1. Steven Brown is in the 6th grade at Taylor County Middle School. He is an intelligent student, but one night Steven stayed up too late and he knew he had a test the next day. When he took his test at school he failed it.
What was the cause of Steven failing his test?
A. He didn't try at all.
B. He didn't know about the test.
C. He stayed up too late.
2. Ronnie had a dog named Shane. Shane is fun to play with. One day Ronnie was playing with Shane and the ball went across the street. Shane ran into the street and got hit by a car. When Ronnie got to Shane he was injured with a broken leg.
What was the effect of Shane getting hit by the car?
A. He died.
B. He was injured with a broken leg.
C. The car wrecked.
3. Tammy was in her backyard climbing a tree. She climbed to the middle part of the tree. Before she knew what had happened, bees were swarming all around and over her. Tammy let out a blood curdling yell.
What do you think was the effect of Tammy hitting the nest?
A. Bees stung her.
B. The nest fell.
C. Some of the bees died.
4. Mrs. Johnson works at a bakery. She is a nice, but elderly lady, who really needs to retire from the bakery. One Monday afternoon Robert went to the bakery after school to order a cake for his mom's wedding. Robert needed the cake on Thursday afternoon by 3:00 P. M. Mrs. Johnson said she would have it ready for him. On Tuesday she started making the cake but she put too much flour in the cake and it rose up too much in the middle. Mrs. Johnson started over making the cake. This time she put too much sugar in the cake and it cracked right down the middle. Finally, by Thursday morning, Mrs. Johnson had the cake ready to decorate. As she was picking it up to place it on the table where she decorated her cakes, she almost dropped it on the floor.
What do you think was the cause of Mrs. Johnson having so much trouble with the cake?
A. Robert did not order the cake early enough.
B. She put too much flour in the cake mix.
C. Mrs. Johnson was really too old to still be working in the bakery.
5. Shawn Falco is the quarterback for the Washington Wantabees. He is a great quarterback. January 1, 2002 the Wantabees played against the Milwaukee Willabees. The Wantabees were losing 10 to 14. It was 4th down and 3 yards to go with 4 seconds left on the clock. Shawn hiked the ball but he dropped it. This cost them the game.
What was the effect of Shawn dropping the ball?
A. They lost the game.
B. He got hurt.
C. He got fired.
6. David Green is a man who works at a zoo. He helps train the animals for shows. He mostly works with chimps, tigers, and lions. He is a great trainer. David was working with a tiger to teach it how to jump through a ring of fire. Two days later the tiger learned how to jump trough a ring of fire. David was finished, so he was going to put the tiger into its cage. David forgot to lock the gate, so the tiger got out.
What was the cause of the tiger getting out?
A. The lock broke.
B. The tiger jumped out.
C. David forgot to lock the gate.
7. Henry James is a basketball player for the Orlando TwirlyBirds. Henry is a great player. He got sick one morning, so he missed his game. Orlando lost because they didn't have their key player who was Henry.
7.a. What was the effect of Henry getting sick?
A. He missed his game.
B. His team was upset with him.
C. He had to have surgery.
7. b. What was the cause of Orlando losing the game?
A. They were tired.
B. They didn't make it in time.
C. They didn't have their key player.
8. Frank Jones is a man who loves to go fishing. One Saturday afternoon Frank went fishing and caught a humongous fish. However, it got away because he didn't tie the string tight enough and it broke.
What was the cause of the fish getting away?
A. The string wasn't tight enough and it broke.
B. The hook broke.
C. A screw came out of the rod
"I don't want a babysitter. I am eleven years old. My babysitter is only three years older than I am," she loudly yelled to her Mom. Now, she really wished she had somebody with her as she heard the clicking, scratching noises outside of the living room window. "This is silly. It's probably the storm," the girl said. She regretted watching the horror show she had been tuned into for the last half hour. As she searched for the remote to turn off the vampire movie, the front door blew open with a thunderous noise. Carla whirled around to see a dark image.
