? on a newspaper entry means not checked in British Newspaper Archive just noted from basic search for 'architect' without actually reading the entry.
ABBOTT, ARTHUR J. B. Commercial Chambers, Vicarage St, Yeovil. PASI, MRSI, Mem Inst of Hygiene, advert at back of brochure for Wimpey houses, Cedar Grove, Preston, Yeovil, may mean that he designed them. In 1931 dir.
1930 Village Hall, North Cadbury, Som; VCH;
1931-2 East Somerset Memorial Hospital, Balsam Park, Wincanton, Som; Legg 108, AJB Abbott; FS 15.10.31; opened 16.7.32; dem;
1933-4 Church hall, Westonzoyland, Som; SRO D/P/w.zoy/5/4/1; conversion of National School of 1840 to church hall, dated 1934 on plaque.
1946 Ref to meeting in Horsington, Som re war memorial building; WG 14.6.46
ABBOTT, JOHN Plasterer, Frithelstock, Devon. John Abbott Sr 1565-1635 was followed by son Richard Abbott and then by grandson John Abbott Jr 1639-1727. Tiny notebook, family sketchbook over 150 years of designs in Devon RO. John Abbott Sr may have done Triumph of Time overmantel at Binham Grange, Old Cleeve as book has design for similar panel at Dean Head, Swimbridge, Devon, but there are too many dissimilarities to be sure. Binham Grange plaster is by same hand as Marshwood Farm, Blue Anchor, Carhampton, nearby and Penoyres suggest the Skimmington Ride at Montacute (J&J Penoyre, Decorative Plasterwork, 43-44). Linked also are overmantels in Luttrell Arms, Dunster, and No 18 Fore St, Tautnon. Penoyres conclude that Robert Eaton as likely to be responsible as John Abbott Sr. John Abbott Jr did work at the Custom House, Exeter 1680-1, his only authenticated work, in the grand manner of the Dunster Castle ceilings of 1681. There was similar Devon work at Dunsland (c1690 dem) and there is still at Youlston Park (one coat of arms refers to marriage of 1715) and Royal Hotel in Bideford (1688), over Long Gallery at Portledge (late C17), over stairs at Pynes (Upton Pyne c.1700) and Downes (arms of 1739-42 but perhaps earlier) and in Cleeve Ho (late C17) and Franklyn Ho (late C17)(both nr Exeter), Hensleigh, Tiverton (c.1700), and Shell Ho, Topsham (late C17). Somerset ceilings that may be by John Abbott Jr are Steyning Manor, Stoursey (late C17), No 1 High St Wiveliscombe, Fitzhead Court, Nettlecombe Court (c.1704) and Stockland Lovell (Fiddington).
ABERNETHY, GEORGE N. Westminster, engineer. Son of James Abernethy qv. The George Abernethy engineer to Swansea Docks BN 1857 1160, where James Abernethy qv was engineer from 1847, was Georgre's uncle, James's brother, 1815-64, who operated as his assistant on Swansea Docks, Birkenhead Graving Dock;
1892-3 alts Clevedon Pier, Som; Kelly 1906 thoroughly repaired and enlarged and timber landing stage erected for £10,000, reopened 3.4.93, new head 100' long and 50' wide;
ABERNETHY, JAMES Engineer MICE. 1814-96 born Aberdeen, son of George Abernethy who moved to South Wales in 1823 to manage the Dowlais ironworks, Merthyr Tydfil, moved to London as foundry manager in 1826, and worked on construction of London Docks. Worked with father at Hythe Pier 1832, then went to Sweden 1833, rejoined father to work on Start Point lighthouse, Devon, 1835. On own from 1836, worked on Goole Navigation, became specialist in marine engineering and docks. Worked on Aberdeen, engineer to Swansea from 1847 and Birkenhead, then dock schemes all over: Cardiff, Fraserburgh, Newport, Swansea, Silloth, Portpatrick, Watchet, Falmouth, Hull (Alexandra Dock). At Birkenhead Rendel’s plans were used, failed, docks rebuilt to Abernethy plans 1866. Grand Canal Cavour, Italy 1862-7; also railways inc Swansea & Neath 1862-3, Turin & Savona, Hayling Island, consultant on Manchester Ship Canal. His brother George 1815-64 worked as his assistant at Swansea and Birkenhead, died suddenly at Natal. James was in partnership with sons James and George qv from 1893;
1858-63 Watchet Harbour, Som; sent by Admiralty in 1855 to report on state of harbour, advised constructing large harbour; commission set up 1857; other plans by Rice Hopkins who died in 1858 and Brunel, both £20000, Abernethy selected £15,250; existing harbour wrecked in Great Storm 1859; new harbour built 1861-3 with 390’ West pier and cast-iron lighthouse 1862 by Hennet, Spink & else £75, lamp £90 by Stevens & Son; made of stone and wood, severely damaged in 28/12/1900 storm; contr William Tredwell, £15,068/10/2d; WH Norman, Tales of Watchet Harbour; Samuel Brown resident engineer, Kelly 1906.
