1) I hate to be bothering you, but the man had still been waiting to be given an answer.
2) I hate to bother you, but the man is still waiting to be given an answer.
3) I hate to be bothered you, but the man has still been waiting to be given an answer.
2. Мене примусили детально розповісти їм про мої банківські рахунки.
1) I had been made giving them details of my bank accounts.
2) I was making to give them details of my bank accounts.
3) I was made to give them details of my bank accounts.
3. Пройшло багато часу і, нарешті, нам вдалося знайти квартиру.
1) After a long time we eventually succeeded in finding a flat.
2) After a long time we eventually succeeded to find a flat.
3) After a long time we eventually succeeded that we have found a flat.
4. Він відчував, що йому слід зробити щось із цим, не відкладаючи.
1) He felt he may do something about it without any delay.
2) He felt he could have done something about it without any delay.
3) He felt that he ought to do something about it without any delay.
5. Чи розсердився б Джордж, якби я взяв його велосипед, не запитавши?
1) Will George be angry if I should take his bicycle without asking?
2) Would George be angry if I took his bicycle without asking?
3) Would George be angry if I shall take his bicycle without asking?
247. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
The sister who (1) was an industrial (2) girl, and seldom treated herself (3) to a bit of finery, cried her eyes out (4) at the loss of the necklace.
He stretched (1) his arms like a sleepy man, took off (2) his coat, rolled (3) it into a bundle, and lay (4) it on the sidewalk.
While searching for the wreckage (1) of a unidentified aircraft (2), the Coast Guard (3) encountered severe squalls at sea (4).
Although a number of police (1) officers was (2) guarding the priceless (3) treasures in the museum, the director worried that someone would try (4) to steal them.
She was conscientious (1) of nothing but (2) her pain and her loss (3) after the car accident (4).
248. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
She was intelligible (1), her sensitive (2) face with light grey eyes (3) of a peculiar and searching intensity (4).
She knew that really (1) he was a non-literary (2) peasant, a poor, contemptible (3) immigrant who gave himself airs (4).
Since it was so difficult (1) for American Indians to negotiate (2) a peace treaty or declare (3) war in their native language, they used a universal understood form (4) of sign language.
I scanned (1) the book-shelves and found (2) that the (3) dictionary was missed (4).
An acquaintance (1) shows you only the best (2) of himself, he’s considerable (3) and polite (4).
249. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
We are told (1) that the (2) episodes reproduced in colour (3) are taken from comical (4) books.
It (1) seemed incredulous (2) to Kitty that (3) she and Walter had taken part (4) in that strange and unreal dance.
Seeing (1) that he was aslept (2), the mother quietly (3) left the room (4).
They felt (1) it unreasonably of (2) Ann to have left (3) them like this without a (4) word…
He seemed (1) indeed to be (2) on the point of (3) offering me further the (4) sage advice.
250. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Only (1) the second half of the book was comprehensive (2) to me, the first part being (3) too obscure (4).
Much-applauded (1) calls for (2) a General Election now emphasized the military (3) mood of the (4) Labour Party conference.
While verbalization is the most (1) common form of language in existence (2), humans (3) make use of many others systems (4) to express their thoughts and feelings.
The need for a well-rounded (1) education was an idea espoused (2) by the Greeks (3) in time of (4) Socrates.
The clothes (1) she wore in the (2) past was (3) really fashionable (4).
251. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Although (1) he liked (2) rather than disliked (3) his stepfather he felt contemptible (4) of him and had never regarded him as a person with any sort of authority.
He had risen (1) his fork and was on the very point (2) of opening (3) his mouth, when the hum of many voices suddenly arose in (4) the kitchen.
Arriving at (1) the airport, he went to have his luggage (2) weight (3) and registered (4).
The host broke (1) the awkward silence by (2) invitation (3) the guests to proceed (4) to the dining-room.
It seems (1) Aunt Effie has given (2) her a good advice (3) as to spilling (4) anything she knew.
252. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
He noticed (1) that a couple constables (2) were (3) examining the windows and the (4) geranium beds.
It (1) was dreadfully (2) that she could not control (3) the trembling (4) of her lips.
He might prove to be (1) the very (2) one-leg (3) sailor whom I had watched for so long (4) at the inn.
We have (1) it in our power (2) to make Nature (3) serve a man (4).
She had discovered very soon (1) that he had (2) an unhappy disability to lose himself (3) because he was self-conscientious (4).
253. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Before the first war (1) Baltimore had four elemental schools (2) in which all teaching (3) was carried out (4) in German.
But Stanley was prettier (1) than ever (2), he thought, in this primrose-coloured wisp of a frock (3), which made her to look like (4) a spring flower.
The officials object to them (1) wearing long dresses for (2) the inaugural (3) dance at (4) the country club.
He knows (1) to repair the (2) carburettor without taking (3) the whole car apart (4).
My vision (1) travelled to the (2) mantelpiece on (3) which stood a considerate number (4) of small silver cups.
254. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
She felt vaguely (1) and gloomy (2), she did not (3) quite know why (4).
At the sight (1) of the (2) man I was feeling (3) an impulse to laugh (4).
Stuart stopped (1) to write (2) his letter because (3) he had to leave (4) for the hospital.
She must retyping (1) the report (2) before she hands it in (3) to the director of financing (4).
It has been said (1) of this great hospital that its professional staff (2) is the finest in the world, that its nurses are more effective (3) and hard-working (4) than any other nurses.
255. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
He knew she would never drink the whole (1) bottle: it has a distinct (2) taste, and a glass of (3) it would tell Rose that it was bad (4).
