Mary Shearer, B Mch 15, 1813, ob married John Bortner
Malinda Shearer, B June 20, 1818 ob. M. Chads Chalfant
V12 Page 152 [blank]
V12 Page 153 [blank]
V12 Page 154
Sarah Davidson Francis died Feby 2, 1849
Walker Espey Francis died Nov 23, 1853
Isabella Long Francis died Nov 6, 1853
Twins, boy, stillborn died Nov 19, 1854
Twin, boy Francis died Nov 20, 1854
Joseph Barnett Francis died Apr 14, 1880
Clarissa Torrence Francis died Dec 26, 1886
James Walker Francis died Mch 19, 1888
Mary Ann Blackstone Francis died Mch 4, 1922
The record pasted on the back cover, Mr J. Leslie Francis, says was written by his Uncle William Barnett who when he died was warden of the State Penitentiary at San Francisco, Calif.
Joseph Barnett & Mary Boyd Aug 27, 1809
Hamilton Barnett & Ann M. Closey Sept 6, 1836
James W. Francis & Clarissa Barnett Oct 15, 1839
William Boyd Barnett & Mary Freeman
Joseph Barnett & Sarah Stewart Apr 3rd, 1849
Joseph Barnett & Harriet Barnett Apr 14, 1868
1. William Boyd Barnett born Sept 5, 1810
2. Hamilton Barnett born June 3, 1811
3. Clarissa Barnett born Apr 27, 1814
4. Edwin Barnett born Sept 13, 1816
5. Joseph Barnett Jr born May 14, 1823
V12 Page 155
Births of the parents of the above five children:
Joseph Barnett Jr was born Aug 27, 1734 (& Mr J. Leslie Francis says it was in Bedford Co Pa & his father was also Joseph Francis.)
Mary Barnett (nee Boyd) was born Dec 12, 1787.
Births of the children of Joseph & Sarah (Stewart) Barnett all born in Dayton O
1. Joseph Martin Barnett born June 8, 1850
2. John Stewart Barnett born Aug 19, 1851
3. Anna Barnett born June 22, 1854
4. William Barnett born Oct 11, 1856
Death in Joseph Barnett Jr's family
(He was the third Joseph in succession).
Joseph Martin Barnett died Aug 21, 1850
Ann Barnett died Aug 31, 1855
Willie Barnett died Nov 20, 1858
Sarah Barnett, wife & mother died Jany 21, 1861 aged 42 yrs & 7 mos
Mary Barnett (daughter of Wm Boyd & Ann Jack) died May 10, 1856 aged 69 yrs & 5 mos. Mr Francis remembers her very well & says she lived at Connellsville Pa on the north edge of the Bor on what was known as the old Gibson property (not Gibson Sta) on Mountz Creek, in a stone house to the right of the B&O RR as you go down & which is still standing & died there. This property was owned 51 A by James W. Francis, her son in law & she died at his home. She was rather tall 5 ft 8 in & rather slim, with very beautiful blue eyes. She died from a stroke of paralysis.
He says his great Uncle, Judge Robert Boyd who
V12 Page 156
he knew & who visited them, died of phthysic [sic], now asthma.
Edwin Barnett died Sept 26, 1817
Joseph Barnett Senr died June 3, 1812 aged 52 yrs
His son who married Mary Boyd also Joseph Barnett Senr died June 27, 1833 aged 49 yrs & 4 mos? (not carried out right)
William Boyd Senr died Feby 28, 1812 aged 60 yrs
Nancy Boyd died Oct 8, 1797, aged 61 yrs
It does not say here who Nancy Boyd was, but some records that Victor has written says she was the wife of William Boyd, when Victor & his father both agree that his wife was Ann Jack & Not Nancy Dick.
