1. B 2. A 3. D 4. C 5. D 6. C 7. B 8. B 9. D 10. A
1. The story took place in winter.
2. He pulled up in front of her Mercedes-Benz/car and got out.
3. She was worried.
4. She had a flat tire.
5. She rolled down the window and started to talk to him.
6. He told her that if she really wanted to repay him, she could help someone else who was in need.
7. She went in to grab a bite and take the chill off.
8. The lady noticed that the waitress was heavily pregnant.
9. She had paid almost fifty times as much as the cost of the meal.
10. She was thinking about the money and what the lady had written.
1. A 2. C 3. D 4. B 5. B
1. Henry doesn’t give his safety a thought when he plays sports or travels alone overseas.
2. His parents are worried sick about him.
3. Mr. Lin pulled up in front of a small bakery because he was starving.
4. He decided to buy all the bread in sight.
5. Stephenie’s job requires her to be on her feet for a long period of time.
6. By the way, she has worked in the company for more than 15 years.
7. Penny’s father dropped her at the gate of her dorm and drove off.
8. Loneliness hit home when she sat alone in the room.
9. Susan has/had learned to play the drums since she was eight.
10. The dictionary has four times as many pages as the novel (does).
11. While Joe was changing the tire, the lady rolled down the window and started to talk to him.
12. She said she was just passing through.
Part 1 1. D 2. A 3. B 4. D 5. C
Part 2 1. D 2. C 3. C 4. A 5. B
Part 3 1. C 2. D 3. A 4. A 5. A
Unit 2 Let’s Dig In!
1. After all the dishes were served, everybody dug in.
2. In Chinese culture, children can only dig in after the elders in the family take their seat.
3. The essay is regarded as the author’s most excellent work.
4. To the Chinese, Chinese New Year and Mid-Autumn Festival are regarded as the holidays of family reunion.
5. Louis considers it interesting to play online games.
6. Susanna finds it difficult to ride a motorcycle.
7. All the villagers tried hard to dig into that woman’s past.
8. The company always digs into a person’s past before hiring him/her.
9. Computers play an important role in modern society.
10. Traveling plays an important role in Jasmine’s life.
11. Penelope goes to sleep/bed early. In contrast, her younger brother often stays up.
12. This summer is unusually hot. In contrast to last year, the average temperature is three degrees higher.
13. There are seven people in my family in addition to me.
14. In addition to rice, Phoebe also likes (eating) noodles.
15. Whoever talks to Albert thinks he is lying.
16. It costs you the same whichever/whatever way you choose to pay.
17. Shirley picked/picks a book at random from the bookshelf.
18. Student representatives will be selected/chosen/picked at random from all the seniors.
19. Sarah always keeps her mother’s words in mind.
20. The company always keeps all customers in mind when they design their products.
21. Betty will have a new computer. Better yet, it is free.
22. The Wangs will spend two days at a lakeside hotel. Better yet, they will take a boat ride on the lake.
23. The traffic jam kept Bill from arriving at office on time.
24. The terrible accident keeps/kept Monica from pursuing her dream.
1. C 2. D 3. A 4. A 5. B 6. D 7. A 8. C 9. B 10. D
1. It is the horse meat.
2. Geography, customs, and traditions are the most important factors.
3. Because it can thrive in a hot climate.
4. They get the fat and protein from the blubber of whales.
5. Because it can adapt itself to different climates.
6. Because the shape of a lobster is similar to that of an aged person with a hunched back.
7. He or she will be blessed with good luck for the coming year.
8. They gather around the table with their family to make and eat dumplings.
9. It looks like that of a “yuanbao,” a type of money that was used in ancient China.
10. It represents wealth and satisfaction.
1. D 2. B 3. A 4. C 5. D
1. The manager of the department store will choose the winner at random from the crowd.
2. The lucky person can bring home a big prize. Better yet, he or she can buy anything at a special discount that day.
3. The secret religious ceremony plays an important role in the tribal people’s lives.
4. Several historians want to dig into the secret behind it.
5. Jason keeps his mother’s words in mind.
6. He always washes his hands before he digs in his meal.
7. In addition to all the songs she wrote in her album, the singer designed the album cover herself.
8. Jamie is a shy and quiet girl. In contrast, her twin sister is very talkative.
9. Jerry’s toothache keeps him from enjoying his steak happily.
10. Whoever wears yellow in the party today will get a free drink.
11. Fried insects are regarded as mouth-watering dishes in some parts of the world.
12. However, some people may find it disgusting to eat any of those foods.
1. In a Taiwanese night market, people can enjoy delicious foods or snacks, buy clothes at low prices, and play some arcade games.
