1. During the Great Depression, what advertising and marketing strategy did Pepsi use? 2. Describe the comic strip introduced to promote the new strategy? What advertising strategy was used in the comic strip?
3. What was Pepsi’s new slogan at this time? What was the effect of this action?
4. Describe Pepsi advertising during World War II? Who was the company trying to appeal to?
5. What were the slogans promoting Pepsi’s lower cost? What advertising technique was used in these?
6. How did Pepsi show its patriotic feelings?
Section 8 and 9 Pepsi Expands Around the World
1. Besides expansion, what other changes did Pepsi make after World War II?
2. What retail phenomenon forced Pepsi to make changes?
3. What advertising slogan replaced the “Nickel, Nickel” slogan? What advertising strategy did this new slogan use?
4. How did Pepsi’s president’s wife affect the company advertising strategy? What new logo was adopted and what was the new focus change from price?
5. What does the slogan “More Bounce to the Ounce” make people thing about drinking Pepsi? Is this a true suggestion?
6. How did Pepsi’s new slogans reflect the new weight conscious Americans? What slogans were used? How does this new strategy utilize the technique of Basic Need?
7. In 1958 what two changes were made to the Pepsi look and advertising appeal?
8. What group of people were the target of the new theme “Sociable”? What was the new slogan and what advertising techniques did it utilize?
The Pepsi Cola Story – An Advertising History
Internet Web Source Assignment
log on to website: www.pepsi.com
look for Pepsi legacy on left sidebar – click
screen with The Pepsi Cola Story will come up
under the title look for “see how we have been making history for over 100 years”
click on red arrow and the will come up – scroll down as your read and take notes from questions provided. Use you study guide notes for advertisement techniques.
Section 10 and 11 The Pepsi Generation
1. What does the slogan “You’ve Got a Lot to Live, Pepsi’s got a lot to give” imply to consumers? What advertising strategies are used here?
2. What significance did the 1960’s advertising slogan “Come Alive! You’re the Pepsi Generation!” have on American advertising?
3. What other slogans were used in relation to the Pepsi Generation theme? What was Pepsi’s purpose for this advertising campaign?
4. For 65 years, Pepsi sold only one product. What change came about in 1964?
5. What type of consumer did this new change target?
6. What new beverage became popular in 1964? What was the slogan for this drink?
7. What important changes in the Pepsi company occurred in 1965? Why was each of these changes important?