The raising (1) sun sent (2) a pattern (3) of golden light through (4) the window into the room.
How much times (1) did Rick and Jennifer have to do (2) the experiment (3) before they obtained the results they had been expecting (4).
Each of (1) the students in the accounting class (2) has to type their (3) own research paper this (4) semester.
The table of content (1) will show that I have regarded (2) it as imperative (3) to provide two introductions (4).
256. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
His thoughts were speedily (1) diverted by the unpacking of the portmanteau; the contents (2) of which appeared to impress him at once, with a most favourite (3) opinion, not only of (4) Mr Pickwick, but of Sam also.
She hoped he would not be unhappy, but they had made (1) a mistake and the only (2) sensitive (3) thing was to acknowledge (4) it.
Mrs. Smith, along (1) with her cousins (2) from New Mexico, are (3) planning to attend (4) the festivities.
All the students (1) are looking forward (2) spending (3) their free time relaxing (4) in the sun this summer.
Despite (1) the continual (2) rain, the court room was packed (3) several hours before the proceedings commenced (4).
257. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Here (1), the sea of Cambridgeshire lay (2) too alone (3) under the stars (4).
He saw her now not through the rose-coloured (1) glasses of a childish (2) romanticist, but with the eyes of a man (3) in want of the understanding friendship of a woman (4).
Mary and her sister just bought (1) two new winters (2) coats (3) at the clearance sale (4).
A lunch (1) of soup and sandwiches do (2) not appeal to (3) all of us (4).
Nobody has ever (1) seen a lively (2) dinosaur, so paleontologists must deduce (3) what they looked like (4).
258. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Harran kissed his mother and sat (1) down in a wicker (2) chair on the porch, removing his hat, running his fingers (3) through a hair (4).
Along (1) the school corridors were “wall newspapers”, typed, or written by hand (2). There were (3) news about the (4) school.
Mr. Peters used (1) to think of hisself (2) as the only (3) president of the (4) company.
The instructor advised (1) the students for (2) the procedures to follow in writing (3) the term paper (4).
They (1) were constantly (2) together and Magnus kept no secrets (3) from his favourable son (4).
259. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Captain Concasseur said, “Philipot was here”. I kept silent (1), not knowing (2) whether he meant the dead (3) uncle or the lively (4) nephew.
Her soaking wet cloth (1) constrained her, she shuddered (2) with cold (3), she could hardly (4) walk.
Writers and media personnel (1) sell theirselves (2) best by the impression given in (3) their (4) verbal expression.
In the spirit (1) of the naturalist (2) writers, that author’s work (3) portrays man’s struggle (4) for surviving.
Punch never borrowed (1), never took (2) her gifts, gave her a sound (3) advice and real (4) affection.
260. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Mr Jingle only (1) answered with a contemptible (2) smile, and replied to (3) his menaces by a shout of triumph (4).
Silicosis (1) was, in that year, scheduled (2) as an industrious (3) disease (4).
Stephen Crane’s story is a clinical (1) portrayal of men (2) as an animal trapped by the fear (3) and hunger (4).
For a long time, this (1) officials have been known throughout (2) the country as political (3) bosses and law enforcers (4).
They were the most un-childish (1) children (2) he had ever seen; they were like midgets (3), with the old and worry-creased faces of midgets(4).
261. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Brahams’ Violin Concerto (1), for all its benign warm and gentle poetry, is one of the most fiendishly (2) difficult concertoes (3) of the 19th (4) century.
Nobody could understand (1) his speech because (2) he muttered an (3) unintelligent (4) reply.
Nora hardly (1) never (2) misses an opportunity to play in (3) the tennis tournaments (4).
Because of (1) the severe snow storm and the road blocks, the air force (2) dropped food (3) and medical supplies close the city (4).
The two boys (1) standing there with the mops (2) and pail looked so comic (3), they hated it so (4).
262. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
In (1) the harbour the yachts and the fishing-boats laid (2) motionless (3) on the still (4) water.
In the literal (1) sphere the desire of modern novelists to depict (2) everyday life led to the inclusion of expressions in their written vocabulary (3) which in earlier years would never have appeared (4) in print.
Hummingbirds are the only (1) birds capable (2) to fly backward as well as (3) forward, up and down (4).
The news (1) of the president’s treaty negotiations (2), with the foreign government were (3) received with mixed emotions by the citizens of both (4) countries.
London transport operates (1) an extensive underground railway (2) system and a comprehensible (3) bus service (4).
263. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
Passing by a radios-shop (1) he suddenly remembered (2) to buy some tape (3) for the recorder (4).
Travelling (1) abroad can be excited (2) enough, but just (3) now it is more exciting (4) being here.
The story was amused (1), yet (2) it did not make (3) us laugh (4).
When I last (1) saw him he was climbing (2) very slowly (3) across (4) the fence.
He was a man (1) of distinctive (2) personal character, not ready to accept more of the innovations of the court circles (3) than fitted in (4) with his style.
264. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
I couldn’t help (1) telling (2) him everything in details (3) about the past (4) two months.
He walked over (1) the room, smiling (2) strangely (3), but seeing (4) nobody around.
Nowadays (1) unemployment (2) is an (3) actual (4) problem.
Everybody knows (1) that New Super gub washes (2) clothes (3) whitely (4).
A retired (1) engineer, speaking (2) in a suburban town hall would outline (3) his new economical (4) theory.
265. Знайдіть граматичну або лексичну помилку в одному з чотирьох підкреслених фрагментів речення.
He might have left (1), but Axel, who was working very hard (2) probably too hardly (3) at one of those things that Simon could not understand, would not agree to taking (4) a holiday.