TALES OF THE STRANGE AND MYSTERIOUS REVIEW
13. What is the difference between a frame story and an inner story?
14. How did both of the inner stories relate to each other in The Inn of Lost Time?
Point of View:
18. What do the five spots of paint on wall represent in “There Will Come Soft Rains”?
19. What type of short story is “There Will Come Soft Rains”? _________________
20. Why does Billy feel lucky to find the boardinghouse, at first?
21. Describe the setting of “The Tell Tale Heart”. How does the setting add to the element of suspense and mystery in the story?
22. How does the framework technique add to the story “Inn of Lost Time?”
23. What are some claims the narrator makes in Tell-Tale Heart about himself?
24. Why are those claims hard to believe?
25. What was the first clue that the monkey’s paw was not a good thing?
27. What do you think the 3rd wish was for?
29. Why does the sergeant Major Morris throw the paw in the fire?
29. Why didn’t the Sergeant Major Morris want the paw?
30. Describe the difference between a Samurai and a Ronin.
31. What is Zenta’s purpose in visiting the farmer’s house?
32. Explain Urashima Taro’s story?
33. What was significant about the girl in the inner story and the farmer’s wife?
34. Explain the theme in each of the stories.
• “The Landlady”
• “The Tell Tale Heart”
• “The Monkey’s Paw”
• “There Will Come Soft Rains”