This three-story brick building built in 1855, Lindsley Hall of the University of Nashville, was used as a hospital by both armies. The foundation was white-washed with lime to prevent "contagion." The main university buildings stood on College Hill, near the site of today's Howard School. Many of the larger buildings in Nashville were used as hospitals by the Federals during their occupation.
It once was Lindsley Hall, University of Nashville. Then became part of Peabody Normal University. Then Vanderbilt University. Site of the old “Howard School.” Then the Nashville Children’s Museum. Now the Metro Planning Commission.
LINDLSEY HALL - Located at 724 2nd Avenue South, Nashville architect Adolphus Heiman designed this 1853 Collegiate Gothic Revival style structure, the only surviving building from the University of Nashville. Originally used for classrooms and a chapel, Lindsley Hall was the home of the Nashville Children’s Museum from 1944-73 and now houses the Metro Planning Commission. Its present name honors Dr. Philip Lindsley and his son, Dr. John Berrien Lindsley, who served as presidents of the university. Designated 11/19/2004; Ordinance No. BL2004-406