Mr Francis says the old Wm Boyd home in Bullskin Tp is a large narrow long brick house with a porch in front & borders the S.W. RR rpo, which went through the Souther Edge of the 500 A & which was on the left hand or north side of Mountz Creek as you go toward Scottdale Pa & on which on a knoll to the left of the Tp road as you go toward the house fr C'ville is a graveyard, which was started as the family g.y., probably a quarter of a mile before you reached the house. Go see the g.y. & get tombstone records. Mr F. used to be scared to pass the g.y. when a young child going to visit his Uncle Thomas of whom he
V12 Page 157
has a vivid recollection, who he says was a medium sized man, with considerable flesh. He thinks he was buried in the g.y. on the farm but is not sure. Thinks his son Richard would have gotten his father's bible record which would probably go to Charles at Dawson Pa.
Victor has a number of penciled sheet records which he wrote down as dictated to him by his Aunt, Miss Mary A.B. Francis about two yrs before her death. He reads & I copy:
William Boyd & Nancy Dick (it should be Ann Jack)emigrated from the Shenandoah Valley to Bullskin Tp, Fayette Co Pa.
Speaking of the wife of Thos Boyd, they have it Nancy Rist not Rice & think that she was an Aunt of John Rist who married Roxie Whitsett, sister of Dr J.E. Whitsett & a first cousin of Victor's mother. She wasn't. Her name was Rice. [This last added later]
Mr F. says the 2d wife, Ann Herstein died before his Uncle Thomas.
Joseph Barnett (say 1760 1812) married Sarah Allen, daughter of Gen Ethan Allen, a Vermonter. Both at first resided after marriage at Chambersburg Pa & from there emigrated to Fayette Co Pa & from there to Pittsburg Pa & owned
V12 Page 158
40 A on Squirrel Hill E.E.
their children were:
Joseph Barnett married Mary Boyd
Sarah Barnett married Mr Duke
______ Barnett married Mr Irwin
Maria Barnett married Mr Burchfield from whom Congressman Burchfield descends.
John Stewart Barnett, son of Joseph Barnett Jr, disappeared & has not been heard of. Think he was lost in San Francisco Earthquake.
Leaving 2:11 PM
Mr Francis was very glad I called & said to come back any time, that the latch string was always out for me.
V12 Page 159
At residence of Rufus Fleming, Franklin Tp, Fayette Co Pa (Smock RFD 1 P.O.) July 12, 1924 3:33 PM
Mrs Fleming, the daughter of Jacob Shearer, says her grandmother, his mother, was Rebecca Markle who was the daughter of George Markle, bro of great grandfather Casper & who married Frederick Shearer. She don't know the name of his, Frederick's parents, nor where he was born, nor when he came to Fayette Co. She does not know of any other Shearer marrying a Markle. Says she does not have her father's bible record, but that her brother Emanuel Shearer has it & he lives at No 510 East Bean St, Washington Pa.
1. She says her Aunt Elizabeth died unmarried, an old maid
2. Sarah married a Hosler & he died & she survived him many years. She
remembers her as Aunt Sallie Hosler"
4. Rebecca married a Whiting
5. Benjamin. Don't know where he went
6. David, went to Iowa
7. Daniel went to Mill Run Pa
9. Christina mar Samuel Brown
10. Mary mar John Bortner
11. Malinda mar Chads Chalfant
8. Jacob Shearer, my informant's father married Emily Shotwell, daughter of John Shotwell & his wife, Sarah Shanks or (Shanklin)
V12 Page 160
She says her father was raised at the Robert Boyd farm, now the George Boyd chicken farm, the fine big brick house thereon being built by his father, Frederick Shearer, she thinks. This farm is in Jefferson Tp, facing the J. Leslie Francis farm I just came from. Her father had seven children in order of ages as follows:
1. John Frederick Shearer
2. Rebecca Markle Shearer
3. Emanuel Shearer
4. Sarah Catherine Shearer, herself
5. LeRoy Norton Shearer
6. Susan Elizabeth Shearer
7. Emily Caroline Shearer
4. Sarah Catherine Shearer, my informant, was born in this Tp at Home place on Aug 23, 1847 & was married Jany 20, 1874 at the old home place by Rev Wesley Larimer to Rufus Fleming who was born Nov 19, 1851 in Dunbar Tp, the son of Robert Quincey Fleming & his wife Esther Johns Cochran (dau of Mordecai). They have four children all born in this Tp & all living, viz:
1. John Frederick Fleming born Oct 27, 1874
2. Guy Shearer Fleming born Oct 6, 1877
3. Emma Esther Fleming born Sept 2, 1881
4. Ray Quincy Fleming born May 17, 1888
1. John Frederick Fleming married Dec 23, 1897 Georgia Mae Brown, daughter or Richard H. Brown & his wife Louisiana
V12 Page 161
Hagerty, who was born Nov 10, 1878 & they live at Waltersburg Pa where he is section foreman on PRR & have two children living & one dead viz:
I. Samuel Tilden Robert Brown Fleming B Feby 13, 1899
See table next page.
