1. What do you believe the central conflict of this plot is?
2. – 3. Why do you think Mme. Loisel is so unhappy? Are her reasons for being unhappy valid?
4. Why do you think Mme. Loisel gets so upset when her husband tells her about the party?
5. Why do you think she picks only the diamond necklace to borrow?
6. Describe the party from Mme. Loisel’s point of view.
7. What happens after the party?
8. Why do you think the case comes from the jewelry store, but not the actual necklace?
9. How do you think the story will end?
10. How do the Loisels suffer as a result to losing the necklace?
11. How does Mme. Loisel change as a result of losing the necklace? Address her attitude and her physical appearance?
12. What does Mme. Forestier reveal about the necklace?
13. What is the moral of the story? (your opinion)
14. Do you think the Loisels’ future would have been different if she had not lost the necklace? Why or why not?
15. How is there poetic justice in what happens to Mme. Loisel at the end of the story?