ACANTHUS FERGUSON MANN see Ferguson Mann;
ACLAND BARON & SMITH. Devon. Architects. Anne Lady Acland was wife of Sir Richard Acland 1906-90 of Killiton, Devon. Lady Acland ARIBA +1992 was Anne Alford, married 1936, in practice with - Baron and Michael Smith; Baron and Smith had been in architects and buildings branch of the Dept of Educ & Science before going to private practice, inf JFoden. Jeff Sneasby who acted as consultant to Somerset County Council on schools may have been with AB&S (do not recall a Jeff Sneasby perhaps he was with AB&S – JFoden)
(1962-74 buildings, Dartington School, Devon; BoE; Arts Centre 1962 by MSmith; Blacklers 1964, Drama Centre by MSmith;)
1963 Primary School, Chard, Som, for Somerset CC; inf from meeting with SCC architects; possibly Avishayes Primary School, Chard;
1963-4 Parkfield Primary School, Parkfield Rd, Taunton, Som; for Somerset CC, JFoden thinks by Lady Acland;
19?? School for the Disabled, Nailsea, Som; inf SCC architects;
ADAM, ROBERT. Architect, London. 1728-92. Son of William Adam architect, born Kirkcaldy, worked for father and continued business 1748 with elder brother John. Grand Tour 1754-8, set up with brothers William & James. Leading architect of late C18; HC; died Albemarle St BC 8.3.92 consequence of bursting blood vessel in his stomach;
(1761-4 adds Bowood, Wilts: dining room, portico, orangery; also mausoleum complete 1764; WBR; HC; main house dem 1955 apart from orangery and mausoleum; marble chimneypieces 1763 made by Benjamin & Thomas Carter, one Portland stone, six marble;
c1762 Witham Park, Witham Friary, Som. Mansion for William Beckford Sr; land bought 1761, house apparently completed but never occupied (Beckford exh catalogue) when Beckford died 1770 and rapidly dismantled; BAR British Series 267 1998 59; HC; AH 40 997 81-98; illustrated Vitruvius Britannicus 5 38-42; Collinson;
1767 interior dec Temple of Harmony, Halswell Park, Goathurst, Som; HC; temple designed by Thomas Prowse qv; RL; for Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte;
(1767 des for Pinford Bridge, nr Sherborne, Dorset, with Capt Digby of Sherborne Castle; BoE)
176? Unex plan for Assembly Rooms, Bath; MF; not HC; AFtext very ambitious rejected as too expensive; J Wood II design 1769 accepted;
1769-74 Pulteney Bridge, Bath; MF; BoE N; alts 1792 by T Baldwin, N side reblt 1802-4 by J Pinch Sr; HC;
c1770 Unex des New Prison, Grove St, Bath; for W Pulteney, MF; not in HC; des 1772-3 by TW Atwood qv;
(1770 adds Castle Hotel, Calne, Wilts, WBR; HC has rebuilt garden wall at Castle House for David Bull, dem c1960;
17?? Unex des for Pulteney New Town, Bath; BoE N; not in HC or MF, planned by Thomas Baldwin and blt from 1788, MF;
(1775 monument, Milton Abbey ch, Dorset to Lady Milton; by A Carlini; HC;
ADAM, ROBERT Robert Adam Architects. Neo-traditional designers for Prince of Wales. See also George Saumarez-Smith.
1994ff Plan for Field Farm estate, Shepton Mallet, Som, for Duchy of Cornwall; architecture by Oldfield King; trad style; AFtext;
ADAMS, HENRY PERCY see Adams & Holden
ADAMS & HOLDEN, London. Henry Percy Adams (HPA) (1865-1930) was articled to B Binyon of Ipswich and then with S Salter 1888-98 (S&A); 1st pr Dorking workhouse 1898 HPA. Charles Henry Holden (1875-1960) joined 1898 as assistant designing for Adams (Bristol Central Library 1902), partner 1907 (A&H); Lionel G Pearson joined 1903, partner 1913 (AH&P). Percy Webster Adams partner 1925. One of the leading early C20 firms; ASG 84-5, 211-4; ASG 85 list of works 1901-6. Charles Holden did London underground stations from 1923, London Univ from 1931, RIBA Gold Medal 1936. Wings Cheltenham Gen Hospital 1929 & 1934; biography of Holden by Eitan Karol (EK). AH&P of 9 Knightsbridge in 1922;
(1902-6 Central Library, Bristol; 1902 competition won by HPA but designs were by CHH; sculpture by Charles James Pibworth 1878-1958; Br 2.9.05; Br 20.1.06; CF Dening resident architect; carving by William Aumonier?;
(1910 Adds Bristol Royal Infirmary, King Edward VII Memorial Wing 1911-12 by A&H; AFtext)
(1921 War Memorial gateway, Clifton College, Bristol; SNB; by AH&P, RA 1937 exh; ?by CHH)
1922 Willoughby Cleeve, Hodder Combe, Holford, Som; by CHH acc to EK; dated 1921 for G Falk of WD & HO Wills tobacco; plans by AH&P, D/R/wil/24/1/25; letters re drains signed by Lionel Pearson; HW Pollard & Sons bldrs;
1925-8 Great Hillcroft, Hill Lane, Bicknoller, Som; by CHH, EK; Henry Bickersteth Mayor +1948 former master at Clifton College, inf JSchwieso; similar to but larger than the Holford house;
1932 Royal United Hospital, Bath, Som; by HPA with AJ Taylor qv; SNB; but HPA died 1930;
(1948 Torbay Hospital Chapel, Torquay, Devon; by CHH;
ADAMS, HOLDEN & PEARSON see Adams & Holden
ADAMS, BERNARD CHARLES Somerset County Architect from 1962 in succession to RO Harris. Cf. Somerset County Architects.
ADAMS, HUGH Glastonbury
1819 Vicarage, St John ch, Chilkwell St, Glastonbury, Som; SRO D/D/Bbm/ 47; 2st 3w hipped deep-eaved, with Soaneian incised outer piers and French windows.