Leaving 5:11 PM
The home of Mrs Fleming's father, Jacob Shearer was back over the hill a short distance from this, her present home & the home of her mother's father, John Shotwell was the brick house just above this & this which is a frame house, is on a part of his, John Shotwell's farm, which Mrs Fleming got from or through her mother. Mr Fleming did not come in until I was about to leave & was very kind, glad I came, & asked me to come again. Their son Ray Q. assisted with the records as did his wife & a large woman, his Aunt, sister of his father. Mrs Fleming is a medium sized modest woman, but is somewhat hard of hearing. We followed up the Pittsburg Road nine miles to Uniontown, passing Richard H. Brown's fine home in Waltersburg & passing just before reaching Upper Middletown, the Elizabeth Thompson brick house, on the left now painted lead colored & passed our back gate. I left a record with Ray Q. of eleven questions which he said he wd get & send me to fill in dates on table on next page July 29. got answer fr Ray Q. giving dates & he writes that he wants a book.
V12 Page 162
Sarah Catherine Shearermarried Rufus Fleming see page 160
John Frederick Fleming, B Oct 27, 1874 mar Dec 23, 1897 Georgia Mae Brown who was born Nov 10, 1878
Samuel T.R.B. Fleming B Feby 13, 1899 m. Mch 27, 1919 Anna Grace McBurney born July 5, 1903, dau of Wm McBurney & his wife Mary Cooper dau of Joel. Have 4 children all born in Franklin Tp
Emma Grace, B July 21, 1919
Wm Robert, B June 21, 1921
John Allen, B Aug 12, 1922
Willis Earl, B Mch 1, 1924
Roy Brown Fleming, B July 3, 1903 ob Feby 14, 1909 d.y.
John Davis, B Aug 29, 1911
Guy Shearer Fleming, B Oct 6, 1877 m. Oct 16, 1901 to Caroline Carson Rittenhouse, dau of James H. Rittenhouse & wife Dorcas Hazen. Has 2 children born in Franklin Tp. He is a H.C. Frick Coke Co carpenter foreman. She born Mch 28, 1883.
James Rufus, B July 24, 1902 m. Nov 18, 1922 to Laverna Allen B Sept 26, 1904 dau of John Addison Allen & wife Lou Woodward (dau of John W. Woodward)
John Shearer, B Dec 6, 1923
Harry Rittenhouse, B Sept 18, 1911
Emma Esther, B Sept 2, 1881 m. Sept 25, 1907 to James Howard Dunn, son of S. Watson Dunn & his wife Clarissa Henshaw who was born Apr 12, 1882. They live at Buena Vista, Vanderbilt Pa where he is a farmer on his father's home place.
2. Clarissa Catherine, B May 25, 1909
1. Willard Dunn, B Sept 25, 1907
3. Jesse Shearer Dunn, B Jany 3, 1917
4. J. Howard Dunn Jr, B May 26, 1919
Ray Quincy, B May 17, 1888 m. Aug 7, 1918 to Vesta Mae Robinson born Feby 15, 1890 at Connellsville Pa dau of Frank Robinson & his wife Katharine Riffle, sister of Marion B. Riffle. Have 2 chil born in this house & Tp.
