At their spring conference, Religion Communicators Council (RCC) awarded Shanti Means Peace: The Story of the Fellowship of the Least Coin an award of excellence for design. This children’s book follows a little girl and the “least coin” she’s clutching on a journey around the world. In this paperback, Anna Bedford expertly tells the tale of the Fellowship of the Least Coin and illustrator Shelley Hehenberger brings the gift of bright, captivating illustrations. Order item PWR14470 from PDS, 800.524.2612; $7.50.
Additional resources available for FLC children’s book!
The resource booklet to accompany Shanti Means Peace is bursting with activities including prayers, recipes, stories and more. Download at www.presbyterianmission.org/ministries/pw/leastcoin.
Reconciling Paul also an award winner!
Reconciling Paul: A Contemporary Study of 2 Corinthians by Elizabeth Hinson-Hasty won Awards of Excellence for both the print and DVD formats from Associated Church Press. Congratulations to author, Elizabeth Hinson-Hasty, CCT Bible study committees, field testing groups, and the staff of Presbyterian Women for creating another award-winning Bible study.
Updated History Exhibit Kit available!
Ever find a need to review PW history or mount a display at a PW or other church event? Order the updated PW History Exhibit Kit, complete with pdf files of amazing women in the history of the church, a timeline of Presbyterian Women’s heritage reaching back to early colonial days, the 200 Years of Presbyterian Women video on DVD, and so much more! Call PDS at 800.524.2612 for item PWR15137; $20.
Back by popular demand . . . Cents-Ability “Food for Change” collection cups
For a while, Presbyterian Hunger Program’s Cents-Ability collection cups were “out of print.” Thanks to Presbyterian women collection cup supporters, the collection cups are back in stock, ready to gather “food for change” at all Presbyterian meals! Order item 2543214321from PDS (800/524-2612; store.pcusa.org); $5.00 for a set of 10 cups with slotted lids (wide enough to accommodate bills). And bring your loose change to the Churchwide Gathering. Cents-Ability cups will be in use at the meals!
Former Horizons editor joins cloud of witnesses
Former Horizons editor Ann Yeargin passed away on April 17, 2015. In addition to her editorial work for Presbyterian Women, Ann edited national publications for the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the National Council of Churches and United Presbyterian Women in New York City. She was beloved for her service, but also her kindness and generosity. She gave generously to numerous charities, especially Habitat for Humanity, the church, students and artists. Anne supported the arts and loved travel and nature. She is survived by her brother William H. Yeargin (Joan), her nephew James A. Yeargin and by cousins Robert Yeargin and Carol Yeargin Ridge (Norm).
Last-minute Things You Need to Know About the Gathering
Getting to the Gathering
A number of transportation options are available to get you from the airport to your hotel.
• Reserve a ride through Supershuttle of Minnesota. Options range from a ride-share van to a chauffeured sedan or van. For transportation from the airport, costs range from $18 per person to $99 flat fee, depending on type of vehicle selected. Call 800.258.3826 and mention discount code BK7BE.
• Take Light Rail Transit (LRT) trains. To get to the Hyatt from the airport, take an LRT train to the stop for Nicollet Mall (the 11-block area of Nicollet Avenue in which the Hyatt Regency is located). Pick up a bus at the Nicollet Mall stop to take you to the Hyatt Regency. Check www.presbyterianwomen.org/gathering for instructions to get to other hotels.
• Arrange a taxi at the airport or at the hotel.
• For those driving to Minneapolis, parking at the Hyatt is $17/day ($4/hour, four hours or less). Guests arriving prior to 8 am and leaving before 8 pm pay $6.75 for the day.
Planning your time at the Gathering
• Arrive early and check in at registration as early as possible. Registration is open from 11 am–7 pm on Thursday, June 18. There, you will receive a program book.
• Attend an orientation session (or two) on Thursday, June 18. They will be held in the Lakeshore room—one at 2:30, one at 3:30 and one at 4:30 pm.
• Look through the program book, deciding what your priorities are. Plenary sessions are scheduled at times that do not conflict with any other activities. For other options, there will be overlap.