1821 Parsonage, Walton, Som; VCH; 3-storey; SRO D/D/Bbm/52; large double gabled plain house in Blue Lias;
ADLAM, GEORGE George Adlam & Sons engineers and architects, Bristol
1896 Bath Brewery, Weston, Bath T: BC 8.10.96 £8393 Henry Martin of Northampton tender accepted;
ADP. Architects, Hendford Manor, Yeovil. Branch of Architects Design Partnership originally in Oxford, with offices in Oxford, Birmingham, Manchester, London and New Delhi. Yeovil office run by James Middleton-Stewart and Chris Thornton (since 1991), with Graham McRuvie associate (since 2001) and Karen Turnbull as EMS and Sustainability manager. Practice did restoration of Oxford Castle 2004-7, numerous university buildings in Oxford, Liverpool, Canterbury, Preston, Birmingham, Warwick. Soar Valley College, Leics;
1995 1st prize Public Library, Glastonbury, Som; curving roof on external columns; 2nd pr to Somerset County Architects, 3rd to Edwards Associates; unex;
2002-4 St Margaret’s Hospice, East Coker Rd, Yeovil, Som; £2.5m
2007 Woodland Court student housing, Bath University, Som; £17.5m; ?not designed in Yeovil office; AJ 20.5.10
2010 (Adds Sussex University, Falmer, Brighton, AJ 20.5.10)
ADSHEAD, STANLEY DAVENPORT 1868-1946 1890 in office of George Sherrin, and several others inc W Flockhart; resident arch at WF’s Rosehaugh, Scotland. 1898 practice w Ernest Willmott, 1911 w Stanley C Ramsay (A&R). 1909ff taught at Liverpool Univ, professor of Civic Design 1912, prof Town Planning London Univ 1914;
(1911ff Duchy of Cornwall estate and ch, Kennington, London; A&R; ASG;
ADYE, CHARLES SEPTIMUS Town Hall Chambers, Bradford-on-Avon, Wilts; 1841-1906 or c1911, artic Manners & Gill, first County Surveyor Wilts 1889-1906. By 1889 worked with son Herbert Archibald Adye (A&Son). Lived Woolley St, Bradford, 1875 and 1903 dirs; biog in Wilts & Dorset Contemp Biographies, 1906: of Westbury House, Bradford, MSCS, MSA, practice church restoration and new buildings in Wilts, Som, Worcs, Dorset, Devon, Essex and Derbyshire, important buildings for Wilts CC inc police stations, county offices, adds to county lunatic asylum;
(1868 St Catherine Almshouses, Frome Rd, Bradford on Avon Wilts; WBR; three tenements, fourth added 1878, 1878 date on cross-wing)
(1872ff rest Holt ch, Wilts; WSRO 1555/31
(1874 alts Winsley House, Winsley, Wilts; Wilts Times 14.3.74; WBR2; dem and rebuilt 1902 by Silcock & Reay qv;
(1874-6 rest Keevil ch, Wilts; WBR)
(1875? rest Monkton Farleigh ch, Wilts; WBR
(1875-81 rest St Laurence ch, Bradford-on-Avon, Wilts; Saxon church discovered by Canon Jones and JT Irvine qv, restoration mainly directed by Jones with supervision and advice from Irvine but Adye, whom Irvine thought young and inexperienced was on spot. He may have designed W wall, c1875, BoE, but this is not clear; Irvine complains of his taking down the teacher's house abutting the S wall as destabilising, and resigned 1881; elev and plan in chapel by Adye; cf HM Taylor in Archaeol Journal 1973 for Irvine's letters;
(1876 St Andrew ch, Melksham Forest, Wilts; WBR;
(1876-8 rest Tallboys, Keevil, Wilts; WBR
(1878 add to St Catherine Almshouses, Frome Rd, Bradford on Avon, Wilts; cf 1868;
1878-9 vicarage, St Luke ch, Wells Rd, South Lyncombe Bath A 7.9.78; £1525 Hill & Gray builders;
(1879 Temperance Tavern, Silver St, Bradford on Avon, Wilts; opened 8.8.79; later Knee’s Corner; WBR; dem for road widening.
1888 vestry, Freshford ch, Som; SRO cf/1888/12
1889-90 rest Lamyatt ch, Som; WG 19.10.88; 1889-95 ICBS repair & new Ew, rejected;
(1889 Wilts County Council offices, Trowbridge, Wilts, WBR)
(1895-6 Newtown Schools, Bradford on Avon, Wilts; dem; by HA Adye, WBR; plans 1895 by 'MA Adye' WRO G/13/760/4, built as addition to Trinity School Church St the National School built 1836;
(1898 Police Station, Marlborough, Wilts C: BJ 1.12.97; also other police stations;
2001 house for John Moore, ?nr Bristol, Som; by HA; AJ 10.1.2002; timber-frame from Timber Frame Co, boarded;
201? Proposed Mount Community Centre, Frome, Som;
ALEXANDER, G. P. Taunton
1909 Houses, Gyffarde St, Taunton, Som; D/B/ta/24/1/40/505 des for three houses in terrace;
ALEXANDER, GEORGE London. 1810-86. Designed early palazzo Revival buildings: Obit RIBAJ 2 1886 11. George Alexander of Highworth Wilts who des Infants School there 1866 may be same, WBR; had connection with Corsham, wilts, as was Hon Sec of proposed Wilts Topographical Soc (Wilts Indep 28.1.1849 and promised to write History of Corsham for Society, and RH Alexander of Corsham was also a council member;
1841-2 Bath Savings Bank, Charlotte St, Bath; MF;
(1841-3 Betws Garmon ch, Caerns; ICBS; Norman; GA of London & Highworth, Wilts)
(1842 Penrhos ch, Caerns; Norman)
(1843 Westbourne Terrace, London;
(1847 Llanwnda ch, Caerns; Norman;
(1848 Sheffield Athenaeum, Yorks;
(1848 Oddfellows Hall, Birmingham;
ALEXANDER, HUGH see Alexander & Thomas
ALLEN & SON. Builders Evercreech. 1906 dir gives Allen & Son as hydraulic & sanitary engineers.