2. When I go to a night market, I love to eat salt-crispy chicken and play games.
3. I like night markets a lot because they show how passionate Taiwanese are and how colorful nightlife is in Taiwan.
4. I will tell foreigners that night markets are an important part of Taiwanese culture and they are places worth visiting.
People can taste mouth-watering foods or snacks, shop around for clothes at reasonable prices, and play interesting arcade games in a typical Taiwanese night market. When I visit a night market, I always buy salt-crispy chicken and play some games. I really love Taiwanese night markets because they show how passionate Taiwanese are and how colorful nightlife is in Taiwan. If I had any foreign friends, I would surely introduce our night market culture to them because Taiwanese night markets are places really worth visiting.
Part 1 1. D 2. D 3. C 4. B 5. B
Part 2 1. A 2. D 3. C 4. A 5. B
Part 3 1. D 2. A 3. D 4. A 5. C
Unit 3 Picking up the Pieces
1. After the accident, Diane tries/tried to pick up the pieces.
2. Survivors began to pick up the pieces after the war had ended.
3. The school was in ruins after the earthquake.
4. The explorers discovered an ancient city in ruins in the forest.
5. It takes Kevin forty minutes to go to school by bus every day.
6. It took Vanessa a summer to learn to swim.
7. Chloe won the lottery. She doesn’t/didn’t want to tell anyone though.
8. Matt plans to buy a new cell phone. He does not have enough money though.
9. Over time, the wound on my left arm healed.
10. Fred hopes his fear of water will disappear over time.
11. Some girls like to wear skirts, and others do not.
12. Some of the boys in Linda’s class play basketball, and the others play volleyball.
13. Vivien received a variety of presents/gifts on her birthday.
14. The product is no longer available for a variety of reasons.
15. Kate went on with her phone call in the restaurant.
16. The speaker drank some water and went on with her speech.
17. Ian does not believe that his parents could have lied to him.
18. Ellen thinks that her best friend should have been polite.
19. If Janice had found a job, she would not have left her hometown.
20. If Marty had had money on hand, he would have helped the homeless (people).
21. Without a doubt, Taipei is the biggest city in Taiwan.
22. Without a doubt, Mark is the laziest person in his family.
23. Watching TV enables Dorothy to relax.
24. Foreign investment enables the small country to thrive.
1. C 2. B 3. D 4. A 5. D 6. B 7. B 8. C 9. C 10. A
1. It is a small town in Taiwan’s Nantou County.
2. One of the worst earthquakes in Taiwan’s history caused tremendous suffering to the whole island.
3. Continuous assistance from outside sources played another vital role.
4. They can get a rough idea of how serious the damage is soon after a natural disaster strikes thanks to live news broadcasts on TV.
5. Donations of food, clean water, and clothes can be most helpful.
6. They should pay continuous attention to the victims’ ever-changing needs.
7. Emotional support is also important during the recovery process.
8. They may feel deeply depressed and lose the will to go on with their lives.
9. They offered their help without delay when Taiwan suffered another terrible natural disaster－flooding after Typhoon Morakot.