Kathryn Nelle, B Jany 28, 1919
Jacob Ray, B Aug 11, 1923
V12 Page 163 [blank]
V12 Page 164
Oak Hill, July 13, 1924 12:25 PM
On Friday night, we drove A.T. Secrest out to the Lecky g.y. where I made note of one marker viz:
Mary Ann, wife of William Lecky died Apr 18, 1850, aged 29 yrs & 3 days
We drove home through New Salem Pa & I showed Mr Secrest where the old home of his great great great grandmother Ann Thompson had been & where she died. He says James Thompson, the father of Hezekiah Y. Thompson was a miller at Greenwood, a part of Senecaville O & not Zanesville O as reported in Book 9 page 416 419 by H.P. widow.
A.T.S. says that Geo W. Taylor of Columbus O recently told him that Susannah Thompson, see book 7 p 254, who married Robert Rounds, is not living together with her husband at Irving on the Hudson NY & if he can get their full address will send it to me. Robert Rounds had been postmaster at Columbus O. A.T.S. says Rev Roscoe McVicker, book 7 p 293 line 29, moved from Sonora O to Cambridge O where he now lives & he should have his parents bible record.
Referring to book 7 page 284 line 14.
V12 Page 165
to record of Nellie Secrest, I am told by Abraham T. Secrest to leave her out, as there is not Thompson blood in her as she was born 4 mos & 10 days after her mother was married to his father & was not his father's child, but her father was a man named Jackson, who has always openly claimed her. I told him that being born after his father married her mother legitimized her as a Secrest.
A.T. Secrest has Mrs Burn's record same as mine at Book 7 p 202 giving a John as one of six children of John 1788 1856 whereas Mrs Hart missed John evidently & only gave five in book 9.
P 146. A.T.S. says too that Robert Sproat Thompson told him that John's (see book 9 p 146) oldest daughter Elizabeth had a son Robert which Mrs Hart does not give but does give Phebe & John T.
A.T. Secrest says there is a David Frame living near San Antonio Texas who is 90 yrs old, but he knows but little abt his line. His address is Van Orma? Texas. He says too that Roland S. Frame has a brother Pinzon Frame, both living at Old Washington O. He is either two yrs older or younger than Roland. He says he thinks the descendants of James Frame & Mary Thompson book 7 p202 are about Spencer Sta between there & Lore City O.
A.T.S. says that the father of Wm Rose who married
V12 Page 166
[fermata mark appears here upper left hand corner]
Mary Ann Thompson book 7 p 200 was Benjamin Rose, who was born in Penna May 2, 1789 & died near Senecaville O July 18, 1825. His wife was Hannah Dilley born June 20, 1787 & died Mch 14, 1865. Their children were:
1. William who married Mary A.T. Thompson
3. Elizabeth mar Joseph Witter
4. Benjmain Jr
6. Anna mar Samuel Reed.
Mary A.T. Thompson & Wm Rose had the following children so A.T.S. says:
1. Alvina Rose mar James Dollison
2. Hannah Susannah Rose born Feby 29, 1834 & died June 20, 1879 married Feby 1, 1855 to Henry G. Secrest See Spaid Book p 146 to 152 for descendants.
3. Mary Emily Rose mar Nelson Connett
4. John Calvin Rose mar Emily Lowery
5. Benjamin Franklin Rose born Jany 28, 1840 still living mar on Dec 18, 1866 Elizabeth Millhone born Mch 23, 1844 & still living. These are the parents of Mrs C. Jacob Finley.
8. Catherine Rose born Jany 22, 1848 mar John D. Rowland See book 7 p 212.
V12 Page 167
Cumberland Presbyterian Church Graveyard at Pleasant View, Redstone Tp, Fayette Co Pa erected 1859 or 1839 Repaired 1898. July 12, 1924 7:33 AM
I commenced at the left hand corner by the church as you go in & went across & across back & forth to the farther end on the hill.