1906 Builders, church hall, North Wootton, Som; named on plaque;
ALLEN, ALFRED Builder, Shepton Beauchamp. Allen Bros 1906 Kelly. Built Stoke Villa 1911, Touraine & Sunnyside, Owsley Cotts, Brimsgrove council houses, all in Shepton Beauchamp, did much work at Barrington Court in 1920s; P Pearce village buildings book.
ALLEN, JAMES Bristol Statuary mason and architect. Apprenticed James Paty 1752, freeman 1780, one of three city surveyors 1788, resigned 1792, bankrupt 1793. Called ‘the principal architect of Bristol’ in 1804;
(1787 unex des St Paul ch, Bristol; HC; )
(1790-3 St Thomas ch, Bristol; HC; 1789 GJL; 1789-93 SNB; T: BC 27.5.90;
(1796 reps St Mary Redcliffe ch, Bristol; HC; GJL)
17?? Drawing for gatepiers Hinton House, Hinton St George Som; HC;
ALLEN, JAMES MOUNTFORD. Crewkerne and London. 1809-83. Son of Rev John Allen headmaster of Crewkerne Grammar School, brother of Rev John Allen headmaster of Ilminster Grammar School 1822-55. Pupil 1825-30 of Robert Cornish, surveyor to Exeter Cathedral, then London with Charles Fowler. Exh RA 1839-45, then on own. Set up in Crewkerne 1856, applied to be County Surveyor 1857. Lived at 46 Middle Path, Crewkerne, a house des 1838 by John Patch, leased it acc to owner Simon Andrew. Obit list of wks Br 3.6.83, copy in SRO;
1847 ?National School, West St, Crewkerne, Som; obit; infants school 1871;
1849 rest Knowle St Giles ch, Som; RL; by MJ Allen, E 1849 142; probably added the chancel to ch of 1839-40 by L Vulliamy or James Lockyer qqv; now house. Rev John Allen headmaster of Ilminster was rector here;
1851 Cricket Malherbie ch, Som; 1855 BoES, GR, Kelly; 1851 RL; nd obit; £4500; ill BN 31.1.62 church blt some years ago nr Ilminster to Stephen Pitt, one of smallest in county, spire, all windows glass by O’Connor, floor tiles by Minton; cf Archiseek website; plaque says founded 1851 by Elizabeth Pitt +1861 in memory husband Stephen +1848;
1852-4 Christ Church, South St, Crewkerne, Som; ICBS; Chick & Son contrs; dem; FS 31.8.52, opened 20.9.54; Br 14.10.54, £3458, Mr M Allen; Perp style; VCH 4 33 closed 1975 and dem; only front walls and piers remain.
1853 National School, North St, Ilminster, Som; plans SRO; Obit mentions National, Endowed and Board schools nd but Board School may be by Paull & Robinson;
1854 ?new schools by JM Allen opened TC 4.10.54, three rooms, Mr ? Crewkerne bldr;
1853-5 alts St Bartholomew ch, Crewkerne, Som; new screen and panelling to vestry in S transept; VCH 4 32; SRO D/P/crew/4/1/3 and 6/1/2; ?all removed as organ there now;
1856 rest Stocklinch Ottersey ch, Som; book on village history; for Rev Charles Allen;
1856 School, Shepton Beauchamp, Som; obit nd; 1865 acc to Kelly but error for 1856 acc to VCH 4 221 no archt; ?plans DD/EDS 2954 and C/E 28 not seen; extended N 1909-10, VCH;
1857 Pendomer parsonage, Som; SRO D/D/Bbm/128; large gabled now Pendomer House;
1857-9 Chard Cemetery, Som; DoE; twin chapels linked by vaulted porte cochere; £3500; lodge dated 1860; Combe Road; 1859 Pulman, Book of the Axe, 1875, 518-9; Consec 19.11.59
1860? Ayres House, No 6 East St, Crewkerne, Som; blt as solicitors’ office for Sparks & Blake; S Andrew, East St Crewkerne a guided walk, 2010, 29-30;
1860-3 rest Barrington ch, Som; ICBS; S aisle 1862 CB 1862 106; S aisle and vestry 1860-1 VCH 4; obit;
1862-4 Dinnington ch, Som; ICBS; mostly 1863 BoE S; reopened 1863: W gallery removed nave lengthened by 3’, ?Br 1863; ICBS plan shows no structural alts; obit nd;
1863 adds vicarage, Crewkerne, Som; obit; SRO D/D/Bbm/141 1863 minor rear kitchen to a four-bay house with porch in third bay, so ?not The Grove; 1862-3 VCH 4 30 blt c1840, further adds by JMA 1882; house now The Grove, Pople’s Well.
