1. What is the significance of the author refusing to take a beer on Day 7? A He becomes very thirsty and almost dies from lack of liquids.
B The man gets angry and throws three sodas at Gary Paulsen.
C The lead dog, Wilson, is seen running on three legs and sucking his foot.
D The dog team gets to drink the beer and is unable to run the next day.
Why does the dog team and Gary Paulsen seem to be standing still during Day 8?
A The heavy snow makes movement almost impossible.
B Gary Paulsen can not see the team moving because he is blinded by the sun.
C The land all looks the same and is stultifying.
D Gary Paulsen is hallucinating and thinks they are not moving.
Why does Wilson keep falling over?
A He is sleepy.
B He is bored
C He is sick. D He is scared.
4. What is the main reason the author does not reveal that he was the one who kept saying “Willy?”? A The man would not believe him.
B Gary Paulsen is embarrassed.
C Willy asked him not to.
D There was not enough time to tell him.
5. How did the author feel about the man who landed his plane in the ghost town on Day 9? A He is grateful to him.
B He is confused and upset.
C He is proud to have met him.
D He is strange and unusual. 6. What was the significance of the author feeding one of his dos all of his own food? A The dog became sick and was left behind.
B He became very fond of butter and ate nothing else.
C He overate chili and had severe gastric distress.
D The other dogs became jealous and started fights. 7. What was the author’s greatest challenge on Day 10? A rain
D ice 8. Which statement about “serious cold” is best supported by the selection? A This terrible night I got too cold.
B Running brings my body heat back up.
C The raw air freezes the sides of my throat and blood vessels burst.
D I sit on my sled with my back to the soul-cold wind.
9. To what does the author compare “serious cold”? A being chilled to the bone
B coming down like death
C having chattering teeth
D running with no breath 10. Which experience is most similar to the author’s experience during the last four days of this race for the finish?
A driving down the interstate as cars speed by you
B playing harder and harder to win a basketball game
C playing a game in a sport you love and are way behind in score points
D deciding to quit because there is not way you can win 11. With which statement would the author most likely agree? A always strive to be the best, no matter the cost.
B If a task seems too difficult, stop and seek another direction.
Never begin a task when there is a chance you may not succeed.
D It does not matter if you win or lose; it is how you play the game that counts. 12. Explain the author’s emotions at the ending of the race. Why did he almost go back without crossing the finish line? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
13. Give two reasons why Gary Paulsen decided to cross the finish line. Do you think he did the right thing? Why or why not? _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
14. What is your opinion of this selection? Explain your response. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________