1. Samuel Brown, born Aug 14, 1814 died May 31, 1883.
Louisa H. Brown born Sept 1823, died Oct 23, 1915
2. Mary W. Henderson wife of Isaac Henderson died Mch 20, 1882 aged 73 yrs 5 mos 9 days
Isaac Henderson died Feby 27, 1906, aged 92 yrs 1 mo 4 days
Samuel Henderson born Apr 24, 1843 died Mch 2, 1895
Elizabeth, his wife born June 10, 1854 died Mch 16, 1905
Mary H. daughter of S&E Henderson born Sept 23, 1877 died Apr 28, 1893
Infant son died June 6, 1876
Infant son died Nov 1, 1888
Infant son died Sept 19, 1890
Children of S&E Henderson
3. John C. McCormick died May 31, 1875 aged 80 yrs
Hannah, wife of John C. McCormick died Apr 19, 1874 aged 78 yrs
4. Joseph Ellsworth Beal Oct 30, 1862, Apr 10, 1911
5. Father & Mother
V12 Page 168
Sylvester Duff Dec 31, 1849, May 13, 1914
Malinda M., his wife June 4, 1854 ______ living.
6. Alex Henderson Born Nov 22, 1816, died Aug 6, 1897
Phebe, wife of Alex Henderson born May 6, 1818, died Aug 26, 1894
7. Ira Vane, son of M.B. & L.J. Porter Born May 26, 1894, died Apr 8, 1896
8. Andrew Eli Lynn 1857 1922
Eliza, wife of A.E. Lynn 1858 1914
Olive Blanche 1886 1903
9. Roy Brown Fleming died Feby 14, 1909 aged 5 yrs 7 mos 11 days
10. Lewis P. Hess Born Sept 13, 1843 died Jany 2, 1917
Jane A. Hess Feby 20, 1839, Dec 26, 1913
Archie L. son of L.E. & L.A. Hess Dec 13, 1905, Dec 23, 1905
Leaving 8:50 AM
We then drove on to John Leslie Francis, see page 144 et seq & from there, we drove to Rufus Fleming's see pages 159 to 162 incl. It is now 4:30 PM & I am invited over to Andrew's for dinner at 5 PM
V12 Page 169
Oak Hill, July 18, 1924 8 PM
Minnie S. Thorndell, in answer to my recent letter to her phoned me last night that the key to the old Methodist Episcopal g.y. was at Lewis Armstead's, so we drove there at 8:50 this morning & got it from Geo Stanard, colored, who has charge of mowing the g.y. Pallini then drove me to the head of Morgantown Street & I was:
AT Old Baptist Church graveyard head of Morgantown St Uniontown Pa July 18, 1924 9:11 AM
I commenced at corner of church & worked south along the street back & forth & noted the following:
1. Rev William Brownfield died Jany 18, 1859 in his 86th yr.
Sarah, consort of Rev Wm Brownfield died Dec 29, 1856 aged 83 yrs 4 mos 14 days.
2. Jonathan Gray died Oct 15, 1864 aged 85 yrs 6 mos 3 days
Hannah Gray died Aug 18, 1882 aged 88 yrs 3 mos 5 days
Lilly A. wife of Hezekiah Riner died Sept 25, 1855 aged 82 yrs
3. Rebecca Brown, wife of W.W. Williams born Feby 29, 1812 died Nov 13, 1876
Willie S., son of W.W. Rebecca Williams born Sept 9, 1856 died Feby 27, 1872.
V12 Page 170
4. Nathaniel H. Jaquett died Feby 13, 1874 aged 81 yrs 10 mos & 16 days.
5. John Brownfield died Oct 4, 1854 aged 83 yrs & 5 mos
6. Amelia Carter died June 22, 1898 aged 93 yrs
7. Elizabeth, wife of John Vorhees died May 2, 1805 aged 35 yrs
John Vorhees died Feby 9, 1828 in his 59th yr
8. In memory of William Thompson Winship (flat) died Sept 13, 1832 aged 1 yr 3 mos 21 days (2 verses)
9. Sacred to the memory of Samuel Cooley died Dec 11, 1840 aged 70 yrs 6 mos 15 days. Tis but at best a narrow bound that heaven allows to men. And pains & sins run through the round of three score years & ten.