1863-5 alts West Coker ch, Som; ICBS; rebld N aisle, new S porch, ws; SRO has 1863 plans by CE Giles; CB 1865 39; obit nd; Br 1864 852, mentions stained gl E window, no artist named, says four more are planned by O’Connor; opened, N & S arcades replicas of old but one bay added to W on N aisle, N aisle taken down and enlarged, chancel arch reblt, lengthen chancel to avoid awkward effect of three gables in line, opening side aisles to chancel with proper arcades instead of square-lintel openings; Portman aisle repaired reseated larger arch to N side; C19 S aisle modified; old porch re-erected on s side and whole aisle remodelled to same date as porch; new 3-lt ws in s side and W end;tower arch enlarged, new tower screen and new W window under which Perp door will be placed. Ne open timber single roofs in n aisle, chancel and chancel roof divided by ribs the plaster between stencilled and emblazoned by Mr Stansell. Open timber nave roof of near same date as old but different in character; seated w plain open benches, nave oak ones reused, chancel fitted w oak stalls, paved w encaustic tile by Maw & Co, glass in E w given by rector, in w by Mrs Penny, four S windows gifted all by Messrs O’Connor; contr R Bartlett of W Coker, architect M Allen
1865? School, Shepton Beauchamp, Som; obit nd; 1865 acc to Kelly; but 1865 an error for 1856 acc to VCH 4 221 no archt; ?plans DD/EDS 2954 and C/E 28; extended 1909-10, VCH SRO C/E 28;
(1867 Drimpton ch, Dorset; BoE)
(1867-8 Thorncombe ch, Dorset; BoE)
1867 Cemetery, South Petherton, Som; lay-out, lodge, two chapels; T: SCH 18.5.67; VCH 4 191, WG 2.6.65?; tile paving plan in Maw’s archive N&Q 1994 340
1869-70 rest Pitminster ch, Som; obit; WG 29.4.70; RL, repewing; ICBS plan shows rebuilt N aisle wall and S porch; ?also replaced clerestory windows, chancel arch, N aisle windows; replaced arcades; top to S rood-stair turret; reopened TC 27.4.70, JM Allen; but church guide says rest was by GG Scott; stone pulpit sent to Hemyock in 1952;
1872 rest Henstridge ch, Som; SRO; 1871-4 ICBS new S aisle; partial rebld; tower rebuilt c1900 by E Buckle.
1873 chancel, Middle Chinnock ch, Som; D/D/Bbm/200; WG 17.4.74, church reopened, Charles Trask bldr;
1875 rest Closworth ch, Som; obit nd; but by H Parsons of Haselbury acc to SRO, Parsons ?the contractor; ?rebuilt after a fire;
(1875 rest chancel, Holcombe Rogus ch, Devon; BoE; obit; inc stalls, reredos carved by H Hems;
(1875-7 Corscombe ch, Dorset; BoE; WG 5.2.75;)
1875-6 report Harvey’s Almshouses, High St, Chard, Som; Tony Prior, Harveys, 2009, 18-19, JMA recommended removal of Ham stone chimneys and replacement in Stoke sub Hamdon stone, but replaced in terracotta by J Harbour bldr, 1876.
1878 ?Board Schools, Ditton St, Ilminster, Som, obit; but plans by Paull & Bickerdike qv. Went to tender in 1875; SRO has plans for a school by JMA for the National School 1853; JMA did the Endowed School in 1878 for Ilminster Grammar School;
1878 Endowed School, Wharf Lane, Ilminster, Som; obit; the present Greenflyte Primary built for Boys Grammar School,; £1592/4/9d; Langdon & Poole of Minehead contrs; Wharf Lane extension 1894 by W Wooler qv lengthened S 1912.
(1878 reblt West Knoyle ch, Wilts exc tower; WBR; WG 25.4.79, bldrs Oborne & Son)
1879 ?alts parsonage Henstridge, Som; obit, RL nd; ?SRO D/D/Bbm/241 1879 refers; Georgian house with adds;
1880 ?repairs Norton sub Hamdon ch, Som; an enquiry made to ICBS not followed up; screen of 1880 was by AW Blomfield.
Also: Oratory School, Bath (obit); National School, Combe St Nicholas (obit) much extended in 1920s and 1930s; National School & Infant School Crewkerne (obit) ?original 1847 in West St or infants addition 1871; Industrial School, Chardstock, Devon (obit); National School, Beaminster, Dorset (obit); National School, Shepton Beauchamp, Som (obit) ?1856 or 1865; National School Yarcombe Devon (obit); National School, Chard, Som (obit) ?where; All Saints ch, Thelwall, Ches (obit); Stepney Rectory London? (obit); Barnton Rectory Cheshire (obit);
In Crewkerne possibly also: ?Brimcombe House 1855; No 12 East St c1850-60; adds No 3 Church St;
ALLNER, JAMES Architect, Poole Dorset WwinA 1926 says considerable domestic work in Dorset, Hampshire and Somerset; also choir stalls, St Saviour Woolcott Park Bristol and alts adds to Tudor House, Winchcombe, Glos;
ALVES, GEORGE Architect, and surveyor, Norbyns Rd, Glastonbury, Kelly 1889, borough surveyor, sanitary inspector etc by 1906 dir; see also Hawkins & Alves; John Alves, mason, apprenticed his son Maurice to John Merrick qv of F. Merrick & Son builders in 1895, SRO;
1893 WM chapel, Leigh Rd, Street, Som; by Hawkins & Alves acc to FS, James Pursey contr;
ALVES, HAROLD NORMAN. Architect, 27 High St Glastonbury in 1931; still in practice 1950;
1920 Council housing, Newtown, Glastonbury, Som; VCH;
1931 plan of National Westminster Bank, High St, Castle Cary, Som; RBS archives;
193- Factory building for Morlands, Glastonbury, Som; known as The Bauhaus Building recently; inf Chris Black;
AMES, THOMAS Bath, see Wilson, Willcox & Ames
1883 chancel, St Mark ch, Lyncombe Bath; by TA of WW&A; MF;
ANDERSON, WILLIAM E. ELLERY. Architect, Cheltenham. 1887-1943. In Bristol with FB Bond c1913-14 B&EA, ?in Oxford before Cheltenham. Had office in Carmarthen in 1930s, from which secured church work in St Davids diocese, noted for good fittings. EA Roiser qv joined as chief assistant 1930 and was in charge of Carmarthen office at time of Neyland & Hundleton Pembs churches, took over when Anderson became ill in late 1930s. Firm Ellery Anderson, Roiser & Falconer in 1940s and 1950s under EAR continued in EAR name in 1960s. Inf in list & letters 1992-3 from Roiser, also letter 1992 from PM Bartosch qv that much archive lost in office moves. EAR letter says daybook of 1937 survives, little else. For work in Wales see Index Architects Wales.
