Special Acknowledgments to Dr. Mary Ann Anders, James Hewat, Nancy Hanks, and John Murphey of the U.S. Historic Preservation Office in Santa Fe; to Jill Cowley of the National Park Service; to Dr. Hugh Witemeyer, Sharon Oard Warner, Joe McKinney, Al Bearce, Victoria Kittredge, Annie Shank, Matt Allen, Keeran Maharajh, Shirley Baros, Earth Data Analysis, Departments of English and Geology, GPSA (Graduate and Professional Students Association), and others, all of the University of New Mexico; to the USGS (United States Geographical Survey Office); to Dr. Art Bachrach, the Phoenix Rising Society, and other Taos supporters; to Drs. Earl Ingersoll (SUNY), Jack Stewart (University of British Columbia), L.D. Clark (University of Arizona), Keith Sagar (University of Manchester, ret.), Judith Ruderman (Duke University), Charles Rossman (University of Texas), Keith Cushman (University of North Carolina), James C. Cowan (University of North Carolina, ret.), Eleanor Green (University of Maine), and all other Lawrence scholars who served as consultants during the writing process; to Dr. Theresa Thompson (Valdosta State University); to Helen Croom (Bristol, England) and R. H. Albright (Boston), co-founders of the Rananim Society, who helped publicize the movement of ranch supporters; to the hundreds of Lawrence Society members who have supported this nomination; to Drs. David C. Barnes, V. Lane Rawlins, Susan McLeod, and Victor Villanueva, all of Washington State University, who contributed material, technical, and moral support.
The accompanying enlargement of the USGS map shows the total property square and the portion we are nominating. The boundary lines for the proposed Lawrence Ranch District are marked in black. (Starting at the northeast corner, go counterclockwise.) Use the gully for the north boundary, head west about 350 meters, and follow the tree-line around the horse-corral pasture. Crossing over Lawrence Ranch Road, continue to follow the tree-line southward around the alfalfa field till it intersects with the 8320 elevation line (swinging around eastward and cutting off the narrow tip of the field), then follow the tree-line again northward till it intersects with the dirt road leading to the Fellowship Cabin, and from that point go about 200 meters due east until reaching the property line. Then follow the property line northward approximately 200 meters until it crosses the gully.
The boundary for the Lawrence Ranch District includes the cabins, memorial shrine, outbuildings, fields, spring, and other sites that have been historically part of the Kiowa Ranch and relate strongly to the life and works of author/poet D.H. Lawrence. This area is referred to by UNM as "Ranch Headquarters" and represents the approximately 10 acres that Frieda wished to remain open to the public, plus an additional six acres of scenic pastureland. The pristine landscape within the boundary area retains a high degree of historical integrity. Excluded from the boundary are modern constructions which have no historical significance, such as the concrete reservoir to the southeast; the Fellowship Cabin to the south; Kiowa Village to the southwest; Lobo Lodge, the campsite, and a 200-gallon water tank to the northwest; and a storage garage to the north.
SECTION 11: FORM ALSO PREPARED BY
Name/title: Dr. Virginia Hyde (Professor of English Literature at WSU and President-
elect of the DHLSNA)
Organization: D.H. Lawrence Society of North America
Street & number (building #): Avery Hall 301, Washington State University
Interior of D.H. Lawrence Memorial with original fox sculpture (by 1956)
First Edition of The Plumed Serpent, cover art painted by Brett at
Lawrence Ranch (1925)
R. Manuscript Page from "Diary" Notebook by D.H. Lawrence (1924)
S. The Corn Dance, sketched by D.H. Lawrence (1924)
T-T3 Last Will and Testament of Frieda Lawrence (1955)
U-U2. Resolution by Board of Regents, UNM (1955)