Elizabeth Cooley, also horizontal half as high, died Jany 31, 1867 aged 87 yrs 8 mos 30 days Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints Psalm 110th 15 (or 45) verse.
10. Levi Gaddis died Aug 9, 1850 aged 26 yrs
Sarah Gaddis died July 31, 1819 in 59 yrs (barely possible might be 1849)
John Gaddis died Feby 2, 1868 aged 79 yrs 4 mos 27 days
Sarah, widow of Robert Gaddis died Dec 25, 1818 (or 1848) aged 93 yrs
Ruth, consort of William Gaddis died Apr 6, 1850 aged 41 yrs 4 mos.
11. Jacob Johnston died Aug 6, 1846 aged 70 yrs 3 mos 14 days.
V12 Page 171
12. Samuel Minor (among the Clement graves) died Jany 19, 1826 aged 86 yrs 1 mo 29 days
Ann Minor, consort of Samuel Minor died Feby 6, 1830 aged 81 yrs 9 mos etc.
13. Sarah, wife of Eli Finley died Nov 22, 1876 in her 65th yr
14. Joseph P. McClelland died Jany 28, 1866 in his 64th yr
Amanda, wife of Joseph P. McClelland died Aug 22, 1881 (or 1887) in her 71st yr.
15. Enos West, Sen, died Aug 8, 1864 in his 78th yr
Margaret, wife of Enos West died Aug 2, 1867 in h34 7th yr
16. Priscilla Littell, consort of Alonzo L. Littell & daughter of William & Priscilla Morris died Oct 4, 1840 aged 31 yrs & 3 days.
Priscilla Elenor, infant dau of Alonzo L & Priscilla died Jany 1, 1841 aged 4 mos 19 days.
17. Dennis Springer died Apr 6, 1823 aged 75 (or 73) yrs
Elizabeth Springer, wife of Dennis springer Sen died May 24, 1832 aged 75 yrs 27 days
Dennis Springer, died Nov 23, 1827 aged 88 yrs etc (fading)
18. Jacob Gaddis born Sept 7? 1778 died Aug 27, 1859
Sarah, wife of Jacob Gaddis died Aug 20, 1887 aged 82 yrs
Robert Gaddis died Feby 7, 1834 aged 85 yrs
Ansley Gaddis (to right of Robt) died June 2, 1842 aged 29 yrs
James Gaddis (to left of Robt & down) died May 23, 1833 aged 22 yrs
& just back of these is:
V12 Page 172
John Gaddis died Apr 12, 1827 in his 87th yr
Hannah Ann Mar Gaddis (to John's right) died May 7th 1832 aged 11 or 15 mos & 13 days.
James Gaddis (to John's left) died Aug 17? 1843 aged 14 yrs 1 mo 23 days
Sarah Gaddis died Jany 7, 1802 aged 50 yrs
Anna Gaddis died Mch 29, 1799 aged 17 yrs
19. Jonathan G. Allen died Dec 1, 1867 aged 73 yrs etc
Elizabeth, wife of Jonathan G. Allen died Aug 22, 1884 aged 87 yrs 11 mos 4 days
James P. Allen died Apr 16, 1841 (or '44) aged 11 yrs 6 mos 7? days
20. Jacob Prichard died May 10, 1864 aged 72 yrs
Elizabeth, wife of Jacob Prichard died Dec 26, 1868 in her 77th yr
Calvin G. son of C.G. & M.F. Prichard died July 10, 1858 aged 7 yrs
Charles G. Prichard died May 26, 1868 in his 47th yr, under a haw tree, lower end of lot.