Fittings St Catharine Wotton Gloucester 1926; reredos 1937; Holy Trinity Lydney 1933; St John Little Thurrock Essex 1933; chancel Nailsworth ch, Glos 1937-8; Holy Innocents Kidderminster, Worcs, 1938; completed St Paul ch, Gloucester 1938-9; St Oswald, Coney Hill, Gloucester 1939;
1911 St Bartholomew ch, West Lyncombe, Bath: B&EA (Hopkinson-Ball)
1913-14 rest Kilve Ch, Som; W Ellery Anderson of B&EA; ICBS;
1913-15 res Long Load ch, Som; B&EA; ICBS;
ANDREW & HOSEGOOD Williton see TH Andrew
ANDREW, THOMAS HAWKES Williton and Minehead. FSI. 1859-1947, born in Exeter of family of surveyors and prominent Methodists in Williton incl grandfather and uncle. Worked first in Manchester, started out in 1889 in Williton with his uncle Thomas Hawkes as Hawkes & Andrew qv, moved to Minehead as architect. 1906 dir as private resident at Northfield. Plans for his own house Northfield, 1903, SRO, D/U/M/ 22/1/181 are listed as by Andrew of Williton; brother-in-law was developer RH Holman. Firm continued in Williton as Andrew & Hosegood (A&H) then as AW Hosegood qv.
1900 Stables, Croydon Hall, Rodhuish, Som for JS Bakewell; three-sided court roughcast, with half-hip gables. THA of Williton;
1903 Northfield, North Hill, Minehead, Som, for himself; large villa now Northfield Hotel, Northfield Rd; by Andrew of Williton, D/U/M/ 22/1/181; OD173; roughcast with two-storey curved bay on left gable, with mullion-and-transom windows;
1904 Bartholomew Thomas Almshouses, Woolston, Bicknoller, Som; ?ref from article in files in museum at Old School, Allerford; James Chibbett bldr;
1904 Ivythorne, lodge and stables, North Hill, Minehead, D/U/M/ 22/1/199, for George Lindrea (of Ivythorne 1906); later Hill House, alts 1914 by TH Andrew, and alts to stables, later Benares Hotel, dem 2006; OD192 villa North Hill for Mr Andrew?
1904 Alts Henry Wood premises, No 20 The Parade, Minehead, D/U/M/ 22/1/219; OD212; inc carpet shop, showrooms, cabinet makers, upholsterers; Henry Wood No 20 The Parade 1906; conversion of residential part on Summerland Rd into showrooms, BMCS;
1908 Northwood, Weirfield Rd, 'house for RH Holman, North Hill', Minehead; D/U/M/ 22/1/338 plans for big red brick house, Georgian-ish; addition by THA 1909 D/U/M/ 22/1/343; Northwood, Weirfield Rd 1908 for RH Holman; OD322, adds 1909 to house for RH Holman OD 327;
1908 studio, Clanville, Martlet Rd, Minehead, for Mrs Bosanquet; A&H; D/U/M/ 22/1/329; OD311; Clanville is demolished, a stable block remains;
1909 Entrance Lodge and stabling, Northfield, Minehead, for RB Magor Esq D/U/M/ 22/1/350; ?to Benares; Benares is dem, lodge remains
1910 alts, Northwood, Weirfield Rd, Minehead, D/U/M/ 22/1/26 for self; OD350; ?but THA lived at Northfield, Northfield Rd;
1910 Gymnasium, Church Institute, Bancks St, Minehead; D/U/M/ 22/1/372; OD352;
1910 New house, Northfield Road, Minehead, for RH Holman Esq D/U/M/ 22/1/402; OD402; new eight-bedroom house; ?Martlet House 1910 for RH Holman, OD;
1910 adds Metropole Hotel, Minehead; OD404; A&H, three envelopes; cf 1912; ?large addition on N with domed corner turret, 1912, OD; no plans in SRO list but plans of 1908 for alts D/U/M/ 22/1/284 are by WJ Tamlyn, large addn with mansard roofs, but no turret;
1912 coal and coke store, No 2 Bancks St, Minehead for Webber-Incledon & Newberry; OD451, A&H;
1912 Middle Moor, Higher Town, Minehead; house for Lt-Col Page-Henderson D/U/M/ 22/1/470; OD455 new house Higher Town 1913; pair of houses at W end of St Michael's Rd, before Moor Rd?
1912 adds, Northfield, Northfield Rd, Minehead, for RB Magor; OD489, A&H; now Northfield Hotel
1913 adds Northcliffe, Weirfield Rd, Minehead for CH Greswell; OD484, A&H; OD thinks orig house by Tamlyn;
1914 Brook House, The Parks, Minehead for Dr William Bain +1966; SB; corner Parkhouse Rd; roughcast with boarded gable; bldr Burt & Son; OD;
1915 rear alts Hill House, Minehead, for Col W Barrett; D/U/M/ 22/1/566; single-storey kitchen add Voysey style with hipped roofs; also minor add D/U/M/ 22/1/565; OD547 by AH Andrew?; Hill House later Benares, Northfield Rd demolished;
ANGEL, JOHN. Sculptor, emigrated to USA, distinguished career over there.
1924 War Memorial, King’s Sq, Bridgwater, Som; Som CC war memorials website; AF notes;
ANGELL, Bath Builders. Not in 1906 Kelly.
1907-12 Contractors, rest and adds Lytes Cary, Som, for Sir W Jenner; acc to CL 1950; CE Ponting architect; made fittings inc panelled rooms in Grinling Gibbons style.
