* At night, cowboys took turns sleeping and watching/guarding the herds.
Stampede – an entire herd of cattle would run WILDLY! To keep animals calm, cowboys would sing to them.
* Traveled along railroad tracks. One popular trail was called – The Goodnight Loving Trail.
Cowboys ranged from 15 – 69 years of age! 1/3 were Mexican Americans or African Americans.
Cattle Drives ended because:
1. The arrival and expansion of railroads
Spread of fencing on farms
Gold Rush is a period of time when people went West in search of gold. In the late 1840’s, gold was discovered in California! Thousands of people traveled there to find gold. This was called The Gold Rush. In 1859, gold was discovered in the Rocky Mountains of Denver, Colorado. A new Gold Rush was ON!
Boomtowns were created because of the MASSIVE amount of people moving and settling in towns to find gold.
HOWEVER, when all the gold was gone…. GHOSTTOWNS were created! (People left!)
Entrepreneur – a person starts a new business. Example: Levi Strauss invented BLUE JEANS!
Search and discovery of gold caused:
Thousands of people to move west
Boomtowns to be made (success happened!) Example: Chicago, San Francisco
Conflict on the Plains 1860’s – Thousands of settlers moved to Great Plains.
CONFLICT CHART – Know View Points! (Act out with parent for a review) US Government Lakota Tribe 1. Wanted the nation to grow and expand 1. Felt that their way was threatened.
2. Felt American Indians should be moved 2. Agreed to move to the Black Hills reservation
onto reservations to avoid conflict
3. Believed that nothing should keep them 3. Refused to sell Black Hills reservation