21. James Allen, born Sept 18, 1771 died Apr 8? 1809 aged 37 yrs 5 mos 11 days.
Mary, consort of James Allen Born Mch 22, 1776 died June 8, 1859 aged 83 yrs 2 mos & 17 days
Sutiann Allen, died Jany 6, 1831 aged 2 yrs 3 mos 1 day
Sally Allen Dau of James & May Allen Died Feby 17, 1801 aged 1 yr
24. Mary McClary, consort of Jas H. McClary died Mch 16, 1842 in her 36th yr
Leaving 11:30 AM
I then walked down street & was:
AT Old Methodist Episcopal Church graveyard West end of Peter St, Uniontown Pa July 18, 1924 11:44 AM
I commenced along the street back of front end of church & worked east, back & forth:
25. James L. Bugh died Nov 23, 1874 in his 80th yr
Ann Grant, wife of James L. Bugh died Oct 1851 in her 49th yr
Elizabeth Grant died Oct 5, 1849 in her 86th yr. The above 3 in a lot enclosed with iron bars abt 12 by 15 ft.
26. Benjamin Hellen, born in Calvert Co Md Oct 7, 1779, died Jany 3, 1864
Priscilla Hook Hellen born in Uniontown Pa Jany 11, 1786 died Nov 10, 1858
27. James Boyle born in Calvert Co, Md Born July 13, 1780 died May 11, 1845 in 65th yr
Margaret, wife of James Boyle, died July 28, 1862, aged 78 yrs 5 mos 21 days
V12 Page 174
Mary, daughter of James & Margaretta Boyle died Oct 17, 1844 aged 22 yrs 9 days
28. Alexander Turner (one time owner of this Oak Hill) died May 22, 1851 aged 62 yrs
Jane, wife of Alexander Turner died Jany 12, 1846 aged 64 yrs.
29. Rebecca Carey died Sept 26, 1903 aged about 100 yrs born black & a slave "Aunt Becky" died redeemed a white soul washed in the blood of the Lamb.
29 1/2. Elizabeth, wife of Abner Springer died May 3, 1855 in her 71st yr
Abner Springer (Father of Jane E. Johnson) died Mch 4, 1846 aged 76 yrs 11 mos 19 days
30. Elijah Crossland died Oct 3, 1860 aged 78 yrs 2 mos 17 days
Catharine, wife of Elijah Crossland died Feby 6, 1868 aged 84 yrs 10 mos 18 days
John Kithcart (grandfather I think of Jno A.) Born Dec 5, 1799 died Aug 1, 1850
Mary, consort of John Kithcart born Dec 11, 1801 died July 29, 1850 Both evidently carried off by the cholera
31. Richard Barry (big horizontal slab 18 inches high) Died Sept 8, 1836 aged 70 yrs 9 mos 19 days
George son of Robert L & Juliet Barry died Sept 21, 1848 aged 3 yrs 6 mos 8 days
32. This is right up next to the St back of Crosslands. In memory of Rachel Crothers, consort of John Crothers died July 17, 1840 in her 33d yr.
33. Capt Hugh Gorley died Sept 10, 1864 (or 61) in his 72d yr
Matilda, wife of Hugh Gorley (my mother) [?] died June 19, 1874 aged 84 yrs.
V12 Page 175
Louisa A. Gorley died Apr 25, 1854 aged 23 yrs 2 mos 27 days
Jane Eliza Gorley died Apr 14, 1839 aged 17 yrs 7 mos 27 days
34. Sacred to memory of Jacob Downard w.d.t.l. Apr 7, 1820 aged 72 yrs
35. Mrs Margaret Kincaid died Apr 19, 1841 aged 67 yrs
36. Rev Thornton Fleming died Nov 20, 1846 aged 82 yrs 1 mo2 8 days, a traveling preacher in M.E. Church for 61 yrs.
Sarah Fleming, consort of Rev Thornton Fleming died Dec 10, 1837 in her 60th yr.