1930s Hall gallery, Combe, Nettlecombe, Som, for Boise Penrose; original stair removed and stair-hall given a first-floor gallery in early C18 style by Angell of Bath; notes by Boise Penrose at house;
ANGLO PARK PLC Winchester
ANSTICE, ROBERT. Bridgwater. Gave opinion April 1815 and again 1823 on roof of Stogursey church, Som, but not employed, R Carver used instead; church guide; Cf also pamphlet of 1815 ‘Stokecourcy Church. A copy of the reports of Mr Joseph Beard and Mr Robert Anstice on the state of Stokecourcy Church upon surveys respectively made and taken by them in November 1814 and April 1815’, RA agrees with Joseph Beard (qv) that tower should be take down immediately; RA report dated Bridgwater 27.4.15;
ANSTICE, ROBERT engineer, assistant to William Jessop, first County Surveyor, appointed before 1811, retired 1818.
1816-8 report on Kings’s Sedgemoor Drain; Williams 216; unex;
ANTHONY, P. A. Engineer. Born c1873.
1903-6 Engineer, Castle-Cary to Taunton new line for GWR; GWR magazine September 1905 says chief engineer but AW Armstrong was new works engineer for GWR; PAA was established at West Lydford, Som, by 1901 census in GWR office;
APG ARCHITECTURE Bristol. Architecture & Planning Group Ltd qv formerly Company of Designers Bristol formed from Moxley Jenner qv and BTP (Bristol Team Practice) c1992. Founder John Bignell, Nicola Vitagliano partner; old website included Greenland Mills Bradford on Avon Wilts; Porters Hatch, Meare (?Som) housing; Pound Lane Nailsea, Som, not there 2014;
1987 concept design for The Podium, Walcot St, Bath, with Atkins Sheppard Fidler qv for ARC Properties; website; SNB mentions only ASF
1988 Shires Yard dev, Bath, Som redev of yard behind Milson St; by Bristol Team Practice acc to SNB;
1990 Theatre for QEH School, Bristol; website; by Moxley Jenner, SNB;
199? Royal Mead offices, Railway Place, Bath, Som;
1994-8 The Piggeries, Frome, Som; infill housing in conservation area; SNB; 68 houses; HDA 1995 and 1998;
(1997 Greenland Mills redevelopment, Bradford on Avon, Wilts; HDA 1997)
1998 The Round House, Godney, Som; on APG website, but surely by Wilf Burton?
(2000 William Budd Health Centre, Leinster Rd, Southmead, Bristol; SNB)
(2001 Custom House, Redcliffe, Bristol; large complex of waterside flats)
APPLEBY & CHILDS Monumental masons, 71 Middle St Yeovil
1921 War Memorial, The Borough, Yeovil; des by Wilfred Childs;
1969-70 Church hall, St Mary ch, Walton in Gordano, Clevedon, Som; AFtext
APPLETON, EDWARD Town surveyor Torquay, Devon, ref in SCG 18.6.1864;
APLIN, WILLIAM Taunton. Builder Union Pl East Reach, 1866 dir, 155 East Reach 1872 also innkeeper The Shakespeare. Innkeeper only 1875 and 1877 also brewer.
ARCHITECTON The Wool Hall, 12 St Thomas St, Bristol BS1 6JT Partnership started by John Schofield; partners 2009 Colin Harvey, Paul Richold, Robert Battersby; www.architecton.co.uk John Schofield email@example.com . Inf on work from firm website and e-mail J Schofield 11.11.09.
(1978 Housing, Rockwell Av, Lawrence Weston, Bristol; AFtext)
(1978 Housing, Tenbury Wells, Worcs; JC20Soc list of best 1970s buildings; Berrington Gardens, HDA 1980)
1981-5 rest gatehouse cottage, Stogursey Castle, Som, for Landmark Trust; CTA mention 1986; John Schofield architect, Trivett & Co contrs; further work 1999 Philip Ford of Colleton contr;
19?? Reps Oxenford House, Dowlish Wake, Som, for P Pilkington, later Lord Pilkington; inf owner; J Schofield architect;
1985 Barn conversion, Reed’s Court, Lydeard St Lawrence, Som; John Schofield for self, owned and repaired the farmhouse ill James Ayres, Domestic interiors 111;
1993-4 rest Priest’s House, Muchelney, Som; for NT; RICS Cons Award 1995; John Schofield archt, Layzells contrs;
1993-4 rest Glebe House, West Monkton, Som; Stansells contrs; West Monkton Then & Now 38;
(1997 converted WCA warehouse, Bristol, to housing; Aftext)
(1998-2007 repair, Nothe Fort, Weymouth, Dorset)
1999 further work Stogursey Castle gatehouse, Som; Philip Ford of Colleton, Devon, contr;
(2000 W end access, Central Library, Bristol; SNB; )
(2000-4 Conservatin wrk, Godolphin House, Cornwall; owned by John Schofield, then Nat Trust)
(2000-6 repair Salem Chapel, East Budleigh, Devon, for Hist Chapels Trust)
2001-6 Visitor centre, Hestercombe, Som; conv of stables £1.4m; Stansell Award 2006; John Schofield involved with replanning garden access; Paul Richold designed iron and glass roof over stable yard; Robert Battersby also involved with design of new of replica features in C18 landscape from 1995: Temple Arbour, Witch Seat, Chinese Seat, Octagon Summer-house, Gothic Alcove, for and with Philip White of Hestercombe Trust;
(2001 Art Building, Stover School, Newton Abbot, Devon)
2001 rest St Margaret’s Almshouses, Hamilton Rd, Taunton, Som, burnt 1990; Somerset Bldng Award 2004; £350k; Layzell & Son contrs; fr SBPT;
(2005 Science Building, Stover School, Newton Abbot, Devon)
(2005 rest Lyscombe Chapel, Piddletrenthide, Dorset as walkers hostel)
2006 Church hall, Christ Church, Weston super Mare, Som; £550k; 2004-5 SNB;
2006-7 (Heritage centre, Tewkesbury, Glos)
2008-9 Educ centre, Tyntesfield, Wraxall, Som; conv of saw-mill;
2009-10 rest Charlton House, Charlton Mackrell, Som; Paul Richold archt;
2009-10 Educ centre, Hestercombe, Som, conversion and rest of water-mill & barn;
2009-11 rest Tithe Barn, Nailsea, Som; AFtext;
2011-13 rest Castle House, Taunton Castle, Som; Robert Battersby proj archt; for SBPT and Vivat Trust; Coombes of Ilminster bldrs;
Also repairs at medieval house at Croscombe, Som, for Landmark Trust; rest of Brean Fort, Brean, Som (Colin Harvey job architect); repairs Enmore Castle, Som (Paul Richold); JS repaired Stephens, Shepton Beauchamp, Som, for self; JS repaired farmhouse at Middleleigh, Street, for Bancroft Clark (inf J&C Gould); PR repaired Peacock Cott, Pightly, Spaxton, Som, for self; JS did reps Seavington St Mary ch, Som, HC Back & Sons, Bishops Lydeard contrs, for Redundant Churches Fund; JS did reps Northover ch, Ilchester, Som, also for RCF;
ARCHITECTS DESIGN PARTNERSHIP, Oxford and Hendford Manor, Yeovil. See ADP.