Full—#25 Friday at 10:30; #28 both sessions; #35 all sessions (Westminster tour; individuals can still go)
Cancelled—#8, #21, #40, #37 (Friday only)
Download the Gathering app for up-to-date schedules, news and information. To download on your smart device (Android or iPhone), visit http://my.yapp.us/pwgathering. If you do not have Yapp installed, you will be directed to download it. After downloading, you will be directed to start using it. Select “I’ve been invited to a Yapp.” If you typed in the pwgathering address, Yapp will display the Gathering app as one of your invitations. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the communications office in Grant (Hyatt main floor).
Breakfasts, Friday lunch and Saturday dinner are on your own. There are a variety of options to choose from, in the hotels and nearby. Watch for restaurant lists to be posted on the Gathering website. Thursday dinner, Friday dinner and Saturday lunch are provided. Provided meals will be served in three locations—the Exhibit Hall, Northstar Ballroom and Great Lakes Ballroom. Meal tickets will be color-coded. Check the meal chart in the program book once you get to the Gathering and receive your meal tickets. Note that the combined dinner and program scheduled for Friday is no longer combined. Friday dinner will be a plated meal (rather than buffet-style, like the other provided meals) and will be served in the three meal locations, with the program following in Plenary Hall at 7:30 pm.
Engage with Presbyterian Women
Be sure to visit Presbyterian Women’s exhibit in the Activities Hall. Learn about the ways that PW is involved in leadership development, justice and peacemaking and mission. Celebrate the many ways PW and our partners engage in ministry throughout the U.S. and the world. And put your hands on ways to live out PW’s Purpose! While you’re there, check on your subscription to Horizons (or subscribe!). Look for a daily schedule of events in the PW Speaker’s Corner, adjacent to the PW exhibit.
Join one of two informational get-togethers to learn more about what’s new with Presbyterian Women and the PC(USA). These will be opportunities for open dialog with PW and PC(USA) leaders. Stop in on your way to dinner! On Friday, from 5–5:45 pm, in Greenway H and I, meet with PW financial leaders and legal advisors to discuss matters related to PW; on Saturday, 5–5:45 pm, in Greenway A and B, meet with guests representing the General Assembly.
• Friday, 2–3 pm—Half the Sky—discusssion on women’s empowerment worldwide led by Pam Snyder, CCT
• Saturday, 2–3 pm—My Masculinity Helps—discussion on preventing sexual assault led by Dr. Tony Jones
• Saturday, 4–5 pm—Families Held Captive—discussion led by Laura Polk, Office of Immigration Issues, PC(USA)
Don’t miss the Silent Auction!
Location: Activities Hall
Opens: 5 pm on Thursday, June 18
Closes: 5 pm on Friday, June 19 (bidding open just 24 hours!)
Proceeds will benefit PW’s Mission Pledge. The names of the highest bidders will be posted in the bidding space. Highest bidders should pay for and pick up items no later than 2 pm on Saturday.
Now accepting donations!
1. Only new items will be accepted with a minimum $25 value. Smaller items can be grouped together, like a gift basket, to total over $25.
2. Keep in mind that fragile and large items are not practical for attendees who will be traveling by plane. Handcrafted items are unique and attract many bids.
3. Email the auction coordinator, Katie Blume (email@example.com), with a completed donor form and, if possible, a photograph of the item. Download the donor form at www.presbyterianwomen.org/gathering.
4. Drop off your donation at the PW booth in the Activities Hall on Thursday, June 18 between 1 and 4 pm.
Step out for justice and peace!
Going to the Churchwide Gathering? Gather your pledges and join us for a March for Justice and Peace Saturday, June 20, 2015; 5–6 pm! Be a witness for gender justice, antiracism, inclusion, nonviolence, mission, eco-justice, peacemaking, and more. Bring your placard or make one in the Activities Hall (at the PW exhibit space). Download ideas at www.presbyterianwomen.org/gathering.
The march is both a witness and a fundraiser to benefit CARE and Presbyterian Ministry at the UN. Download the pledge form, find sponsors, gather pledges and bring them with you to the Gathering. Meet in the Westminster Presbyterian Church courtyard a few minutes before 5 (just one block from the Gathering hotel), and step out for justice and peace!
