the Harford Family, 148;
l865-7 ?National School, West End, Llanelli, Cms; dem; Opened CJ 14.6.67, no archt; but plans for Llanelli Schools nd by RK Penson in CRO CAS Scrapbook.
1869-70 Brynygarn, St Davids, Pmbs, for Rev A.J.M. Green; TTB named in advert of c1870-1 (TL) by builder, Peter James, with citation dated 25.11.70 from TTB; Now Warpool Court hotel, much altered.
BUSBY, CHARLES AUGUSTUS 1788-1834 Pupil of D. Alexander, published book of designs for villa 1808, bankrupt 1814 went to America, returned c1820 and worked for Francis Goodwin. 2nd pr 1820 Millbank Penitentiary. Established in Brighton from early 1820s, designed much there (Colvin). Exh catalogue by Neil Bingham 1991 for RIBA
1814 unex scheme for Gwrych Castle, Denbs; Colvin; exh RA 1814; drawings in NLW; BoW; Colvin says house des by LB Hesketh for himself ears little resemblance to Busby design)
BUSH, GEORGE Engineer, 1801-41; worked for IK Brunel on Taff Vale Railway, previously on Llanelly Rlwy and with Alexander Nimmo +1832; died young. BSW 2 19 & 155;
1834-7 Engineer Aberystwyth water supply, Cd; CJ 18.5.35; T for reservoir W 3.3.37;
1834ff New pier Aberystwyth Harbour, Cd; BPR 79 ill Bush plan; Alexander Nimmo plans originally CJ 24.6.34, but Bush took over; CJ 18.5.35, 16.10.35, 6.11.35, for Duke of Newcastle; £17,394 estimate; Act of 1836 to borrow money; financial difficulties, BPR 80, 1839 meeting to consider plans of GB, CJ 14.6.39;
1835 Engineer for Llanelly Dock & Railway Co, Cms, railway complete to Llangennech CTA 1835; cf also Charles Fowler; Ts for Llanelly Dock 1841, BSW 2 19; BSW 2 155 one of first locomotive railways in Wales, 1839; railway from New Dock (Great Western Dock) Llanelli (opened 1828) to Llandeilo served coal areas Cwmamman & Llandybie;
1836-41 resid eng Taff Vale Rlwy, Glam; (IK Brunel); opened 21.4.41; BSW 2 15ff;
1836 inv w surveys for Gloucester & S Wales Rlwy for Brunel; BSW 2 57-8; unex;
1840 inv w Swansea Vale Rlwy proposed by Starling Benson; BSW 2 214, 217; unex; railway Co formed 1845 and operated horse-drawn before opening, Swansea to Graigola collieries, Dec 1852;
1841 inv w prop Brecon & Merthyr Rlwy, BSW 2 19;
BUTCHER, CHARLES later C&G Butcher (C&GB). Worked for Capt T Wood of Gwernyfed.
1876 Pair of estate cottages, Three Cocks, Brec; MS;
1878 Pair of estate cottages and smith’s shop nr hotel, Three Cocks, Brec; MS;
1883 Keepers Cottage for T Wood, Gwernyfed, Three Cocks, Brec; MS; C&GB; at Glasbury T: BN 22.6.83;
1884 Pair of cottages for Capt Wood, Gwernyfed, Three Cocks, Brec; MS; C&GB
1885 Cottage, Hay on Wye WM, Brec; MS; C&GB;
1888 Gardeners cottage, Llydyddway (?), Brec; C&GB; MS; for CJ Lilwall;
1891 Cottage with outbuildings, Three Cocks, Brec; CB;
1892 Cottage and buildings nr station, Three Cocks, Brec; CB; MS;
1903 Two cottages, Three Cocks, Brec; CB; MS;
1905 Pair of cottages, Three Cocks, Brec; CB; MS;
(1829 Isycoed ch, Denbs; BoW;)
BUTTERFIELD, WILLIAM, London. l8l4-l900. Leading Victorian architect, in practice from 1840. cf William Butterfield, by Paul Thompson. RIBA Gold Medal 1884. 1842 Highbury Chapel, Bristol; 1844-6 Coalpit Heath Ch & vicarage Glos; 1849 All saints ch, Margaret St, London.