ARCHITECTURE & PLANNING GROUP, The Georgian Ho, Gas Ferry Rd, Bristol
1994-8 The Piggeries, Frome, Som; infill housing; AFtext;
(2000 Wm Budd Health Centre, Leinster Rd, South Bristol)
(2001 Custom House, Redcliffe, Bristol; flats)
(20?? 48 apartments, Cumberland Rd, Bristol; ISG Pearce contrs)
ARCHITECTURE RESEARCH UNIT London Metropolitan University see Florian Beigel
ARCHITYPE, The Morocco Store, Leathermarket St, London SE1 and office Upper Twyford Barn, Hereford. Jonathan Hines partner; Sustainable Architect of Year 2007; designed Education Centre Horniman Museum 1995; National Memorial Arboretum Centre 2000; Buddhist Centre Taplow Hall Bucks for SGI-UK 2001; Student housing Swansea University 2003; Stroud Co-housing 2004; Chiltern Hills visitor centre 2005; 2006 rest Library, Elephant & Castle, London; St Luke Primary Sch Wolverhampton 2009; won comp for Ledbury Library, Herefs 2009;
(200- Barton Hill Primary School, Bristol;
2006 Genesis pavilion, SCAT, Taunton, Som; Centre for demonstrating and educating on sustainable buildings, built of straw, timber, mud, etc. Shortlisted 2007 RIBA award best new public building in SW England; CTA special mention 2008;
2009 two projects for Ecos housing of Langport, Som to be built in Somerset; website; ?not built
ARCO2. Bodmin. Ian Armstrong, Nathan Davis & Martin Penk.
2006 Straw-bale classroom, High Ham Primary School, Som;
ARMITAGE, JAMES RIBA Knuston Lodge Martock. Est 2007, worked for Porphyrios Associates and John Thompson & Ptnrs in London.
200? Adds to house near Langport, Som; linked addition to C19 house
200? Adds to house near Wells, Som; garden room;
ARMSTRONG & THOMAS Architects Bristol see William Armstrong
ARMSTRONG BURTON ARCHITECTS. Sutton Coldfield. Derek Burton.
2007-9 Pegasus Court, Somerset Square, Taunton, Som; retirement flats fronting Somerset county cricket ground for Pegasus Homes.
ARMSTRONG, A. W. New works engineer for GWR. ?William Armstrong;
(1904 Goods Shed Bristol Docks with PE Culverhouse, converted to Explore by Wilkinson Eyre; SNB, ‘William Armstrong’;
1904-5 Castle-Cary to Taunton line, GWR: inc Skew Bridge and Viaduct Somerton, Somerton Tunnel, Langport Moor viaduct; cf centenary volume; PA Anthony resident engineer; opened 1906; contractors Wills & Son, Westminster; but GWR magazine September 2005 article says PA Anthony was chief engineer for new line;
ARMSTRONG, WILLIAM. 7 Brunswick Sq, Bristol. +1858. City Surveyor Bristol 1836-58; architect, engineer; EW Godwin articled 1850; Gomme; AF; a practice of Armstrong & Thomas fl 1858-72 may have been Armstrong’s practice continued by Josiah Thomas qv;
(1852ff houses, Sydenham Hill, Cotham, Bristol; Gomme;
1856 Clapton in Gordano parsonage, Som; Italianate; SRO D/D/Bbm/123;
(1858 Russell Place, York Rd, Montpelier, Bristol; Gomme;
18?? New slips between dry dock and Town Bridge, Bridgwater, Som; proposals, Mr Armstrong architect; SRO A/CMY/8;
ARMSTRONG, WILLIAM New works engineer, GWR, see AW Armstrong
ARNOLD, WILLIAM. Charlton Musgrove, Somerset. + 1637. Mason, lived at Charlton Musgrove from at least c1595, where children were baptised of William Arnold alias William Goverson; an Arnold Goverson mason at Longleat 1555 may be his father; Edmund & Thomas Arnold, masons at Wadham College, Oxford, may be brothers, a Godfrey Arnold at Lulworth Castle, Dorset, may be a son;