1. Carla didn't want a babysitter because
A. She believes she is old enough to take care of herself.
B. She wants to watch scary movies.
C. Carla's mother leaves her alone all the time.
D. Carla's babysitter is only three years older than Carla.
2. What made Carla turn around?
A. The dark image that appeared at the door.
B. The front door blew open.
C. Carla's babysitter appeared at the door.
D. Carla couldn't find the remote control.
The story of Evangeline is one of deep love and sorrow. Evangeline lived with her dad in Nova Scotia, which is located in Canada. It was said that when war came these peaceful people were thrown on to ships and taken from their homes. Many families were broken up as well as many true loves. Evangeline's true love was placed on a ship that took him to the Carolinas, and Evangeline's ship took her to New Orleans. She and her love spent many years searching for one another. Evangeline worked as a nurse, and he was a soldier. When he was shot in battle, he was in the hospital where she worked as a nurse. They finally met each other again, but it was not a happy ending. He died in her arms in the hospital.
3. Because people were thrown onto ships,
A. Evangeline was reunited with her lost love.
B. Everybody was able to go to New Orleans.
C. Families were separated.
D. Evangeline lost contact with her parents.
4. Because Evangeline was a nurse
A. She couldn't go home.
B. She was there when her love was brought to the hospital.
C. She made a good helper.
D. She wanted to be a doctor.
Dinosaurs lived on the Earth for approximately 180 million years. About 250 million years ago during the Permian Period, the Earth's seas shrunk. Reptiles, including dinosaurs, survived this period. The dinosaurs were the strong, dominant reptiles of the period. By the end of the Jurassic Period, dinosaurs had reached enormous sizes and roamed the Earth as leaders. In the Cretaceous Period, the dinosaurs died out, and more mammals began to flourish.
5. The reason why dinosaurs were able to survive the Permian Period is because
A. They only needed to eat vegetation in order to survive.
B. They were stronger than some of the other mammals.
C. They were able to swim.
D. the Permian Period didn't last for a long time.
6. In order for other mammals to flourish,
A. The Permian Period needed to have lasted longer.
B. We presently have to live in the Jurassic Period.
C. Dinosaurs had to die out.
D. the Earth's seas had to shrink.
Paris, who was prince of Troy, received a wish from a goddess. His wish was to wed the most beautiful woman in the world. The only problem was that Helen who was the most beautiful woman was already married to King Menelaus. When Paris stole Helen, he started a war that lasted ten years. It was called the Trojan War. The two sides fought and fought until the Greeks, King Menelaus' group created a giant horse and wheeled it into the walls of Troy as a peace offering. Later that night the trap door opened in the horse's belly. The Greeks poured out and killed the people of Troy while they slept. Helen was freed, and the spell that had been cast on her died. She went home to King Menelaus.
7. Helen was released because
A. The Greeks captured Helen.
B. Paris made a wish to have the most beautiful woman in the world.
C. The two sides fought.
D. Helen was married to King Menelaus.
8. Paris had to use trickery or magic to have Helen because
A. She lived out of town.
B. Paris was already married.
C. Helen was married.
D. Helen despised Paris.
What animal is about three feet long, has a twelve inch tail, and black and white fur? The animal is terribly mean. The Tasmanian devil is a marsupial that gives birth to its babies. The baby is placed in a pouch to grow up. It takes about fifteen to sixteen weeks for the baby to get enough of its mother's milk to be able to leave the pouch. These ugly, mean animals live in Australia. They sneak around at night and kill small animals. Sometimes they eat dead animals to survive. If you run into a Tasmanian devil at night, run away! They are not the cute cartoon pictures that you grew up with. They have sharp teeth!
9. The reason why the Tasmanian devil can't leave the pouch too early is because
A. It needs to be protected by its mother.
B. A cord connects the Tasmanian devil to its mother.
C. There is a strong bond between the mom and the young Tasmanian devil.
D. It needs its mother's milk.
10. If you see a Tasmanian devil, it is suggested you run away because
A. They are ugly.
B. They are mean.
C. They kill small animals.
D. They only hunt at night.
1. What is the EFFECT in the following sentence?
The mother bird gathers dried grass to build her nest.