l846-7 works St Davids Cathedral, Pmbs; PT 44l; New N tr N window in opening formerly blocked, two Dec aisle ws copied from an original, restoration of pulpitum, opening of upper part of W tower arch, intended to put iron gate in pulpitum and encaustic tiles in front. New oak cornice to pulpitum; AC 1847 80-1; James Stone of Narberth qv contractor acc to Cliffe’s Guide to S Wales 1847;
l849 W front and porch, Llangorwen Ch, Cd; PT 442
1850 E window Northop ch, Flints; BoW;
l862 Unex rest Llanbadarn Fawr ch, Cd; PT 446; Butterfield appointed 1862 but resigned 1867 rather than continue working with Canon E. Phillips for whom he designed St Mary Aberystwyth 1863-6. Restoration 1867ff was by JP Seddon; JHSCIW 10 1960 52-4;
BYRES, JAMES Architect 1734-1817 Scottish family, brought up in France, resident in Rome, made grandiose compositions for grand tourists mostly unex. Colvin.
1770 des for Wynnstay, Denbs, NLW Williams Wynn, collection orig of 58 drawings, the most elaborate ever proposed for a Welsh country house; TL; NLW Pensaerniaeth Cymru 1998 54; CL 23.3.1972;
CAERNARVONSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. John Lloyd +1867 called surveyor to the county 1846 and 1854; John Thomas county surveyor in 1862, +1886, in 1884 appointed son Robert J Thomas as his deputy (BN 24.10.84 & 17.9.86). Robert J. Thomas county surveyor c1886-90; Evan Evans County surveyor 1890 as RJT gone to Buckinghamshire; Rowland Lloyd Jones qv County Architect + 1925; T Owen County Surveyor c1928-30; Westbury Lloyd Jones qv County Architect 1931-58;
CALDER, J. London
1887 David Jones & Co Bank, Bank Terrace, Llandeilo, Cms; TL;
CALDWELL, J. L.
(1961 School hall, Monmouth School, Mon; PH; BoW)
CALVERT JOHN Contractor from Yorkshire, sank Newbridge colliery 1840s, set up coke ovens, sold to GWR 1854;
CALVERT, JOHN. Swansea. Fl 1779-84, Died between 1794 and 1798. Builder, architect, worked for A Keck qv. In HJ 7.12.75 Calvert advert for 20 house joiners to work in counties of Glam, Cms, Pmbs & Cd. Cms work could be Iscoed or Uplands; Pmbs prob Slebech, Cd prob Highmead. TL attributes Uplands, Llandyfaelog, Cms, on basis of similarity to Highmead, and has the frieze motif of paterae and fluting found at Iscoed and Plas Llansteffan, Cms. Suggested link with Anthony Keck may mean that Keck des Slebech. Iscoed at Ferryside may be Keck, built by Calvert. Colvin says + c1795, in Swansea repaired parish ch; paved the market pl; blt theatre c1785; his name survives in Calvert St. 1777 Highmead, Llanwenog, Cd, for Herbert Evans; NLW Highmead II; not in Colvin;.
1779 Slebech Hall, Pmbs, for J Symmons; Colvin cites lawsuit in 1779 which John Calvert, builder, won against Symmons, but he may not have been designer; NLW PE 5129/1 and 16 attrib unsigned des for chimneypiece and cornice for Music Room.
1782 alts Golden Grove, Cms, for John Vaughan; Cymm 1966 I 201;
Drawings for friezes etc by Calvert are in the Shoppee album owned by Sir Albert Richardson, and album also has drawings for a house for Mrs Williams at Cadoxton juxta Neath, Glam, but not certain drawings are by Calvert. Volume inc des for Castellau, Glam, cf RCAHMW Glamorgan 4 318-23. He also advertised patent slating in HJ 1784 and proposed tunnel under Severn.
