28. ______ There are only two instances of word painting in all of music.
29. _____ The term absolute music refers to a piece of music with a story.
30. _____ One may copyright a melody OR a chord progression, but not the two together.
31. _____ The term program music refers to a piece of music without a story.
32. ______ It is customary and expected to applaud between movements of a large musical work.
33. ______ The timbre of a work may be described as loud or soft, fast or slow.
34. ______"Art" music that centers around a key is said to be from the "Good Period”.
35. ______The most common meter you will encounter in music is six.
36. ______ The Common Practice Period was from 1700-1800.
37. ______ Polyphonic texture contains no harmony.
38. ______ “Vocal fry” is a technique that improves the overall quality of the voice.
39. ______ A listener can never be fooled into where the beat is; it is always obvious.
40. ______ A “loop pedal” is used to correct inaccuracies in pitch of singers.
41. ______ The "Three B's of Music" are Berlioz, Balakirev, and Beyonce.
42. ______ A musical motive is usually hidden so well that listeners are not able to notice it.
43. ______ A "romantic" sensibility stresses an awareness of form and balance.
44. ______ The texture of a musical work will always remain constant all the way through.
45. ______ You do not need permission to use someone else’s song as background music in a commercial.
46. ______ Monophonic texture, by its definition, contains harmony (not necessarily accompaniment).
Discuss how John Cage redefines each of the following in 4’33”: Silence, role of performer and listener; tension and release; what is music?
Explain how Vivaldi’s Spring is both program music as well as absolute music.
Discuss the perception of “time turning around”.
Discuss Sonata Allegro Form.
Please submit these two completed pages to me by 5:00 pm on Thursday, May 8. Be sure your name is on the first answer sheet.
You may email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure that you receive a reply from me!
If you wish, you may fax the completed exam answers to me at 215-855-0182. Please write your email address on the faxed exam as well, so that I may send a receipt of your exam.
Thanks for a truly great semester! Best of luck for the remainder of your academic pursuits!!!