Final Exam, Take-Home Essay Part I. Synthetic Analyses (50 points possible). From the list at the bottom of this page, choose one major theme or issue in digital culture. In your blue book, write the theme/issue as a title and then write a short essay in which you:
2. discuss the significance of their differences (whether oppositional or subtle) as constituting a narrative, debate, or dialogue,
3. explain how this narrative, debate, or dialogue exemplifies a major question or challenge in digital culture.
Your answer might address these kinds of questions:
How do the writers differ in their approaches and conclusions?
In what ways do they agree?
Why do they differ (i.e., different disciplinary, theoretical, political, generational, gender, cultural perspectives)?
What important question and/or challenge in digital culture is revealed in their differences?
Be as specific as you can in summarizing and paraphrasing the positions of the writers you choose, quoting, if possible, actual terms and phrases from the essays. The quality of your answer, however, depends not only on your recall of these texts, but how much you make of the contrasts/comparison you find among them.
The Six Themes/Issues (choose one)
WRIT 5230 | Stroupe
Web Design and Digital Culture
Final Exam – In-class, Closed Book General Directions
Be sure to read all directions for each section below carefully.
Please write clearly and legibly in blue or black ink
Write your name on this sheet and place it inside your bluebook before turning it in.
Part II: Identification (20 points possible). In your blue book, write “Part II” and list numbers 1 – 10. Then write the letter of the best match next to each item number. Note that four of the possible matches are not used. Matches:
2. “In order for news stories and press releases to be effective on your homepage, you need to craft effective headlines and decks (the summary of the story below the headline). “
3. “Make sure the CSS Style panel is open (Window -> CSS Styles); see page 117.”
Part III. Short Answer (30 points possible).In your blue book, write “Part III” and list numbers 1-10. Then write the correct word, name, or short phrase needed to complete these sentences next to each item number.
Specificity and accuracy are essential. Note that the multiple blanks in the same quotation call for the same word. 1. “In order for news stories and press releases to be effective on your homepage, you need to craft effective headlines and ____________ (the summary of the story below the headline). “
2. Hue, Light and Dark, Cool and Warm, Complementary, Simultaneous Contrast, ______________, Proportion.