Not able to attend the Gathering? Join the march with your pledges! Proceeds will benefit CARE and Presbyterian Ministry at the UN. Download the pledge form here. Questions? Email Sheila Louder, CCT vice moderator for justice and peace.
A mile of quarters
You’ll remember that at the 2012 Gathering, the Synod of Southern California/Hawaii shared their quarter challenge in the Interactive Area. A quarter at a time, women from the synod save their quarters in banks made from PVC pipe. Slightly over a foot in height, each bank holds $50 in quarters. Money raised purchases midwife-assisted birthing kits through Direct Relief (headquartered in Santa Barbara). Since the Gathering, Presbyterian Women from around the country (in each synod) have joined in this project and donated over $20,000—one quarter at a time. At the 2015 Gathering, the quarter banks will be back in the PW resource area. Imagine the amount of money PW can raise in support of the Mission Pledge, and Birthday and Thank Offerings! There are 23,040 rolls of quarters in a mile (921,600 quarters) or $230,400 in a mile of quarters. Presbyterian Women’s legacy of second mile giving can continue—a quarter at a time. Join this activity and lots more in the PW section of the Activities Hall.
Mission scrapbook pages
Bring a 12" x 12" scrapbook page highlighting your mission program(s). Please include pictures and text telling us about your projects. On the back of the page, please include:
• church, presbytery or synod name
• contact person name, email and phone number
• a signed release for individuals in the photos (available at www.presbyterianwomen.org/gathering)
We will digitize the pages and share them as an online mission scrapbook. Drop off your scrapbook page at the PW booth in the Activities Hall. Only one page per congregation. Presbyteries and synods may submit up to three pages. Questions? Contact Jane McGookey, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting creative with the logo
Looking for inexpensive t-shirts to which you can apply the Churchwide Gathering logo? Look no farther! Order $5 sweat-free tees from the Presbyterian Hunger Program! Go to www.presbyterianmission.org/ministries/enough/sweat-free-t-shirtsto order the shirts, go to www.presbyterianwomen.org/gathering for artwork you can download. Louise Van Poll of Huron, South Dakota, made two t-shirts—one for her and one for her roommate (see photo, below left).
For instructions on making a Minnie or nautilus pin, go to www.presbyterianwomen.org/gathering.
If you did not place an order for a bag when you registered, you can still get one! Email email@example.com. The bags are $20 if ordered before the Gathering (which starts June 18). We will have some bags available at the Gathering (limited supply) for $25. The Gathering logo, a beautiful nautilus on orange background, symbolizes the theme of the Gathering, “One Body, One Spirit.” These durable bags, made of recycled material, are themselves recyclable. They were made by Scrappy Products, a woman-owned company in Minneapolis.
Bring with you
• Scrapbook pages, reusable water bottle
• Book (if you plan to attend a book group)*
• Coins for Cents-Ability and the birthing kits fundraiser
Supporting the Gathering (even if you can’t attend)
• Donate an item or a basket of items to the Gathering Silent Auction. See details, this page.
• Buy or collect $10 Target gift cards and send them to the Gathering with a friend or mail to the PW Business Office, 100 Witherspoon St., Louisville, KY 40202-1396.
• Send a scrapbook page to the Gathering. See previous page for additional details.
Contact Shelda Wills, firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping at the Gathering. For the PW activities area, contact Carol Winkler, email@example.com.
During and after the Gathering
Watch for complete coverage of the Churchwide Gathering in Daily Horizons during the Gathering, on our website (www.presbyterianwomen.org/gathering) during and after the Gathering and in Horizons (the September/October 2015 issue) after the Gathering. And, yes, you can take the Churchwide Gathering home! Order the Take the Gathering Home DVD in the PW area of the Activities Hall or mail the form found in your program book, to receive a DVD brimming with photos, all issues of Daily Horizons, the official Churchwide Gathering song, and highlights from plenary! $15 each. The DVD will mail in late August.
* See Daily Horizons 1 for book titles (and more items to bring) (www.pcusa.org/resource/2015-daily-horizons-issue-1/).