CAMPBELL, COLEN. TL suggestion of involvement at Stackpole court, Pembs, not accepted by John Harris;
CAMPBELL, ROBIN Special projects officer Swansea Council inv w Ferrara Quay dev 1985-8 (by Halliday Meecham). Des Tower of the Ecliptic observatory, Marine Walk, 1989; BoW;
CANE, PERCY. Work at Llanerch Hall, Trefnant, Denbs c1928 inc terraces with canal, arcades and a loggia; BoW.
1914 Plans for workmens’ houses, Tenby, Pmbs, £135 each, rejected;
19?? Brynmawr Post Office, Mon; plans Gwent RO A430/A/C/34
CARDIGANSHIRE COUNTY. John Hughes Bridge Surveyor 1837 till +1848; John Morris Bridge Surveyor Cd S, Cards QS 1839, 1849; ?Thomas Penson Jr Bridge Surveyor in 1840s; RK Penson Bridge Surveyor l852-63; JW Szlumper Bridge Surveyor 1863 then County Surveyor 1864-87; David Davies of Penrhiwllan County Surveyor Cd S l89l-l9l9; Roderick Lloyd (l85l-l906) County Surveyor Cd N l89l-l906; Rhys Jones +1950 County Surveyor 1930s; John Davies (1878-1959) County Surveyor S l9l9-39 then County Surveyor l939-48; GR Bruce County Architect 1949-74, then County Architect Dyfed.
CARDIFF TOWN. George Clinton Town Surveyor Pigot 1844 dir.
CARDIFF CITY COUNCIL ARCHITECTS DEPARTMENT. City Architect John Dryburgh 1957-74.
192? Glan Ely housing, Grand Avenue, Ely; BoW; late 1920s;
195? flats, Gabalfa, Cardiff AJ 11.6.59 John Dryburgh;
1961-3 Cantonian High School, Fairwater, Cardiff; BoW; JD;
1962-3 Fitzalan High School, Canton, Cardiff; BoW; JD; add 1966-8)
196? Ty Celyn High School, Llanishen, Cardiff; adds 1971-3 for Cardiff High School; BoW
CARLINE, JOHN Shrewsbury. 1761-1835; son of John Carline I, mason, from Lincoln, 1730-93, foreman for English Bridge Shrewsbury 1769-74. Carline & Tilley to 1796 Carline & Linnell from 1797. Notable monumental masons. John Carline III 1792-1862 was son and architect and mon mason. Carline & Dodson c1835-45. No known architectural works in Wales, numerous memorials.
CARMARTHENSHIRE COUNTY. William Williams Llandeilo, County Surveyor (Bridges) c1829-c1846. John Thomas, Carmarthen, bridge surveyor 1844 dir, Bridgemaster Carmarthenshire for 30 yrs, d1854. RK Penson Bridge Surveyor 1852; Thomas George County surveyor 1860; William Vincent Morgan County Architect from 1905; W. Lionel Jenkins County Surveyor E District c1909-10;
CARMARTHENSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Technical Services Dept, Parc Myrddin, Carmarthen 01267 228221. Andrew Nicholas works there.
List of new works in Community News Feb-March 2009 incs exts to Llanboidy School £1.2m; new Peniel School, Carmarthen £3.6m; Bryn Teg Community School, Llanelli (replacing Llwynhendy Junior) £4.8m, to be a blueprint for all new schools in Carms; Ysgol Brynsierfel, Llanelli about to begin £5.1m; Queen Elizabeth High School, Carmarthen £28m; Ysgol y Dderwen Carmarthen being blt £4.7m new teaching wing, adds to hall etc; Neuadd y Gwendraeth, new hall at Gwendraeth School £2.35m; Swiss Valley CP Llaneli £1m extension opened 2009; Ysgol Maes y Morfa School, Llanelli to start £4.5m new school to open Sept 2010; Bryn School, Llanelli new £3.8m boys school opened Sept 2007;Ysgol y Bedol, Cwmamman, new community school £5.5m; over next years also three schools in Llanelli Maes Y Morfa, Ysgol y Felin Furnace & Seaside; new hall Halfway School £2m; exts Tycroes School £850,000;