The Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award is sponsored by the Missouri Library Association’s Youth Services Community of Interest.
The purpose of the Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award is:
1. To encourage language development and pre-reading/early literacy skills through reading aloud.
2. To provide parents and caregivers with a selection of quality picture books to read aloud to young children.
3. To introduce children to a variety of authors and illustrators of children’s books,
4. To encourage an appreciation of diverse artistic and literary styles in current children’s literature.
5. To encourage the continuation of publication of quality picture books.
6. To encourage the development of visual perception/discrimination.
7. To introduce children to diverse themes, cultures and topics.
The Missouri Building Block Committee encourages teachers, librarians, parents, and caregivers to read these stories and ask children for their votes. Please spread the word and participate every year! Over 17,000 children voted last year. With your help we hope to increase this number each year.
More information on the Missouri Building Block Award, along with related books and activities to use with each nominee (past and present) can be found at http://molib.org/awards/building-block-award/
More ideas are available on Pinterest at http://www.pinterest.com/mobuildingblock/.
The Missouri Library Association has created a listserv dedicated to the award to which we invite you to subscribe. You can find more info at http://molib.org/get-involved/email-lists/
If you’re interested in participating in the Building Block committee, either as a member/reader or as a listener, please feel free to contact Michelle Ballard email@example.com 2015-16 Chair.
How to Vote:
The voting period runs from September 1 until December 31. The award is designed for kindergarteners and younger, but any child who benefits from the Building Block Award may vote for their favorite title from the list. Children must listen to at least 5 of the 10 nominees before voting. If there are just a handful of children voting, the easiest way to vote is to go to our website and submit each individual vote electronically. The electronic component of our website will be available starting September 1. If a whole classroom or grade level votes, send the total number of votes for each book by email, mail, or fax to the Awards Chair. The Awards Chair for 2015 is:
Kansas City Public Library--Plaza Branch
4801 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64112
Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award 2015 Nominees
Instead of using staples, I recommend tape. For a fun adaptation you could make oars out of cardstock and use paper fasteners to attach them to the boat. Make the slit in the boat long enough that the oars can move easily.
5 Little Boats flannel board http://sunflowerstorytime.com/2011/03/25/boats/ Page also includes other boat activities and stories.