Kia Armstrong, Store Manager General Purpose: Grocery Team Buyers (GTB) are responsible for building relationships with vendors and using best available information and data to place grocery orders within the budget. They are also accountable for pricing items and accuracy with the POS. GTB contribute to team and store goals for sales, margin and productivity. They provide friendly, knowledgeable customer service to shoppers and back up cashiers at the register, and are accountable to a posted schedule which is integrated with the rest of the grocery and store-wide team.
Ordering includes but is not limited to; dry grocery, bulk foods, beer and wine, highly perishable items (Bread, dairy, meat), teas, coffee and spices.
1. Buyer determines product selections and orders product in accordance with the Farm Store Grocery Guidelines and Rules, and with the approval of the Store Manager. This includes but is not limited to researching product requests, recommending new products, strategizing for seasonal buying/displays, and assisting with the evolution of the store’s purchasing policies.
2. Monitors sales, movement, shrink and customer feedback. Recommends to Store Manager product changes when necessary.
3. Coordinates and communicates with all Grocery Team Members, Grocery Receivers and Cashiers regarding stocking, point of sale pricing, incoming orders, special orders, display changes, promotions and other grocery needs. Shares accountability for all stocking and floor displays needs, with focus on alcohol, bulk department, dry grocery, and personal care.
4. Assists grocery team in accurately pricing, rotating, labeling/signage, facing and attractively displaying product.
5. Negotiates favorable prices and terms, solicits promotions and recommends new suppliers as necessary.
6. Builds positive relationships with vendors
7. Receives product and updates POS system as needed.
8. Works with Grocery Team Members, Produce Manager and Nash’s Promotion and Outreach Manager and store Manager to plan specials and promotions.
9. Process special orders.
10. Safely uses tools and helps maintain department equipment and organization, as needed.
11. Acquires and shares product knowledge with team members and shoppers. Keeps well informed about Nash’s and other vendors products and specials when appropriate, includes by not limited to asking questions of co-workers, sales reps and brokers; reading labels, vendor information, trade journals; and attending trainings and attending conferences.
12. Knows and adheres to department and store policies and procedures. Assist in training new staff as required
13. Participates in store inventories.
14. Maintains accurate records and follow up with department paperwork, credits, payments, etc.
15. Participates in grocery team meetings, storewide all staff meetings, etc.
16. Cross trains other team members for store-wide strength and sustainability.
17. Operates the point of sales system and performs cashier duties as needed for peek times, breaks, etc.
18. Performs other tasks and duties as assigned, including but not limited to assisting all coworkers as needed.
-Experience managing inventory, buying and purchasing, or working in natural food retail industry required.
-Requires scheduling flexibility including nights, weekends and holidays.
-Ability to post schedule 2 weeks in advance and stick to it
-Ability to work quickly and efficiently to complete tasks in a timely manner.
-Ability to prioritize, take initiative and handle multiple tasks while being held accountable for the work within the grocery department.
-Detailed oriented, organized and thorough.
-Ability to effectively communicate and interact with customers and other staff members in a positive manner.
-Attention to detail and accuracy with words/text and numbers/prices.
-Ability to effectively convey information about products, the Store and the Farm to customers.
Ability to left and move up to 50 lbs. Ability to stand, walk, bend, crouch, climb and reach during majority of shift, up to 8 hours. Ability to safely use and operate tools and equipment such as box cutter, knives, pallet jack, ladders and other equipment.
Back up: Grocery Receiver, Grocery Team Member, Grocery Manager