10. They had learned that time may heal all wounds, but love, care, and support drive the clouds of misery away.
1. B 2. A 3. B 4. C 5. D
1. The task seems difficult. Tim is still willing to try to complete it though.
2. Without a doubt, he is very brave and responsible.
3. Victims put a lot of effort into picking up the pieces.
4. Aid from government and charities enabled them to recover quickly from the disaster.
5. Most of the buildings in the village lay in ruins after the powerful/strong earthquake.
6. Villagers believed that their life would go back to normal over time.
7. Some prefer window seats to enjoy beautiful views; others prefer aisle seats to move more easily.
8. It takes Viola half an hour to put on make-up every morning.
9. Jill believes she should have done her best at the competition.
10. If Wendy had enjoyed learning, she would have liked to go to school.
11. Victims often experience a variety of negative emotional reactions after a disaster.
12. Those who have lost their families may feel deeply depressed and lose the will to go on with their lives.
1. Natural disasters may destroy homes and take away people’s lives.
2. People in Taiwan face the threat of earthquakes and typhoons.
3. I think typhoons are more destructive than earthquakes.
4. I will never forget Typhoon Morakot, which hit Taiwan in 2009.
5. Watching the news on TV, I was sad to learn that many people lost their homes and families and I felt very sad.
Natural disasters destroy homes and claim lives. People in Taiwan live under the threat of earthquakes and typhoons. In my opinion, typhoons are more destructive than earthquakes. I will never forget Typhoon Morakot, which hit Taiwan in 2009. At that time, watching the news on TV, I learned that many people lost their homes and families and my heart went out to them. Though I did not have much money, I tried to donate part of my allowance so that I could help the victims in my own way.
1. Polly has been talking on the phone for three hours.
2. The committee had been discussing the topic for the entire afternoon. However, they ended up reaching no conclusion.
3. Shawn sings as if he were a superstar.
4. Christine runs so fast as if she were chased by a horrible monster.
5. Andrew called his girlfriend but hung up right away.
6. Terry angrily hung up and left the room.
7. There is nothing but a chair in the room.
8. William said that he heard a strange sound outside, but we heard nothing but the sound of wind blowing.
9. The singer’s life is similar to a drama.
10. The hat Amanda just bought is very similar to mine.
11. Darren decided to study in the library rather than go home to have dinner.
12. Patricia took her friends to an Italian restaurant rather than a Chinese one.
13. Hugh forgot his wife’s birthday. As a result, he did not buy any present/gift for her.
14. Beatrice got up late this morning. As a result, she missed the train.
15. Justin felt so weak that he had to sit down.
16. The movie was so funny that the audience kept laughing (hard).
17. To kill time, Ross listened to music on the bus.
18. Erin ate popcorn to kill time before the movie began.
19. Franklin insists on drinking orange juice only.
20. Erica insists on visiting a different country every summer.
21. No one believes Julian’s excuse because it does not make sense.
22. Virginia likes this novel because the plot makes sense.
23. Oliver bought a new car. As for the old one, he sold it to his younger brother at a low price.
24. Theodore likes to play online games. As for his younger sister, she likes (playing) sports/exercising.
1. C 2. D 3. B 4. B 5. A 6. A 7. D 8. C 9. D 10. B
1. He left his cell phone at home, so he went back to get it.
2. He had been checking his cell phone and sending text messages.
3. Because Adam was so preoccupied with talking to his friends and checking his messages.
4. We talk to others, listen to music, check e-mail, and download information with our cell phones.
5. Our dependence on cell phones has made them gradually become a necessity rather than a luxury.
6. They may feel anxious or depressed when they are not using their phones.
7. People who suffer from disconnect anxiety often check their cell phones for any missed calls or messages. Additionally, they would keep calling or sending text messages to their contacts－even just to kill time.
8. They will insist on returning home to get their “cells.”
1. C 2. A 3. B 4. D 5. B
1. Claudia had been typing on the computer for the whole morning yesterday.
2. As a result, her eyes and fingers were sore.
3. Roger was angry because Eileen insisted on changing their travel plan.
4. He even hung up without saying goodbye.
5. Lillian likes to play cell phone games to kill time.
6. Her habit is similar to mine.
7. I ate nothing but an apple and a chicken sandwich yesterday.
8. Jewel talked so fast that her friends did not understand what she said.
9. Ruby likes to watch movies rather than go shopping in her free time.
10. Zoe explained the idea of the book as if she knew a lot about it.
11. It makes sense to enjoy using a cell phone./Enjoying using a cell phone makes sense.
12. As for Adam, he should leave the cell phone at home if he wants to see Vicky again.
1. My cell phone plays a very important role in my daily life.
2. With a cell phone, I can contact my friends and family wherever I go. It brings so much convenience.
3. If I no longer have a cell phone, I may go crazy or be out of my mind because I cannot do what I am used to doing with it.
4. I will be sad and bored and may save money to buy a new cell phone as soon as possible.
My cell phone really dominates my life. With it, I can contact my family and friends, play games to kill time, use its built-in alarm clock to wake me up in the morning, and even take pictures of what I see no matter when and where. Now I can’t imagine a life without cell phones. If I no longer have a cell phone, I may panic because I cannot do what I’m used to doing with it. Instead of thinking up a way to get rid of this addiction, I’ll save enough money to get a new one as soon as possible!