• Each player (team) draws two 10x10 grids on their paper. The grids should be labeled with letters across the top (A through J) and numbers down the side (1 through 10). One of the grids should be labeled "Self" and the other labeled "Opponent."
• Each player (team) then decides where to place his five ships: a five-space aircraft carrier, a four-space battleship, a three-space submarine, a three-space cruiser and a two-space destroyer. Students use word lists to choose words containing particular numbers of letters required.
• None of the ships may be placed diagonally; they must all be placed in straight lines either horizontally or vertically. It is legal (but not required) for two or more ships to be adjacent to each other.
• The ships are marked by writing appropriate words in spaces.
• Players take turns taking shots at each other. A shot is taken by calling out the coordinates of a space on the 10x10 grid.
• Each player takes one shot at a time.
• If the player calls the coordinates of a space where a ship is located, his opponent tells him so by saying "hit." If he missed, his opponent says "miss."
• It is allowed to guess letters hidden in the ships as it is in Hangman, so e.g. if you think your opponent’s aircraft carrier represents the word ALIBI and you have just guessed some of the letters correctly, you can just say what the whole word is and your opponent has to admit that you have hit and sunk his ship.
• Players should take care to mark the shots they take on their "Opponent" grid, and whether each shot was a hit or a miss, so that they don't call any space more than once. Players may also mark the "Self" grid with shots taken by their opponent.
• A ship is sunk when all of its squares have been hit. When this happens, the player whose ship was sunk says, for example, "You sank my battleship."
• The first player to destroy all of his opponent's ships wins the game.
Two- and Three-Letter Words
aa ab ad ae ag ah ai al am an ar as at aw ax ay ba be bi bo
by de do ed ef eh el em en er es et ex fa go ha he hi hm ho
id if in is it jo ka la li lo ma me mi mm mo mu my na ne no
nu od oe of oh om on op or os ow ox oy pa pe pi re sh si so
ta ti to uh um un up us ut we wo xi xu ya ye yo
aah aal aas aba abo abs aby ace act add ado ads adz aff aft
aga age ago aha aid ail aim ain air ais ait ala alb ale all
alp als alt ama ami amp amu ana and ane ani ant any ape apt
arb arc are arf ark arm ars art ash ask asp ass ate att auk
ava ave avo awa awe awl awn axe aye ays azo
baa bad bag bah bal bam ban bap bar bas bat bay bed bee beg
bel ben bet bey bib bid big bin bio bis bit biz boa bob bod
bog boo bop bos bot bow box boy bra bro brr bub bud bug bum
bun bur bus but buy bye bys
cab cad cam can cap car cat caw cay cee cel cep chi cis cob
cod cog col con coo cop cor cos cot cow cox coy coz cry cub
cud cue cum cup cur cut cwm
dab dad dag dah dak dal dam dap daw day deb dee del den dev