37. Wm B. Roberts born in Fayette Co Pa Jany 21, 1809. At the call of his country, he raised a company of volunteer infantry for the war with Mexico, was elected its Captain, joined 2nd Pa Reg & was elected its Colonel. Cerro Gordo attested his skill & bravery. He surrendered his life to disease in the captured Capital of the enemy whence his remains were brought & here interred, died in the City of Mexico Oct 3, 1847. A successful mechanic, a generous friend, an honest man, beloved by his family, honored by his fellow citizens. (The Roberts Building West Main St built by him when a young man, four stories high remained the tallest building in town for about 60 yrs until I build our Bank Bldg 11 stores high in 1901 1903)
38. Nobel McCormick died Mch 29, 1850 aged 61 yrs 6 mos 17 days
Sarah J. McCormick died Aug 23, 1854 aged 37 yrs 1 mos 14 days
V12 Page 176
39. Sarah Wood born Apr 3, 1766 died Jany 23, 1865
40. John Grant died Feby 27, 1841 aged 76 yrs
Hester Grant died May 20, 1857 aged 78 yrs
41. Gabriel Deselms died Feby 11, 1869 aged 84 yrs 9 mos 11 days
Kesiah Desellems wife of Gabriel died Apr 5, 1840 age gone [variations in spelling noted.]
42. Thomas Brownfield died Apr 27, 1829 in his 63d yr
Elizabeth Brownfield died Aug 3, 1835 in her 63d yr
Catharine Hart (their daughter) died Mch 6, 1834 aged 40 yrs 2 mos 4 days
Ewing McCleary (her 1st husband, father of Wm) died Feby 3, 1823 aged 45 yrs & 7 mos
Thomas McCleary died Aug 25, 1825 aged 13 yrs 8 mos 8 days
Elizabeth McCleary dau of Ewing & Catharine died June 30, 1833 aged_____ & 1 mo
James Searight born Oct 14, 1832 died Aug 7, 1833
James Thair died Nov 26, 1835 aged 6 yrs 1 mos 26 days
43. Ann Catlin died Dec 5, 1826 aged 45 yrs
44. Thomas Darlington died May 5, 1856 aged 86 yrs 2 mos
45. Benjamin Price Esq died Dec 17, 1853 aged 77 yrs 1 mo 7 days
46. Mary Tiernan died Dec 30, 1830 aged 36 yrs 9 mos 23 days
47. Jacob Murphy died Mch 13, 1813 aged 53 yrs
V12 Page 177
48. Susann Rowland died Dec 4, 1798 aged 44 yrs
49. James Gregg died Apr 25, 1810 aged 53 yrs
Nacca [sic] Gregg died Nov 11, 1847 aged 87 yrs
50. Here lies the body of the Rev Thomas H. Daughaday, minister of the gospel who finished his course on the 12 of October in the year of our Lord 1810 (not sure of year) Aetatis 33 (This is a firm stone being in but one piece the undressed base being buried. This is Mrs Mary Will C. Conaway's ancestor or forbear & I wrote her today of finding his resting place.
51. George Ebert, died Sept 16, 1827 aged 73 yrs
52. Garrett T. Greenland, born Apr 2, 1819, died Apr 7, 1853
Jane Greenland, died Feby 20, 1860 in her 73d yr
Abner Greenland died Apr 23, 1830 aged 46 yrs 9 mos 16 days
53. Eli M. Gregg died June 5, 1866 aged 62 yrs & 26 days
54. Suky Young (earliest burial found) died Sept 20, 1790 aged 2 yrs 1 mo 20 days
55. Matilda, consort of Dr John Patrick died Oct 30, 1852 aged 48 yrs
56. Daniel Bunting born Feby 14, 1777, died Dec 2, 1852 aged 75 yrs 9 mos 18 days. Then down along back fence is:
V12 Page 178
57. John Van Kirk died Sept 10, 1843 aged 78 yrs 3 mos 21 days. He owned the triangle bounded by South St Morgantown & Arch Sts
Abigail Van Kirk born June 1, 1768 died Apr 3, 1859 aged 90 yrs 10 mos & 2 days
Leaving 2:02 PM
It is now 11:15 PM & I have finished transcribing & will get ready for bed.